Author Topic: Metroid Prime: Federation Force Revealed  (Read 8303 times)

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
Metroid Prime: Federation Force Revealed
« on: June 16, 2015, 05:51:00 AM »

Nintendo has shown off a new title in the Metroid series for 3DS.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/40458/metroid-prime-federation-force-revealed

Metroid Prime: Federation Force is coming to 3DS. Nintendo announced the 4 player co-op focused title as part of their E3 Digital Event presentation.

In Federation Forces, the player controls a member of a Federation combat team, fighting enemies of peace. Metroid Prime: Blast Ball, which was previously shown during the Nintendo World Championships, will also be included in the game.

It is unclear whether Samus will be making an appearance.

Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline SupaKirb

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
Re: Metroid Prime Federation Force Revealed
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2015, 12:58:06 PM »
Not sure how to take this news....

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2015, 01:00:57 PM »
Finally. This was exactly what I was hoping for: a return to the Metroid Prime series potentially without Samus.

Offline jarodea

• A man of the world, so suave and discrete, he trips over the women piled up at his feet
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2015, 01:09:47 PM »
Didn't Lindemann predict that Nintendo would make an fps from a federation soldier's perspective a year or 2 ago?

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2015, 01:13:25 PM »
Who cares. It's co-op, and won't be like the classics at all. And it's honestly sad to say that the Prime Trilogy is a classic.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2015, 01:26:40 PM »
Didn't Lindemann predict that Nintendo would make an fps from a federation soldier's perspective a year or 2 ago?

That was Guillaume.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline ObbyDent

• Too reasonable for this forum
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2015, 01:26:50 PM »
thanks obama

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2015, 01:37:51 PM »
Well at least this points heavily to Retro's new game being Metroid Prime 4.  The original Hunters sold worse then then worst selling Prime game, so for Nintendo to make another Hunters, even still letting it keep the name Metroid Prime despite Samus nowhere in site, implies heavily the real deal is being worked on.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2015, 02:00:06 PM »
I can't say I was expecting this, but it could be interesting.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Metroid Prime: Federation Force Revealed
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2015, 02:35:46 PM »
Couldn't give less of a **** about this.  I'm not interested in multiplayer Metroid.  Metroid is about isolation.

Nintendo makes these spin-offs of their IP but they're generally so bad at storytelling that the gameplay is all that I value in their franchises.  They'll give us some different type of game with the Metroid/Zelda/Mario universe but those universes are either devoid of any interesting details or are batshit insane.  The Metroid story is garage.  In the post-Other M world it is useless trash and it was starting to get kind of incoherent before that anyway.  I couldn't give two shits about Samus Aran the character or the world she inhabits because Nintendo is incapable of making me care.  I still love Metroid because I love the gameplay.  Since Metroid is a single-player game I already know this won't have the Metroid gameplay so what appeal is there to me?  If anything I'm annoyed because it feels like this is a substitute for a "real" Metroid game.

I prefer videogames as a largely solitary experience so Nintendo pushing real hard on multiplayer Zelda and Metroid is a huge turnoff.

Offline NeoStar9X

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2015, 02:55:04 PM »
I'm waiting to see what the gameplay is really like. However visually the game looks like trash and that's best way I can express my opinion when it comes to what I'm seeing.

Offline noname2200

• Not a douche. Seriously.
  • Score: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2015, 03:02:58 PM »
The Treehouse segment for this one is something I'm really going to be paying attention to. They showed so little so far that I can't really form an opinion yet.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2015, 03:14:04 PM »
Live on Treehouse.

Cartoony graphics and numbers popping up when you shoot monsters makes me think of Borderlands.

Gameplay itself is like any other co-op console shooter, like Halo or Destiny.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline azeke

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2015, 03:18:41 PM »
Even special powers are like Halo -- there is jetpack and shield from 3...

Offline azeke

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2015, 03:26:13 PM »
Mode they're showing right now looks like Gears-style Horde mode...

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2015, 03:28:48 PM »
Yeah, I'd say this old Spoony video kind of sums up my overall impression of this game.

There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline noname2200

• Not a douche. Seriously.
  • Score: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2015, 03:30:16 PM »
Looks quite entertaining. Although in fairness, some of my enjoyment may come from three of the guys clearly antagonizing the fourth...

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2015, 03:31:59 PM »
im watching them play this now. Interesting. Its not exactly what I wanted, but im quite positive about it seeing people play. Its tower defence/gears of war/metroid prime

art style is weird though.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline mud3342

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2015, 03:40:38 PM »
Regardless of whether it's for me or not, I can accept this as a spin-off. Traditional Metroid is the culmination of its gameplay even though story can have different importance. I think Nintendo understands what Metroid gameplay actually is this is purposely not that.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2015, 04:25:54 PM »
The art design suggests that, as usual, Nintendo is obsessed with making Metroid popular in Japan.  Personally I like that Metroid wasn't cute like most of Nintendo's other franchises.  If this was a real Metroid game and the series wasn't already tainted by Other M these graphics would get a Wind Waker "betrayal" type of response.  It looks like Metroid's take on Virtua Fighter Kids.

Metroid is one of those truly "sacred" videogame franchises.  It is usually in the discussion regarding greatest videogame series ever.  Every videogame company would kill to have something with that reputation and yet Nintendo seems pissed off that Metroid isn't big in Japan and isn't as mainstream as Mario.  They seem so preoccupied with appealing to who doesn't like Metroid and they're going to drive off the fanbase so that NO ONE likes Metroid.

I can't see too many Metroid fans being even remotely interested in this.  The sort of audience that would be interested doesn't give a **** about Metroid.  They're diluting one of the most prestigious brands in videogames for a product aimed at people for which the brand has no value.  That's like making a Lamborghini minivan.

I'm stuck in that annoying catch-22 where I hope a Metroid product I want nothing to do with fails horribly so as to not encourage Nintendo to bother with further Metroid spin-offs but that Nintendo somehow doesn't interpret it as a message that Metroid doesn't sell.

Offline TOPHATANT123

• Wear a hat that's foil lined in case an alien's inclined to probe your butt or read your mind
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2015, 04:27:16 PM »
Chibi Metroid? Well it's close to glitter Metroid, good call Guillaume.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2015, 06:23:33 PM »
I spent the last two months replaying Metroid titles. I can see how this is different, and I appreciate getting something different every once in a while. I still think there is a big Metroid game on the way. Probably been in development for a while, yet too early to show off. Being made by who knows. This is not it. This  is on 3ds, which I dont have. So, im not toing to be upset about a game I wont buy anyways because I really dont do handhelds. I also like gears of wars.... so theres that. Ive also been interested in the backstory with the federation vs the space pirates. So, it appeals to me as any other spinoff does, I know its not the main game. Theres always talks that all Nintendo games are the same, its silly to hear uproar when they do the safe thing, but then when they do something outside of the box its OMG WTF waaaaaah why curses?!!!
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2015, 07:07:38 PM »
Well at least this points heavily to Retro's new game being Metroid Prime 4.  The original Hunters sold worse then then worst selling Prime game, so for Nintendo to make another Hunters, even still letting it keep the name Metroid Prime despite Samus nowhere in site, implies heavily the real deal is being worked on.

Retro Studios no long exists.  It's just a shell company now.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Wah

• Social Worker who's hip with the kids
  • Score: -44
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2015, 07:08:12 PM »
yay! I was right!
Made you look ****.

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2015, 08:43:08 PM »

Retro Studios no long exists.  It's just a shell company now.

This is the meme for Rare, not Retro Studios. And neither are true.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)