Community Forums > NWR Forums Discord

Khushrenada's Song of the Day.

<< < (2/6) > >>

Khushrenada:
Thanks to the current Safe Words game and members asking why we never talk about music, I thought I'd rebrand this old thread and turn it into a chance for me to finish talking about music I've liked and in an easy-to-do format as a Song of the Day. Maybe it's something you've heard before and maybe it's something new.

Let's get this started with today's song: Social Media by Pet Shop Boys

Pet Shop Boys are one of my top five favorite bands/groups/artists. Most people probably know them for their hit West End Girls back in the 80s. Admittedly, that was my point of reference for them for a long time. I did eventually hear some other early works they did through music channels and radio but it was rare to see or hear anything played beyond that first hit. It wasn't until around, like 2009, that I actually tried seeking out an album of theirs and looking into the group. Then I discovered that they were still making music (and still are). They've been at this for over 3 decades and unlike a lot of musicians that struggle after the first decade I feel they are still putting out great works and am surprised that so many people just don't seem to know this about them. They are one of the few musicians for which I pretty much play their whole discography. Not everything is great, of course. 60% I really like, 30% is fine enough. I'll listen to it instead of skipping it and 10% is depending on my mood by likely chance I'll skip it.

This particular song is something they recently put out in 2019. It probably falls a bit more on the lower side of the 60% but I still seek it out from time to time and play it. It falls on the edge of possibly being old guys complaining about social media without having anything great to say for some people but I think it is more just meant to encapsulate what social media use usually encompasses. It's a simple enough ditty but I like the energetic pop sound of it. At one point, there is a deeper singing of the chorus for "When you're on social media" that for some reason brings to mind communist propaganda of comrades calling out those lyrics. Who knows where your imagination will take you when listening to a song. There's many lyrics from the Pet Shop Boys that rattle in my head. Admittedly, this song doesn't reach the zone of clever lyrics that other songs of theirs have but the line of "From football to religion to contemporary art, you're ready to pontificate" does stick in my mind a bit and ring the most true. It feels like my participation on these forums has encompassed some of this stuff at time. Came here to talk about future Nintendo games and some time later one is posting about the Byzantine Empire and how it perfectly encompasses the middle ages and provides the link from the fall of the Roman Empire to the Reformation. Or maybe you decide to start posting a song for the day and talk about music. Who knows? With social media, all things are possible.

Song of the Day!

BeautifulShy:
One of my friends here loves Pet Shop Boys.  She is always raving about them.

That is a very catchy and true song and I love the video was done in the form of social media. Very meta.

Also love this idea Khushrenada. 

Music is one thing that I like to listen to when I am feeling down and I need a little lift.  I have listened to a lot of music this past year.

M.K.Ultra:
That's a really cool concept for a video. I don't remember seeing a video with the lyrics appearing as text. I usually tell people I don't do social media but now that I think about it, the NWR forums are social media, right?

BeautifulShy:

--- Quote from: Mr. Bungle on March 23, 2021, 01:31:13 PM ---That's a really cool concept for a video. I don't remember seeing a video with the lyrics appearing as text. I usually tell people I don't do social media but now that I think about it, the NWR forums are social media, right?

--- End quote ---
Yes forums are a type of social media and one of the first types of it. Just more contained in one area of the internet. 

ThePerm:
Forums are less of a challenge to asocial people. I never liked Twitter. That character limit annoys me. Without using more words some of the nuance is lost.

Here's what I think of Social Media:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRHetRTOD1Q

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version