Author Topic: FF XI to jump platforms?, 200 gb Blue Ray discs?  (Read 2641 times)

Offline joeamis

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
FF XI to jump platforms?, 200 gb Blue Ray discs?
« on: September 25, 2004, 08:40:24 PM »
In the new Rumor control at Gamespot they address the issue of the PS2-2 (my own achronim for the new model) not having a HD bay.  Sony didn't think it was much of a problem because consumers who want the HD are hardcore gamers (can't argue that) and since 27 million PS2 are in hands of consumers in NA they feel people who want the HD already have the console for it.  (I agree there too)  

I mean how many consumers out there who want the HD don't already own a PS2?  The people buying a PS2 now are either casual or wouldn't have the money to afford the HD and/or FFXI fees.  The FF XI producer wasn't as upbeat, suggesting looking into changing platforms for FFXI, but his wording is a little vague, so I'm going to post half the quote here and if it's deemed a violation you can remove the quote, but please leave the rest intact.  Here's what he said regarding changing platforms for FFXI, "because once the PlayStation 2 is phased out, [the FFXI] population will have to move somewhere."  Now what I take from that is that he means the people who don't already own FFXI, who plan to for PS2, who don't already own a PS2 and won't be buying one until the first model is phased out.  I think he's a little too hopeful for FFXI sales, however if they keep making significant expansion packs like they say they may, then his opinion holds a little more weight.  I think it can be solved though by simply Sony continuing limited production of the old model PS2 for the small amount of gamers who plan to buy the console still, the HD, and the fees for FFXI (still think that's unlikely).

--BLUE RAY 200 GB--
The next thing worth reading in their rumor section was about the fact that Sony has developed an 8 layered, 200 gb Blue Ray disc for PS3.  And Sony plans on having 100 gb BR discs available to consumers in 2007.  The details if it's real will be given Oct 11-15 at some international meeting.

I don't see how they would need that much storage for games next generation.  I do know that they're pushing the medium limits now with many dual layered PS2 games and some PS2 games on two dvds.  And back in the PS1 days games were on as much as 4 cd's.  And I read something regarding how the Gran Turismo series started on 1 cd, then 2 cds, then a dvd, and now a dual layered dvd.  I really see the lowest storage amount for Blue Ray (23 gb) to be enough for a next generation game, but I could be wrong.  I have a feeling the whole 100-200 gb deal is to demonstrate that Blue Ray should be the next entertainment medium chosen instead of the competitors HD-DVD's.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
RE: FF XI to jump platforms?, 200 gb Blue Ray discs?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2004, 09:48:54 PM »
Let them build in support for all BRD types. That way devs can decide how large they like their media. I don't think it'll be the end of texture compression, though. The PS3 is estimated to have 256MB of RAM, Doom 3 needs 512 for uncompressed textures. Actually Doom 3 needs 512MB main memory + 512MB video RAM for Ultra quality, so...

As for the PS2.1 users, they should grab FF11 on the PC. Maybe S-E will abandon the PS2 version soon (no more expansions) and tell people to go to the PC...

Offline Nephilim

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE:FF XI to jump platforms?, 200 gb Blue Ray discs?
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2004, 01:31:08 AM »
they had 20gig disks 7years ago
are they using disk's that big today? nope
The fact is that people want value for money, a 8 layered disk will cost alot to make
Even dvd-ram's are still expensive, yet you throw around 200gig disk's which have 8 layers seems a bit crazy.
Even for 2006

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2004, 05:29:48 AM »
DVD RAM is expensive because it failed and there's few suppliers. 20 gig disks are used, just rarely. And I doubt a 200GB disk is THAT expensive to manufacture. Of course we're not talking about 200G games in 2006, but the technology has to stay for five years if you're making a console and the space demands will rise until 2010. What might be okay in 2006 might be a bit low during the later life of the system.

Offline Renny

• Satin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2004, 05:54:30 AM »
So there's still no word about old PS2 production? The fact that they are letting stock run out on it doesn't bode well for future availability, besides 2nd hand offerings.

So what do HDD users do when theirs breaks? [OMFG, PS2 is t3h industrial! I have an original. It sounds like a 747 but it still runs!] If Sony has any respect for its fans they'll offer a trade-in or direct purchase offer, something like what Nintendo is doing with the Cube. Of course with the GT4 news that's uncertain.
"... i only see pS2s at the halfway house so its those crazy druggies playing them." - animecyberrat

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2004, 12:43:26 PM »
As far as Final Fantasy XI, it is predominantly pc based now anyway.  I very seldomly meet a PS2 player on my server.  Subscriptions are going up too, so I wouldn't really worry about their sales assumptions.  MMOs should stay on PCs anyway, IMHO.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline Djunknown

• HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2004, 02:16:30 PM »
Wow, 200gb? Unless they plan to make "The game that never ends", can the devs really max out that sort of disc space?

Or will they go "F' compression, Hi-res models for everyone/thing!" I'm thinking in terms of current generation technology though; I'd guess the next batch will have Doom 3 quality style visiuals as standard, super surround sound, and support ridicously high proggesive scan rates. Maybe they'll actually need all that space?
Ma ma sa, ma ma coo sa
Ma ma se, ma ma sa,
Ma ma coo sa

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2004, 09:08:56 PM »
They WILL find a way to fill that space and if it's just making a Xenosaga compilation.