Author Topic: "Networking Gamecubes"  (Read 22819 times)

Offline mrbojangos

• foggy goggle
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
"Networking Gamecubes"
« Reply #50 on: February 16, 2003, 09:01:17 PM »
and this means... nintendo is into wireless networking?   or am i missing something
wii- 0480067198119868

msg me on aim (mrbojangos2k5)with your FC if u add so i can add yours

Offline Endo

• View Profile
"Networking Gamecubes"
« Reply #51 on: February 16, 2003, 09:21:21 PM »
What it means is, you might be able to LAN your Gamecubes on a standard without interferance.  I believe I remember hearing the technology is viable up to a mile or two.  So you could quite possibly LAN with a friend in a different house.  All the talk about the difficulty of moving TVs around (i.e entertainment setups with 27" or whatnot) would be null and void, not necessary.  Of course, what's the fun in a LAN type arrangement if you can't victory dance and taunt in the same room as your opponent?  

Offline Azule

• View Profile
"Networking Gamecubes"
« Reply #52 on: February 16, 2003, 09:43:28 PM »
F-Zero, with 30 real players............ This seems like a job for the arcade version.....that's be cool. Probably have to be done in a traveling tour of some sort.
I have crabs, would you like some?

Visit TendoFire, it's for your own good, OK!

Offline nonjagged

• View Profile
"Networking Gamecubes"
« Reply #53 on: February 17, 2003, 05:51:12 AM »
Hopefully, GameSpy will create a tunnelling software like they did for the Xbox so that these networkable games will be playable over the Internet.

Both Gamespy and a South Asian company have had official GCN online/lan tools available for developers to use the past 6 months.
Hopefully some of the real 3rd party supporting developers use the tools and make LAN or Online gaming an option because N64 was the epitome of 4 player splitscreen but this Nintendo platform should move on and support fullscreen/LCD LAN gaming.
I truly beleive all it needs is a handful of AAA quality Nintendo 1st / 2nd party games that take advantage of LAN/Networking/Online gaming and you will see Nintendo breakaway with huge sales figures.

As for Live Voice being mandatory, I dont believe it should be because I find it annoyingly monotonous when you get some gamers with irritating quirks and what about other gamers that try to intentionally distract you with Voice tactics in a cheating way.

Personally for me typing text line communication is more appealing especially when the language you type in is 733t.

Networking GCN with quality game experiences could actually double its current worldwide sales quicker than it could ever.

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
"Networking Gamecubes"
« Reply #54 on: February 17, 2003, 06:05:16 AM »

As for Live Voice being mandatory, I dont believe it should be because I find it annoyingly monotonous when you get some gamers with irritating quirks and what about other gamers that try to intentionally distract you with Voice tactics in a cheating way.

Personally for me typing text line communication is more appealing especially when the language you type in is 733t.

You can ignore the morons.  But quit frankly, I'd rather have voice than not, now that I've used it.  I'm a fast typer, but it still requires you to effectively STOP PLAYING, while you respond.  Same with on-screen keyboards or voice input ... you have to stop playing to enter a command.  With voice, the gaming never stops.  Plus, there's emotion and nuance that comes across with voice that you just don't get with text.
:: Rob "Rick Powers" Stevens
:: Senior Editor Emeritus
:: Personal Blog
:: Wii Number: 7294 0910 3012 6153

Offline Christberg

• View Profile
"Networking Gamecubes"
« Reply #55 on: February 17, 2003, 07:11:01 AM »

Originally posted by: Endo
What it means is, you might be able to LAN your Gamecubes on a standard without interferance.  I believe I remember hearing the technology is viable up to a mile or two.  So you could quite possibly LAN with a friend in a different house.  All the talk about the difficulty of moving TVs around (i.e entertainment setups with 27" or whatnot) would be null and void, not necessary.  Of course, what's the fun in a LAN type arrangement if you can't victory dance and taunt in the same room as your opponent?

Unfortunately, this stuff is more likely slated for Nintendo's next system as much as I hate to say it... but then again, it'll mean that the potential functionality of it is much higher.  Gameboy that reads mem cards for downloadable content from the home system wirelessly? (Imagine the GP32 only more convenient and almost as powerful as a DC)   Wireless home system/GBA connectivity?  You bet.  Wireless controllers standard? No problemo.  As many controllers as you want to plug into one system viable?  Yep.  (Imagine the nightmare of an 8 player Smash Brothers on one screen or an 8 (or more) player Mario Party).  Wireless GBA multiplayer with more than 4 players and you don't even have to be in the same room, much less house?  You bet.

All that, plus the stuff you mentioned.

Offline nonjagged

• View Profile
"Networking Gamecubes"
« Reply #56 on: February 17, 2003, 06:54:03 PM »
Does anyone know that the technology M$ is stealing/copying/borrowing/leeching from Atari by paying the head engineer to produce it for M$ now (ie. wireless radiowaves technology developed back in the 80's but never really released because Atari was sold off in chunks) will be used for secret handheld console or for future Xbox2 technology?

-----------
2003 = The Year of the Fund Q

Offline gopher

• View Profile
"Networking Gamecubes"
« Reply #57 on: February 17, 2003, 07:41:36 PM »
I think the 2 mile technology was 2.11b or something like that. It allows up to 2 miles of networktivity. Good for playing with a friend around the block or down the road.

Offline manunited4eva22

• Got 1337?
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
"Networking Gamecubes"
« Reply #58 on: February 18, 2003, 11:08:58 AM »
I'm not familiar with 2.11, how fast does it refresh/how much data does it send per second. Any help would be good.

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
"Networking Gamecubes"
« Reply #59 on: February 18, 2003, 11:17:35 AM »
802.11B is about 11MBps, just slightly faster than a "slow" network connection.  It operates on a 2.4GHz frequency, and tends to interfere with other devices on the same frequency, like Bluetooth wireless devices, 2.4GHz portable phones, etc.
:: Rob "Rick Powers" Stevens
:: Senior Editor Emeritus
:: Personal Blog
:: Wii Number: 7294 0910 3012 6153

Offline rodtod

• View Profile
"Networking Gamecubes"
« Reply #60 on: February 18, 2003, 11:50:09 AM »
wireless is the best way to go when constructing a network. but if you take into account how many people plan on playing online video games, the FCC would throw a fit.  
will the real rodtod please stand up, please stand up, please stand u-[SMACK!]

Offline manunited4eva22

• Got 1337?
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
"Networking Gamecubes"
« Reply #61 on: February 18, 2003, 03:40:06 PM »
Thanks Rick. After hearing that, I somehow doubt that being used as the next network adapter. It sounds more like a controller or at most a very small network helper. Considering if it would interfere with 2.4Ghz phones, it would be useless in a lot of crowded areas (dorms, apartments)