Author Topic: Metroid Prime 2  (Read 24420 times)

Offline Dr Synthetic

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Metroid Prime 2
« Reply #50 on: February 10, 2003, 02:38:28 PM »
I'm looking forward to the second Metroid game by Retro, and I'm glad it's on the GC.  It can use all the help it gets to sell more consoles.

I do hope, though, that it'll be the last Retro Metroid title.  After this, it's time to do it internally again.  I've lost no faith in Retro at all, but this makes yet another Nintendo property that's being given to another dev. team (regardless of the fact that it's second party), and I'd like for them to prove to me that they can still do it, even though I know they can.  Get the Super Metroid team on it... because I don't care how good Prime is... it was AMAZING... but it just doesn't stack up to Super Metroid, which I feel is probably the best game of all time.

The last thing I really want is for Metroid to stay a first-person game from here on out.
I'll show you a trick with ants...

Offline VariantX

• View Profile
Metroid Prime 2
« Reply #51 on: February 10, 2003, 03:48:39 PM »
 Metroid is all about the upgrades and atmosphere.  Give me more creative upgrades and gadgets and even better level design and more creative ways to get around in it and im sold.   I cant really say anything torwards difficulty..... since..... none of the games really were that difficult.... maybe the first metroid game...  

Offline Sean

• View Profile
Metroid Prime 2
« Reply #52 on: February 14, 2003, 11:41:47 AM »
Dr. Synthetic...I think Nintendo will continue to dole out licenses to co-develop with other dev. teams.  Think about it: if Nintendo hadn't done that with Metroid Prime, it quite probably wouldn't have been made (couple the workload with the fact that Japan couldn't care less, nearly, about Metroid, and you've got a big reason why Nintendo shepherded Metroid out).  

Nintendo is great, but they are only so big, and we all know they are perfectionists, usually, too.  They could have done no better thing than to hire great programmers, etc. and to work side-by-side with them to make more games than ever before.  Very, very smart.  I wouldn't have it any other way.  I mean, in the end, Metroid Prime, a so-called "second party title," was better than many first party titles.  That's truly an amazing accomplishment and a testament to the fact that Nintendo is one of the best collaborators/leaders/creative directors out there when they aren't the sole makers.
"I think that if the devil does not exist,
and man has therefore created him,
he has created him in his own image and likeness."
from Fyodor Dostoevsky's THE BROTHERS KARAMAZOV

Offline BlkPaladin

• Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
Metroid Prime 2
« Reply #53 on: February 15, 2003, 03:03:15 PM »
Just that you have to be quick and try to duck into the burrows when it starts to ram. The next form does give you a change to recharge and its easier to dodge all of its attacks.

The following was going to be my reply to the graphical updates in MP:2

Droping to 30 solid FPS will not effect the game what so ever in my opinion. I may be wrong but isn't Blue Storm was set at 30 FPS and that didn't seems to effect the gameplay. There will be some graphical improvments in the next installment since they will have time tweek the current engine to get better profromance. So maybe the drop maynot be as nessary as some think it is.
Stupidity is lost on my. Then again I'm almost always lost.

Offline Sleepyfoo

• View Profile
Metroid Prime 2
« Reply #54 on: February 15, 2003, 03:53:31 PM »
yes but I actually do notice it when you change the resolution.  In metroid when you move and when anything moves it all seems extremely crisp.  Think about super smash bros melee in 30fps.  Well, I'm not really a graphics whore, but i am a fps whore.  I've played halo, and frankly, the thing that turned me off the most was the way it felt when you got in the vehicles.  It felt like you were controlling the person or car, instead of being the person, or driving the car.  See, when you would turn a car, it felt kinda...sluggish.  And this is because of 30 fps. While it looks great, it feels...not so great.  At least, that's what I thought.

Offline Calibretto

• View Profile
Metroid Prime 2
« Reply #55 on: February 15, 2003, 05:38:56 PM »
I dissagree with those who worry about Metriod being "sequalized into meidocrity" by releasing another Metriod game on the same sysytem.  Nintendo released two Zelda games on the Nintendo64 , and they were both excellent, and they even used the same engine.  Even if they did not improve the engine or graphics, I do not doubt Nintendo's and Retro's ability to make the Metriod Prime 2 a great game.  I can not wait for the next Metriod, and am happy that another is comming so soon.  Nintendo knows what they are doing; trust them.
"This makes the master of the Gun-Katas an opponent not to be taken lightly..."

Offline SUPERTUPI

• View Profile
Metroid Prime 2
« Reply #56 on: February 15, 2003, 05:45:29 PM »
After finishing Prime i would say that my wish list should have:

-  Bump mapping and better use of lights. The sunlight is very realistic when you look direct to the sun in chozo ruins, but in inside locals the light seems very fake; The armor coul really get a felling of a real samus.

- Other visors. It is something pretty unique that stands metroid prime apart from other games. Retro could really work on the visor for really breath taking innovations like said before for another user. Instead of being every time the same, they could differ in various situations. The visor could show mal functions.

- More different armors. A white pearl mettalic one with the visor in red would be cool. Organic technology could be aplied, more than in fusion. Some sort of secret chozo technology.

- More weapons and other upgrades for the ball.

- Night and day cicles. That could change the life cycle. Some predators could be seen just at night. Some regions could be very dangerous to go on a specific time of the day.

- A really impressive history. The pirates could reach the chozo home planet, technologies beyond compreension.  The federal confederation coul be seen in a political way, like dealing with the space pirates and trying to eliminate Samus with "others" bounty hunters (that could work well on a multiplayer combat, imagine playing a multiplayer controlling ridley)

- More complex outdoors environments.  A destroyed city in the ways of the beggining of Final Fantasy - The Spirits within. Being played at night.

- There should be more than a world. And sometimes you should travel to one another. It would be cool to call the ship

- The water sould be redone. It´s very well implemented when samus gets out of the water, but really bad when she´s out of it. Scenaries partially under water with reflections a la resident evil sharks pool or alien ressurection. The pirate speceship under water was a try for this, but it was a pretty dull and boring ambient.

- voice acting. If its well done, then ppl will forget the "samus should not talk" thing.  

We don´t have that power wich in old days moved earth and haven,

That wich we are we are,

One equal temper of heroic hearts made weak by time and fate, but strong in will,

To seek, to find, to strive and not to wield.

Nintendo Forever...

Offline Hemmorrhoid

• View Profile
Metroid Prime 2
« Reply #57 on: February 16, 2003, 06:00:33 AM »

Droping to 30 solid FPS will not effect the game what so ever in my opinion. I may be wrong but isn't Blue Storm was set at 30 FPS and that didn't seems to effect the gameplay. There will be some graphical improvments in the next installment since they will have time tweek the current engine to get better profromance. So maybe the drop maynot be as nessary as some think it is.

I think vastly upgrading the game and upkeeping 60FPS should be no problem at all. Its not like Metroid Prime uses up all of the GCN hardware power, probably just about 50% or less (FFX used 60% of PS2 hardware).

THeres much room for graphical improvement, and bumpmapping alone could upgrade the games graphics quality by like 30%, add more polys and effects etc.

For the gameplay, im sure they are innovative enough to take this game on the next level, and I wouldnt be surprised to see a game thats much better than MP2 in any respect by middle of 2004.

And I hope Retro and EAD also work on a GCN2 Metroid in the future.
LZ 2005

Offline AGENTDICKLAURENT

• View Profile
Metroid Prime 2
« Reply #59 on: February 16, 2003, 06:15:32 PM »
Yeah, that's quite shocking GF333.. oh wait, no it's not.

Offline LMSx

• View Profile
Metroid Prime 2
« Reply #60 on: February 16, 2003, 08:10:40 PM »
New thought-

Conditional hints.

Instead of a random 'climatological survey' spontaneously directing you to the Ice Beam, you head to the Gunship if the Well of Ways to Go runs dry. Options would pop up, as follows:

1) Geological Survey
-Geothermal
-Geoseismic
2) Atmospheric Survey
-Climatalogical
-Chemical waste (useful for detecting buildings like Phazon Mines, the Ore Processing room)
3) Electromagnetic Survey
-Communications
-Radiation

And so forth. It would add a touch of realism. For instance, if you wanted to detect Omega Pirate or Thardus (or any MASSIVE HONKING BOSS™), you'd go for Geoseismic or Radiation, since they give that off in droves. To locate someplace like the Phendrana Labs, you'd check Communications or Chemical Waste.

Again, taken to the extreme, I'd like a communicatory link-up with the ship computer, so if I'm stuck somewhere I could 'dial up'. Of course, in subterranean levels this hookup would be inoperative. This stems from my intense desire to actually have someone say something in Metroid Prime. I swear. It's creepy. She doesn't even say "Holy mother of...." when Metroid Prime drops from the ceiling and unfurls in the Phazon Infusion Chamber.

Offshoot Theory-

The closer you get to the Gunship, the more precise the hookup and survey will be. At some point you'll need to plant a transmitter to scan accurately in farther regions.  
Born to run-but prefers a brisk walk.....

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
Metroid Prime 2
« Reply #61 on: February 16, 2003, 10:15:35 PM »
Verminer, must you criticise everything i say? The was an obvious sarcastic remark.

Offline Hemmorrhoid

• View Profile
Metroid Prime 2
« Reply #62 on: February 17, 2003, 04:44:38 AM »
verminer and gamefreak333 why cant you keep your old names so i atleast recognize some decent people from the old boards

I think Samus needs to be more agile, one PGC review ( I think it was Daniel Bloodworth) criticized that Samus moved like a tank, thats a little exaggerated but she could be more agile, especially turns.
LZ 2005

Offline Mad Xenomorph

• View Profile
Metroid Prime 2
« Reply #63 on: February 17, 2003, 06:29:20 AM »
Here is my thoughts on Metroid Prime 2 (Just to note: I am only about half way through Prime (Grav suit) and Fusion (Speed boost), but I have won the rest of the games)

USE THE BROADBAND ADAPTER!
Yes, I know that it may ruin the continuity, BUT not if it was a big part of the game. Yes, Samus works alone, but I can't imagine that she is the ONLY bounty hunter. (I SEVERELY doubt she is the ONLY one in the Galaxy that even has her suit or ship) Heck, maybe even have a rival in the game (Like Sa-X), but out for the bounty. Maybe work together occasionally, maybe try and stop the other from suceeding, and just for fun, a multiplayer Deathmatch variant of the game.

Hmm... Metroid Pime LIVE. Take the whole planetary system, allow travel between the planets, have the game moderators throw in troubling stuff at random, choice of massively multiplayer or single player (single player campain can allow the multiplayer events to have effects in the single player game)

Speech. Not too much, but more little things. Samus talking to herself, intercepted radio signals, pirates chatting, etc.

Level Editor! (Save to your memory card)

Let me fly her SWEET little space ship! (Fly it to other parts of the planet, or even fight Prime in the air!)

LMSx has a good idea with the uplink, but I say take it a bit further: When in serious trouble, call in a sub-orbital strike from her ship.

Ooh! Cloak abilty! Flight pack! Buzzsaw Morph Ball! Deformable terrain! Zero-G combat!

Imagine a MMRPG version of Prime with all of the above: At least one planet would be a complete wasteland because of a massive number of people playing, fightinh, and just blowing the h311 out of the place.

Also, with how many times she has lost her abilities due to little things (Radiation spike, viral invasion), why doesn't she make a backup of her abilities software and have someone try to reverse-engineer her armor and weapons, you know, just incase.

Offline PaLaDiN

• I'm your new travel agent!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
Metroid Prime 2
« Reply #64 on: February 17, 2003, 06:48:24 AM »
The thing is, she IS the only one with her suit and abilities.

Unless the Chozo raised someone else from birth and gave him/her another suit and Chozo-infused blood, that someone else also got infected by X and was injected with a Metroid vaccine, that someone else also has a reason for choosing a bounty hunting career and that someone else bumps into Samus somehow.

Highly unlikely... to say the least.
<BR><BR>It shone, pale as bone, <BR>As I stood there alone...

Offline Mad Xenomorph

• View Profile
Metroid Prime 2
« Reply #65 on: February 17, 2003, 06:59:42 AM »
Yeah, I realize that about the suit now. Thought about it after I posted that and I looked around on the web and found a resource.

Well, there are always SIMILAR suits. I mean, in the comic, there WAS Armstrong Houston, so there are other bounty hunters.

As for the X Vaccine, yeah, of course she is the only one. Probally should have specified I was talking about pre-fusion...

Offline Hemmorrhoid

• View Profile
Metroid Prime 2
« Reply #66 on: February 17, 2003, 07:07:52 AM »
Yeah it wont be a MMORPG ever. Its gonna be just in the style of Metroid Prime, vastly enhanced gameplay and graphics, bigger etc, maybe even some online components.

But making it an MMORPG would SUCK, either thered be like 100 000 Samuses whcih would suck, or 100 000 different characters, which would suck because its impossible to do, and because everyone wants to be Samus.

I WANT BUMPMAPPING AND GRAPHICS THAT KICK HALO 2 ass
LZ 2005

Offline LMSx

• View Profile
Metroid Prime 2
« Reply #67 on: February 18, 2003, 12:59:12 PM »
When in serious trouble, call in a sub-orbital strike from her ship.

Born to run-but prefers a brisk walk.....

Offline Mingesium

• View Profile
Metroid Prime 2
« Reply #68 on: April 25, 2003, 03:20:54 PM »
IGN Cube is reporting that Metroid Prime 2 could be shown in video form at E3.

Offline EggyToast

• View Profile
Metroid Prime 2
« Reply #69 on: April 25, 2003, 03:48:19 PM »
I'd be happy with just a bigger game and, perhaps more importantly, less linear gameplay.  Part of the fun of Super Metroid in terms of replay was getting good so you could get certain items out of order.

Offline Perfect Cell

• View Profile
Metroid Prime 2
« Reply #70 on: April 25, 2003, 04:55:45 PM »
Ill play it  no matter what... id love to see it happen after Fusion though... use the Fusion suit in the actual game.. Also give us Super Metroid as an unlockable.. ok maybe thats a pipe dream

Offline Locke Cole

• View Profile
Metroid Prime 2
« Reply #71 on: April 25, 2003, 05:11:19 PM »
Have any of you guys seen the Best ending though.  I won't spoil, but it leaves  HUGE opening for the sequel.  Who knows what they'll do with what happened....

Offline EggyToast

• View Profile
Metroid Prime 2
« Reply #72 on: April 25, 2003, 05:34:32 PM »
Yeah, and I don't really get it.  I mean, I get the hand and the phazon thing and the eyeball of doom, but, err, hand?  eyeball-thing?

I do like how in Metroid Fusion, they leave a LOT of space open between Metroid 1 and Metroid 2.  "Eventually, I was assigned to wipe out the Metroid population on SR-338."  In other words, after fighting them over and over and over again...

Offline Locke Cole

• View Profile
Metroid Prime 2
« Reply #73 on: April 25, 2003, 05:39:38 PM »
What do you mean you don't get it......

SPOILERS

When Metroid Prime grabs your Phazon suit it takes it, leaving you with your gravity suit.  So Metroid Prime somehow survives and is able to be LIKE Samus's Suit.  I Just hope it doesn't turn out like just like Metroid Fusion....

END SPOILERS

Offline Don'tHate742

• View Profile
Metroid Prime 2
« Reply #74 on: April 25, 2003, 08:03:10 PM »
My suggestions Everyone wants more weapons right? Well I want a sniper weapon or mode, I want samus to be the covert and the I don't gives a crap bounty hunter who runs up into a herd of Pirates.

Hard-Drive Add-on and Online hook up so we could actually be the Bounty hunters, and hear of bountys all across the Universe and download the mission.

More upgrades....

Cloaking?

Interplanetary Missions...having to fly from planet to planet to explore...

More acrobatic, the jump to the left or right was to short of a jump, a roll should be added and a jump back should be added.

Multiple targeting (Not stupid and cheap like Sonic or Gunvalkrye) with special beam cannon (no not Piccolo's)

Double Cannon Blast (both hands for short periods of time)

GreNADES---FIRE IN THE HOLE!!!

EVERYTHING HARDER<>YES THERE SHOULD BE A HINT SYSTEM BECUASE IT IS MORE BOUNTY HUNTER LIKE.

More Video and Spoken story

I want to hear her reactions or at least see them, I want to see her eyes widen in a cutscene before some huge ass boss, I want emotion....

BIGGER BOSSES, I want to have to jump up levels just to come face to face like the olden days...

i'm done for now
"lol in my language that means poo" - Stevey

"WTF is your languange" - Vudu