Author Topic: No Local Multiplayer in The Conduit; Possibility for Sequel  (Read 23287 times)

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
No Local Multiplayer in The Conduit; Possibility for Sequel
« on: February 07, 2009, 09:48:31 PM »
In addition to the confirmation of no split-screen multiplayer, the game's release date is set, and High Voltage's Animales de la Muerte is still in the works.
 http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/newsArt.cfm?artid=17701

Much to many people's chagrin, there won't be any local multiplayer in Sega and High Voltage Software's The Conduit when it hits stores on June 9. Eric Nofsinger, Chief Creative Officer at High Voltage Software, resolved earlier conflicting reports in speaking to Nintendo World Report at NYCC 2009.  He also heavily hinted that split-screen multiplayer could be implemented in a potential sequel. Apparently, the developers tried to get LAN multiplayer running, but Nintendo would not allow it.    

When asked about High Voltage's long-ago-announced title, Animales de la Muerte, Nofsinger confirmed that it is still alive but currently on hold. Due to the focus on comedy and its accompanying large quantity of audio, Animales de la Muerte would not fit into the WiiWare size limits and the game is instead planned for a disc release if and when it comes out.

Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
Re: No Local Multiplayer in The Conduit; Possibility for Sequel
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2009, 10:02:30 PM »
I guess this shouldn't be a surprise considering how far they're pushing the hardware in single player.  It sucks that Nintendo retains still so much control over their hardware.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2009, 11:04:50 PM »
What is up with Nintendo and the lack of LAN play? They themselves showed Mario Strikers Charged and Battalion Wars 2 using LAN play when they where unveiled a few years ago at the Leipzig Games Convention, only to later remove this feature. And they are still not allowing third parties to use it.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2009, 11:17:15 PM »
LAN is the new DVD
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2009, 11:18:13 PM »
Just guessing - Nintendo wants to force people to use WiFi Connection so they can keep track of everything?  With LAN, there's always a chance someone can rig something up (a la Warp Pipe) to circumvent the need for WiFi Connection to play online (and thus the need for Friend Codes?)
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2009, 11:36:04 PM »
I already figured it wouldn't so this announcement is of no surprise to me. Oh well, I'm going to wait for this to hit the bargain bin/cheap used price anyway... because I'm a cheapskate. :)

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2009, 11:44:47 PM »
Split-screen multiplayer has to be one of the dumbest things ever in a FPS. On the other hand, it is kind of ridiculous that there won't be any LAN play. That goes for other games as well, like Mario Kart. The Wii has BUILT IN wireless. It's a no brainer, really.
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline Spinnzilla

• Hippie Kaiju
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2009, 11:47:41 PM »
June = NWR's wifi Conduit month.

can't wait for June.  Too bad I'll be out of town around June 9th.
Who wants heroine brownies?

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2009, 12:11:00 AM »
Split-screen multiplayer has to be one of the dumbest things ever in a FPS.
Why? With online-only, if you had three friends who wanted to play the game, each one of them would have to own the system and the game, then lug their TVs over to your place so you can all play together. Plus, allowing more than one player per system to play online makes it easier for matches to contain a large number of players.

It isn't like having the option of local/split-screen multiplayer detracts from the game so I don't what's wrong with it. If it isn't your thing then simply don't use it.

Offline Spinnzilla

• Hippie Kaiju
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2009, 12:21:14 AM »
Voice chat really helps with the friends not being there-ness.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2009, 12:55:29 AM »
True, and even if there's no voice chat you could still use cellphones and whatnot to communicate. Even so, that isn't the same as gathering everyone together for a game; people need to see my victory dances if by some slim chance I happen to win. That also doesn't eliminate the requirement of every player having the system, game, and possibly the voice chat accessory (in this case I guess that would be Wii Speak?).

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2009, 01:06:52 AM »
I wonder if a third party could make a LAN solution.
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2009, 02:41:45 AM »
Ugh, online has almost killed multiplayer for me. I honestly feel like local and LAN play are way more fun, and it actually seemed easier to get together with people back before all the big games were online too. I'll have to see if Eric's willing to say anything more the next time I talk to him.
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2009, 02:51:54 AM »
After talking to various people from High Voltage that were at the Con, I've got a lot more hope in the online multiplayer...but damn it I want split-screen! I like playing with my friends in person!

I'm happy that the one question I really wanted answered got an answer. Albeit it wasn't the one I wanted, I feel very confident that if split-screen could've been done right now, it'd be done. I like High Voltage.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2009, 03:25:07 AM »
Split-screen multiplayer has to be one of the dumbest things ever in a FPS.
Why? With online-only, if you had three friends who wanted to play the game, each one of them would have to own the system and the game, then lug their TVs over to your place so you can all play together. Plus, allowing more than one player per system to play online makes it easier for matches to contain a large number of players.

It isn't like having the option of local/split-screen multiplayer detracts from the game so I don't what's wrong with it. If it isn't your thing then simply don't use it.

I agree, I think it is completely ridiculous to say that split screen is the dumbest thing in a FPS. I'm not sure about Morari, but I had a blast with Goldeneye and also Perfect Dark back when they were out. Split screen added a different experience since you could see where everyone is at and plan according to that. It created a different kind of environment.

No split screen is disappointing but really, can we be angry at High Voltage? They are pulling off stuff that no other company has done yet on Wii, and have done their best to add everything they could.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2009, 04:17:56 AM »
I loved split in Goldeneye.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2009, 06:15:27 AM »
Sales cut in half right there. Many Wiis are used with multiple local players and on shared TVs, The Conduit is thus not playable when multiple people want to use the Wii. Also a lot of "cross pollination" of game libraries happens when someone plays a game at someone else's place and likes it enough to buy it, that possibility is lost for TC. One theory says that this kind of arcade test at other people's houses is what made the Wii more successful in the US than other territories.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2009, 08:38:38 AM »
Ugh, online has almost killed multiplayer for me. I honestly feel like local and LAN play are way more fun, and it actually seemed easier to get together with people back before all the big games were online too. I'll have to see if Eric's willing to say anything more the next time I talk to him.

I have to agree with this statement.  I understand that for FPS online is technically better than local, but it just isn't as fun. 

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2009, 08:51:38 AM »
This has basically killed any chance of me buying this game.
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline Spinnzilla

• Hippie Kaiju
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2009, 10:40:45 AM »
We always find things to nag about. :P

Offline Nemo

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
    • Game Sprite Archives
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2009, 11:25:59 AM »
If the game is still fun, I'll still buy it.
-the Game Sprite Archives-
http://www.gsarchives.net

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2009, 11:28:02 AM »
We always find things to nag about. :P

People have been saying they want that for months already. HVS doesn't seem to care. Okay, online-only multiplayer is apparently standard on the HD consoles but it still sucks.

Offline NovaQ

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
    • dudeldopp
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2009, 11:33:10 AM »
Nuts.

Sure, split-screen cramps your visual field and lets the other players "cheat" by glancing at your screen to find your exact position. But like others have been saying, it's a lot more fun to play with friends in the same room. (My favorite FPS memories come from muiltiplayer GoldenEye and PD.) It's too bad that there will only be online, but it sounds like HVS has done all they can or are willing to do at this point. Plus, it's not like most people on these forums will have a hard time finding others to play with.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2009, 11:35:00 AM by NovaQ »
I like to do drawings.
Blaarg
Wii: 7332 2646 9948 9927

Hello new job, goodbye life...

Offline AV

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2009, 12:45:18 PM »
Nuts.

Sure, split-screen cramps your visual field and lets the other players "cheat" by glancing at your screen to find your exact position. But like others have been saying, it's a lot more fun to play with friends in the same room. (My favorite FPS memories come from muiltiplayer GoldenEye and PD.)

yeah that cheating is strategy and makes it very unique experience. My friends still play mk64 on  Virtual Console splitscreen in the block fort. It's fun because we see each other coming and drive away.

Online has its place I won't deny that, but why does have to take over ?

Call of Duty 4 is tons of fun local splitscreen multiplayer with friends.

I understand graphics will be reduced, but I don't care its fun playing FPS with real life friends. This is crazy why not include Both? I don't care about LAN, its stupid nintendo didn't allow it but I honestly don't care since its such a rare thing.

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2009, 05:42:39 PM »
Without local split screen I highly doubt I'll buy this game anywhere near launch time. I'll probably check it out when it hits about $30.
Check out PixlBit!