Author Topic: F-Zero  (Read 54553 times)

Offline Stimutacs Addict

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
F-Zero
« on: February 01, 2003, 03:17:19 PM »
Does anyone know what the control layout will be for this (hopefully) dazzling title? I was wondering how they would do the controls for the arcade version, and then i began to think "how does the layout for the GCN version work?"

also, how do you think the arcade layout will be... i think playing F-Zero with a joystick would be a little awkward

anyways, i guess if anyone has any ideas, then here is the place to discuss it...  
I'll shut up now...

Offline BlkPaladin

• Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
F-Zero
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2003, 03:32:26 PM »
I think it was said it would be like the N64's layout. (I think it was the preview on Planetgamecube a few days ago.)
Stupidity is lost on my. Then again I'm almost always lost.

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
F-Zero
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2003, 04:01:14 PM »
Sure, Bakudan covered the controls in his Impressions of the game.  Here they are:
A button - accelerate
B button - brake
X button - side attack
Y button - boost
Z button - spin attack
L / R trigger - moving the center of mass
Control Pad - change view  
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline Perfect Cell

• View Profile
F-Zero
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2003, 04:28:19 PM »
I think he meant the Arcade Cabinet, not the console version.

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
    • View Profile
F-Zero
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2003, 04:37:06 PM »
He was actually asking about both.  I doubt the arcade version will use a joystick, but it will be interesting to try F-Zero out with a steering wheel too.
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
    • View Profile
F-Zero
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2003, 05:00:30 PM »
They should use a GameCube controller in the arcade machine =P

Offline MarioFoxZelda

• View Profile
F-Zero
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2003, 05:24:41 PM »
baisically just like waverace GC but no waves.
what

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
F-Zero
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2003, 06:41:06 PM »
I cant wait to play F-zero...the rip roaring speed...the music...i wanna play this in an arcade...as if i were in the cockpit of Captain Falco's car.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline o0O MeaN O0o

• View Profile
F-Zero
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2003, 09:30:59 PM »
F-Zero was one of the 3 main reasons I bought a GameCube, and I know it won't disappoint me...
Signature:
(max 255 characters)

Offline DarkDraco2K2

• View Profile
F-Zero
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2003, 11:03:59 PM »

Originally posted by: Infernal Monkey
They should use a GameCube controller in the arcade machine =P

Tsk, tsk... You know what happens when you put a controller in a public place... it gets broken . I'm hoping for a really sweet-looking steering wheel. If it's possible to see what the steering wheels in the cars look like, it needs to be an exact scale replica. Word.

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
    • View Profile
F-Zero
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2003, 12:52:48 AM »
The Japanese are getting some free bonuses from Sega.  Extra characters what?

Sega of Japan is currently holding a special campaign for owners of Eternal Arcadia Legends (Skies of Arcadia Legends outside of Japan) to download special data to their memory cards at selected stores.

By combining this special data with the game save, players will have access to special items and characters. In addition to the special data, players can receive a limited Eternal Arcadia Legends memory card label sticker.

This promotion is highly unlikely to become available outside of Japan.

Comin at ya with High Level Course Language and Violence

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
    • View Profile
F-Zero
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2003, 01:28:34 AM »

Originally posted by: Termin8Anakin

A big F-Zero racer cabinet, model steering wheel, 4-speaker sound and 180 degree vision would do the trick nicely.

Ohhhh, and also have a rotating strap in unit. You know those stupid flight sim games in the arcade where you get in like a huge ball type-thing, and spin around in all directions.
Imagine doing a loop and having the whole machine spin you upside down!

We'd have hundreds of sick kids in arcades everywhere, fun for everyone!

Offline Kuchakor

• View Profile
F-Zero
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2003, 06:06:34 AM »
F-Zero is four player right??

I'm pretty sure it is.... it would awesome if the arcade featured for player support!!
Town: TVLand
Name: Kuchakor

Whatya up to Norm?

My ideal weight if I were eleven feet tall.

Offline Aretak

• Tekishuu
    • View Profile
F-Zero
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2003, 07:14:07 AM »

Originally posted by: Kuchakor
F-Zero is four player right??

I'm pretty sure it is.... it would awesome if the arcade featured for player support!!

F-Zero is indeed 4 player. I can't wait for it, the videos I downloaded from IGN look absoloutely amazing...
DVDs | Games

"Ideas are far more powerful than guns. We don't allow our peopl

Offline Stimutacs Addict

• View Profile
Official F-Zero Thread
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2003, 08:33:51 AM »
I'm really hoping for some more tunes that are as catchy as Big Blue and Mute City's music

and I hope the Arcade Version gets pretty popular, I really want people to notice this game.
I'll shut up now...

Offline nolimit19

• The Owner
    • View Profile
Official F-Zero Thread
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2003, 09:19:41 AM »
i hate to say it, and i better not get flamed, but is this game online???? and if it isnt it should be.
A thing moderately good is not so good as it ought to be. Moderation in temper is always a virtue; but moderation in principle is always a vice.

Thomas Paine

Offline Aretak

• Tekishuu
    • View Profile
Official F-Zero Thread
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2003, 10:39:50 AM »

Originally posted by: nolimit19
i hate to say it, and i better not get flamed, but is this game online???? and if it isnt it should be.

Not as far as we know, and it's very unlikely it will be.

As for the music in the game, it has remixes of some of the classic tunes like Mute City and Big Blue. If you listen to the music in one of the videos from IGN it has a remixed Mute City theme playing. The original version of that music is one of my favourite pieces of music from a game of all time.
DVDs | Games

Offline ShanD

• View Profile
Official F-Zero Thread
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2003, 01:53:08 PM »
Yeah, Big Blue is great for racing. Its like do do dododo do do dododo **fast**dododododo/fastdo do do do dod o do do do dodo d nar nar nar nar nar do do doo do doo doo doo **insert midi gitaur** Anyway, I'm really looking forward for F-Zero GC. Amusment Visions seems to be doing the series justice, and the graphics are astounding. I just hope the gameplay holds up.
hay guyzz wuts goin on in dis sig

Offline Lao-tzu

• View Profile
Official F-Zero Thread
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2003, 02:27:49 PM »
One thing about F-0 I hope they don't skim over is computer AI.

What's worse then a racing game where your oponents might as well not be there.

(Sure, technically it'll always be against a time.. but you can mask it)

I mean, Mario Kart 64 had it (a bit).. and that's what made it so fun.

You'd shoot the leader.. then someone would shoot you...  *sigh* good times..

And F-0, with all those opponents, had better have some great nose to nose car chases.
Name: Aaron
Town: Hobbiton

Offline JSR

• View Profile
Official F-Zero Thread
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2003, 07:16:32 PM »
F-Zero is a game I want, badly. If looks beautiful, (hopefully) has great gameplay and of course it has F-Zero music. One thing that’s really cool is that (I can’t remember where I heard this) you can race up to thirty opponents! I hope the framerate doesn’t drop when doing that.

It’s coming out in June, right?
It's Random and It's Nintendo - Random Nintendo

Offline Lao-tzu

• View Profile
Official F-Zero Thread
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2003, 08:34:09 PM »
You can race up to about 30 people.

But will that be good without the AI?  I don't think so.

That's why I'm goig to wait scepticually until I rent before I get excited about F-0.
Name: Aaron
Town: Hobbiton

Offline Aretak

• Tekishuu
    • View Profile
Official F-Zero Thread
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2003, 01:47:58 AM »
From the videos I watched the CPU AI looks very good. The person playing the game was certainly having no easy time overtaking them.
DVDs | Games

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
    • View Profile
Official F-Zero Thread
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2003, 04:20:10 AM »
I think you would be a total loser if you played a game and weren't an expert at it, so I think that's the case with the guy playing F-Zero.
Lucky Bastard.

Yeah, six player connected arcade cabinets (Daytona USA style), all with that crazy flight-sim ball that moves thingy! There would be a screen on top of each cabinet so others can see the craziness of the game. You do notice a game when it's being swamped with people looking in. You see it with all those dance games. You get applauded and you get all the chicks going starry-eyed at you cause you dance like pro.
I remember when Time Crisis 2 came out. Anybody who was shooting good attracted a large crowd. I hope that's the case with F-Zero AC. I remember that great feeling inside when me and my friend got to the boss, and there where around 20 people there watchoing us, then cheering when we finished him. Oh, the joy. You only become a celebrity for the duration of the game, and for about 20mins afterward, but oh, that feeling is so great. Total superiority over the mere mortals.

Offline aoi tsuki

• View Profile
Official F-Zero Thread
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2003, 01:11:26 PM »
The AI looks okay, but not "very good" IMO. It actually looked really rubberband... after the player boosted past an opponent, the opponent boosted past the player (like in Extreme G 3). i'd expect that in the further races, but not at the beginning. With better AI, i'd expect CPU opponents to have natural enemies according to their storyline, remember when you attack them or cut them off (to get revenge), etc. i tend to doubt that the game could do that with 30 opponents while maintaining a 60fps framerate, but i like to be surprised. ^_^

i really hope AV fully realizes F-Zero instead of just updating it (which is what i'm beginning to think). The more i look at it, the more it reminds me of Capcom and Resident Evil on Cube. Not like that would be a bad thing, it would just be a disappointment for the game that started the genre, especiallly when it could be so much more.

After watching the videos again i noticed one seemingly two player split screen game with what looked like four possible human opponents. It's likely that two of the opponents were CPU racers, but i couldn't help but think what if they were four players linked between two consoles.  
"Snake felt a hunger for Meryl blossom within his loins."

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
    • View Profile
Official F-Zero Thread
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2003, 04:59:14 PM »
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I don't know how anyone can be impressed by F-Zero. The backgrounds/buildings/off-the-track details are great looking, but the vehicles themselves are very basic. They look sort of plastic-toy-ish and way too clean. I remember the first thing I thought when I saw the trailer on the Zelda bonus disc for F-Zero was how they looked like N64 models put into a GameCube game. F-Zero overall seems too "colorful" if that's possible; it should be a bit darker and grittier. The framerate, though....... wow.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just though I'd resurrect this thread, since this was the first thread to go to if you want to talk F-Zero after all.

I don't mind if the vehicles are bright and 'plastic-toy-ish', or too clean. Cause then you can see em better. And since now the tracks are so detailed, it would be a high point if you could see you vehicle to race.

Also, some people I know have seemed to complain about the lack of weapons in F-Zero. Nintendo Magazine System (Australia's now defunct official magazine) said when they reviewed F-Zero X: "Let's face it, when bombing around at break neck speed against your mates you want to be able to send a missile up his exhaust."
To me, weapons in a racer with this kind of speed is too detracting from the whole experience. Imagine travelling at 1000km/h, and having to watch out for tiny little mines placed on the track. The only weapon I use is the default cannon, simply cause you can't turn it off. The side attacks and spin attacks in F-Zero are not only more brutal than any homing missile and destabiliser, but they are more fun to pull off, and when done right, you just wanna do it again. I mean, who couldn't stop playing Death Race to try and beat your time? You see how when you smash a racer, it just zooms from side to side at light speed? That to me was pretty good physics, and way more satisfying than the simple explosion in XG3.

BTW, what is everyone's best Death Race time in F-Zero X? Mine is 56sec. But the best I ever saw was 29sec, in UK N64 Magaine.