Author Topic: OoT and Master Quest Discussion  (Read 12954 times)

Offline Mike-OPN2000

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
OoT and Master Quest Discussion
« on: February 13, 2003, 04:34:18 PM »
I am curious, for those who have the game, how does it play?  I heard that there are still framerate issues, not sur how, but someone said it can get bad at times.  Also, does the high res clean the game up, or highlight the uglies?  I would really appreciate it if someone could fill me in, I cant get my disk till sunday.

Offline Gibdo Master

• JA! MEIN LEAPEN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2003, 05:47:15 PM »
Well, despite wide spread claims that the games framerate is worse than the N64 version I haven't had any problems. In fact I haven't noticed any slow down other than at the first cinema scene where Navi flies to Link's tree house. It paused for a very very brief time other wise I haven't had any problems. Of course I'm only up to Jabu Jabu so I haven't been in any areas were there are a ton of enemies at once. Also slow down has never really bothered me that much unless it is severe and frequent so I may just not be noticing it when it happens.

As far as the graphics go it's kind of a mixed bag. Because of the higher resolution detailed models look better (sharper, brighter, and smoother) but things that are less detailed like the 2D sprites used for items, bushes, and some of the scenery look worse. It's really not a big deal though. First of all unless you are a graphics freak it shouldn't bother you and the games graphics are outdated period. Besides what the better resolution pretties up out weighs what it makes ugly. As an example do you remember that little drawing that Link had at the bottom of his tree house. Well, on the N64 version it was kind of hard to make out what it was supposed to be but now you can easily tell what it is even from a distance (I mean like a few feet away since in the N64 version you had to be right up against it in first person view to tell what it was).

As far as the controls go I was really worried when I first started playing the game. I was having a real hard time controlling Link but this was probably due more so than anything to the fact I hadn't played the game in like two years. Anyway by the time I got done with the Deku Tree dungeon I was already getting used to them. It's also very nice getting to play the game on the GameCube controller. Some people feel that the N64 is superior to the GameCube controller but I don't agree. For one thing it's more comfortable and natural to hold and it's nicer controlling Link with a analog stick that has more tension,  is shorter, fatter, and has rubber on it.

I was also worried about using the C-stick instead of buttons but it's just as easy if not easier than the C-buttons on the N64 controller. Although you can use the Z trigger, Y, and X button instead of the C-stick it's more comfortable using the C-stick. Also one thing that is neat about the using the C-stick with the slingshot and bow & arrow is when you set them to C-down and push down on the C-stick to fire the weapon in first person it's like you are pulling back on the string. Well sorta.  
Hey, kid! I’m a computer! Stop all the downloadin’! Help computer!

Offline ShanD

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2003, 08:58:32 AM »
I've just played my SHINY NEW BONUS DISK for 30 minutes, pretty much just reliving the glory of OOT **pets golden copies of OOT and MM**. I haven't noted any slowdown. The load for the start screen isnt as bad as people try and make it seem. It's barely there. The save time is pretty long though, so you won't find yourself saving quite as often as in OOT. Master Quest is fun, and the new movies are pretty cool. The controls are fine, and I haven't noted really any problem yet. The C-Stick works just as good as the C-Buttons ever did. The only problem I had for a little while was wanting to use C-Up for an item, when its C-Down. It's all together a great game, and you CANNOT PASS THIS UP when it is FREE!
hay guyzz wuts goin on in dis sig

Offline D_Man

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2003, 09:07:52 AM »
mmmm....Zelda Bonus Disc.....

NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! I'm grounded and can't play it!!!!!

DARN YOU, INTERIM REPORT!
"I want to BE Miss America"
"I've had a bysectamine, and I've had it reversed"
"You BASTARD!"

-Words of Wisdom from our good friend, Dr. Phil.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2003, 09:48:24 AM »
the framerates flawless untill theres a pan shot...which are only in cinemas....i think the change in resolution has made camera panning a little more chinky...you wouldnt havre noticed it on the n64 version because everythign is jso aggy and blury. Still the upgrade are minimal but it still looks great...it seriously looks better then soem dreamcast games.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2003, 10:13:26 AM »
Framerate drops and slowdown are two different things. Sometimes they occur simultaneously, but framerate drops do happen at times when there is no slowdown.  You'll basically just notice that there are frames skipped from an animation or camera pan. So, let's say someone moves their arm and it suddenly goes from down by their side to up by their chest.  Chances are the framerate dropped for some reason. It's easier to spot this in games that normally run at 60 frames per second because the animation normally looks very smooth.

I haven't noticed any framerate drops playing Master Quest (I jumped straight to it since the story's the same.), but after playing Wind Waker, it's pretty easy to see that OoT is running at a significantly lower framerate and it took me a while to readjust.
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline theaveng

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2003, 01:05:20 PM »
N64 = 320x200.  GC = 640x400.  So the GameCube is pushing four times as many pixels, so it makes sense there'd be some slowdown during rapid panning scenes.

Offline theaveng

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2003, 01:29:23 PM »
Does the bonus disc include a preview for Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles?

Offline Frostie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2003, 01:43:30 PM »
SUNDAY SUNday Sunday
BE THERE BE There Be There

When my local EB finally releases my zelda disc from its dungean in the back.  So close till Sunday.  Losing...grip...on....Reality.

Move along.  Nothing to see here.

Offline Mike-OPN2000

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2003, 02:01:10 PM »
I cant understand why their would be anyslowdown, its a N64 game in high res, Cube shouldnt have any trouble doing that at 60fps.  Either way, its free, so I guess we cant complain to much.  Looking forward to getting my copy on Sunday or Monday.

Offline silverwings01

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2003, 04:49:16 PM »
YEAH!!!  I got my disc today (that was my v-day present, from myself....bummer)  and its great.

I don't get the whole graphical mumbo-jumbo (so i'm a simpleton).  I've only started MQ, but the colors seem brighter and sharper.  And the dungons are harder.   I'm stuck in the deku tree, for crying outloud! (will not think about water temple.....scary.....)

and its going to snow, like, 20 inches!  Gotta love life right now!

Offline Chris150

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2003, 06:08:54 PM »
I checked my local Software ETC and they're teasing me by not letting me get the disk till sunday....Must...have....Zelda.........
AC Info:
Town: PsiWater
Name: Chris(space before the C)

Offline Lao-tzu

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2003, 08:50:17 PM »
I asked before.. but I can't find my post or the responces (since they would be together)

So my questions this:

I live in Canada..

I haven't pre-ordered yet..

I want the bonus disk..

Can I get it?  How?

(Because when talked to my local EB they told me that two weeks ago was some ut off time.. but is that only for when they ship it too you?  Beats me, anyway...)
Name: Aaron
Town: Hobbiton

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2003, 09:14:09 PM »
I continue to wonder why no one has ever said this, but how many memory blocks does OOT/Master Quest take up?

Offline VariantX

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2003, 09:17:01 PM »
4x the pixels maybe but that dosent mean much when your using low res low detail 16-bit color textures with relatively low polygon models and enviroments.  Im not being nit picky or anything but I know it wuld have been quite possible to lock the frame rate at either 24 or 30 fps.  Theres not a point in the game at all where there should be any cause for it to slow down.  Running OoT at 640x480 locked at 30 fps all the time shouldnt even make the gamecube's gpu tingle let alone draw sweat.

Offline Kimchi

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2003, 10:45:47 PM »
It takes up 15 memory blocks.
AC name: Kimchi
AC town: Kakariko

Offline ShanD

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2003, 11:40:20 PM »
As a reply to a previous poster, here are the games with movies.

Wind Waker
F-Zero
Wario World
Metroid Prime
"Hot Clips" (clips of a few diff games)
Four Swords for GBA

So no Crystal Chronical movies here.
hay guyzz wuts goin on in dis sig

Offline theaveng

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2003, 03:50:08 AM »
TO THE CANADIAN: Pre-order from amazon.com or ebgames.com and you'll get the free Ocarina bonus disc
The slowdown may be caused by the emulation?  If GC is actually running a N64 emulator, then it would explain the slowdown in parts of the game.  A Software N64 obviously won't run as fast as a Hardware N64.

Another possibility is that slowdown is caused by disc accesses.  The SuperNintendo Final Fantasies running on the PS1 have a huge slowdown when pulling graphics off the CD.  Especially during summonings (the screen freezes momentarily).  It's possible that the Zelda64 game used lots of direct cartridge reads... and now it has to read that info from a disc... that would really slow things down.
WHY ARE PEOPLE BUYING THE BONUS DISC OFF EBAY?  They are spending around $30 for a game that I got for free.  (ponder)  I don't get it.  Why would anyone want to buy a free game?  Makes no sense.

Offline Gibdo Master

• JA! MEIN LEAPEN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2003, 10:04:34 AM »

Originally posted by: theaveng Another possibility is that slowdown is caused by disc accesses.  The SuperNintendo Final Fantasies running on the PS1 have a huge slowdown when pulling graphics off the CD.  Especially during summonings (the screen freezes momentarily).  It's possible that the Zelda64 game used lots of direct cartridge reads... and now it has to read that info from a disc... that would really slow things down.

I definitely agree that that's probably the problem. I have thought of that myself. I think for the most part this game was a quick port that probably didn't have a ton of work put into it. They probably just took the cartridge version and plopped it down onto the disk. At most they probably tweaked the controls for the GC controller but that's probably it. If I'm not mistaken isn't the higher resolution just a result of it running on the GameCube?

I however doubt the game is running on an emulator. If that were the case wouldn't it play and look exactly like the N64 version? I'm taking that from the fact that the Sonic Mega Collection games run on an emulator and therefore looks and plays just like the original games.
Hey, kid! I’m a computer! Stop all the downloadin’! Help computer!

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2003, 06:38:32 AM »

I definitely agree that that's probably the problem. I have thought of that myself. I think for the most part this game was a quick port that probably didn't have a ton of work put into it. They probably just took the cartridge version and plopped it down onto the disk. At most they probably tweaked the controls for the GC controller but that's probably it. If I'm not mistaken isn't the higher resolution just a result of it running on the GameCube?

I however doubt the game is running on an emulator. If that were the case wouldn't it play and look exactly like the N64 version? I'm taking that from the fact that the Sonic Mega Collection games run on an emulator and therefore looks and plays just like the original games.

The game IS being emulated.  There is basically a "ROM" file from the cartridge on the disc, and the emulator calls it up.  The emulator is what has been tweaked to use the GameCube controls, not the game itself.
Zelda does "play and look" like it's N64 counterpart, with the exception of the few things in the emulator tweaked for the GameCube setup.  Thus, the load times and odd save screens.
:: Rob "Rick Powers" Stevens
:: Senior Editor Emeritus
:: Personal Blog
:: Wii Number: 7294 0910 3012 6153

Offline blkdog7

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2003, 09:18:39 AM »
However the game is being translated to the Cube, it is an excellent port. I have no framerate issues at all and I just plain love it! I am soooo into playing this again, it's a blast!  
Hey, check out my band! http://www.themeshes.com

Offline Mingesium

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2003, 09:47:51 AM »

The game IS being emulated. There is basically a "ROM" file from the cartridge on the disc, and the emulator calls it up. The emulator is what has been tweaked to use the GameCube controls, not the game itself.

Since it is being emulated, it shouldn't be hard to bring over other n64 games. After announcing having pre-orders of 250,000 before it even started, I hope that Nintendo sees that it is a good idea and will include F-Zero X and expansion disk with F-zero and Mario Kart 64 with Mario Kart.

Offline Starman

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2003, 10:15:59 AM »
Hi all,
I got the OOT/MQ disc too and I'm having a lot of fun with it. However, I must be getting old or somethng because I can't figure out how to get through Dodongo's Cavern. I'm in the "lobby" (entrance) and I've used the bomb to desroy all the doors except for this one on the right side closest to the entrance. Every time I pick up a bomb to blow the door open, it explodes too soon. It's been 5 years since I played this and I know it was different, but this is really starting to annoy me. Can anyone help? Thanks.

Mike

Offline theaveng

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2003, 10:57:55 AM »
*IF* the GameCube is running a N64, that's an impressive accomplishment.  Emulating a ~90 MHz N64 on only 400 MHz is not easy.  I tried to run an N64 emulator on my 400 MHz Pentium, and it fell flat on its face.  Can you say 2 frames per second???  I don't know how Nintendo could get Zeldacarina running with an emulator.

TO THE PERSON WHO SAID THE GAME IS EMULATED: How do you know?  Where did you get this info?

Offline Mike-OPN2000

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2003, 04:32:08 PM »
Thats true, if OoT had actually been ported to Cube, like RE2 and RE3 were, then it would run the game a 60fps in high res and never even come close to slowing down, but with an emulator, you basically running one peice of software, in order to run another, and good emulators can take a chunk of processing power.  Oh well, from the way it sounds, its not a big problem at all.