Author Topic: Correct Chronological Order for Legend of Zelda???  (Read 11041 times)

Offline theaveng

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
Correct Chronological Order for Legend of Zelda???
« on: February 07, 2003, 02:04:17 PM »
Hello. I'm a newbie to the whole Zelda legend. I'd like to play the games in proper chronological order if possible. Can you guys tell if this is the correct order to play?

- N64: Ocarina of Time (Link#1:genesis)
- N64: Masks of Majora (alternate dimension:Termina)
-
- NGC: The Wind Waker (Link#2:100 yrs later)
-
- SNES: A Link to the Past (Link#3: xx yrs later)
- GBC: Oracle of Ages/Seasons (sidequests:Holodrum/Labryna)
- GBC: Link's Awakening (Link#3:lost at sea...Koholint Island)
-
- NES: The Legend Of Zelda (Link#4: xx yrs later)
- NES: The Adventure Of Link (Link#4:side-quest)

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2003, 02:05:39 PM »
Playing the game in chonological order isn't logical, Captain.  

Seriously, play them in the order they were released.  It'll make more sense that way, not to mention it'll be more fun.  
:: Rob "Rick Powers" Stevens
:: Senior Editor Emeritus
:: Personal Blog
:: Wii Number: 7294 0910 3012 6153

Offline theaveng

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2003, 02:26:13 PM »
Too late.  I already played the N64 game.  So, I'll just follow the timeline.

Offline sycomonkey

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
    • my blog
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2003, 03:59:40 PM »
It's not really that cut and dry.  The Zelda series doesn't really have a chronology, they are just loosely based stories, Zelda OoT and Majora's are sequels, but that's as far as it goes.  NoA may claim 100 year differnce for Wind Waker or something but the fact that the Hyrulian map changes so much tells me that there really isn't any concrete connection between the games...

I find the lack of sig images annoying. I have this nice image I use as my sig in all my other forums and I can't use it here.  So instead I'll just complain...

The universe will not be altered by forum threads, even those which are very wry. --Tycho Brahe (Penny Arcade)

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2003, 04:45:20 PM »
What the last guy said is pretty accurate.  Nintendo's recently said that it's a new Link in every game. However I would go along with the original post's time-line the way the stories have been presented over the years.  The only thing that's shakey is the placement of the Oracle games since there's no telling when they or The Four Swords take place.  The others are pretty clear, but again it's kind of a fruitless endeavor to try to weave all of their stories together.
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline Attrox

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2003, 06:11:52 PM »
Well, if you really want the order, here you go:

Legend of Zelda (NES)
Adventures of Link (NES)
A Link to the Past (SNES)
Link's Awakenig (GBC)
Ocarina of Time (N64)
Majora's Mask (N64)
Oracle of Seasons (GBC)
Oracle of Ages (GBC)
A Link to the Past w/Four Swords (GBA)

There were some other games along the way, such as the CD-i games, but you don't want to play them -- trust me. As for playing in order, along with others who posted...I don't suggest doing that. Play Majora's Mask, Ocarina of Time, and A Link to the Past for sure, those are the ones you will most likely enjoy post.  
Attrox - Webmaster of the Great Deku Tree
http://www.gdtree.com/

Offline Ricky

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2003, 08:56:20 PM »
I read a pretty intresting article on the N-Sider site concerning the proper order of the Zelda games in terms of how they fit on a timeline.  Their theory supports multiple characters named Zelda and Link.  It cleared up a lot of questions I had, so maybe this will be what you're looking for. Here's a link to their article:

Zelda Series Timeline

Offline uwvark

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2003, 08:45:22 AM »
Yours looks pretty close, theaveng. The only thing I'd tell you to change is that LA happens halfway thru AoL.
POWER, WISDOM, & COURAGE

Offline Gibdo Master

• JA! MEIN LEAPEN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2003, 11:23:11 AM »
Ugg, you got that from the www.zelda.com timeline didn't you. Please ignore that timeline. If you just glance over that timeline it makes sense but once you start to dig even a little you'll realize it makes no sense at all. In order to make that timeline work they ignored a sh*t load of things that the manuals and games state out right as fact. It's also not official despite the fact it was on the official site. After all when they first put up that timeline they tried to say there was only one Link. I don't know what the timeline says now but that was proved wrong by Miyamoto himself. You should read an article at loz.zeldalegends.net that shows why the zelda.com timeline doesn't work.

Personally I'm going to wait till I play Wind Waker before I lay down my timeline again. From the spoilers I have read I think it will definitely open things up as far as which game goes where. I just what to get my hands on the game to make sure.  
Hey, kid! I’m a computer! Stop all the downloadin’! Help computer!

Offline Hero of Time

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2003, 04:07:47 PM »
The timeline I go with is this:

Link I:
Ocarina of Time
Majora's Mask

Link II:
The Wind Waker
Four Swords

Link III:
A Link to the Past
Link's Awakening

Link IV:
Oracle of Ages
Oracle of Seasons

Link V:
Legend of Zelda
Advanture of Link

I think WW and FS go together because of Link's personal appearance. Look at each game's official art. Both have Link with a green tunic, lighter green sleeves, and white pants. Even the medallion on their belt is the same!

Some people put LA after Oracle, but when you think about it, this doesn't make sense. It was the Hyrulians, not the Holodrumians or Lybrannians or whatever that were concerned about Ganon's ashes. Also, Link met Zelda for the first time in ALttP, and mistakes Marin for her in LA, because he remembers Zelda but not too well.

Also, this timeline fits together because each Link has 2 adventures. No one Link is more significant than another. Also, each pair of games one Link is in were released subsequently. MM was right after OoT, WW as right after FS, LA was right after ALttP, OoA and OoS were released at the same time, and AoL was right after LoZ. That's it for me.

Offline uwvark

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2003, 04:22:16 PM »
So by that logic, tWW should go after FS then, eh?
POWER, WISDOM, & COURAGE

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2003, 11:59:53 AM »
Hero of Time's is pretty much the same as what I go with.  Again, the only difference is that Four Swords and the Oracle games don't really seem to have any strong connection to other games to place them in a time line.
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline dannyjclark

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2003, 11:52:51 AM »
one problem.
i think the oracle games do have a significant spot in the timeline.
when you beat both of them, you get an extended ending which shows link on a raft, waving to the people.
the triforce changes into 3 seagulls, and link goes out after it. If you listen closely, you might be able to hear the windfish calling...

LINK I
Ocarina of Time
Majora's Mask

LINK II
Wind Waker
Four Swords

LINK III
Link to the Past
Oracle of Seasons - Power
Oracle of Ages - Wisdom
Link's Awakening - Courage

LINK IV
The Legend of Zelda
Adventure of Link

Well, there you go. I posted this awhile back on the old forums, but I don't think too many people saw it. I haven't been able to find any problems with this timeline, and if you've got one, I'd sure like to hear it.

Offline pSYCO-gAMER321

• my giant image signature is still kewl
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2003, 02:25:58 PM »
dANNYJCLARK actually is getting somewhere, if you ACTUALLY looked & listen to the extended ending in the Oricals:
raft, segalls, "wind fish" and it fits in the awakining and the LttP.
for the NES, pretty much end of adventure, he has magic powers so that'll kill for that sequal.
Dont forget, that Wind Walker/Lttp-4 sword connection, I wonder what's in it?
This account is over 5 years old.  o.o
FC(JPN): 2781-3170-5058-4631
FC(USA): 4793-8665-4989-8838
SSBB(JPN) 3351-3351-3953

Offline Gibdo Master

• JA! MEIN LEAPEN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2003, 03:45:30 PM »
What I want to know is how serious are we supposed to take the Oracle games when it comes to fitting them in the storyline. I'm curious as to whether Miyamoto supplied the story that Capcom was supposed to use or if they were allowed to make their own story up. If Capcom made the story for the games I personally would treat them like the CDi games. At least when it comes to fitting them in the story line anyway since the Oracle games are okay as games.

They fit in pretty good as a prequel to Link's Awakening but as a sequel to A Link to the Past everything falls apart. After you have defeated Ganon in A Link to the Past the Essence of the Triforce tells you, "But now, you have totally destroyed Ganon. His Dark World will vanish.". Later on just before the credits start to roll you are shown a shot of the Master Sword back in the Lost Woods with Link walking away from it. At the bottom of the screen it says, "And the Master Sword sleeps again... Forever!".

All that tells me that A. Ganon was finally dead, gone, no more B. The Dark World was turned back into the Golden Land and therefore all the monsters would have been turned back to normal C. That the Master Sword was never used again. After all if Ganon was completely destroyed the Master Sword wouldn't need to be used again.

The problem with the Oracle games is they ignore all of the above. Ganon is resurrected at the end of the game, General Onox is from the Dark World, and one of the swords you can get is the Master Sword. You could try and say that the Oracle game happen before A Link to the Past but you can't do that if you want them to be prequels to Link's Awakening since one of the Nightmares was in the form of Agahnim. The only time Link encountered Agahnim was in A Link to the Past so that means Link's Awakening has to take place after that. I pretty sure that Link's Awakening doesn't contradict the ending to A Link to the Past. If I'm not mistaken the Master Sword wasn't in the game and although one of the Nightmares looked like Ganon it wasn't actually Ganon. It was just a Nightmare portraying itself as Ganon. I know there definitely wasn't any references to the Dark World. So either we ignore these problems and try to cram the Oracle games in the time line anyway or we ignore the Oracle games.  

By the way if you don't believe me about what is said in the ending of A Link to the Past just click here and see the ending for yourself.  

Offline dannyjclark

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2003, 04:39:12 PM »
Well, then what about the original Legend of Zelda? Wouldn't that contridict all of the above as well?
Ganon's in that one too ya know, as well as Adventure of Link. Well, he is if you die.
Ganon and his minions will always find a way to bring him back.

Offline Gibdo Master

• JA! MEIN LEAPEN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2003, 05:48:03 PM »
Well, you see I have recently started leaning more towards the idea that A Link to the Past should be at the end of the series. One reason is because of the games ending which I talked about in my above post. Another reason is that in an interview shortly after Ocarina of Time had been released Miyamoto himself said the time line is: Ocarina of Time, Legend of Zelda, Adventures of Link, A Link to the Past, and Link's Awakening could go anywhere. Of course that timeline is out of date since there have been a few games released since then. Anyway at the time even though I liked this time line there were just to many arguments against it so I went with the time line like most everyone else has that puts Adventures of Link at the end.

Well the thing of it is I have read just about every Wind Waker spoiler I can get my hands on and the story of the game more or less makes many of the arguments against A Link to the Past being at the end obsolete. Of course I plan on playing Wind Waker before I make my final decision on things but I'm fairly confident that with Wind Waker in the equation putting A Link to the Past at the end will work. It kind of sucks right now though since I can't really go into detail with things unless someone is willing to have the game spoiled.  

Offline dannyjclark

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2003, 06:09:52 PM »
a gerudo male is born every 1,000 years. (EDIT: 100 years. Sorry, my bad.)
so then isn't it possible to have more than one ganon?
uh huh.

and i know the entire storyline to windwaker, all spoilers included. and i still think adventure of link is the last in the series.  

Offline Gibdo Master

• JA! MEIN LEAPEN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2003, 07:29:22 AM »
A Gerudo male is born every 100 years not every 1,000.

Spoiler Warning

Since you've read all the spoilers I guess I can give you my reasons. First of all there hasn't been anything I've read about Wind Waker that makes it so A Link to the Past has to go at the end it's just that it makes it so it's possible. One of the biggest arguments I know for not putting A Link to the Past at the end was that since Ganondorf was trapped in the Sacred Realm at the end of Ocarina and was in it during A Link to the Past they must be sequels to each other. Putting The Legend of Zelda and Adventures of Link between Ocarina and A Link to the Past would mean you would have to explain how Ganondorf escaped from the Sacred Realm and then got back in for A Link to the Past. Well, guess what. Since Wind Waker has Ganondorf escaping from the Sacred Realm you will have to have a game explaining how he gets back in the Sacred Realm anyway. Also at the end of Wind Waker he still isn't in the Sacred Realm. This means that if Nintendo wants there to be any kind of consistent story line they are going to have to make a game at some point where Ganondorf is sent back in the Sacred Realm. In my story line this game would be placed after the Adventures of Link. Ganon would be resurrected in the game and when Link battles him he would get trapped back in the Dark World which would then allow for the events of A Link to the Past to happen many years later.

If you can think of any other arguments against putting A Link to the Past at the end please tell me. Seriously, I want to see if having A Link to the Past at the end with Wind Waker's story in mind will work. I have thought of like three of the main arguments I have heard over the years and been able to explain them (one I did above) but I'm sure I've forgotten a few.

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2003, 09:16:42 AM »
I never even thought about how Ganon breaking out of the Sacred Realm affected LttP.  Just another reason, not to take this timeline thing so seriously because there are always going to be holes.  Nintendo just makes new stories that are sometimes based on previous stories, and they don't bother too much with connecting all of them into one cohesive storyline.
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline dannyjclark

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2003, 11:22:25 AM »
sorry about the 1,000 thing. my bad.

possible spoiler warning

but if wind waker takes place 100 years after ocarina of time, wouldnt ganon be the second one? seems like a pretty significant date to me.

Ganon 1 --
Ocarina of time

Ganon 2 --
Wind Waker

Ganon 1 and 3-- (Agahnim being Ganon 3, who helps Ganon 1 out of the Dark World)
Link to the Past

Ganon 4
Legend of Zelda

Make sense?

this timeline makes sense to me, and you wouldn't have to add in another game to have a constant storyline.