Author Topic: Gran Tourismo 4 not online  (Read 4228 times)

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
Gran Tourismo 4 not online
« on: September 24, 2004, 09:55:34 PM »
Can't believe nobody of our "drifto fans" posted this, so here we go:

Eurogamer reports that while GT4 is still on track for a december release, the retail version will ship without the much-demanded online multiplayer mode. Sony stated that they will release another version of GT4 in Spring 2005, however no picing information has surfaced yet.

Offline DrZoidberg

• Secreted by the Internet Bee
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: Gran Tourismo 4 not online
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2004, 03:19:25 AM »
O_o, that's pretty crazy and pathetic on the part of Sorny. Way to release an unfinnished product to capitolise on Christmas sales, grrr.
OUT OF DATE.

Offline Uncle Rich AiAi

• Abandoner
    • View Profile
RE:Gran Tourismo 4 not online
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2004, 04:08:56 AM »
Didn't Polyphony Digital keep delaying the game to get the online mode right?  And now, they drop it when it could have perhaps been released last year.  

Offline MaleficentOgre

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2004, 06:27:23 AM »
For the millions of people that don't give a squat about online gameplay then this is a non factor.  The game will sell will regardless of the fact that there is no online gameplay.  and when the online game comes out next year it will also sell well, but not as good as this years version.  

Offline SgtShiversBen

• I'M NOT AN ALIEN!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2004, 08:03:24 AM »
Even though I'm not into online gaming that much, it was a major factor in this one.  Unlike GT3 or 2, this one would have actually had some competition to play with.  But no, now it doesn't.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not likely one to not buy a game because it doesn't have online play.  It's just that all of them have been the same since the first one.  The only difference is the cars.  That's like buying Madden 2005 and it just being updated rosters.  So yeah, it was a factor in this one.  But oh well, I'll just get me MP 2 or the DS
"The next step is already being prepared for Revolution. [It's] not just a portable, not just a console -- it's exactly what we wanted in that it's the birth of a completely new platform." - Youichi Wada [Square Enix]

Offline Darc Requiem

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2004, 09:38:32 AM »
Sony pulled the same crap with Gran Turismo 2. They release a buggy game minus 4 of tracks to get it out by Christmas. Then after the "unexpected" complaints they released a bug free version and gamers that bought the buggy version could send end their copies and Sony send them back the "fixed" game. The game never did get the 4 tracks they took out. All they did was fix the bugs and the made the game say 100% complete when obtained all the available vehicles and tracks. The buggy version only let you get 97% or so. Anyway I'm not surprised by anything Sony does.

Darc Requiem
"Fiery words fuel debate and debate yields understanding."

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2004, 07:06:49 PM »
Yeah, I saw this - if the online ver is only like 20 bux, though, I wouldn't mind buying it again later rather than never getting online at all (lol mvc2 lol )

Offline joeamis

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2004, 07:37:08 PM »
Personally, I was very upset when I heard about no online but I can't blame their business decisions.  GT 4 is a major game for them this Xmas, and with everything from MS and Nintendo, they need to do all they can.  Apparently the NA work for the online mode was done, but the Europe and Asian work was not...  Guess rather than give the majority of their online userbase something the rest of the world would not get, would be a worse move.  But anyways, GT4 is going to be phenomenal regardless of online play or not.  Over 50 courses (not including mirrored), now boasting 650 cars, all the new modes of play (especially Drag Racing for the first time!), photo mode, flee market mode, banker mode, etc etc etc.  It really will deliver the goods.

The only thing is that if GT4 is released next year online for the same price, I will be mad, everyone will.  I doubt they will do that.  I would not be surprised though, if the GT 4 online next year is the PSP game.  It would be a sly marketing move, and would guarantee big PSP sales.  Maybe they will release the PS2 GT 4 online the same day, and make the titles coplayable online.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2004, 08:45:17 PM »
Without online play this is starting to look like a redundant sequel... so it should sell HUGE with the Sony crowd.

Seriously though this pisses me off.  I don't give a f*ck about Gran Turismo but the principle of releasing an unfinished game with the intention of releasing the REAL finished game next year just pisses me off.  The thing that bugs me is they'll get away with this.  People will buy it and then buy the online one next year.  People will let Sony rip them off.

This is why I hate having a non-gaming company that doesn't give a f*ck about their own product on top of the industry.

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2004, 05:43:37 AM »
Boy, that's pretty lame.  No...very lame!
One of the sad things is that I don't think delaying this even would have made that big of a difference to Sony, what with Grand Theft Auto and (I think) Devil May Cry 3 coming out this Christmas.  Too bad Sony players won't even care.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline MaleficentOgre

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2004, 07:39:29 AM »
DMC 3 doesn't come out until february in the states.  GTA will be a million dollar seller, and Killzone will sell a bunches.   GT4 will sell over amillion now and a million later.  Sony could have released it six months ago with no features and it would have sold close to the millions.

Offline joeamis

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2004, 09:22:14 AM »

Originally posted by: Ian Sane
Without online play this is starting to look like a redundant sequel...

That couldn't be farther from the truth.  Gran Turismo 4 has so much more than it's predecessors it's amazing.  Your opinion shows you really don't know really anything about the new game.  The new features far outway online play in terms of it "being redudant".

Offline DrZoidberg

• Secreted by the Internet Bee
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2004, 07:01:34 PM »
Yeah, it should still be a fun game without online play, BUT, it's still a pretty crafty move on Sony's behalf
OUT OF DATE.

Offline Uglydot

• Jesus
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2004, 10:07:35 PM »
Had they cut features to get online play in a timely fasion, I would call it a reduntant sequal.  Games don't need online.  Period.