Author Topic: Final Fantasy 3 on Game Boy Advance?  (Read 43857 times)

Offline nitsu niflheim

• Eye-Candy Andy
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
Final Fantasy 3 on Game Boy Advance?
« on: January 31, 2003, 05:58:25 PM »
Does anybody remember a while back when there was talk about the Wonderswan remake of Final Fantasy 3 being brought over the the GBA?  I think that Square should go ahead and do it, because I want to play the damn game already.
Currently Reading:  Odd Apocalypse ~ Dean Koontz
Currently Watching:  ?

Offline baberg

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2003, 07:52:16 PM »
What do you mean by "Final Fantasy 3"?  Do you mean FF3 from Japan (never released here, originally on the NES) or FF3 from the USA (originally FF6 for the SNES)?  I always use the Japanese numbering scheme, but I know that many people don't, so I'm unclear.

Final Fantasy 6 is widely considered to be one of the best RPGs of all time, and if it were to be enhanced on the GBA, I'd go nuts.  FF3 was unreleased here, so if it were to be enhanced on the GBA, I'd go nuts.  So I guess my point is moot - I'd go nuts if a Final Fantasy game were ported to the GBA.

Does that make me a Square fanboy? :-)
Name: Barry
Town: Hyrule

Offline RABicle

• Used to be The Finisher
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2003, 09:25:39 PM »
Ok guys.
The Final Fantasy 3 that was ported to the wonderswan colour was the japanese one not FF6 thats caleld FF3 in America. Infact Square announced plans to port FF 4 5 and 6 to GBA shortly after the GBA was announced.
But good old Yamauchi stepped in the way and told Square to shove it so to speak. he told them that he wouldn't give them a licence to develop GBA games unless they pledged support for the Gamecube. Square were just about to sign the contracts to do just that when Sony stepped in the way and bought 19% of Square.

Then ofcourse there was the day hell froze over and yamauchi funded a sqaure-nintendo subsidory to develop FF games for GBA and GCN. So that said theres still a chance that Square will do what they orignally planned and port 4, 5 and 6 over the GBA but not before they finish Crystal Chronicles and Tactics.
Pietriots  - Post ironic gaming log.

Offline nitsu niflheim

• Eye-Candy Andy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2003, 10:09:02 AM »
I knew about all that RABicle.  I was just wondering if Square would bring it over to GBA, because there had been something said about it a while back.  I don't think Square would port it to the PS1 like they did with FF 1 & 2 unless they put another game with it.  And I don't think they would put it on the PS2 because not many people I fear, will spend the price they would probably set for an old a game as FF3 is (anything overe 29.99 will be too much).  On the GBA it would be okay since the graphics would not stick out like a sore thumb, as both FF1 & FF2 will when it is released here in the States in April.  Europe is getting the game in March from what I have read.  Don't know about Australia though.

Offline BlkPaladin

• View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2003, 04:01:15 PM »
Well they already started it in some form. And Square seems to like to milk their franchises, so we may see it on the GBA and maybe Gamecube.
Stupidity is lost on my. Then again I'm almost always lost.

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2003, 04:23:00 PM »
Final Fantasy IV (II), V, and VI (III) have all been re-released on PlayStation already.  IV was great, but the sound emulation in VI was so horrible I wouldn't even play it.

As for GBA, I'd rather they not port FFVI again because of the audio quality.  The GBA isn't quite as powerful as the SNES so there will certainly be sacrifices made.  This is one of my favorite RPGs of all time, and I'd like Square to treat it with some respect and put out a decent re-release.  I certainly wouldn't mind a GameCube compilation.
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline Matt

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2003, 04:40:58 PM »
I'd like to see this game.
Matt
Contact Info in Profile

Offline RABicle

• Used to be The Finisher
    • View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2003, 01:19:16 AM »

Originally posted by: Bloodworth
As for GBA, I'd rather they not port FFVI again because of the audio quality.  The GBA isn't quite as powerful as the SNES so there will certainly be sacrifices made.
With all the speech and stuff the GBA pumps out in Nintendo's SNES ports you'ld think it has a better sound card. And then you compare these voices to those in Super Metroid and Street Fighter 2 (The only SNES games I can remember with voice acting off the of of my head) and you'ld be certain that it's got a better sound card. Prehaps you could enlighten us in which one is really superior?
Pietriots  - Post ironic gaming log.

Offline JoshuaSlone

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2003, 10:00:12 AM »
I'm sure they won't put off porting FFs 1-6 to the GBA forever.  My best guess is that they want to do them in order, but don't want to release the first two right now, to give the PlayStation ports of the Wonderswan Color remakes their chance to sell.

RABicle: You're right that GBA does more and better speech, though a lot of this is due to the fact that GBA carts tend to hold more than SNES carts, so there's simply more room to store such things.  However, compare the same musics being done on SNES and GBA (the Super Mario Advance games are good examples), and the GBA ones just plain sound inferior.  The output quality of the sound is lower than that of SNES as ewll.

So yeah, some sound aspects are better, and some are worse.  A lot like the graphics, actually.  More effects and colors, but only 2/3 the screen area.
---------------
Town: Kafnburg
Name: Joshua

Offline Uglydot

• Jesus
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2003, 01:25:29 AM »
Heh, I have FF3/6 and it is amazing.  Hard as HELL though.  I wonder how many games Square would put out if they stopped ported everything all the time...

Offline nitsu niflheim

• Eye-Candy Andy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2003, 09:28:50 AM »
The Final Fantasy 3 I am referring to, to those you don't know, is Final Fantsay 3 in Japan, not Final Fantasy 6 that was renamed Final Fantasy 3 when it was translated.

Offline BlkPaladin

• View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2003, 03:59:53 PM »
Accually it depend on how much time the developer is willing spend on the port. The GBA does have the audio tools out their that can dust anything done on the SNES. MusyX tools are availible for the Gameboy series also, I do believe. And as we have seen with the Gamecube alot of the developers are not willing to put that kind of investment into a port.

Yes I was correct. Here is the link with the specs the software can help the GBA do.
Stupidity is lost on my. Then again I'm almost always lost.

Offline gcfreak

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2003, 11:55:16 AM »
am currently playing final fantasy 6 on playstation. its the first final fantasy i'vce ever played. i don't think the gba would have problems with any of the first 6 final fantasy games (using Japanese numbering i think). anyway this is my first post at the new boards. wooohoo!!!
~GameCube Freak~

Offline Uncle Rich AiAi

• Abandoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2003, 12:12:00 AM »
i've never played any of the FF games (shoot me!), but am currently enjoying Golden Sun.  if square did port any of the old games on the GBA, i'll maybe buy 'em...

Offline waddle_dee

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2003, 04:25:44 PM »
A gamecube compilation would be awesome. better sound, and they could perhaps add in a whole bunch of extra new stuff, like concept art, or something.  
I am beverage.

Offline cubeless

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2003, 05:51:59 PM »
I would like to use two points of reference in this: Kirby: Nightmare in Dream Land and Zelda: LTTP & Four Swords. When there is a NES - GBA port, there are two options. Since the Square Channels are there on the GBA, much of the original sound from the NES can be kept. But one might want to do something different. So it was with Kirby. The sound was excellent in that game, and nearly all of it came from the digital sound. However, in Zelda, a direct sound port, many of the instruments had to be left out, due to hardware limitations. It didn't end up sounding bad, it just sounded not right. Probably the best technical part of FFVI is its sound, so I would be a little hesitant for it to be released unless there were some extreme advances in the sound processing technology available. For FFIII, though, the port allows many opportunities to improve that game, so I would be much more apt to it.
The Zebra will win if he...

1. Remains focused
2. Realizes it is a race

Wise words, from a wise man

Offline Pat

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2003, 03:58:24 PM »
I say..we get FF6 and Seiken Densetsu 3 (Secret of Mana 2 for those of you who don't know. >.> <.< on GBA. So what if the sound is a little worst on the GBA than the SNES, of if the sound is better on the GBA than the SNES, I'd love to get my hands on FF6 that I can play on the go, and to get a legal translated Seiken Densetsu 3 to play, especially when I get that..thinger..for the my Gamecube, the GBA Player? O.o Something like that..? Oh, and just to put in my lil comment again..::sigh:: ..Why didn't Nintendo put in an AC adapter outlet on the GBA again? >/ ::hates losing Samus in Metroid Fusion to Batteries:: >/!!!! Samus..O Samus..where has thou gone?
Current Game Playing - Halo
Current Most Wanted Game - PlanetSide
Current Favorite Game - Halo
Current Favorite Console Of All Time - SNES

--------------------------

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2003, 04:40:51 PM »

Originally posted by: Bloodworth

As for GBA, I'd rather they not port FFVI again because of the audio quality.  The GBA isn't quite as powerful as the SNES so there will certainly be sacrifices made.  This is one of my favorite RPGs of all time, and I'd like Square to treat it with some respect and put out a decent re-release.  I certainly wouldn't mind a GameCube compilation.

Same here, if you may not get any new FF, (Final Fantasy 12) and are only getting FF spinoffs, then at least we should be able to get all the old FF from PS1/SNES on a compilation cd for the cube. That would just make my year.  Hopefully, we see FF3 on the GBA, as well as othe FF. Whatever the situation, I'll be playing it on the cube anyway, with my GBA/cube hook-up thingy that allows you to play Gba games on the cube

it was time for a change.