Author Topic: F-Zero  (Read 54765 times)

Offline Stimutacs Addict

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
F-Zero
« on: February 01, 2003, 03:17:19 PM »
Does anyone know what the control layout will be for this (hopefully) dazzling title? I was wondering how they would do the controls for the arcade version, and then i began to think "how does the layout for the GCN version work?"

also, how do you think the arcade layout will be... i think playing F-Zero with a joystick would be a little awkward

anyways, i guess if anyone has any ideas, then here is the place to discuss it...  
I'll shut up now...

Offline BlkPaladin

• Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
F-Zero
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2003, 03:32:26 PM »
I think it was said it would be like the N64's layout. (I think it was the preview on Planetgamecube a few days ago.)
Stupidity is lost on my. Then again I'm almost always lost.

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
F-Zero
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2003, 04:01:14 PM »
Sure, Bakudan covered the controls in his Impressions of the game.  Here they are:
A button - accelerate
B button - brake
X button - side attack
Y button - boost
Z button - spin attack
L / R trigger - moving the center of mass
Control Pad - change view  
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline Perfect Cell

• View Profile
F-Zero
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2003, 04:28:19 PM »
I think he meant the Arcade Cabinet, not the console version.

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
    • View Profile
F-Zero
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2003, 04:37:06 PM »
He was actually asking about both.  I doubt the arcade version will use a joystick, but it will be interesting to try F-Zero out with a steering wheel too.
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
    • View Profile
F-Zero
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2003, 05:00:30 PM »
They should use a GameCube controller in the arcade machine =P

Offline MarioFoxZelda

• View Profile
F-Zero
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2003, 05:24:41 PM »
baisically just like waverace GC but no waves.
what

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
F-Zero
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2003, 06:41:06 PM »
I cant wait to play F-zero...the rip roaring speed...the music...i wanna play this in an arcade...as if i were in the cockpit of Captain Falco's car.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline o0O MeaN O0o

• View Profile
F-Zero
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2003, 09:30:59 PM »
F-Zero was one of the 3 main reasons I bought a GameCube, and I know it won't disappoint me...
Signature:
(max 255 characters)

Offline DarkDraco2K2

• View Profile
F-Zero
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2003, 11:03:59 PM »

Originally posted by: Infernal Monkey
They should use a GameCube controller in the arcade machine =P

Tsk, tsk... You know what happens when you put a controller in a public place... it gets broken . I'm hoping for a really sweet-looking steering wheel. If it's possible to see what the steering wheels in the cars look like, it needs to be an exact scale replica. Word.

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
    • View Profile
F-Zero
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2003, 12:52:48 AM »
The Japanese are getting some free bonuses from Sega.  Extra characters what?

Sega of Japan is currently holding a special campaign for owners of Eternal Arcadia Legends (Skies of Arcadia Legends outside of Japan) to download special data to their memory cards at selected stores.

By combining this special data with the game save, players will have access to special items and characters. In addition to the special data, players can receive a limited Eternal Arcadia Legends memory card label sticker.

This promotion is highly unlikely to become available outside of Japan.

Comin at ya with High Level Course Language and Violence

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
    • View Profile
F-Zero
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2003, 01:28:34 AM »

Originally posted by: Termin8Anakin

A big F-Zero racer cabinet, model steering wheel, 4-speaker sound and 180 degree vision would do the trick nicely.

Ohhhh, and also have a rotating strap in unit. You know those stupid flight sim games in the arcade where you get in like a huge ball type-thing, and spin around in all directions.
Imagine doing a loop and having the whole machine spin you upside down!

We'd have hundreds of sick kids in arcades everywhere, fun for everyone!

Offline Kuchakor

• View Profile
F-Zero
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2003, 06:06:34 AM »
F-Zero is four player right??

I'm pretty sure it is.... it would awesome if the arcade featured for player support!!
Town: TVLand
Name: Kuchakor

Whatya up to Norm?

My ideal weight if I were eleven feet tall.

Offline Aretak

• Tekishuu
    • View Profile
F-Zero
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2003, 07:14:07 AM »

Originally posted by: Kuchakor
F-Zero is four player right??

I'm pretty sure it is.... it would awesome if the arcade featured for player support!!

F-Zero is indeed 4 player. I can't wait for it, the videos I downloaded from IGN look absoloutely amazing...
DVDs | Games

"Ideas are far more powerful than guns. We don't allow our peopl

Offline Stimutacs Addict

• View Profile
Official F-Zero Thread
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2003, 08:33:51 AM »
I'm really hoping for some more tunes that are as catchy as Big Blue and Mute City's music

and I hope the Arcade Version gets pretty popular, I really want people to notice this game.
I'll shut up now...

Offline nolimit19

• The Owner
    • View Profile
Official F-Zero Thread
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2003, 09:19:41 AM »
i hate to say it, and i better not get flamed, but is this game online???? and if it isnt it should be.
A thing moderately good is not so good as it ought to be. Moderation in temper is always a virtue; but moderation in principle is always a vice.

Thomas Paine

Offline Aretak

• Tekishuu
    • View Profile
Official F-Zero Thread
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2003, 10:39:50 AM »

Originally posted by: nolimit19
i hate to say it, and i better not get flamed, but is this game online???? and if it isnt it should be.

Not as far as we know, and it's very unlikely it will be.

As for the music in the game, it has remixes of some of the classic tunes like Mute City and Big Blue. If you listen to the music in one of the videos from IGN it has a remixed Mute City theme playing. The original version of that music is one of my favourite pieces of music from a game of all time.
DVDs | Games

Offline ShanD

• View Profile
Official F-Zero Thread
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2003, 01:53:08 PM »
Yeah, Big Blue is great for racing. Its like do do dododo do do dododo **fast**dododododo/fastdo do do do dod o do do do dodo d nar nar nar nar nar do do doo do doo doo doo **insert midi gitaur** Anyway, I'm really looking forward for F-Zero GC. Amusment Visions seems to be doing the series justice, and the graphics are astounding. I just hope the gameplay holds up.
hay guyzz wuts goin on in dis sig

Offline Lao-tzu

• View Profile
Official F-Zero Thread
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2003, 02:27:49 PM »
One thing about F-0 I hope they don't skim over is computer AI.

What's worse then a racing game where your oponents might as well not be there.

(Sure, technically it'll always be against a time.. but you can mask it)

I mean, Mario Kart 64 had it (a bit).. and that's what made it so fun.

You'd shoot the leader.. then someone would shoot you...  *sigh* good times..

And F-0, with all those opponents, had better have some great nose to nose car chases.
Name: Aaron
Town: Hobbiton

Offline JSR

• View Profile
Official F-Zero Thread
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2003, 07:16:32 PM »
F-Zero is a game I want, badly. If looks beautiful, (hopefully) has great gameplay and of course it has F-Zero music. One thing that’s really cool is that (I can’t remember where I heard this) you can race up to thirty opponents! I hope the framerate doesn’t drop when doing that.

It’s coming out in June, right?
It's Random and It's Nintendo - Random Nintendo

Offline Lao-tzu

• View Profile
Official F-Zero Thread
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2003, 08:34:09 PM »
You can race up to about 30 people.

But will that be good without the AI?  I don't think so.

That's why I'm goig to wait scepticually until I rent before I get excited about F-0.
Name: Aaron
Town: Hobbiton

Offline Aretak

• Tekishuu
    • View Profile
Official F-Zero Thread
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2003, 01:47:58 AM »
From the videos I watched the CPU AI looks very good. The person playing the game was certainly having no easy time overtaking them.
DVDs | Games

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
    • View Profile
Official F-Zero Thread
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2003, 04:20:10 AM »
I think you would be a total loser if you played a game and weren't an expert at it, so I think that's the case with the guy playing F-Zero.
Lucky Bastard.

Yeah, six player connected arcade cabinets (Daytona USA style), all with that crazy flight-sim ball that moves thingy! There would be a screen on top of each cabinet so others can see the craziness of the game. You do notice a game when it's being swamped with people looking in. You see it with all those dance games. You get applauded and you get all the chicks going starry-eyed at you cause you dance like pro.
I remember when Time Crisis 2 came out. Anybody who was shooting good attracted a large crowd. I hope that's the case with F-Zero AC. I remember that great feeling inside when me and my friend got to the boss, and there where around 20 people there watchoing us, then cheering when we finished him. Oh, the joy. You only become a celebrity for the duration of the game, and for about 20mins afterward, but oh, that feeling is so great. Total superiority over the mere mortals.

Offline aoi tsuki

• View Profile
Official F-Zero Thread
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2003, 01:11:26 PM »
The AI looks okay, but not "very good" IMO. It actually looked really rubberband... after the player boosted past an opponent, the opponent boosted past the player (like in Extreme G 3). i'd expect that in the further races, but not at the beginning. With better AI, i'd expect CPU opponents to have natural enemies according to their storyline, remember when you attack them or cut them off (to get revenge), etc. i tend to doubt that the game could do that with 30 opponents while maintaining a 60fps framerate, but i like to be surprised. ^_^

i really hope AV fully realizes F-Zero instead of just updating it (which is what i'm beginning to think). The more i look at it, the more it reminds me of Capcom and Resident Evil on Cube. Not like that would be a bad thing, it would just be a disappointment for the game that started the genre, especiallly when it could be so much more.

After watching the videos again i noticed one seemingly two player split screen game with what looked like four possible human opponents. It's likely that two of the opponents were CPU racers, but i couldn't help but think what if they were four players linked between two consoles.  
"Snake felt a hunger for Meryl blossom within his loins."

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
    • View Profile
Official F-Zero Thread
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2003, 04:59:14 PM »
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I don't know how anyone can be impressed by F-Zero. The backgrounds/buildings/off-the-track details are great looking, but the vehicles themselves are very basic. They look sort of plastic-toy-ish and way too clean. I remember the first thing I thought when I saw the trailer on the Zelda bonus disc for F-Zero was how they looked like N64 models put into a GameCube game. F-Zero overall seems too "colorful" if that's possible; it should be a bit darker and grittier. The framerate, though....... wow.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just though I'd resurrect this thread, since this was the first thread to go to if you want to talk F-Zero after all.

I don't mind if the vehicles are bright and 'plastic-toy-ish', or too clean. Cause then you can see em better. And since now the tracks are so detailed, it would be a high point if you could see you vehicle to race.

Also, some people I know have seemed to complain about the lack of weapons in F-Zero. Nintendo Magazine System (Australia's now defunct official magazine) said when they reviewed F-Zero X: "Let's face it, when bombing around at break neck speed against your mates you want to be able to send a missile up his exhaust."
To me, weapons in a racer with this kind of speed is too detracting from the whole experience. Imagine travelling at 1000km/h, and having to watch out for tiny little mines placed on the track. The only weapon I use is the default cannon, simply cause you can't turn it off. The side attacks and spin attacks in F-Zero are not only more brutal than any homing missile and destabiliser, but they are more fun to pull off, and when done right, you just wanna do it again. I mean, who couldn't stop playing Death Race to try and beat your time? You see how when you smash a racer, it just zooms from side to side at light speed? That to me was pretty good physics, and way more satisfying than the simple explosion in XG3.

BTW, what is everyone's best Death Race time in F-Zero X? Mine is 56sec. But the best I ever saw was 29sec, in UK N64 Magaine.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
Official F-Zero Thread
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2003, 06:35:27 PM »
Im very ignorant of this new F-Zero and F-Zero X on the N64, I still can't believe I passed it up and didn't even rent it. Now about these attacks, death races and so on can someone explain it all to me?
And there is NO shooting in this new F-Zero is there? I sure hope not. Oh and I happen to like the bright colors on the hover car things.  
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
    • View Profile
Official F-Zero Thread
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2003, 06:56:58 PM »
Your side attacks are done by either double-tapping R for a right slam, or double tapping Z for a left slam. Turning left or right when slamming makes your attack stronger, especially when you're doing it against a barrier.
Your spin attack is done by holding down R and Z, and then double-tapping one of them whist still holding down the other button. Again, spinning left or right is up to you.
Death Race is a mode in F-Zero X where the aim is to retire all 29 racers in the quickest time possible. This is done on a looping track. The part of the track where the pink strips are (which refill your energy) has no barriers, and there is a jump right before the starting grid. It is pretty tense, and hellishly addictive. And unlike GP, you can boost from the very beginning.
Samurai Goroh and Michael Chain's vehicles are the ones I use most, cause they are heavy and strong.

Offline Razex

• View Profile
Official F-Zero Thread
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2003, 09:36:04 PM »
What is the L button used for that it can't be used for a slam to the left? Why the hell is the Z button used? And Death Race was awesome.

Offline NoVisAnima

• View Profile
Official F-Zero Thread
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2003, 11:30:14 PM »
Razex: These are the controls for the n64 version of the game. In the days when the Z button was far more accessable than the L button.

The one thing i really want to see from a new F-Zero game (the N64 of which i actually went out a bought a few days ago) is the random track generator. I dont know how feasable it will be with the new graphics engine with track details and stuff that the n64 lacked completely.

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
    • View Profile
Official F-Zero Thread
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2003, 01:13:16 AM »
It would be cool if they brought back the random track generator from F-Zero X. I wouldn't expect it to be with full trackside detail, just something to remind us that the tracks aren't suspended in mid-air through the Force or something.

Offline Mephistopheles

• View Profile
Official F-Zero Thread
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2003, 11:49:12 AM »

Originally posted by: Aretak

Originally posted by: nolimit19

Not as far as we know, and it's very unlikely it will be.

Well... let's look at the facts.

1)  The game doesn't come out for several months yet... perhaps that's one of the many secrets Nintendo has kept from us about the title... after all, there are supposedly modes in the game we know nothing of.

2)  F-Zero, as a racing game, would be very playable online... much like Mario Kart.  Throwing online onto F-Zero to see how well it works for fans as a sort of testing ground for the new Mario Kart would be a sound idea, especially if Nintendo is genuinely interested in pushing that title online.

3)  F-Zero AC and GC are being developed by a SEGA team... y'know, SEGA?  The biggest online pusher in the business right now?  And not only that, but developer Amusement Vision has experience not only taking games online, but games OF THE SAME GENRE.  Daytona USA comes to mind fondly... and not only that, but Sega also has experience taking arcade games online in Japan, so with Sega handling the arcade unit distribution, who's to say that Nintendo and Sega didn't work out a way to take the game online in both the arcades in Japan and on the console for them as well as us?

It's still a fair possibility... for the time being.  We'll have to wait and see.

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
    • View Profile
Official F-Zero Thread
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2003, 03:39:48 PM »
Whoa. F-Zero Online. THAT would be something worth getting the modem for. Playing against 29 other human players would be the most brutal matches in history. It would be like a real Podrace! There's gonna be crashes at every turn, slamming at every barrier, fatal falls off 2km high tracks, oh, the possibilities! It would be a REAL championship!

Offline Icons by Size

• View Profile
Official F-Zero Thread
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2003, 04:05:12 PM »
the movie of f-zero on the zelda disc is great ,although i am pretty sure i downloaded it some time before.  does anyone else think the graphics (judging by that video) are somewhat of a mixed bag?  the map with the sunset looking sky and the metal tube with holes in it looks fantastic but mute station looks boring and not flashy enough.  also the graphics look a bit boxy but i guess thats the style of the game ....still i dont lilke it much. anyway, this game is going to rock.
Deftones own.

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
    • View Profile
Official F-Zero Thread
« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2003, 04:53:39 PM »
Now that F-Zero has some proper planetary environments, I think that's what the guys at Sega though Mute City/Station would look like.
The one with the tubes (the clear blue one where you're racing inside it, and the red one where you're racing on the outside) look coooooool.
But the one that I like most is the forest one with the clear blue tubes stickin out of the track. That one rocks in the art department. But I think this is going to be exponentially, infinitely better than F-Zero X.

Offline Mingesium

• View Profile
Official F-Zero Thread
« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2003, 05:34:32 PM »
F-Zero AC should be playable this Friday at AOU 2003.

Offline sequoia

• View Profile
Official F-Zero Thread
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2003, 03:55:37 AM »
Since my computer is being stupid, I cant download any videos f-zero So I was wondering, IS the music on f-zero techno remixs or speed metal(does metallica ring a bell)? It doesn't really matter to me, just asking.
I am what I created. Believing in my fate. Integrity is my name.
All that I am doin, can never be ruined. The Torn Outlaw.

Offline Mingesium

• View Profile
Official F-Zero Thread
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2003, 04:45:55 PM »
The Japan F-Zero site is up. The have a couple screens and a video. The video is like 3 min long and it looks good. They also show what the cabinet looks like. I can't wait.

Offline Calibretto

• View Profile
Official F-Zero Thread
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2003, 05:52:43 PM »
Pardon my French, as they say, but,

The arcade cabinet looks totally BAD-ASS!!

It needs to come to the States now.  Yesterday. Anyway, if any of you can read Japanese, please take a look at the link Mingesium
posted and see if it divulges any details about the Gamcube and Arcade memory card connectivity, then post your finding here.  I would appreciate it very much.

"This makes the master of the Gun-Katas an opponent not to be taken lightly..."

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
Official F-Zero Thread
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2003, 06:41:55 PM »
OH. MY. GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If u havent checked out the new video then download it NOW!!! After seiing that vid i can easily say that this is THE BEST LOOKING GAME EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IN F&(^*&KIN CREDIBLE!! I cant beleive my eyes!!!!! This will be the best game ever and the game that will revitalize GC and put nintendo back where they belong, NUMBER ONE!!! OMG, DOWNLOAD NOW!!!!! BEST. GAME. EVAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Calibretto

• View Profile
Official F-Zero Thread
« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2003, 09:36:18 PM »

Originally posted by: Mario
OH. MY. GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If u havent checked out the new video then download it NOW!!! After seiing that vid i can easily say that this is THE BEST LOOKING GAME EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IN F&(^*&KIN CREDIBLE!! I cant beleive my eyes!!!!! This will be the best game ever and the game that will revitalize GC and put nintendo back where they belong, NUMBER ONE!!! OMG, DOWNLOAD NOW!!!!! BEST. GAME. EVAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, and yes.  I just downloaded the video.  This game looks to be the stuff of legends. Legends, I say.  The worlds are expasive and detailed beyond my ability to comprehend it.  Words are not enough.  Those of you who have yet to do so, download that video.  For all you who said there are no must have games for the Cube, look no further; this game is must have.

And to answer your question sequoia, all the music I have heard so far have been techno remixs, but one of the techno tracks had some guitar wailing in it.  Still, hopefully they'll have some speed metal too.  I would like me some of that.  
"This makes the master of the Gun-Katas an opponent not to be taken lightly..."

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
    • View Profile
Official F-Zero Thread
« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2003, 10:18:31 PM »
Sorry about the smell by the way, i stepped on some Quantum Redshift on my way in.

DONT JUST SIT THERE, DOWNLOAD THE MOVIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Berto2K

• This could be you, at E3.
    • View Profile
Official F-Zero Thread
« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2003, 12:45:49 AM »
I'm hosting trailer for everyone too get here. Friggin' SWEEEEET. Just right click and save target as.

F-Zero GC Trailer    
Pietriots, we roll out to get the lol out.

Offline mrcivic

• View Profile
Official F-Zero Thread
« Reply #42 on: February 21, 2003, 01:55:14 AM »

How amazing is that trailer?
The speed, effects and tracks are unbelievable!

Thank you Sega!
If a Cow ever got the chance, he'd eat you and everyone you care about! - Troy McClure

Are you a PAL gamer? Then visit PALGN.com "For PAL gamers - By PAL gamers!"

Offline Sir Pinch-a-Loaf

• View Profile
Official F-Zero Thread
« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2003, 02:36:58 AM »
Just curious if anyone knows whether, as an incentive to own the GC version and play the arcade version, if they will feature different tracks?
What, you thought you wasn't gonna see me?  I'm the Osiris of this s**t.

Offline Hemmorrhoid

• View Profile
Official F-Zero Thread
« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2003, 02:49:13 AM »
Yes they do feature different tracks according to N-Query at cube.ign.com.

This new footage is so amazing, must be the best graphics so far on the GCN, and the best graphics of any racer ever.
Even hurts more to wait.
US RELEASE DATE?
LZ 2005

Offline egman

• View Profile
Official F-Zero Thread
« Reply #45 on: February 21, 2003, 05:19:15 AM »
I am completely blown away!

The video on the Zelda bonus disk barely even hinted at the kind of action I just saw in this trailer. If this is a sign of things to come from the whole Triforce relationship, then we are in for some really amazing games.

Oh man if Sega, Namco and Nintendo went further than this and just merged together into on entity, it would be the ultimate gamers' heaven. The sheer quality would blow apart the competition. With all the doom and gloom that I have seen lately about Nintendo's performance, it's things like these that should remind us that these are truly great times for Nintendo fans.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
Official F-Zero Thread
« Reply #46 on: February 21, 2003, 06:26:03 AM »
I don't like the way there are different tracks for the GC and Arcade versions.  If I'm buying the f*cking game I should be able to get all of the tracks.  Odds are a lot of people who buy the game will live in areas that don't have any major arcades and therefore won't have access to the arcade version.  At the very least they could have made it so you can download the arcade tracks to your memory card to play them at home.  Maybe they are doing that since I have yet to read a clear description of what the memory cards are used for in the arcade version.  It certainly would be more user friendly and would give people an incentive to try both versions and not feel ripped off.

The game still looks wicked cool but it's F-Zero so I wouldn't expect anything less.  Is there a cockpit view in this game?  I haven't watched the new trailer yet so if it explained in there I don't know yet.  The other F-Zero games didn't have cockpit view and I found that rather disappointing.

Offline Ace

• View Profile
Official F-Zero Thread
« Reply #47 on: February 21, 2003, 07:07:02 AM »
I just read the interview that PGC had with AU and they said that there are currently no plans for F-Zero online
You say fanboy like it's a bad thing

Offline egman

• View Profile
Official F-Zero Thread
« Reply #48 on: February 21, 2003, 07:11:57 AM »
I don't have too much of a problem with different tracks. It's similar to Namco's policy making their arcade ports more than arcade perfect. It gives the consumer who is likely to play the AC game to death a reason to purchase it on a console.

I do agree about the availabilty of arcades. Arcades are in decline in the US, so chances are many of us on this board will miss out on the AC version of F-0. I wish it wasn't that way because I find the arcade experince to be the equivalent of going to the movies while the console is like a home theater system. The latter can come close, but not without investing a whole lot of dough in your display and sound system.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
Official F-Zero Thread
« Reply #49 on: February 21, 2003, 07:45:18 AM »
"It's similar to Namco's policy making their arcade ports more than arcade perfect. It gives the consumer who is likely to play the AC game to death a reason to purchase it on a console."

The Namco policy would have equaled MORE tracks for the console version instead of DIFFERENT tracks.  There's a huge difference.  If the Cube version of F-Zero has different tracks then it isn't even arcade perfect let alone "more than arcade perfect."

No online also sucks but I imagine that's Nintendo's decision instead of Sega's.  It's rather disconcerning considering the game likely could have been online and that doesn't make Mario Kart Online sound like such a realistic possibility.  Odds are Nintendo simply chose to make the game offline because if it was due to another issue like lag they likely would have said outright in the interview "we wanted to make it online but couldn't."  I personally don't see how having barebones peer-to-peer online as an extra feature even with lag is a bad thing but then I also thought CDs were a better choice than cartridges so I what do I know?

Offline egman

• View Profile
Official F-Zero Thread
« Reply #50 on: February 21, 2003, 08:26:20 AM »
Ian Sane--You did notice I said "similar." I wasn't implying that it was the same thing.

It's kind of sad it isn't online, but I'm not dissapointed for the same reasons. I really haven't been really thrilled with the whole online craze, but that's where things are going and if Nintendo is serious about keeping up I guess this is another thing that they need to come to gripes with, like advertising and console functionality.

I wouldn't mind seeing the networking idea board memembers were disscussing a while ago. The Cube is certainly built to make that easier to do. PGC didn't ask any questions about that, so maybe that's still possible.

Offline Icons by Size

• View Profile
Official F-Zero Thread
« Reply #51 on: February 21, 2003, 09:07:54 AM »
i dont like that different tracks idea either. what if there is a great track on the arcade version but then i wont be able to play it
still, this new trailer looks so so so great. is the GC going to look the same as the AC version?
so so so great
Deftones own.

Offline Sean

• View Profile
Official F-Zero Thread
« Reply #52 on: February 21, 2003, 09:17:40 AM »
Call me absolutely freaking crazy, but there's no point in releasing IDENTICAL GAMES for Arcade and Home AT THE SAME TIME!  People, come on!  BE HAPPY THEY MADE TWO INSTEAD OF ONE!  How about some optimism (or just a little less selfishness) for once?

Here's an idea, get off your butt and head to the arcade.  If you don't have one nearby, drive a bit more out of the way.  If you still can't find one, GET OVER IT.  Them's the breaks, kids.

It stuns me how far ingratitude reaches.

I watched the 20meg video last night from IGN and I was just stunned, really.  This looks much, much better than it did at first, and I was already slightly excited by the early stills and vids.  Wow.  Sega's definitely doing things rightly.  I can't wait!
"I think that if the devil does not exist,
and man has therefore created him,
he has created him in his own image and likeness."
from Fyodor Dostoevsky's THE BROTHERS KARAMAZOV

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
Official F-Zero Thread
« Reply #53 on: February 21, 2003, 09:35:51 AM »
"there's no point in releasing IDENTICAL GAMES for Arcade and Home AT THE SAME TIME!"

Are they being released at the same time?  I thought the arcade one came out first.

Besides even if they have the same tracks they still won't be identical.  The arcade version has a cockpit, doesn't have split-screen multiplayer, and is available to the public while only Cube owners can play the other one.

Besides it makes no sense to be glad they made two versions when the fact that they made two versions is what I'm complaining about in the first place.

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
    • View Profile
Official F-Zero Thread
« Reply #54 on: February 21, 2003, 10:14:04 AM »
geez Ian Sane calm down.  Anyone could have easily slapped the same tracks from the home version into an arcade cabinet - and the arcade game is coming out soon AFTER the GC game.  I'm glad that they're taking the time to design all-new tracks and I wouldn't be surprised if they're using the slightly higher specs to do things they can't do on GC.
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline Icons by Size

• View Profile
Official F-Zero Thread
« Reply #55 on: February 21, 2003, 11:43:11 AM »
so is that trailer for AC or GC?
Deftones own.

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
    • View Profile
Official F-Zero Thread
« Reply #56 on: February 21, 2003, 12:58:18 PM »
Why do I seem more excited about this game than Zelda: Wind Waker?
CAUSE I SAW THE MOVIE!
OH MY GOD! OH MY GOD! OH MY GOD! OH MY GOD! OH MY GOD! OH MY GOD! OH MY GOD! OH MY GOD! OH MY GOD! OH MY GOD! OH MY GOD! OH MY GOD! OH MY GOD! OH MY GOD! OH MY GOD! OH MY GOD! OH MY GOD! OH MY GOD! OH MY GOD! OH MY GOD! OH MY GOD! OH MY GOD! OH MY GOD! OH MY GOD! OH MY GOD! OH MY GOD! OH MY GOD! OH MY GOD! OH MY GOD! OH MY GOD! OH MY GOD! OH MY GOD! OH MY GOD! OH MY GOD! OH MY GOD! OH MY GOD! OH MY GOD! OH MY GOD! OH MY GOD! OH MY GOD! OH MY GOD! OH MY GOD! OH MY GOD! OH MY GOD! OH MY GOD! OH MY GOD! OH MY GOD! OH MY GOD! OH MY GOD! OH MY GOD! OH MY GOD! OH MY GOD! OH MY GOD! OH MY GOD! OH MY GOD! OH MY GOD! OH MY GOD! OH MY GOD! OH MY GOD! OH MY GOD! OH MY GOD! OH MY GOD! OH MY GOD! OH MY GOD! OH MY GOD! OH MY GOD! OH MY GOD! OH MY GOD! OH MY GOD!

How good was it huh! For a movie that was like 20MB, I thought it was gonna be a massive full screen movie that my computer wasn't gonna be able to view properly. But the movie quailty was excellent, the sound was absolutely mind blowing (how cool was it for original music!), and the movie itself was a little over 3 minutes! And holy mutha of f**king sh*t!
For those of you who think the speed is a little slow, but that's cause there's so much track detail that it puts the game into proper perspective. But see how smooth it is? I'm gonna really enjoy it.
And I don't bloody care if there are different tracks for the GC version and the AC version. It gives me more of a reason to shell out money for that speed fix every time I head into Sydney City (The closest arcade to me).

I'm gonna sell me copy of XG3 so I can put money aside for F-Zero GC today. So I'll see everyone on the other side! I think I have reached my patience limit with XG3, so it has to go.

Offline Frostie

• View Profile
Official F-Zero Thread
« Reply #57 on: February 21, 2003, 01:37:47 PM »
Thank you Berto2k!  The link is nice and fast, just the way I like it.
Move along.  Nothing to see here.

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
    • View Profile
Official F-Zero Thread
« Reply #58 on: February 21, 2003, 09:03:25 PM »
DOWNLOAD THE VIDEO!!!!!!!!!!!!! ITS AWESOME, THIS GAME WILL EASILY SELL OVER A BILLION COPIES AND BE THE BEST GAME EVAR!!!

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
    • View Profile
Official F-Zero Thread
« Reply #59 on: February 22, 2003, 02:17:39 AM »
My most anticipated list used to look like this:
1. Zelda: Wind Waker
2. F-Zero
3. Metroid Prime
4. Burnout 2
5. Super Monkey Ball 2
6. Killer 7
7. Viewtiful Joe
8. Metroid Prime 2
9. Zelda Gamecube 2
10. Mario 128

After seeing the new trailer (I too have seen all the old movies from IGN), my most anticipated list now looks like this:
1. F-Zero
2. F-Zero
3. F-Zero
4. F-Zero
5. F-Zero
6. F-Zero
7. F-Zero
8. F-Zero
9. F-Zero
10. F-Zero
11. F-Zero
12. F-Zero
13. F-Zero
|
|
|
|
|
\/
100. F-Zero
101. Zelda: Windwaker
102. F-Zero
103. Metroid Prime.....

I am soooo looking forward to this game.

Offline Hemmorrhoid

• View Profile
Official F-Zero Thread
« Reply #60 on: February 22, 2003, 07:25:14 AM »
The graphics are unbelievable, the speed is incredible, and the style is just fantastic.
With freeloader available I might just import the Japanese version to play the game one month early
LZ 2005

Offline Sean

• View Profile
Official F-Zero Thread
« Reply #61 on: February 22, 2003, 07:49:32 AM »
Knowing how little I played F-Zero on the N64 after about a month, I'm not going to get all hyperbolic just because of the graphics (of course, part of the problem was that I didn't get to play two-player after a few weeks of owning it, and the game sort of died for me).  

The graphics are STUNNING and some of the best I've seen--if not THE best--on GCN, but there's no way I'm letting a beautiful video's graphic display put this game in front of Wind Waker or Animal Crossing 2 or others.  It's surely a must-have, but let's try to keep things on earth...haha.  Excitin' times for gamers, I say!  (Not just Nintendo fans, which is what I almost said.)

And still, nothing tops the beauty of Metroid Prime even if it doesn't 'technically' blow away other games--the art and level design and architecture blow all else on GCN away by a wide margin.
"I think that if the devil does not exist,
and man has therefore created him,
he has created him in his own image and likeness."
from Fyodor Dostoevsky's THE BROTHERS KARAMAZOV

Offline telaris

• View Profile
Official F-Zero Thread
« Reply #62 on: February 22, 2003, 12:10:33 PM »
I saw the video of f0 on the zelda bonus disk. The game looks great, it recaptures the speed that the SNES one had. Good job so far sega

Offline JSR

• View Profile
Official F-Zero Thread
« Reply #63 on: February 22, 2003, 12:44:47 PM »
I just saw the movie… WOW! I really want this game badly, even more so than before. It looks so beautiful! A definite must buy for me! Nintendo made the right choice handing this over to AV.

June now seems very far off… At least Zelda will keep me busy!  
It's Random and It's Nintendo - Random Nintendo

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
    • View Profile
Official F-Zero Thread
« Reply #64 on: February 22, 2003, 01:36:51 PM »
The best part of that video was the beginning where it said SEGA and NINTENDO together. I almost shed a tear after seeing that part *starts rambling on about the history of Sega and Nintendo and the console wars and th........ WOW! A BLUE CAR!*

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
    • View Profile
Official F-Zero Thread
« Reply #65 on: February 23, 2003, 02:56:32 AM »
Wow. I am so sad now. I'm sooo used to the ergonomical Gamecube controller, my hands cramped while playing F-Zero X a couple of hours ago. The control stick was stiff and too small, the buttons seemed too flat, and the prongs you hold onto were so thin. It's so hard for me to go back to the N64 after the Gamecube.

It makes me want F-Zero GC even more. Hurry please Sega!

Offline Mingesium

• View Profile
Official F-Zero Thread
« Reply #66 on: March 06, 2003, 07:34:36 PM »
They updated the F-Zero page. You can download a wallpaper with Falcon, Princia Ramode, and Phoenix.
More characters. Princia Ramode drives Spark Moon and Phoenix drives Rainbow Phoenix.
Miyamoto has something to say but its in Japanese.

edit: they also show a new level, aeropolis.

Offline babble

• View Profile
Official F-Zero Thread
« Reply #67 on: March 08, 2003, 06:24:37 AM »
Did I read corectly? They're gona have a similar bonus disc promo to Zelda for F-Zero?
I'll have to check more...
All consoles are great, but not all games.

Offline babble

• View Profile
Official F-Zero Thread
« Reply #68 on: March 08, 2003, 06:33:33 AM »
OK, I found what I've read. You can have a look here (in French) :
http://www.best4gamers.com/zecube/lire_news.php?id=1896

But, it's only a rumor...  
All consoles are great, but not all games.

Official F-Zero Thread
« Reply #69 on: March 08, 2003, 05:15:39 PM »
Checked out the F-Zero.jp site. I found the polit/machine data section, and I found a Captain Falcon spinoff! "The Pheonix," who drives "The Rainbow Pheonix." Hmm, indeed.

PS: Whoo! Princia is FINE!

Offline Mingesium

• View Profile
Official F-Zero Thread
« Reply #70 on: March 09, 2003, 06:47:32 PM »
Bad news - F-Zero has been delayed in the US.

F-Zero (GCN) - Aug 25, 2003

Wario World was pushed back and took its spot (June 23). Maybe the extra time is to add online play.

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
    • View Profile
Official F-Zero Thread
« Reply #71 on: March 09, 2003, 11:44:36 PM »
Oh bloody hell.
Why do you mock us oh sweet Lord?

Offline MikeHrusecky

• View Profile
Official F-Zero Thread
« Reply #72 on: March 12, 2003, 11:56:06 AM »
bumping for the redundant thread.

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
Official F-Zero Thread
« Reply #73 on: March 12, 2003, 01:10:11 PM »
Good news- neither F-Zero or Wario World have been delayed and both will come out on their expected dates. Just thoguht I'd start off the discussion from the "redundant" thread.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline Mingesium

• View Profile
Official F-Zero Thread
« Reply #74 on: March 12, 2003, 03:15:22 PM »
I think that both games will still be delayed. Nintendo.com just jumped the gun. I expect Nintendo to announce the delays and at the same time announce new games coming out during summer. I expect Mario Golf and Mario Tennis to be summer titles.

Official F-Zero Thread
« Reply #75 on: March 12, 2003, 04:47:23 PM »
Well, Nintendo + Games = inevitable delays, so I'm not holding my breath. Well, not yet, anyway.

Offline Mingesium

• View Profile
Official F-Zero Thread
« Reply #76 on: March 14, 2003, 08:51:52 AM »
I wish they would make up their mind.

F-Zero - Aug 25, 2003

Offline Smadte

• View Profile
Official F-Zero Thread
« Reply #77 on: March 14, 2003, 01:45:22 PM »
DAMN YOU NINTENDO!!!!!

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
    • View Profile
Official F-Zero Thread
« Reply #78 on: April 07, 2003, 03:31:16 PM »
What?
So did Famitsu reveal ALL the tracks?
Only around 7?
WTF????

There has to be more than that.
XGRA has around 40!

Heck, even F-Zero X on N64 had 24 main tracks, and a random track generator!

What's going on?  

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
Official F-Zero Thread
« Reply #79 on: April 07, 2003, 08:24:54 PM »
I was wondering the same thing and that can't be all. 7 tracks would be so crapy I don't know what to think. Sega nor Nintendo would let 7 tracks slide especialy after that 2 or 3 month delay.  
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
    • View Profile
Official F-Zero Thread
« Reply #80 on: April 07, 2003, 08:47:08 PM »
They are detailed, yes, very, but 7?
PGC Staffers, can you guys clear this up?
Are there only 7 tracks or are there more? Please be the latter.

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
    • View Profile
Official F-Zero Thread
« Reply #81 on: April 07, 2003, 09:29:29 PM »
7!? surely not... thats like... commiting game suicide..

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
    • View Profile
Official F-Zero Thread
« Reply #82 on: April 08, 2003, 02:25:40 AM »
Oh my god! I just watched that movie of Fzero (again) and i still cant believe the detail in that game, AWESOME! The graphics are the best ive seen in a game, and the speed is simply unparalelled. I cant wait for this game, it looks so damn fun. Oh, and sorry about the smell guys, i stepped on some Quantum Redshift on the way in...

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
    • View Profile
Official F-Zero Thread
« Reply #83 on: April 08, 2003, 01:58:41 PM »
I know. I can't get enough of the quality of the graphics, but still. 7? Seven? SEVEN?
Someone get in here and clear it up!

Offline Rich

• View Profile
Official F-Zero Thread
« Reply #84 on: April 08, 2003, 05:35:08 PM »
hey guys i got the impression that there were seven cities and that each city had a bunch of tracks and that famitsu was just showing one level from each city. All though i could be wrong i think that this makes some sense.

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
    • View Profile
Official F-Zero Thread
« Reply #85 on: April 08, 2003, 10:10:27 PM »
that would make alot more sence, and yay! aslong as there arn't 7 tracks, 7x6 (like fzerox's 4x6 +random) would be perfect, bring on the random track generator too!

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
    • View Profile
Official F-Zero Thread
« Reply #86 on: April 09, 2003, 01:00:20 AM »

Originally posted by: Rich
hey guys i got the impression that there were seven cities and that each city had a bunch of tracks and that famitsu was just showing one level from each city. All though i could be wrong i think that this makes some sense.

Famistu only said Five sities, and only one place has two tracks.
1) Mute City - Twist Road (1 track)
2) Port Town - Aerial Dive and Long Pipe (two tracks)
3) Green Plant - Intersection
4) Lightning - Half Pipe
5) Aeropolis - Multiplex.

Oh crap...SIX TRACKS?
ARRRGH!

But then the article says that the track INTRODUCED is (insert track name here).
So there might be more.

Oh man. Detail and speed is nothing if you don't have lastability. I think XGRA would reign there.

Offline Hemmorrhoid

• View Profile
Official F-Zero Thread
« Reply #87 on: April 09, 2003, 04:47:58 AM »
F-Zero is known for having many tracks, and no racer only has 7 or 6 tracks. I think theres many more tracks to see.
LZ 2005

Offline Mingesium

• View Profile
Official F-Zero Thread
« Reply #88 on: April 12, 2003, 02:37:49 PM »
more F-Zero pics

here

and here

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
Official F-Zero Thread
« Reply #89 on: April 12, 2003, 02:43:11 PM »
Jesus, you guys are basing all your knowledge of the number of tracks off a Famitsu article that was little more than an advertisement in text. Wait until we get some more info before saying F-Zero won't have any lastibility.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
    • View Profile
Official F-Zero Thread
« Reply #90 on: April 23, 2003, 01:31:12 AM »
Hey! Peoples! I think this clears up any problems about F-Zero GC!
20 tracks everyone, and a new logo!

F-Zero GC stuff straight from the horse's mouth!

Offline Smadte

• View Profile
Official F-Zero Thread
« Reply #91 on: April 24, 2003, 01:14:55 PM »
I am now officially pissed about this whole arcade business. In my mind, when I slap 50$ bucks down, I expect to get EVERYTHING that a game has to offer without having to do anything outside of the game itself. What about people who don't have arcades? WTF are they supposed to do? They're making it sound like the whole freakin' game was built around people who spend most of their time at arcades. I mean, come on! No customization features in the GC version unless you play the AC version?! A small amount levels on the GC version unless you play the AC version?! Sounds like you've only got half the game, there.

I'm sure 99.9% of you probably disagree with me, so I'll just shut up now.

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
Official F-Zero Thread
« Reply #92 on: April 24, 2003, 01:18:19 PM »
Smadte: It's not like the arcade extras are necessary or integral to the game in ANY way whatsoever. It's just a cool little extra for those people who do have arcades. If you don't have an arcade in your area with the game (as I seriously doubt I will), that's unfortunate, but the world is going to end and you're still going to get 99% of the game you paid $50. If you don't want to waste money, don't buy the game. Otherwise, there's nothing you can do.

Offline Armed

• View Profile
Official F-Zero Thread
« Reply #93 on: April 24, 2003, 02:12:01 PM »
Look at ign it says GC has customization also.
If you like to read comics click below
**My cousin made it, pretty cool**
"Bilaran Wars"-Click Me

Offline joeamis

• View Profile
Official F-Zero Thread
« Reply #94 on: April 24, 2003, 03:18:03 PM »
quote:

Yeah, Big Blue is great for racing. Its like do do dododo do do dododo **fast**dododododo/fastdo do do do dod o do do do dodo d nar nar nar nar nar do do doo do doo doo doo **insert midi gitaur** Anyway, I'm really looking forward for F-Zero GC. Amusment Visions seems to be doing the series justice, and the graphics are astounding. I just hope the gameplay holds up.

your do do's are right on man! i hummed them and it sounded just like the games music,

as for the arcade control i hope its like all space type game controls in the arcade with the two handles for your hands on each side and half circles connecting them on top and bottom
like this:
__
(__)

as for the chum who asked about 30 racers being in the game, that would make sense,
since the N64 version featured 30...

Offline Smadte

• View Profile
Official F-Zero Thread
« Reply #95 on: April 24, 2003, 04:07:58 PM »
Yeah, well I read the only way you could unlock half the tracks were if you transfered them from the arcade version, and the customization mode was only available in the AC version. . . So, this isn't true?  

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
Official F-Zero Thread
« Reply #96 on: April 24, 2003, 04:16:28 PM »
From what I've read at IGN, the arcade will only give you special parts to be used in car customization (which you can use in both the GC and arcade versions). I haven't heard anything about half the tracks being locked, though- there's only 20, and 10 avaible to most people is ar too few- I doubt that seriously.

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
    • View Profile
Official F-Zero Thread
« Reply #97 on: April 25, 2003, 05:25:47 AM »
*drools at new prospects of new F-Zero games*

Offline Kulock

• View Profile
Official F-Zero Thread
« Reply #98 on: April 25, 2003, 08:08:21 AM »
Nintendo's E3 site has updated with a tabbed setup, the funny thing is the tab just says "F-ZERO", but if you click it, briefly during the interim it says "F-ZERO GX" (not "GC", "GX"). Click it repeatedly and take a few Print Screens if you have trouble seeing it.

Offline Mingesium

• View Profile
Official F-Zero Thread
« Reply #99 on: April 25, 2003, 08:13:10 AM »
it looks like a typo since the X and C are so close to the keyboard

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
    • View Profile
Official F-Zero Thread
« Reply #100 on: April 25, 2003, 10:32:34 AM »
hehehehe yay typo get!

Offline EggyToast

• View Profile
Official F-Zero Thread
« Reply #101 on: April 25, 2003, 02:38:03 PM »
The tracks in the arcade version are different from the tracks in the GC version, but they haven't said anything about transferring the entire track to the other system.  I doubt it's possible without some seriously large memory card transfers.  And then what'd be the point of playing the arcade version?  A few people would download the tracks to memory card, upload them to the web via a memory card to usb adapter, and everyone else woudl download them and the arcade version would be useless.  

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
    • View Profile
Official F-Zero Thread
« Reply #102 on: April 27, 2003, 05:38:19 AM »
Fzero's aussie release date is September, yay! That's actually sooner than i thought.

Offline Kulock

• View Profile
Official F-Zero Thread
« Reply #103 on: April 28, 2003, 01:59:58 PM »

Originally posted by: Mingesium
it looks like a typo since the X and C are so close to the keyboard

Good point. Odd that they left it, though, since the full title just says "F-ZERO", not even a "GC" afterward.

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
    • View Profile
Official F-Zero Thread
« Reply #104 on: April 28, 2003, 04:05:29 PM »
Meh.
E3 will tell all.

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
    • View Profile
Official F-Zero Thread
« Reply #105 on: May 28, 2003, 01:58:55 AM »
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n10/e3_2003/movie/fzero_gx.wmv

HOLY MOTHER OF STUFFED PICKLES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 OMFG this game has some of the best graphics ive ever seen! Certainly the fastest! Wow, even after seeing all the other movies this one still blew me away. DOWNLOAD THE MOVIE NOW!!!!! Its new by the way, and its not the same as Nintendos E3 trailer, its the japan one that was just put up. OMG! The character models are so detailed. Wow.

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
    • View Profile
RE: Official F-Zero Thread
« Reply #106 on: May 28, 2003, 03:09:48 AM »
Yes, it's the same as Nintendo.com's one.
Unless they changed the video during/after E3.

If you're downloading both, and they both are 12MB, they're the same.

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
    • View Profile
Official F-Zero Thread
« Reply #107 on: May 28, 2003, 03:10:26 PM »
Actually Termin8Anakin i have both the American fzero trailer and the Japan one and they are completely different. The one from Nintendo Japan craps all over the one from Nintendo America. You havent downloaded it have you?

Offline CRiXy

• View Profile
Official F-Zero Thread
« Reply #108 on: May 28, 2003, 11:57:41 PM »
It's the same one at Nintendo.com.
Live in BC? (GVRD)
Wanna trade some games?
Email or ICQ me!

Offline Tael

• View Profile
Official F-Zero Thread
« Reply #109 on: May 29, 2003, 02:12:33 AM »
Yeah, the two videos from the Nintendo sites are the same, but the video from F-Zero site is longer.  

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
    • View Profile
Official F-Zero Thread
« Reply #110 on: June 08, 2003, 05:07:03 AM »
Just wanted to let everyone know of the new F-Zero GX movie.
It's similar to the recent 12MB one they had for E3, in that it has character FMVs (very nice!) but this one is waaay better. Better footage, better quality, and longer running time (3min).
Thanks to Mario for the heads up.

And get it with the sound on, of course, for a measly 21MB. But if you don't want sound (you freak!), it's only 5MB. So get downloading!
F-Zero GX E3 Trailer

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
    • View Profile
Official F-Zero Thread
« Reply #111 on: June 08, 2003, 05:15:53 AM »
Oh yeah, thanks for posting that Termin8Anakin, i was going to but i forgot. Everyone remotely interested in Fzero download that movie! RIGHT NOW!

Offline Hemmorrhoid

• View Profile
Official F-Zero Thread
« Reply #112 on: June 08, 2003, 05:31:15 AM »
F-Zero is coming close, only a few more painful months
shiat though that it gets released after the summer break
LZ 2005

Offline bootang82

• View Profile
Official F-Zero Thread
« Reply #113 on: June 08, 2003, 07:03:14 AM »
Sorry if anyone already asked this, but is this game gonna be progressive scan compatible?

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 09, 2003, 06:55:17 PM »
man, i dunno.
but don't it look impressive already?

Offline Mingesium

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 09, 2003, 07:19:42 PM »
I think that Super Monkey Ball 2 is progressive scan. I assume AV would add that feature to FZero.

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 10, 2003, 01:15:49 AM »
hey, i know theres a difference between 50Hz and 60Hz, but whats the advantages?
I play in 50Hz (except for with Bonus Disc where I have to use 60Hz), cause 60Hz causes this magnetetic blinking sorta thing on the bottom right of my screen.
whats wrong?

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
    • View Profile
Official F-Zero Thread
« Reply #117 on: June 10, 2003, 08:38:32 PM »
50hz isn't as fast and smooth as 60hz, but it has 'slightly' better image quality. 60hz is a bit better than 50hz, but not by that much. I prefer 60hz. It just feels better to play on 60hz i reckon, its smoother. Termin8, i guess your tv cant handle 60hz, is it old? My old tv couldnt go in 60hz mode either, it made the screen go black and white and fuzzy.

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 11, 2003, 03:47:14 AM »
my tv is new. it can go 60Hz fine. just that it flickers (you can notice it, but it's not distracting or anything) on a very small patch on the bottom right of the TV.

Offline bootang82

• View Profile
Official F-Zero Thread
« Reply #119 on: June 11, 2003, 06:19:38 AM »

Originally posted by: Termin8Anakin
man, i dunno.
but don't it look impressive already?

It totally impressed me, but after playing all my systems on either 13" or 20" (with the exception of the 36" in my parents room that I use once in a while), I'm finally getting a sick tv and want to experience what everyone always talks about. And since this game has such a "fast feel" to it, I think it would be the perfect game to try out the new enhanced visuals that you get with prog. scan.

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
    • View Profile
Official F-Zero Thread
« Reply #120 on: June 11, 2003, 06:34:55 PM »
Everyone, IGNCube has what may be the final box art for F-Zero GX. Click away:

F-Zero GX Final Box Art?

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
    • View Profile
Official F-Zero Thread
« Reply #121 on: June 11, 2003, 06:46:44 PM »
Looks... interesting. Not bad, but could be better.

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 11, 2003, 08:14:35 PM »
At least its better than the Captain Falcon-only box

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 11, 2003, 10:54:37 PM »
i like it! <--- Barny Gumble voice. looks kinda fzero x though

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 12, 2003, 03:19:11 AM »
The F-Zero X box had more action on it.

Offline Fish

• View Profile
Official F-Zero Thread
« Reply #125 on: June 15, 2003, 11:13:15 AM »
Hi, i dont feel like reading 7 pages right now so i don know has this been answered but is it possible for 2(or more) players play that tournament with 20 or so CPUs. Some racing games multiplayers are just player Vs player with no CPUs. I think its stupid its so nice to race with your friend and with CPUs

No matter though, im gonna buy this. Looks so cool

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: June 15, 2003, 04:49:34 PM »
The versus in F-Zero X always had four racers, eg, if you only had two players, the CPU would make up the other two.
I hope they have all 32/3 racers on the track when you play VS mode too. That would be cool.
I don't know about a two (or more) player tournament, but that would be cool also.

The closest game I can think of that has a two player 'career' mode is XG3.

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
    • View Profile
Official F-Zero Thread
« Reply #127 on: June 16, 2003, 01:07:15 AM »
Everyone!
New direct feed pics of F-Zero GX!
And this time, there are pics of the on-screen displays too! And it's f**king awesome!
Very F-Zero-like.
And look! A rainbow energy meter!
Multiplayer screens!
It's all here!

These are very high quality. Better quality than any of the other pics. These are crystal Clear. Get to it! Chop chop!

New F-Zero pics! 11 of them!

One thing you'll also see as well is how all the movies of F-Zero GX are now for Insiders.  

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
    • View Profile
Official F-Zero Thread
« Reply #128 on: June 16, 2003, 01:20:18 AM »
Omg! Finally pics of the multiplayer mode, yay. That looks so sweet, i cant wait for this game!

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: June 16, 2003, 01:24:10 AM »
These are very sweet pics.
too bad though, that the multiplayer has no CPU players.
So Fish, it doesn't look like it.

Offline Fish

• View Profile
Official F-Zero Thread
« Reply #130 on: June 16, 2003, 05:36:54 AM »
Too bad. Well, no worries, gonna buy this anyway. I hope it has as good music as N64 F-Zero. When the music started in Mute City i could telll it was gonna be as good as Snes F-Zero.Hope the same music is in F-Zero GX

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
    • View Profile
Official F-Zero Thread
« Reply #131 on: June 16, 2003, 08:43:41 PM »
Everyone!
More new pics of F-Zero GX!
This time it's character art!
Head over there now!

F-Zero GX Character art!

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
    • View Profile
Official F-Zero Thread
« Reply #132 on: June 20, 2003, 04:06:44 AM »

Offline CHEN

• These peas taste AWESOME
    • View Profile
Official F-Zero Thread
« Reply #133 on: June 20, 2003, 05:16:36 AM »
sweet ... can't wait ... drool

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
    • View Profile
Official F-Zero Thread
« Reply #134 on: June 20, 2003, 04:05:40 PM »

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: June 20, 2003, 06:36:08 PM »
GASP!

*breath gets taken away*

Holy mother of christ!
It all looks familiar, yet different!
And look at Mute City!
Green Plant!
All of it!
It's like the tracks have been visually upgraded since last week!
OMG!

And look! There's a place I've never heard of before:
Vegaspalas!
Outerspace??

WHOA!

Offline Fish

• View Profile
Official F-Zero Thread
« Reply #136 on: June 20, 2003, 08:24:55 PM »
Which do you think is cooler AX or GX pics?

I think their about the same but that arcade machine looks so cool, too bad ods are that it will never come to finland.

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: June 21, 2003, 05:31:10 AM »
they look the same to me.

Offline Fish

• View Profile
Official F-Zero Thread
« Reply #138 on: June 21, 2003, 07:13:31 AM »
Wonder why theres no AX pics of vegaspalas and no GX pics of outerspace?
Could it be that Vegaspalas is only in GX and outerspace in AX?

Offline CHEN

• View Profile
Official F-Zero Thread
« Reply #139 on: June 23, 2003, 02:02:32 AM »
I seriously hope not.

Offline Tael

• View Profile
Official F-Zero Thread
« Reply #140 on: June 23, 2003, 02:46:18 AM »
Actually, it'd make sense to have a few unique tracks in AX, as even though the AX tracks are going to be different from the GX tracks, there still needs to be some extra incentive for GX owners to play the arcade version with the memory card features.

Offline Fish

• View Profile
Official F-Zero Thread
« Reply #141 on: June 24, 2003, 07:22:42 AM »
Well...looks like both vega palas and outern space are in GX. Magicbox has some screens from both courses and sais their from GX version

http://www.the-magicbox.com/game062303b.htm    

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
    • View Profile
Official F-Zero Thread
« Reply #142 on: July 07, 2003, 06:34:24 PM »
Hmmmm, IGN Cube recently had a story saying F-Zero GX will support LAN play... but they seem to have mysteriously replaced it with this http://cube.ign.com/articles/427/427552p1.html

So whats going on?

Offline HolyPaladin

• View Profile
Official F-Zero Thread
« Reply #143 on: July 07, 2003, 06:44:21 PM »
Man, how did this thread manage to get topped after laying dead for two full weeks?
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

- Edmund Burke

If whatever I just posted sounds rude/hateful/whatever then you probably read it wrong, but I will insert apology here, anyways, just in case.

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: July 07, 2003, 06:48:52 PM »
What probably happened is that IGN posted the story, then was asked by Nintendo to remove it.  There's a gamer's summit tomorrow in San Francisco, and they probably tried to get the scoop.

There is still some question as to whether the LAN play feature will be in the game or not.  It's my understanding that the AX version uses system link to link up game cabinets, and that the code would simply be left in for the GX version.  Apparently, there's confusion as to whether or not this will still be the case.
:: Rob "Rick Powers" Stevens
:: Senior Editor Emeritus
:: Personal Blog
:: Wii Number: 7294 0910 3012 6153

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
    • View Profile
Official F-Zero Thread
« Reply #145 on: July 07, 2003, 06:53:14 PM »
Hmmm, interesting, i think you're right Rick. IGN also put up this story which says expect coverage of F-Zero GX soon. Hmmmm get!

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
Official F-Zero Thread
« Reply #146 on: July 08, 2003, 02:56:25 AM »
Dang those tracks look awesome.  Some pretty cool characters and stuff, too.

I am eagerly awaiting this game, if it has LAN or not matters little to me.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
    • View Profile
Official F-Zero Thread
« Reply #147 on: July 08, 2003, 03:13:16 AM »
Im mostly interested in LAN because it allows a tunnel for online gaming. The possibility of online F-Zero GX arouses me

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
Official F-Zero Thread
« Reply #148 on: July 08, 2003, 03:35:58 AM »
Arouses you?  Didn't know you felt that way about the Captain

Someone linked to a site. . . I think it was the official Japanese one.  They listed all the tracks (or at least all the currently released tracks), and outer space was not on the GX list.  That Vegas one was, though, as was one called Desert Ocean.  Or maybe Desert Sea.  Anyway, it looked cool, too.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline Cooolcorey

• View Profile
Official F-Zero Thread
« Reply #149 on: July 08, 2003, 06:32:41 AM »
I don't know which racing game I want more, Mario Kart or F-Zero. Tough decision, but I'll probaly end up getting both. Ah, who am I kidding? I will end up getting both! It will also give me a reason to buy the broadband adapter, which may lead to me getting PSO.

I hope Nintendo is supporting LAN play as much as they say they will. And I also hope they release that neat little LCD screen. Imagine if you're friend came over with his 'cube and F-Zero and his LCD screen, and hooked his 'cube up to yours. That is a great reason to release the LCD screen, not to mention playing games in the car on road trips.

Offline DRJ

• View Profile
Official F-Zero Thread
« Reply #150 on: July 08, 2003, 10:35:58 AM »
No LAN play for FZero, its official

Q: Will you have LAN support in F-Zero?

Nagoshi: Well, it's true at the time of E3 I was hoping that we would have that time. But we did not actually include a LAN mode in F-Zero.

Once you include a mode like that the multiplayer mode becomes the focus of gameplay. With F-Zero, we're more focused on the single-player game. That's the main reason we've not included it this time.

www.ign.com

I was really looking forward to having a maasive race with people online. Also no connectivity to GBA.

When you finish a race you will get a password that you can input on the FZero website. It will rank you with everyone else. Its an OK idea, but not my idea of taking a game online.
Ralph: Hi, Principal Skinner! Hi, Super Nintendo Chalmers!

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
Official F-Zero Thread
« Reply #151 on: July 08, 2003, 11:26:29 AM »
"With F-Zero, we're more focused on the single-player game. That's the main reason we've not included it this time."

Focused on SINGLE PLAYER?!  WHAT?!  This is a RACING game.  Multiplayer is argueably the most important thing.  I've got to say I'm pretty damn disappointed that not only is there no LAN but that the reason for it is absolutely ridiculous.

F-Zero GX is still one of my most anticipated games but it is very frustrating that it could have been so much more.  Features like LAN play and a track editor should have been in this game.  No excuses.

Offline CHEN

• View Profile
Official F-Zero Thread
« Reply #152 on: July 08, 2003, 12:56:46 PM »
Man, a thirty person F-Zero tournament grand prix would be hella cool. You would have to qualify who gets to start in first place and so on, like Formule one. Each region will have a qualifying race and the top three advances to the nationals who will then race for the champion's title blah blah blah...you get the picture

*CHEN dreams on*

PS I played F-Zero and it totally OWNZ.

Offline Mingesium

• View Profile
« Reply #153 on: July 08, 2003, 05:51:08 PM »
I don't get the lack of LAN play. If Nintendo wants to make LAN popular on consoles, they need games to support the feature. Kirby and Mario Kart is a good start, but throw in F-Zero and I bet more people would be playing on LAN.

Official F-Zero Thread
« Reply #154 on: July 08, 2003, 06:56:22 PM »
dang, those videos are amazing, now that I have cable internet . but Im least thrilled by the music, Its the same beats and songs, but no heavy solos or riffs . so I need to surply my own( metallica) music. My only real complaint is that its not coming out soon enuff, (puts gun to head, pulls trigger, CLICK!)  
I need to pray about it

Offline HolyPaladin

• View Profile
Official F-Zero Thread
« Reply #155 on: July 08, 2003, 07:01:51 PM »

Originally posted by: Mingesium
I don't get the lack of LAN play. If Nintendo wants to make LAN popular on consoles, they need games to support the feature. Kirby and Mario Kart is a good start, but throw in F-Zero and I bet more people would be playing on LAN.

That is up to Sega, since it is their game.  Yes, it is Nintendo's franchise and all, but Sega is actually the people making it, so Nintendo could want to see it in there, but Sega might not be thrilled about working it in.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

- Edmund Burke

If whatever I just posted sounds rude/hateful/whatever then you probably read it wrong, but I will insert apology here, anyways, just in case.

Offline Mingesium

• View Profile
« Reply #156 on: July 08, 2003, 07:32:19 PM »
Nintendo is the publisher so the decision on LAN play is up to them.

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
    • View Profile
Official F-Zero Thread
« Reply #157 on: July 10, 2003, 01:45:05 AM »
http://f-zero.jp/movie/mpeg/cm_jikkan30_l.mpg

Thats the F-Zero GX commercial thats showing in Japan. It looks ok, the first ten seconds are really good, but i swear, they pick the worst gameplay shots :\

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
    • View Profile
RE:Official F-Zero Thread
« Reply #158 on: July 27, 2003, 10:53:20 PM »
F-Zero GX is selling well in Japan, no sales numbers yet though

1 GC F-ZERO GX SPR Nintendo 2003/07/25
2 PS2 Metropolitan quantity battle 01 SPR Energy 2003/07/24
3 PS2 On-the-spot powerful professional baseball 10 SPR KONAMI 2003/07/17
4 PS2 Mr. Oji of tennis -Smash Hit! - (first time limited edition) SPR KONAMI 2003/07/24
5 GBA Onimusha Tactics SML Capcom 2003/07/25
6 GBA Super MARIO advance 4 ACG Nintendo 2003/07/11
7 GC Air RAIDO of KABII SPR Nintendo 2003/07/11
8 GBA Noted detective Conan Detective aimed at AVG Van presto 2003/07/25
9 PS2 SOCOM U.S.NAVY SEALS SHT Sony Computer Entertainment 2003/07/24
10 GBA Shining soul II RPL Sega 2003/07/24

1 PS2 Metropolitan quantity battle 01 SPR Energy 2003/07/24
2 GC F-ZERO GX SPR Nintendo 2003/07/25
3 PS2 On-the-spot powerful professional baseball 10 SPR KONAMI 2003/07/17
4 GC Air RAIDO of KABII SPR Nintendo 2003/07/11
5 GBA Super MARIO advance 4 ACG Nintendo 2003/07/11
6 PS2 Mr. Oji of tennis -Smash Hit! - (first time limited edition) SPR KONAMI 2003/07/24
7 GBA Onimusha Tactics SML Capcom 2003/07/25
8 PS2 SOCOM U.S.NAVY SEALS SHT Sony Computer Entertainment 2003/07/24
9 GBA Noted detective Conan Detective aimed at AVG Van presto 2003/07/25
10 GC Striking-how woods e+ NOJ Nintendo 2003/06/27

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: July 28, 2003, 03:39:34 AM »
Quote: IanSane
-----------------------------------------------------------
Focused on SINGLE PLAYER?! WHAT?! This is a RACING game. Multiplayer is argueably the most important thing. I've got to say I'm pretty damn disappointed that not only is there no LAN but that the reason for it is absolutely ridiculous.

I'm not actually that disappointed by it
*runs*

*shouts from safe distance*

I don't have anyone to race against in F-Zero X. I brought F-Zero X over to a friend's 18th last year, and they fell of Mute City 1 at the jump, and I was like -___________-
If F-Zero GX is 10 times faster with more detailed graphics, I'm on my own, cause no one will verse me.
The only people I can only really play with are Mario and Infernal, but I don't really see them every week......

*runs back, hoping it's safe*

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
Re: F-Zero
« Reply #160 on: February 10, 2022, 11:18:39 PM »
I cant wait to play F-zero...the rip roaring speed...the music...i wanna play this in an arcade...as if i were in the cockpit of Captain Falco's car.

Yeah, I agree younger self. We really need a new F-Zero on the Switch or the next Switch.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: February 10, 2022, 11:28:55 PM »
Quote: IanSane
Focused on SINGLE PLAYER?! WHAT?! This is a RACING game. Multiplayer is argueably the most important thing. I've got to say I'm pretty damn disappointed that not only is there no LAN but that the reason for it is absolutely ridiculous.

I'm not actually that disappointed by it
*runs*

*shouts from safe distance*

I don't have anyone to race against in F-Zero X. I brought F-Zero X over to a friend's 18th last year, and they fell of Mute City 1 at the jump, and I was like -___________-
If F-Zero GX is 10 times faster with more detailed graphics, I'm on my own, cause no one will verse me.
The only people I can only really play with are Mario and Infernal, but I don't really see them every week......

*runs back, hoping it's safe*
Well now we don't have any F-Zero games. I hope you're happy.

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: February 13, 2022, 03:52:21 PM »

Yeah, I agree younger self. We really need a new F-Zero on the Switch or the next Switch.

:'(
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: February 14, 2022, 05:28:39 PM »
Whenever I see the MK8 sales numbers, it makes me so angry. That should be F-Zero with those sales numbers. MK8 stole from F-Zero and has been profiting off that theft ever since. MK8 stole F-Zero’s anti-gravity racing. It stole the Mute City and Big Blue locations and music. Heck, it even stole Captain Falcon’s F-Zero machine, the Blue Falcon. Bloody Mario driving around with it on Mute City acting like it’s all part of the Mushroom Kingdom and always has been. Does Captain Falcon at least get to race in MK8 with all this IP theft going on? Nope! The door’s slammed shut on at least just him, out of all the potential F-Zero racers, to get some kind of inclusion in the game. Meanwhile, some Inklings who don’t have any race tracks at all in the game are included as racers. The level of disrespect to F-Zero is nigh unforgivable. Really hoping the good Captain can find some way to hack into the MK8 scene and Falcon Punch all these crooks to show them what anti-gravity racing is all about.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: February 16, 2022, 01:36:52 PM »
I've never cared for F-Zero, but one thing I did like was the X-Cup in F-Zero X. While it never generated tracks better than the designed ones, it was still good for a laugh not knowing exactly what to expect, especially if it created a sharp turn after a jump that caused all the CPUs to careen off the track. I'd be curious to see how this mode could be improved with modern hardware; with the ever-growing trend of procedural generation these days, I guess this game was a bit ahead of its time.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: February 17, 2022, 04:28:20 PM »
The problem with F-Zero is the series peaked sales wise with the original on the SNES.  The original sold 2.85 million, but then the sequel on the N64 only did 1.1 million.  To make matters worse, both Wave Race and 1080 Snowboarding sold better with Wave Race 64 doing 2.9 million and 1080 Snowboarding doing 2 million.  I mean Mario Kart was always gong to do better, but when F-Zero is being outdone by other racing franchises that are performing closer to what the original SNES game did, that's not a good look at the strength of the franchise.

Now Maxium Velocity which was a GBA launch title managed to do 1 million, so there's consistancy between the 2nd and 3rd game.  This is probably why they were willing to give Sega a blank check to create GX which is one of the most graphically impressive Gamecube titles and has insane production values, with things like over 40 characters all getting their own theme song with vocals, and only putting these songs on their character bio pages that most people might spend a few second looking at.  Also every character got special CG ending sequences that can only be viewed by beating the game on the highest difficulty setting that 99% of players wont even be able to do.

Well needless to say, F-Zero GX despite all the love from critics and hardcore fans, didn't even sell a million units.  Despite all the money spent on it, F-Zero just wasn't catching on.  Then they tried one last minute save by making a low budget anime aimed at a younger audience along with a GBA tie in to the show, since the GBA was still popular at the time and Maxium Veloticy had sold a million copies a few years earlier.  Well, that anime tie in game ended up being the worst selling Nintendo published GBA game in North America.  Back when there were NPD leaks, I think it was revealed it only did around 50k in North America, which is why NOA didn't even bother to bring over the last GBA game, which only sold about 12k in Japan.

So even though it sucks for F-Zero fans, you can't say Nintendo didn't try.  Unlike something like Star Fox where they've done some pretty dumb things, F-Zero had a natural progression going from the original, to X and then GX that were all loved by the fans.  But like I said earlier, no matter what Nintendo did, the franchise never came close to the sales of the original.  If something like X taking the series into 3D, and GX ramping up the production value and content, isn't enough to make it more popular then the Mode 7, sprite based, hardware restricted original, then what else can they do?
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: February 18, 2022, 01:21:05 PM »
So even though it sucks for F-Zero fans, you can't say Nintendo didn't try.  Unlike something like Star Fox where they've done some pretty dumb things, F-Zero had a natural progression going from the original, to X and then GX that were all loved by the fans.  But like I said earlier, no matter what Nintendo did, the franchise never came close to the sales of the original.  If something like X taking the series into 3D, and GX ramping up the production value and content, isn't enough to make it more popular then the Mode 7, sprite based, hardware restricted original, then what else can they do?

The Star Fox comparison is also apt in the sense both series have a tendency to release their biggest projects on unsuccessful systems. While I'm not saying Starfox Adventures/Assault/Zero or F-Zero X & GX would have been blockbusters on Wii or Switch, it's a little disappointing neither was really offered the opportunity to try.

By now I've accepted FAST Racing Neo/RMX as the de facto F-Zero successor. It doesn't quite have the personality, but it's pretty close. Hopefully F-Zero GX one day escapes the GameCube ecosystem, whether it's a port, remaster, or just the ROM in a hypothetical Switch Online wrapper.
In my ideal world the Mario Kart team (or maybe Retro Studios?) gets to cut loose and make a proper new one, but that's a (half)pipe dream at best. I'd be really happy with a GX port of some kind.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: February 18, 2022, 03:26:03 PM »
I bet porting Starfox Zero to Switch is just a 6 week job by a team of 5.

And if they're so worried about it's sales, just make it digital.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: February 18, 2022, 10:20:07 PM »
Porting Star Fox Zero would require completely overhauling the control scheme, it wouldn't be a simple job. I think that's the biggest reason we haven't seen it make the jump.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent