Author Topic: A New Year, A New Direction  (Read 21540 times)

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
Re: A New Year, A New Direction
« Reply #50 on: January 21, 2009, 01:55:19 AM »
Are there any plans for changing the visual approach to the site?

Soon.  :-D
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #51 on: January 21, 2009, 03:02:56 AM »
Yeah, soon. Sure.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 21, 2009, 03:37:09 AM »
True. Just imagine what Nintendo must think of a card game like Uno. It's got 108 cards! There's different numbers, colours, and even wild cards! Now that's hardcore!
Yep, that's the kind of trolling I'd expect.
I didn't realize anyone expected anything from me.
That was my attempt at humour, I was just rolling with the poasts. It wasn't my intention to annoy.

KDR is being his grumpy old self. Don't mind him.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 21, 2009, 02:13:38 PM »
Are there any plans for changing the visual approach to the site?

Soon.  :-D

I've heard that before!
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 21, 2009, 09:30:34 PM »
To paraphrase Iwata-san:

"We are always working on new visual approaches to the site."
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #55 on: January 21, 2009, 10:43:15 PM »
True. Just imagine what Nintendo must think of a card game like Uno. It's got 108 cards! There's different numbers, colours, and even wild cards! Now that's hardcore!

Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #56 on: January 22, 2009, 01:35:01 AM »
I applaud your Uno skills, Wario-bok.
::Michael "TYP" Cole
::Associate Editor
Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 22, 2009, 01:37:07 AM »
Awesome sauce. I'm gonna have to find somewhere to buy that.
Even 108 cards wouldn't be enough to have each one be a different Nintendo character.

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 22, 2009, 08:07:24 PM »
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Offline D_Average

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 24, 2009, 06:56:13 PM »
Yo Lindy, any chance you guys will incorporate some video reviews now?  As much as I like the written review, there's somthing to be said for a finely put together statement with this newer medium.  Plus, it makes it easier to spot aWesome graPhiX.     ;D
Don't hate me, hate the money I see, clothes that I buy
Ice that I wear, clothes that I try....

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 24, 2009, 08:48:19 PM »
Video reviews are a great idea, but try to make them entertaining. Something like Angry Videogame Nerd, only without all the swears.

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #61 on: January 24, 2009, 11:16:42 PM »
Video reviews are a great idea, but try to make them entertaining. Something like Angry Videogame Nerd, only without all the swears.

Sorry, but no. There are already too many "funny reviewers" online, X-Play being the worst, Yahtzee being the best (though I disagree with him heavily on occasion). They should focus on creating a fresh show, not trying to imitate everyone else.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 25, 2009, 12:03:05 AM »
I was just giving an example of an entertaining reviewer (I've actually never heard of the two that you mentioned :-\), I wasn't implying they should use that exact same style especially if they can think of something more unique. Whatever they come up with, I just hope it isn't some dude sitting at a desk reciting what would otherwise be a written review. Take advantage of that medium in some way to make the review entertaining, but still more informative than video reviewers like AVGN.

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 25, 2009, 12:42:21 AM »
We've actually thrown around the idea of video reviews.  I think it would work for certain games, ones that would lend themselves to more than what amounts to a video walk-through.  We have other things to take care of on the reviews side of things right now, but we're definitely considering it where we feel it would be entertaining and different.
Jon Lindemann

My Game Backlog

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 25, 2009, 03:30:47 AM »
We've actually thrown around the idea of video reviews.  I think it would work for certain games, ones that would lend themselves to more than what amounts to a video walk-through.  We have other things to take care of on the reviews side of things right now, but we're definitely considering it where we feel it would be entertaining and different.

Please have your first video review be Kairon playing We Cheer.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #65 on: January 25, 2009, 04:13:17 AM »

Please have your first video review be Kairon playing We Cheer.
I almost forgot about that.Thanks GP.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 25, 2009, 05:42:39 AM »
Congrats Lindy. Yeah it's crazy how quickly things can change. Will be great to see your new ideas come to life.
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 26, 2009, 02:43:16 PM »

Have you considered doing podcast reviews?  It would require less equipment and knowledge than video reviews, and would add to your growing Nintendo podcast empire.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #68 on: January 26, 2009, 04:21:49 PM »
Should we have Stephen Hawking read our written reviews?
Aaron Kaluszka

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 27, 2009, 05:28:56 AM »
Have you considered doing podcast reviews?  It would require less equipment and knowledge than video reviews, and would add to your growing Nintendo podcast empire.

DO NOT WANT.

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #70 on: January 27, 2009, 07:24:21 AM »

I threw around the idea with Lindy (podcast reviews) a while back. I didn't want to replace the text review, only supplement it. I still might do it one of these days, maybe for one of my upcoming reviews...
« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 09:21:46 AM by Mr. Jack »
Check out PixlBit!

Offline NWR_DrewMG

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 27, 2009, 09:42:44 AM »
If you're going to do podcast reviews, make them enhanced AAC podcasts so we can get screenshots along with the audio.
Your conversational partner has disconnected.

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 27, 2009, 11:44:59 AM »
Like Nick, I might test this out. I wouldn't want to do it by my lonesome though.
Maybe with a bigger release when multiple people would be playing it, or have someone who hasn't played it ask the reviewer about the game.

I still want to do my Mother 3 podcast, but college is a fickle beast. Especially when your internet doesn't really work with Skype and the friend who also played through Mother 3 is at a different college that also doesn't work with Skype.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 27, 2009, 12:01:21 PM »

Sorry, but no. There are already too many "funny reviewers" online, X-Play being the worst, Yahtzee being the best (though I disagree with him heavily on occasion). They should focus on creating a fresh show, not trying to imitate everyone else.

AVGN ownz Yahtzee
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 27, 2009, 12:11:05 PM »
DO NOT WANT.

I threw around the idea with Lindy (podcast reviews) a while back. I didn't want to replace the text review, only supplement it. I still might do it one of these days, maybe for one of my upcoming reviews...

It was always my assumption that written reviews wouldn't be replaced.  I'm not advocating replacing good old fashioned text at all.