Author Topic: Super Mario 64 DS Confirmed for launch and official boxart...  (Read 9607 times)

Offline joeamis

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Super Mario 64 DS Confirmed for launch and official boxart...
« on: October 04, 2004, 04:38:20 PM »
I just read that Gamestop's online page has updated it's Super Mario 64 DS boxart for the game, it looks just like the Spiderman boxart as far as how the box is.  The art itself is much better though.  Since Spiderman is a launch title, and it's boxart has been shown, you could then assume that Super Mario 64 DS is confirmed as a launch title as well.    Super Mario 64 Boxart!

The fact that DS games look like they will use the same boxes manufactured for gba games has a significant pro and con in my opinion.  First the average shmoe may not even notice that these boxes are actually for a new console, especially if they're placed right next to gba in the stores.  If he does notice they're for a new console, he may not know what the DS actually is and put it off as just another gameboy.  However, since Nintendo will be using the same boxes, they will be saving money and they will not have to worry about shortages.

EDIT: they also have the boxart for Mario Power Tennis for GC. Mario Power Tennis

Offline joshnickerson

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE:Super Mario 64 DS Confirmed for launch and official boxart...
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2004, 05:13:21 PM »
Just one small problem... Nintendo's long stated that the title is "Super Mario 64x4".

I just don't like these DS boxes. They look to Gameboy-like, and goes against Nintendo's "third pillar" stance.

RE: Super Mario 64 DS Confirmed for launch and official boxart...
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2004, 05:19:54 PM »
It says the release date is dec 7th though.
"It seems that a great number of individuals crave technology that gives an individual a false sense of intimacy. Producing just enough communication to get the job done while stripping out the intangibilities. If you had the chance, would you demand convenience give your humanity back? Or would you

Offline joeamis

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2004, 05:33:05 PM »
true, but changing the names of titles happens alot, close to release too, especially for launch games.  I remember hearing about the official titles for Mario Kart Double Dash, Mario Golf Toadstool Tour, and now Mario Power Tennis only right when their boxart was shown.

Offline MaleficentOgre

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2004, 05:34:07 PM »
Titles change. and it might not be the final box art.  For all we know they could use mini aramy cases.  Or snappers. yay

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2004, 06:07:55 PM »
Um, the cases are like miniature DVD cases, and look nothing like GBA cases at all... -___-
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Berto2K

• This could be you, at E3.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2004, 06:17:16 PM »
Guys, do you not remember what the DS game card boxes are shaped like as of E3?  Look in here if you don't remember:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v303/Berto2K/DSBox.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v303/Berto2K/NintendoDSb.jpg
Pietriots, we roll out to get the lol out.

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2004, 06:24:36 PM »
So, the're GameBoy sized, but actually a DVD style case.  I hope they come with small cases like the Panasonic SD cards do.  It would make things much easier for travel...  

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2004, 06:40:49 PM »
$49.99 GOOD LORD THATS A LOT A MONEY!!!!!!! (for a DS game that is)

I seriously hope that is only an estimate in price and games are no more than $27.99 - $34.99
which would in turn make GBA games drop to $14.99 - $24.99 depending on the game.

Offline Don'tHate742

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2004, 06:48:13 PM »
Well given the fact that no official luanch detials, or any detials concerning game pricing, you can rest assured that it is an estimate.
"lol in my language that means poo" - Stevey

"WTF is your languange" - Vudu

Offline Berto2K

• This could be you, at E3.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2004, 07:21:30 PM »
Yes, the prices are just place holders for when the info is actually announced most likely on the 7th.  Even if you did pay in full at these estimate amounts, you will have  have extra balance to put towards something else.
Pietriots, we roll out to get the lol out.

Offline MaleficentOgre

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2004, 07:23:05 PM »
well there's only three days until we find out for sure if all these rumors are true.  I do hope that the box size shrinks.  I also hope the games have their own cases like gameboy games did.

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2004, 11:04:03 PM »
Super Mario 64 DS has to be the most ridiculous title ever, but somehow I get the feeling that's probably final.
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline joshnickerson

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2004, 04:06:00 AM »

Originally posted by: Switchblade Cross
So, the're GameBoy sized, but actually a DVD style case.

Ah, okay. I'd never seen those pictures before. So they're probably about the size of CD cases, then, only a bit thicker.

Interesting...

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2004, 08:16:50 AM »
I wonder how accurate the describtion of the game is.

I hope that the singular player game doesn't have to be played with all 4 characters.  I would love to have just a portable Super Mario 64.  Or atleast the option to play the original Mario 64.

I would also like that something new with the 4 characters, but I don't want that more than the original.  

At least the idea of the 4-Player game is going to rock.  

I can't wait for this game.

Offline Renny

• Satin
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2004, 12:37:22 PM »
Is anyone else not seeing boxart?

Awful

If that isn't just a GameStop mock-up, someone at NoA is getting shot.

direct linking? Sam thinks not.
"... i only see pS2s at the halfway house so its those crazy druggies playing them." - animecyberrat

Offline PaLaDiN

• I'm your new travel agent!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2004, 12:42:18 PM »
That's not what I saw when I clicked the link yesterday. Rest assured, whatever's there right now is not the boxart.
<BR><BR>It shone, pale as bone, <BR>As I stood there alone...

Offline MattVDB

• In need of an alter-ego
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2004, 01:14:42 PM »
Dude, if showing the boxart, then having it removed doesn't confirm it as a launch title, I don't know what does.  Gamestop probably got the info in along with the picture to post, did so, and then got asked to remove it until Thursday.  It makes perfect sense, if the box didn't look official enough as it was.  (I'm sorry, but I dare somebody to actually create a mock image like that without the proper resources...)  Good times, good times.

Offline ruby_onix

• Obsessive Sailormoon Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2004, 01:16:19 PM »
Yeah, that's not what was up the other day.

This new one is just the "placeholder" image they look to have for all of their DS preorders. Just the logo from an old game in the series (their "Mario Kart DS" one even says "Super Circuit"), with a DS logo stuck on the top, and an "RP" ratings logo photoshopped into the corner.

Yesterday thay had a much better image (although still not exactly an awesome one) with an actual "Super Mario 64 DS" logo on it (which isn't exactly a term that's been used for this game before now), and Mario, Luigi, Wario and Yoshi (?) all standing in a pose, ready for battle, as if they thought they were on the cover of a Mario Party game or something (the exact pose looked new to me). There was no cheap "DS" logo tacked onto the top, but it had that white GBA-style curve on the side of the box, which is (or rather, used to be?) visible in that SpiderMan box art thread.

But, for some reason, GameStop pulled the image that they had, and replaced it with this generic "Super Mario 64" placeholder.

Edit: Forgot the spooky emoticons.

Edit#2: Here's the boxart that was on GameStop, for anyone who missed it.
Poor people should eat wheat!
I'm about to go punk up some 3rd parties so they don't release games on other hardware, ciao!
- Ken Kutaragi

« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2004, 02:20:44 PM »
So, I'm wondering what exactly makes up this game.  From what I remember, the E3 demo was simply 4 people in the castle courtyard competing for something.  Now, I'm just guessing here, but since they have chosed to call it Super Mario 64 (x4 or DS) it seems like it will be simply Super Mario 64 in a 4 player cooperative or copetitive mode.

Does anybody else have any more info then just that?

Offline DrZoidberg

• Secreted by the Internet Bee
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2004, 02:43:28 PM »
I hiiighly doubt that the Super Mario 64 DS boxart is the final one. It doesn't even have anything other than the logo.. that can't be what Nintendo is going with.
OUT OF DATE.

Offline kurst_chao3030

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2004, 02:47:00 PM »
....have u read what happened...gamespot.com had what we think was the original box art but for some reason changed it today. you can find the one we thought was the box art at dsadvanced.com, its new!
Banned

Offline kennyb27

• President of Nintendo. Seriously!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2004, 04:46:04 PM »
Gamestop still has the original boxart up on their DS Gamelist.
-Kenny

Now Playing: I-Ninja (GC), Pokemon LeafGreen (GBA), Nintendogs (DS), Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour (GC)
Just Finished: Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker (GC), Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door (GC) Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap (GBA)
Need money for: Advance Wars: Dual St

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2004, 01:04:02 PM »
Final final boxart for those who care... ^_^
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline ruby_onix

• Obsessive Sailormoon Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2004, 01:29:41 PM »
The serial number says "NTR" ^_^
Poor people should eat wheat!
I'm about to go punk up some 3rd parties so they don't release games on other hardware, ciao!
- Ken Kutaragi