Author Topic: Miyamoto working on StarFox for the Wii U!!  (Read 8835 times)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Miyamoto working on StarFox for the Wii U!!
« on: June 10, 2014, 10:36:52 AM »
And 2 other games.
I'll update with more later

http://time.com/2850146/shigeru-miyamoto-nintendo-interview/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

n one of the games, which Miyamoto called Project Giant Robot, players control sky-scraping automatons, angling the Wii U GamePad in front of a TV screen while shifting their torsos left and right or up and down to maneuver the robot’s upper-body while thumbing the controller’s joysticks to punch or grab — almost like a full-body game of Rock ‘Em Sock ‘Em Robots. The GamePad shows you what the robot sees, while the TV screen offers a zoomed-back view, letting onlookers — as well as you — admire your tromping, pummeling handiwork.

In another, titled Project Guard, the GamePad became a quick-jump map of a fortress manned by numbered, laser-firing security cameras. As robots encroach on different entry points, you have to tap the GamePad to leap from camera to camera, blasting enemies that trundle or come at you sprinting — even some that sneak under your radar. All the while, onlookers can shout out the numbers that correspond to robot-threatened camera feeds, turning your defense operations into a frenetic, heart-racing, tap-and-fire scramble.

And the third project? A game Nintendo fans have been waiting for a very long time to see: Star Fox is back, only reimagined on the Wii U using Miyamoto’s new GamePad-based controls — controls that’ll ask of players things they’ve never had to do before in a video game. Whether they’ll come willing or balk remains to be seen, but Miyamoto is convinced he’s on to a control scheme that’s not only novel, but with practice, indispensable.

Pics and descriptions at the link
« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 10:39:51 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
Re: Miyamoto working on StarFox for the Wii U!!
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2014, 10:46:07 AM »
Looks like somebody at Time is about to get fired for not knowing the differences in Time Zones.  I imagine Nintendo isn't happy this was posted over an hour before the Direct. 

Anyway, can't wait to see the Star Fox footage in the Direct.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2014, 10:50:53 AM »
Makes sense. When I was making my predications as to what we might see, I felt this would be the Star Fox's time with most franchises having gotten some love of late. Looks like Time may have posted their article a bit earlier. While it lessens some of the potential surprises to come, it's still good news in any event. Miyamoto seems to have a soft spot for Star Fox so I'm glad he's helping out with this. Some interesting tidbits from the article:

How long have you been working on the new Star Fox game?

We originally began working with Star Fox back on Wii, and we had a small group of people experimenting with it for many years, maybe about six years, but we didn’t find an idea that really brought that together for the Wii. So instead we moved experimentation to the Wii U using some of the same assets. It’s been maybe 6 to 10 months that we’ve been experimenting with it.

You said at the event that all of these games might be related. In what way? As part of a single Star Fox game? Or as something more multiform and arcade-like, like Nintendo Land?

Honestly I don’t have a clear idea myself yet, but one thing I’m thinking is that with this Star Fox we may take a different approach, so that rather than one big title we have multiple releases that are connected through different missions. If I was to describe the Star Fox series up until now as being sort of a movie series, I guess I’d describe this new approach as something that’s more like a TV series for Star Fox.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Nile Boogie Returns

• Tropical Freeze
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2014, 10:57:11 AM »
...and so it begins!

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2014, 11:00:00 AM »
One note of caution:

Project Giant Robot and Project Guard are still considered experimental at this point, and Star Fox is at least a year away, but I had a chance to sit down with Mr. Miyamoto after trying all three.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2014, 11:00:12 AM »
The article was removed. It will probably be back later today. GamePad-based motion controls might not be greeted with open arms by fans who have been waiting for a sequel for nearly a decade. It still nice to see Nintendo trying to implement the GamePad.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2014, 11:26:31 AM »
It's great to have a new Star Fox game. It's been too long since the last one. However, in today's market this game can't be the traditional 2 hour-long Star Fox experience. Not for $60. The market has changed too much for that value proposition to make sense anymore. I'm interested to learn more in the Direct.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2014, 11:30:09 AM »
It's still there.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2014, 11:32:30 AM »
But what if they launch it at $39.99? I figure it's unlikely...but they might.

This whole $60 starting price mess has got to stop. It's getting ridiculous.
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2014, 11:35:57 AM »
But what if they launch it at $39.99? I figure it's unlikely...but they might.

This whole $60 starting price mess has got to stop. It's getting ridiculous.

If your game's 2 hours long, the market's pretty much set the acceptable price at $20 (the price of something like Transistor or Journey).  Even with great replay value, $40 is a bit much for a game as short as Star Fox is traditionally.

Oh, and there's better be an option for traditional controls. I thought we were past the era of dumb, forced motion controls in 1st party Nintendo titles.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2014, 11:53:43 AM »
It's still there.
It's back up now, but Time definitely took it down for a while.
I thought we were past the era of dumb, forced motion controls in 1st party Nintendo titles.
Why do you think that's true? Nintendo still puts motion controls in their games.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2014, 11:55:52 AM »
I thought we were past the era of dumb, forced motion controls in 1st party Nintendo titles.
Why do you think that's true? Nintendo still puts motion controls in their games.

Yes, but not forced motion controls so much anymore, where you have no other options. I'm not playing a Star Fox game by waving the GamePad around. **** that.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2014, 11:59:24 AM »
Well then, I guess you have no need to check in to this thread and comment on the game anymore. Bye-bye.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2014, 12:13:55 PM »
If only a F-Zero game is announced for the Wii U.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2014, 12:31:15 PM »
New IP from Miyamoto sounds exciting in theory but that all the Gamepad usage completely turns me off.  Miyamoto seems really interested in that kind of stuff and it's sad when I realize that my tastes and his have gone in different directions.  I'm not interested in gimmick controller games and won't buy that crap from Nintendo or anyone else ever again.

Hopefully Star Fox can bounce back to respectibility but then I see Gamepad motion control nonsense is involved so, again, I'm not interested.  It's the catch-22 of the Wii U.  They make us buy the Gamepad so you figure they should use it but the Gamepad also sucks so the games will turn out better if they ignore it and just use traditional controls.

So what situation can play out where Nintendo will be encouraged to make Star Fox games again and have Miyamoto create new IP but will be discouraged from using gimmick controllers?  How do I vote with my dollar on one part but not the other?  Nintendo would probably just interpret my vote as a blanket approval or rejection of the whole thing.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2014, 12:59:05 PM »
Well, at least you're able to judge and know exactly how great or bad the controls are by having not seen a single second of footage involving them or tried them in action. If only you worked Nintendo and could instantly predict the future for them on all things like this.

As for me, I'll do what I always do and reserve judgement until I've actually played the item in question. What a novel concept.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2014, 01:01:16 PM »
It never went down for me, but I'm on a Nexus 7 so maybe there wasan error in the script that kept the page up on tablets, etc. It was say page not found but then it would refresh automatically and show the article, every time since BnM first showed the link.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2014, 01:12:54 PM »
Well, at least you're able to judge and know exactly how great or bad the controls are by having not seen a single second of footage involving them or tried them in action. If only you worked Nintendo and could instantly predict the future for them on all things like this.

After all the years with the Wii I can pretty safetly say that I personally don't like motion controls and have no interest in using them.  If Nintendo or anyone else was going to prove me wrong on motion controls they would have done so years ago.  It would be a miracle for Nintendo to win me over on that concept now.  For me motion controls = BAD, 100% of the time.  You might like it and it might work for you but for me it means the game will be a chore to play.  It's no different than if Nintendo went with a genre I don't like or made a sequel to a game I didn't like.  I know the routine with Nintendo and motion controls and I'm not interested.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2014, 01:19:11 PM »
Well then, I guess you have no need to check in to this thread and comment on the game anymore. Bye-bye.

Defensive, much? All I asked for was the option to use traditional controls rather than unreliable, stupid motion controls. If you want to look like a Disney Animatronic playing Star Fox, good for you, but it's not my thing.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2014, 01:22:35 PM »
broodwars pls leave

Guess I'm not the only one who doesn't need your pointless bitching.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2014, 02:13:13 PM »

Defensive, much? All I asked for was the option to use traditional controls rather than unreliable, stupid motion controls. If you want to look like a Disney Animatronic playing Star Fox, good for you, but it's not my thing.

Not at all. I am simply responding to your dismissivness with dismissiveness of my own. Isn't it nice when everyone posts with that type of attitude?

Yes, but not forced motion controls so much anymore, where you have no other options. I'm not playing a Star Fox game by waving the GamePad around. **** that.

That's what you call asking for the option to have traditional controls instead of motion controls? Cause I see a lot of grouching and not much asking.

After all the years with the Wii I can pretty safetly say that I personally don't like motion controls and have no interest in using them.  If Nintendo or anyone else was going to prove me wrong on motion controls they would have done so years ago.  It would be a miracle for Nintendo to win me over on that concept now.  For me motion controls = BAD, 100% of the time.  You might like it and it might work for you but for me it means the game will be a chore to play.  It's no different than if Nintendo went with a genre I don't like or made a sequel to a game I didn't like.  I know the routine with Nintendo and motion controls and I'm not interested.

But it's not the motion controls of a Wiimote. It's a different kind. Moreover, most of it is still with buttons. The motion controls are simply to move the camera for the screen on your gamepad. But again, judge away. After all, no one has ever looked foolish judging a matter before gathering all the facts on it.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2014, 02:41:14 PM »
broodwars pls leave

Guess I'm not the only one who doesn't need your pointless bitching.
He's contributed more to the conversation then you have.

« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2014, 09:25:12 PM »
New IP from Miyamoto sounds exciting in theory but that all the Gamepad usage completely turns me off.  Miyamoto seems really interested in that kind of stuff and it's sad when I realize that my tastes and his have gone in different directions.  I'm not interested in gimmick controller games and won't buy that crap from Nintendo or anyone else ever again.

Hopefully Star Fox can bounce back to respectibility but then I see Gamepad motion control nonsense is involved so, again, I'm not interested.  It's the catch-22 of the Wii U.  They make us buy the Gamepad so you figure they should use it but the Gamepad also sucks so the games will turn out better if they ignore it and just use traditional controls.

So what situation can play out where Nintendo will be encouraged to make Star Fox games again and have Miyamoto create new IP but will be discouraged from using gimmick controllers?  How do I vote with my dollar on one part but not the other?  Nintendo would probably just interpret my vote as a blanket approval or rejection of the whole thing.

He started out as an artist, he hasn't changed YOU have damn man. The game pad is probably the perfect tool for an artist to see his games on, not a clunky decades old technology that he had to work with because he had no choice.
Trying to be a better person, honest.

Offline the asylum

• Score: -28
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2014, 09:49:55 PM »

There's always next year

There's always next year

*squirms in straightjacket, rocks slowly against padded wall*

There's always next year....

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2014, 10:11:40 PM »

There's always next year

There's always next year

*squirms in straightjacket, rocks slowly against padded wall*

There's always next year....

Yet another reason to look forward to 2015: the year of F-Zero, Half Life 3, The Last Guardian, Beyond Good & Evil 2, & a North American localization for Mother 3. #E3HypeTrain
« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 10:32:48 PM by broodwars »