Author Topic: Happy 10th Birthday, Nintendo World Report!  (Read 25074 times)

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
Re: Happy 10th Birthday, Nintendo World Report!
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2009, 02:51:27 PM »
Nice Cake ShyGuy.
So let me tell you guys how I found the site.Before each Gen I look for Nintendo sites.So I was searching on Google back when the GameCube got its name.Planet GameCube was one of the first sites I found in the listings.So I came here.Looked around the site found everything to be nice.So I delved into the forums to lurk.I created an account.After a while I stopped posting.Went back to playing games.
Wii comes out.I get one December 1st 2006.While looking at some faqs on Gamefaqs I found out what VC games were coming out on Monday but I learned them on Friday.On January 11th 2008 I started posting.I posted on Fridays what VC games were coming out.I did that till Wiiware came out.When the info coming out was pluged.So I started posting news since news was pretty slow at the time.Nice job hiring Flames of Chaos. That helps alot.

A few memories of mine on this forum.My first Mafia game,SSBB not working and getting advice,The Wi-Fi nights,Celebrating the New Year in AC:CF,Celebrating Smash Brother's Birthday with Pap64 and Golden Phoenix,Bill leaving and Mario getting banned.Just getting to know you guys.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2009, 03:43:43 PM »
I want to know some of the staff's stories.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2009, 04:14:29 PM »
I found the site by serendipity. Gamespy used to have dedicated sites for various PC games (planetQuake, planetHitman, etc) I typed in planetgamecube.com and was shocked and dismayed that it wasn't a Gamespy site. Years later, I'm still ticked off about it.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2009, 09:59:48 PM by ShyGuy »

Offline AManatee2

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2009, 04:17:08 PM »
I was super excited about the GameCube when I first fount this site. I haven't ever posted that much, but I'm a long time follower and reader.

And I miss the SHINE GET fun stuff I used to read about 'round here.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2009, 04:20:09 PM »
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Has it really been 10 years? Geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuussssssssssssssss tttiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiitttttttttttttttttttttyyyyyyyyyyyyy fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuccccccccccckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkinnnnnnnnngggggg

It's been a great run so far, let's see if you can make it another ten!

;D Cheers! ;D
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Rize

• Disgruntled
  • Score: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2009, 05:24:06 PM »
I want to know some of the staff's stories.

I got on the staff back in 2001 by making these size comparison pictures:  http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/newsArt.cfm?artid=5154

At the time, Microsoft had not released the official dimensions of the Xbox so it was hard to tell exactly how big it would be.  I used the size of the dvd tray as a way to pin point the size of the xbox and scaled the pictures accordingly.  The rough estimate of size turned out to be pretty close.  The PS2 was a little too big however.

Max Lake wanted to post the shots, and a little afterwards Jonathan Metts suggested that I might want to join the staff.  So I asked Billy, he said yes and the rest is history.

At least it went something like that.  My memory is getting a little fuzzy on the details for something that occured so long ago.

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2009, 05:40:15 PM »
I actually started by doing release dates way back in the day on Justin Nation's old site The 64 Source.  That was probably 1998.  Then Max Lake took over The 64 Source, then he shut that down, and I think after that I moved over to Nintendojo for a short while.  Then I took a break for a year or so, then Max started writing for PGC and got me hired there IIRC, then I quit PGC for a while (maybe a year or two?).  Then I came back to PGC about 2003/2004-ish, and here I am.

Just another rags-to-riches story.  LOL
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2009, 05:54:36 PM »
Hmmm, well with me I joined in 2003 I believe. I popped in every once in awhile and defended things like Nintendo DS, but my posts were few and far between. I became more prevalent the day the Wii name was announced (Which I defended along with Mario and Hostile Creation), that brought me into the fold and from then on I've been annoying people since. ;)
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2009, 06:21:32 PM »
I actually started by doing release dates way back in the day on Justin Nation's old site The 64 Source.  That was probably 1998.  Then Max Lake took over The 64 Source, then he shut that down, and I think after that I moved over to Nintendojo for a short while.  Then I took a break for a year or so, then Max started writing for PGC and got me hired there IIRC, then I quit PGC for a while (maybe a year or two?).  Then I came back to PGC about 2003/2004-ish, and here I am.

Just another rags-to-riches story.  LOL

What did you do over @ Nintendojo and what name/avatar did you work under? I followed them on an off over the years so I am curious if I remember seeing you as a review author or something.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2009, 06:43:41 PM »
How long till stevey comes in and bashes the site once more? :p

I've been lurking the site when the GC was still "The Dolphin". I remember the site had some exclusive info on Factor 5's Thornado, complete with an MP3 of one of the songs.

I never properly joined the site till sometime in 2006, when the Wii hype was its strongest. Despite its rough spots, arguments with members and some sour moments its been a blast and I've made a lot of friends here.

If you guys want cake...

:D
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Justin Nation

• Programmer, Senior Editor, Daddy
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
    • MAMEiac Gaming
« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2009, 06:56:32 PM »
Well, if we're doing stories... how about going OLD SCHOOL!

- I was always a Nintendo junkie and saw this really cool site while I was early on in college called N64HQ run by Scott McCall. One day he had a posting up looking for staff so I wrote some stuff and got on.

- Wrote some reviews and extremely long-winded editorials for the HQ for a while and then Scott decided to close to doors. OH NOES!

- At the very end of the HQ I decided I'd try to start up my own site and within a month or two from it closing The 64 Source was born. I'd managed to cobble together some great former N64HQ staff as well as nuts like Max Lake and Rob Stevens as well. Also picked up people like Jonathan Lindemann and some others who've come and gone.

- At its peak with 64 Source I think I was managing a staff of over 20 people. We had specific people dedicated to pretty much all major areas including news, codes, previews, release dates, etc. On top of that we had female staff, people from Europe, someone in Japan, and I think even a person in Australia. It was nutty.

- When news of Nintendo thinking about a new system was starting to form I decided to move into the business of thinking about that system... I was bored of 64 Source by then anyway. So right around the same time Billy was starting up Planet N2000 I was starting up OperatioN2000. I had more of a skeleton crew on OpN2k since it was all speculative but had much more fun trying to sift through the news and rumors as well as post things like "Dream Games" where we'd think like designers. Much more fun.

- My wife and I knew we were having a baby in a few months so I decided I couldn't be running sites anymore so we shuttered up OpN2k. Since Billy was running his own site and I wanted our content to live on (well, and to still have a platform for my blather when I felt like it) I decided to help him fold our old content into Planet N2000.

- At some point after my first daughter was born I took a graduate class on Cold Fusion and decided I wanted to kick around a project to help me learn both Cold Fusion and SQL server better. This mini-project ended up being the original Planet GameCube core that we launched around a year after I began coding. It was ugly, horrible code but it worked well enough to provide for a back-end and to spare the staff from having to hand-code HTML.

- When Billy noted that people have lost jobs over the site he wasn't kidding. Over the time I'd taught myself Cold Fusion and SQL I'd been working a real full-time job as well where I was bored to tears. When I showed them the scale of the project I'd undertaken to help them understand I could do more than they were giving me it was instead a major part of their rationale in firing me for a conflict of interest.

- For another story of how the site can do funny things to change your life (hopefully most of the time for the better) take a look at me. About 3 months later I got a new job working as a Junior level Cold Fusion programmer for a small company. I'd leveraged my experience with the site into a new opportunity to replace my old job that I really didn't like... that hiring happened 8 years ago this month. Now I'm the Directory of Strategic Projects at the same company. So I'd say that even though my ride hasn't been on the path of most with writing or being involved in some capacity with the industry I'm not complaining. :)

- Of course now with that change and my family I haven't really contributed since... though now I'm back to shake things up when possible since the Wii has made a 'family opinion' something more of value. Hope to have a new blog up sometime in the next week or two on the casual market.

Final sad fact: For all of the connections I'd managed to make over the years and people I'd managed to piss off I have never really been able to put together a chance to capitalize on it. The first E3 I could have attended was during my Honeymoon, and on subsequent years any number of problems have kept it from being realistic for me, the family guy, on the east coast.

Anyway, for myself I wanted to thank all of the people who have kept this independent site legacy alive. Thanks to all of the staff over the years of all of these sites, hell or even other ones on the scene out there for your time, care, and commitment. Thank you as well to the readers. My god there are too many outlets for information out there anymore... thank you for making this one of them. Truly, in this age that is as high a compliment as one can pay. Hope you all enjoyed this bit of chronology and factoids many people may not have known. :)
Justin Nation
Resident Dinosaur, Occasional Contributor, Daddy
MAMEiac Gaming
Administrator, The Nintendo Switch Fan Community (Facebook Group)
"People are stupid"

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2009, 07:17:53 PM »
I found the site by serendipity. Gamespy used to have dedicated sites for various PC games (planetQuake, planetHitman, etc) I typed in planetgamecube.com and was shocked and dismayed that it wasn't a Gamespy sight. Years later, I'm still ticked off about it.
This is precisely how I found the site too.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline MikeHrusecky

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2009, 08:32:49 PM »
You are all noobs compared to the mighty power of Scott McCall and I. :)

N64HQ FTW.

But seriously, I'm so very proud of the many people we've met that started there and the legacy that was to follow them. Billy, Justin, and others.

We weep happy tears. Or I do. Heck knows what Scott thinks. I assume something good.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2009, 09:12:31 PM by MikeHrusecky »

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2009, 09:09:16 PM »
holy **** Hrusecky lives!  Dude, last I heard, you disappeared from the face of the earth.  Something to do with AOL.  So you know what was a long time ago.

I think a ton of people found PGC through the Gamespy thing.  And as you'll hear on the next episode of Radio Free Nintendo, that wasn't exactly "serendipity"... Billy got the name for Planet N2000 from his love of Planet Quake, and then Ed Shih sniped the Planet GameCube domain within seconds of the console's announcement at Spaceworld 2000.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2009, 09:21:12 PM »
That was pretty smooth to grab the domain. Good for him.
My Game Collection

Offline MikeHrusecky

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2009, 09:40:54 PM »
Hey Jonny, I remember all too well the chaos of that time period. A perfect storm of E3, EA, AOL, family, and other issues collapsing onto my corpse, capped off by a sudden layoff. They had to freeze me for the last 6 years until they found the cure for spontaneous cerebral cortex combustion. What would I do without the fine folks at Prescott Pharmaceuticals?

In 1996, we didn't have the content management systems you whippersnappers use today. We did our HTML by hand, literally, not even with an HTML editor, and we liked it!

SO many memories since the early web years of 1996. The HQ, PN2K, PGC, now NWR... fun times! Ten more years!
« Last Edit: March 07, 2009, 09:51:52 PM by MikeHrusecky »

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2009, 09:45:57 PM »
Hey Jonny, I remember all too well the chaos of that time period. A perfect storm of E3, EA, AOL, family, and other issues collapsing onto my corpse, capped off by a sudden layoff. They had to freeze me for the last 6 years until they found the cure for spontaneous cerebral cortex combustion. What would I do without the fine folks at Prescott Pharmaceuticals?

In any event, SO many memories since the early web years of 1996. The HQ, PN2K, PGC, now NWR... fun times! Ten more years!

In ten years our kids could be joining the forums. Now that would be frightening.
My Game Collection

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 07, 2009, 10:56:01 PM »
In another ten years it wouldn't surprise me if I will be dead.

http://www.planetgamecube.com/media/0/1/12.jpg
I remember that picture, it is simply incredible. I stared at it for an hour studying its attention to detail. I love the Smash tournament taking place on the telly, where the Virtual Boy is using Pichu... and has already been eliminated. That's probably why the Virtual Boy person is slumped over on the table clutching a beer.

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #43 on: March 07, 2009, 11:09:34 PM »
In another ten years it wouldn't surprise me if I will be dead.

http://www.planetgamecube.com/media/0/1/12.jpg
I remember that picture, it is simply incredible. I stared at it for an hour studying its attention to detail. I love the Smash tournament taking place on the telly, where the Virtual Boy is using Pichu... and has already been eliminated. That's probably why the Virtual Boy person is slumped over on the table clutching a beer.

For the record I did not make this, Smash_Brother did. And yes the attention to detail is astounding.

The VB is slumping on the table for many reasons...
1. Its the worst selling Nintendo product ever
2. Its also one of the most maligned ever
3. He's playing as Pichu because Pichu is a gimped character (he hurts himself as he does his attacks), and the VB was very gimped.

Also notice how the NES is playing as Link while wearing a Link shirt, and the DS has a face painted on with Pictochat.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 08, 2009, 12:57:03 AM »
Two astounding things in this thread:

1) That birthday picture
2) HRUSECKY

I don't even know Mike, but as far as I knew he wasn't real.  He was like Sasquatch, or the Boogeyman, you know, something you tell your kids about at night to scare them.
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 08, 2009, 03:10:46 AM »
Been visiting since OPN2000. Time flies.
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 08, 2009, 04:12:34 AM »
i almost became the graphic artist at 16, when i was talking to Billy online my mom was giving me a bunch of crap about giving out my name and address. Its a good thing i didn't because there has obviously been more competent graphic designers here.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Berto2K

• This could be you, at E3.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 08, 2009, 04:17:36 AM »
Man...10 years... I been visiting since right before the name change to Planet GameCube. And thanks to this forum, it has helped to get me where I am at another site, also working free of charge.

For those that think Pro started the "Media Blitz" threads...think again you youngsters. I started those threads back back in 2003 when Nintendo was all of a sudden throwing out all kinda of tv commercials and I was able to capture them on my computer through my tv tuner. My school had given each student their own web space which I used to host a few videos at a time. They would get rotated out when I got new videos.

Well someone found the link and send it in to what was then called GameCube Advanced. They gave the credit to that person. I contacted them and had it corrected so that I was given credit for it. I posted more on here, and they asked for more there. So thats when they brought me on there to run a page with all the Nintendo related commercials I could find. From there I evolved into the goto guy for video work from filming, editing, and posting online.

Thanks to the site with the forums, I got noticed by another site, where I've been ever since as a friendly competitor to NWR. I've had the fortune to meetup with a few of the staff from here over the years while at E3, GDC, and other events. I've met: Billy, Deg, Steven Rodriguez, TYP, Rick, Jonny, Bloodworth, and prob a few more that I don't remember. I should be going to E3 again this year finally so hope to see you guys there again. Here's to another 10 years!
« Last Edit: March 08, 2009, 05:24:05 AM by Berto2K »
Pietriots, we roll out to get the lol out.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 08, 2009, 05:09:17 AM »
speaking of commercials, i remember i sent Berto through the mail a stack of cds. A few had commercials, however the amount of content would be minimal now with Youtube and all. Back in the early days I saved about every trailer, every screenshot, and every rare commercial i could get a hold of, now they're available everywhere. I think I sent him something else to fill the rest of the box, but neither of us remember what that is.

edit: i sent him Game Over with the CDs...they had them ridiculously cheap at EB games, so i got him and a few other friends one.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Berto2K

• This could be you, at E3.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 08, 2009, 05:23:34 AM »
speaking of commercials, i remember i sent Berto through the mail a stack of cds. A few had commercials, however the amount of content would be minimal now with Youtube and all. Back in the early days I saved about every trailer, every screenshot, and every rare commercial i could get a hold of, now they're available everywhere. I think I sent him something else to fill the rest of the box, but neither of us remember what that is.

edit: i sent him Game Over with the CDs...they had them ridiculously cheap at EB games, so i got him and a few other friends one.
Oh **** thats right! I still have those cds and the book! Man, I should go dig those out and see whats on em again.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2009, 05:25:25 AM by Berto2K »
Pietriots, we roll out to get the lol out.