Author Topic: Wario World is looking great  (Read 12326 times)

Offline Chrono

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Wario World is looking great
« on: February 13, 2003, 10:28:22 AM »
I watched the demo of Wario World on the Zelda: OoT/MQ bonus disc last night, and found myself highly anticipating this title. I've never played the GB Wario Land games, but have heard they are spectacular. After seeing that preview (the first one I've seen, since so far I hadn't been interested in this game), I believe that WW will be what the first Mario GC game should have been: Extremly fun platforming. While SMS was a GOOD game, I didn't find it to be GREAT, and thought that it was often much more fustrating than fun. WW looks to have light game play with enemies that you can laugh at (along with Wario's complaints) while you kill em. Hopefully it'll be as fun as it looks (and hopefully Mario 128 will be as fun as Mario 64 was).

« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2003, 12:24:53 PM »
This isnt really news.... You see because Nintendo has never made a bad game. So I'd say, uh, yeah of course it'll be good--I have no doubts.
"Just a little gift from your friendly nieghborhood evil doer." - Me.

~ If you like serious, good quality Zelda rpgs, AIM HeroPiccolo and I'll give you a link. ~

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2003, 12:26:50 PM »
hmmmm i need to read...[edit]....I do hope Treasure works out...well, everything...since from what I saw last year, it needed lots of work  
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline MarioFoxZelda

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2003, 12:50:56 PM »
Looks good and if it follows the Mario formula of platforming goodness then I sure will get it.
what

Offline rpglover

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2003, 01:38:05 PM »
is treasure really working on this game with nintendo
i thought that news was wrong
yeah but i did see the movie on my zelda disk
it looks good and i like the way the fighting is comming along
hopefully this will become a surprise sleeper hit
i call the big one bitey.

Offline JSR

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2003, 03:17:39 PM »
The only thing I don’t like is that Wario inhales coins. That seems a little weird. Besides that, Wario World looks great!
It's Random and It's Nintendo - Random Nintendo

Offline Parabellum

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2003, 04:56:11 PM »
I'm really looking forward to Wario World. I'm sure it'll be a great game. I just wonder what the story line is going to be like.

Offline Uglydot

• Jesus
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2003, 06:31:59 PM »
I have been eagerly awaiting this game.  While I do love the Mario formula, I am relying on this to mix things up a bit in the usual platforming world.  I am quite confident that this game will turn out well.

Offline BlkPaladin

• Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2003, 06:45:17 PM »
I have aniticpated Wario World since it was announced last year. For some reason I just love the guy. While it is true that its based off of some Mario Components some of them are a twist of them. (Almsot a mixture of a beat-em-up and platformer.) But I can say teasure did a good job so far in producing the game. (Like there was any doubt. )
Stupidity is lost on my. Then again I'm almost always lost.

Offline NIN10D0

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2003, 09:07:20 PM »
GB Wario land games were awesome, I personally liked the first one the best.
I am looking forward to GC Wario game too.

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2003, 09:45:57 PM »

Originally posted by: JSR
The only thing I don’t like is that Wario inhales coins.

But it really clears out your digestive system.  
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2003, 01:09:13 AM »
I don’t know. I’ve seen the latest screenshots and the game sure looks like it could use a hell lot of more work, it looks just a bit better than the E3 demo and is scheduled for a release on May 26, which isn’t really that far away. I know I shouldn’t judge the game by a bunch of pics, but I really think they should put more effort on those graphics, hell they don’t even look better than Mario Sunshine’s. How does the game looks in motion?

Offline Sean

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2003, 07:22:13 AM »
Graphics matter--everyone knows that, but what's more important is how fun it is, and I have absolutely no idea how the game will play, nor does pretty much anyone else.  I love Nintendo's games, of course, but the only real reason I'm all that excited about this is because Treasure is making it.  Even a subpar game like "Stretch Panic," made by a handful of people, was fun and even inventive (graphically, at times, too).  I think if Treasure has enough time and freedom, this could turn out to the game that finally puts them in the big-time, although I certainly have my doubts, being a bit of pessimist sometimes.  (And Treasure has set a high standard for themselves--Gunstar Heroes, Guardian Heroes, Ikaruga, Bangai-O: this is Elite Company, for sure).  

I'm already seeing some Treasure-isms in the apparent full-screen onslaught of enemies, which are taken out by a few swings of a single enemy, etc.  I hope Nintendo does their best to steer Treasure in the right direction, but that they also give them creative freedom; it's the little things that Treasure adds in, little twists, that set their games far apart from mainstream fare.  It's amazing, really.  
"I think that if the devil does not exist,
and man has therefore created him,
he has created him in his own image and likeness."
from Fyodor Dostoevsky's THE BROTHERS KARAMAZOV

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2003, 09:15:30 AM »
well wario and waluigi seem to both be tengu's so eatign coins doesnt seem at all wrong beign hat their super natural beings.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Edisim

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2003, 09:58:02 AM »
What's a "tengu"?

This game looks really fun. The spinning piledriver is cool, but could use a little tweaking--I saw some footage at a kiosk at EB. I really hope this game will include simultaneous multiplayer for some serious whoop ass action. Is Waluigi in the game?

« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2003, 10:25:55 AM »
Personally, I wouldn't want to see Waluigi on Wario World, and certainly not on any other Nintendo game.  As much as I love Nintendo's characters (specially Yoshi) Waluigi is the lamest character Nintendo has ever created, and I think they were running out of ideas when they thought about creating him, back when the Psx was kicking the N64's butt. He doesn't even have a storyline or any own game like Wario, I think Nintendo should get rid of him.

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2003, 10:34:07 AM »

Originally posted by: Parabellum
I'm really looking forward to Wario World. I'm sure it'll be a great game. I just wonder what the story line is going to be like.

About that, I read on a magazine that the game takes place on a mansion owned by Wario himself, and his treasures mysteriously start turning into monsters. I just hope the game isn't about hunting monsters like Luigi's Mansion.

Offline EggyToast

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2003, 12:15:55 PM »
Apparently, the story is that he's in the top of his mansion, and some gem thing he found that he put in his basement starts corrupting the rest of his treasures and turning them into badguys.  So he has to get to the bottom of things (aka his mansion) and defeat the gem-thing, or whatever is controlling it.

At least, that's what I read.

And I hope they do something about his catchphrases.

Offline OsonCubed320

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2003, 01:12:28 PM »
Wow you guys I just made myself feel really stupid.  I just realized that the N64 had 64 bits so Mario was called Super Mario 64. The GCN has 128 bits so this mario game is called Mario 128

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2003, 04:40:34 PM »
Wario World looks great to me except while he was fighting some of thoughs emenies it looked like they werent even hurting him. If its as good as Mario Sunshine I will be very happy.  
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2003, 04:47:00 PM »
i dotn know i really like waluigi, he seems to be very evil. I loved it on mario tennis how his eyes did this evil thing whenever he won..... He is luigi's sworn enemy, apparently they were buddies soemtime the two brothers and grew up together...but something went wrong.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline JSR

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2003, 05:54:33 PM »
Have you guys seen the Box Art for Wario World? It’s over at IGN, here's a link. I find the box art eye catching, yet... disturbing.  
It's Random and It's Nintendo - Random Nintendo

« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2003, 09:37:39 PM »
I don't like the box cover. Why is Wario drooling like a psycho killer?

Offline cubist

• Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2003, 06:38:38 AM »
When I played the game at E3, it was a mixed bag for me because it there were a bunch of screens and it was the first game I saw walking from the nearby Sony section.  My friend and I gave it a go and we thought the control was solid and played alright, but all the attention seemed to be deep into the Nintendo booth with Metroid Prime and WW.  

Sean posted earlier about Treasure's...uhmmm...treasures.  I was slightly disappointed with Yuke Yuke Troublemakers.  It was given a near-perfect score by a popular gaming magazine at the time, but when I played the 2D 1/2 Treasure-developed game, I thought it was a bit monotonous.  Also, Sean you forgot to mention Sin and Punishment as one of their better offerings.  I still am bummed that the game never made its way stateside, although I hope we'll receive an emulated version on a compilation bonus CD from Nintendo...high hopes huh?

NNID: Island_Gamer

Offline Sean

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2003, 06:48:18 AM »
In response to an earlier statement: If it's as good as Super Mario Sunshine (a criteria I am in NO WAY giving this game because that would be incredibly unfair to it), I will swallow a gallon of quarters thus ending my life.

Here's hoping Treasure doesn't pull through and make a game quite as great as all that.  haha....

And Cubist, as for Yuke Yuke, I really thought it was fun, but I'll admit it was monotonous at times--certainly not one of their best games (but even an average Treasure game has some really brilliant things hidden in it).  It got pretty exciting as it went along and had, as usual, some great game ideas.  As for Sin and Punishment (wouldn't Crime and Punishment have sounded a bit cooler?--ehhh...maybe not.  But close!), I NEVER GOT TO PLAY IT!  Should I break down once and for all and order the bloody thing?  I never imported jack for the N64, so someone needs to fill me in again on what I need to do to play it on a US console--I've long since forgotten.

Now, let me get back to Ikaruga.  ;-)

As for a re-release of Sin and Punishment....dear lord.  It's too much to even think about... *weeps*
"I think that if the devil does not exist,
and man has therefore created him,
he has created him in his own image and likeness."
from Fyodor Dostoevsky's THE BROTHERS KARAMAZOV