Author Topic: Linux on Gamecube??  (Read 6658 times)

Offline Shadow Link

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Linux on Gamecube??
« on: July 26, 2003, 09:25:48 PM »
Think about this.. 128 Meg SD memory cards might be able to run a really lite version of Linux.. Xbox can run Redhat 9 can GameCube run any sort of operating system?

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE: Linux on Gamecube??
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2003, 10:17:56 PM »
i doubt it, i would even go so far as saying its impossible.
im no tech wizz, but from the way the cube is built i doubt it would work, also for it to load from the memory card it would need something to tell it to read from the memory card strait away, and that doesn't happen..

Offline Rob91883

• (Bro Dude)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2003, 08:00:24 PM »
I just finished putting linux up on an Xbox, and i think it would be really hard to do it.  I  dont think a Gamecube would have enough memory on the SD card to do much else
MINKA would say," Whooo iz numba wan!!!??"

Im from California, sorry if I say dude a lot.

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2003, 08:05:31 PM »
Why?  That's all I want to know.
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline aoi tsuki

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2003, 10:17:11 AM »
People have some odd attraction to get everything with a CPU to run Linux, not unlike Microsoft's similar fixation with getting everything with a CPU to run Windows.
"Snake felt a hunger for Meryl blossom within his loins."

Offline DRJ

• View Profile
RE:Linux on Gamecube??
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2003, 12:49:53 PM »
Getting anything to run from the mem cards on start up is not likely to happen. You would have to flash the system some how which I dont even think is possible since the GCN probably loads its own software to start up before it even reads the disk.
Ralph: Hi, Principal Skinner! Hi, Super Nintendo Chalmers!

Offline Muki

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2003, 10:20:20 PM »
Actually, if someone is crazy enough, you don't really need to flash the console.

Windows 2000 is hardwired into the X-Box, so Linux runs off an abstraction layer through the original OS.
(you can also emulate Linux by emulating x86 in X-BoxWin2k using BOCHS, but that's just crazy.)

And there are Linux distributions as small as 16 megs. So the posibility is there. Unfortunately, the probability *isn't*.

An X-Box mod chip allows you to run unsigned code, as a licensed code signature is the only major thing holding the X-Box back from running anything. The GameCube, on the other hand, uses absurdly proprietary media. Just look how long it took them to release something as simple as the Freeloader! Is the Gameshark even OUT yet? So no, I don't see much homebrew happening on the GameCube, much less a Linux distro. Sony's Linux was ported by them, or at least someone they hired, and X-Box Linux has the advantage of running on an x86 processor. Not too many Mac Linux distros exist, and that's basically the starting point you'd have to use for a GameCube version.

In other words, I'm not saying it's impossible, it's just *very* improbable.

I'd also like to mention that registering for this forum is a small hassle. ^__^

Offline manunited4eva22

• Got 1337?
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2003, 06:21:27 AM »
I don't know of too many linux for macs, but I do know of many different FreeBSDs on mac.

and besides it wouldn't be too terribly hard to pull off. OSX use GCC compiler, so do some distros of linux, so if you could recompile the osx code (probablly would have to use darwin, but oh well) you could create a linux distro.

As for the gamecube doing it, hmm, I could maybe see it being pulled off. the only problem is that you would really have to know the ins and outs of the gamecube architecture to be able to figure out how to get a boot rom into it. If you could get that far it is a lot easier forcing a linux bootloader in there.

Offline BigJim

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2003, 11:20:19 PM »
Getting the Cube to boot to the memory card would be quite the trick... doubt it'd ever happen. Memory cards are slow as hell, so even if they could, it wouldn't be all that practical.
"wow."

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2003, 04:32:36 AM »
The binaries and boot sector should be on a disk while all dynamic content needs to be on the memcard. The Kernel could be considered static, as the Gamecube doesn't vary from device to device and most likely you won't ever need a different driver config. If you do, you could still mirror the Kernel on the card and modify it there.
On the other hand, one could just as well write a completely new OS geared towards GC (as the GC architecture isn't x86 based, you need to recompile the binaries and alter the Kernel to work on the GC hardware) with probably less functionality than Linux. After all, Linux was designed for servers, which do a lot of things the GC won't. I guess an OS with limited functionality wouldn't take that long to write and you don't need to pack in two versions of Vi, three emacs' and seven GUI based editors, you could leave it at one text editor. Of course, that would mean you'd need to convince N to let you make an official OS..

The boot code injection for Linux could happen via that PSO exploit...

Offline DRJ

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2003, 07:59:36 AM »
What could you do with Linux on the cube if it did work? Without a hard drive you wouldnt be able to add any software anyways.
Ralph: Hi, Principal Skinner! Hi, Super Nintendo Chalmers!

Offline Fammy2000

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2003, 09:39:11 AM »
The Dreamcast as a Linux distro.

http://www.m17n.org/linux-sh/dreamcast/distribution

Why? I don't know. Because you can. That's what makes most nerds tick.

Think of the sheer nerd factor of running a webserver off a Gamecube.
My sig beat up your honor roll sig.

Offline phreak97

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2003, 04:48:41 AM »
hmm.. i dunno if it could help, but someone has found a way of burning mini dvd discs as gamecube format and making them boot, i dont have a link atm, but iv seen the site and it isnt a hoax, im not sure exactly how it works eather.. i dont thing gcn discs are burnt like a normal dvd.
also, it wouldnt have to boot from a mem card, it could boot off a disc, gamecube can store stuff in its memory somewhere.. the action replay disc can be removed straight after it boots and you can still do whatever you want cos the whole thing is loaded into memory, also i guess you could run something off the memcard if you were that desperate.. altho i think it could work fine the same way as it did with dreamcast, just boot it then let it run.. there is a keyboard made for gamecube.. which will be released eventually.. hopefully.. so that would be cool.. assuming someone gets it to work on gcn first.
i have heard of a working emulator for gamecube too so i guess that would help with developement, altho you would probably need to edit the emulator since it only runs a couple of images, one being the dvd select menu, im guessing that was taken from the panasonic gamecube, i dunno how it was ripped tho, perhaps the whole thing is stored on a chip somewhere in the panasonic cube... i leave you all to think about that, oh and btw, i wouldnt say nething i dont think is true.. im not trying to fool ne1, some1 has made a bootable homebrew disc and also some1 has made a working emulator. (works with some demos and ports.. no actual games as yet)

Offline hakr89

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2003, 06:18:15 AM »
i'm not sure how the Gamecube hardware would prevent this...but you could write the actual linux os onto one of those mini-cds and just use the memory card for personal storage...only other problem is getting ethernet drivers...lol

Offline Shift Key

• MISTER HAPPY-GO-LUCKY
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2003, 01:43:02 AM »
The fact that the XBOX is not dissimilar from a PC I think is the main reason Linux people have been so interested - and the irony of running a free operating system on a Microsoft product is very funny.
As for the GC, the hacking has not been as huge because
1. Completely different architecture.
2. No large storage device (same for PS2)
3. Would you hurt your little purple box of magic? I know I won't!

Phreak: The GC discs are designed to be read in the opposite direction to normal CDs, so whatever that concept is you came across, its either very expensive or a hoax. And the game will not boot unless there is a code of some sort at the start of the disc (that the GC checks during startup, then makes a beep sound before starting the game). The code is apparently set during manufacture, and because normal drives cannot read them, its is basically indecipherable.

Offline ib2kool4u912

• Prez Sez, SCHOOL IS FOR LOSERS
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2003, 02:33:30 PM »
I remember reading somewhere that you could buy something to make Linux run on a PS2. It came with a hard drive. I don't remember where i saw this mostly because when i saw it i wasn't even sure what linux was.

Edit: http://www.us.playstation.com/purchase.aspx?id=hardware  There it is (don't know how to make stuff clickable)

Originally posted by: Ian Sane
"But if that extra slot under the gamecube isn't for a hard drive then what the hell is it for?"

The Gamecube waffle iron.

"I have made this thread. It is mine. I call it. But I will share it with you."-KnowsNothing

Offline cyo

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2003, 09:41:21 AM »
My gamecube is in shambles sort of at the moment...I read your forums and decided to peak under the hood after transforming almost all electronics in my house into Linux ran devices (excluding this computer and a microwave.)  I don't see why it's not *possible* to load a version of Linux onto the Game Cube.  To load Linux on after a quick glance at the Game Cube would require a lot of work onto the Game Cube and more skill than your average gamer posesses.  Very possible...if you just scrap parts out of the Game Cube and make a computer, besides that it doesn't look too promising with out more knowledge of how all of this is made.  I don't see much reason in ever loading a Linux system on a Game Cube, its about as logical as the people who put Linux on an Ipod, the only reason you do it is because its cool and different(The reason I say this is because the Game Cube, yes, no matter how great, is a bit lacking in technology that powers it, I'm not too fond of the 64mb of ram Xbox has either, though).  If you really want a console that can run Linux and games, go towards the Xbox.
Registered Linux User #2,159,014

Offline dee kay

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2003, 07:44:16 PM »
whats linux?

Offline enigma487

• Scalar, The Destructor!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2003, 06:05:47 PM »

Originally posted by: dee kay
whats linux?

seriously...

Offline Bobby_Digital

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2004, 12:04:39 PM »
Believe me when i say it will work, u can read all about the project here. It's not finished yet... but it's commin'...
Duh!

Offline RyanL

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2004, 06:43:15 AM »

In order to get a Gamecube to boot anything from a memcard, you'd likely need a custom BIOS, which would require a mod chip.  I think a more reasonable solution, as someone above posted, is to boot from a disc and put your dynamic data on a memcard.  In order to do this, of course, you need to be able to burn Gamecube discs, which is probably difficult to do without using a dev kit from Nintendo and therefore being subject to their licensing.

I have read that the Gamecube's disc drive is pretty much a standard DVD drive, and that all the logic for reading Nintendo's proprietary disc format is in the firmware.  If someone could figure out how to flash the firmware, you might be able to get a Gamecube to read standard mini-DVD discs.  That would simplify things greatly, though you'd probably no longer be able to run games on your cube.

I predict that all of these things will eventually be done.  The reason, at least on the surface, is so that people can make homebrew games using free tools.  Piracy is, of course, always an underlying motivation.  

Why Linux?  That's easy to answer.  It's a Mount Everest thing.  They do it for the challenge.

-Ryan

Offline RagingTurkey

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2004, 08:42:54 PM »
Yeah, thus far the 'Cube is the only disc-based console that has yet to be cracked open for pirating-goodness. Piracy is a wonderful, beautiful thing, and is the driving motivation behind any number of technological achievements!

/me thinks it's time to do a little more in-depth research into the Gamecube disc format...

Offline taech

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2004, 08:35:31 AM »
they are making some progress in making linux run on the gamecube. currently you can stream it from your computer to gamecube. all it does right now is show tux (the penguin)

link: http://www.gc-linux.org/

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2004, 09:57:31 AM »
That's how it started on the XBox as well.
"Streaming" Linux over the network isn't that strange, we have a similar setup in school.

Offline ghostVi

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2004, 04:51:49 AM »
It's actually pretty common in the world of OSes to network-boot (including MacOS X). On topic: they have a PPC linux kernel booting to some point already (not just running a code that displays Tux).

edit: spelling