Author Topic: Nintendo Switch Lite and Future Revisions  (Read 97436 times)

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo Switch Lite and Future Revisions
« Reply #125 on: June 13, 2021, 05:55:52 AM »
Well it's e3 four years after release... maybe we'll see something on Tuesday?
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #126 on: June 13, 2021, 12:41:02 PM »
Well, according to this already-debunked GameStop leak, maybe not?  Possibly?  Who knows.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: July 06, 2021, 09:36:40 AM »
Nintendo Switch OLED Model was announced today, and launches October 8th.

Video link here.

New features:
- 7 inch screen (up from 6.2 inches)
- OLED screen
- Wider kickstand with multiple height options
- Ethernet port in dock
- 64 GB onboard storage (up from 32 GB)
- "enhanced speakers"

The OLED model appears to have the same dimensions as the regular Switch, but is a tiny bit heavier (0.93 lbs, up from 0.88 with Joycon attached).

Price has been increased to $350. Earlier speculation suggested 4K resolution support and BlueTooth Audio, neither of which appear to be present here.

This appears to corroborate Bloomberg's reporting from earlier in the year.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: July 06, 2021, 09:41:50 AM »
It's very weird I had this feeling to check my phone in the middle of what is normally my sleep time. I'm a night owl and usually go to bed at 5 am. But I was still up, and decided to check my phone and was like Whoah!

I normally don't even use my phone either. Normally I do my netting on my computer.

I like that it has the Metroid dread color scheme.

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: July 06, 2021, 09:57:42 AM »
Worth noting it also comes in the Neon variant. The White one looks very sleek though, and indeed fitting alongside the day & date launch with Metroid Dread.

I will eat partial crow tonight, as I did not expect any major new hardware SKUs before March 2022 earliest. But I do feel somewhat vindicated in this not being a "Pro/Switch 2" revision, unlike some speculation and rumors appeared to hint at.

Be curious to see if the plan is for this to phase out the regular 2019 revision, or exist alongside it. If the regular model slowly disappears, it would effectively lead to a $50 price hike. Don't think that's the best move, as it's more expensive than the Xbox S, and the PS5 Digital sits at $399.
Then again they do have the Lite revision at a more competitive price point.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: July 06, 2021, 11:19:56 AM »
This certainly has a boost of power given it can display 1080p in handheld mode. I don't expect it to be a huge upgrade. I wonder if this version will help with slowdown in games like Zelda? Maybe a boost to games like Doom?

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #131 on: July 06, 2021, 11:54:12 AM »
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: July 06, 2021, 01:42:55 PM »
Looks like this is a 3DS XL style upgrade, or a DSLite style, both of which were revisions I skipped. Thankfully this doesn't seem to be on the DSi or New 3DS level of upgrade, which I DID splurge on. Phew!

I'd guess there's still room for an improved-hardware Switch to come out in 2022 though.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: July 06, 2021, 03:12:24 PM »
Since it's functionally the same as the current regular Switch, I think it should replace it eventually, to help lessen possible confusion by having too many models. But, only if they bring it back down to $300 when it comes time to replace it.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: July 06, 2021, 03:56:47 PM »
Since it's functionally the same as the current regular Switch, I think it should replace it eventually, to help lessen possible confusion by having too many models. But, only if they bring it back down to $300 when it comes time to replace it.

And by doing so, Nintendo will have successfully maintained the $300 price point for even longer. They must really be trying to support that price point and avoiding a "price cut" below it for as long as possible.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: July 06, 2021, 04:13:42 PM »

And by doing so, Nintendo will have successfully maintained the $300 price point for even longer. They must really be trying to support that price point and avoiding a "price cut" below it for as long as possible.

Nintendo has always profited on their hardware and unlike other game console manufacturers the vast majority of their profits are from hardware sales, not software. It makes sense that they would work to maintain the price point over slashing prices.

Hopefully we see an improvement in joycon performance as well from newer peripherals since they have been plagued by issues like drift and connection stability for years. Now is a good time to stealth release new joycons with fixes since a lot more will go out into the wild, though I'd rather it be a clear and distinct difference so it will be easier to find the new ones. But I don't see Nintendo doing that as it would be admitting the flaws were widespread and hurt their chances with the class action lawsuits they are handling.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: July 19, 2021, 02:11:25 AM »
"But I don't see Nintendo doing that as it would be admitting the flaws were widespread and hurt their chances with the class action lawsuits they are handling."

Bingo. I expect there to still be a complaint about the Joycons. They can save the fix for Nintendo's next system.