Author Topic: Are memory cards needed? I'm new to GC!  (Read 4456 times)

Offline tahnok100

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Are memory cards needed? I'm new to GC!
« on: April 26, 2003, 03:23:55 PM »
Does the gamecube have any memory built in for saved games? Or should I not bring home a GC without a memory card. This may sound like a stupid question to you hard core GC owners, But I am really new to this! Thanks for your help!

Offline Squall

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2003, 03:43:35 PM »
Yes.  I recommend getting a memory card 251.  And since you're new, you might not know about the Wavebird wireless controller, which I also highly recommend, despite having to pay for batteries.

Offline TheCouch123

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2003, 03:45:10 PM »
Yes you will need a memory card but don't get a 59 because it's way to small. Get the 251 instead.

Edit: Sorry about my pointless post squall posted first.

I am so bored.

Offline Locke Cole

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2003, 04:27:36 PM »
You could bring home a Gamecube without a memory card, but then you wouldn't be able to save.  Just remember not to get any third party save cards.  They sometimes delete files without notice.

Offline DRJ

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2003, 06:54:39 PM »
There are 64mb memory cards hich will have all the storage you need. If you play a lot of sports games a 251 memory card probably wont cut it. Also dont get wavebird wireless since there is no rumble feature. There is another wireless controller out there that does have rumble and the batteries last the same as a wavebird (100 hrs)
Ralph: Hi, Principal Skinner! Hi, Super Nintendo Chalmers!

Offline mariomeatball

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2003, 08:07:20 PM »
I recomend the Wavebird wireless controller. Realize that anything made by Nintendo is top quality hardware. Not to mention that 3rd party controllers simply do not work the same way with games because the first party (nintendo) controllers are what developers use to set motion peramiters, etc, within games. The rumble feature is NOT that important unless you are playing a game such as Leged of Zelda the Wind Waker where the rumble feature helps find items and alerts you to clues... things like that.  Like people in the above posts have said... Go with stuff made BY Nintendo, such as memory card 251 and the Wavebird.

Offline joeamis

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2003, 08:20:14 PM »
i'll try to make this easy to understand since you probably don't know all the abbreviations we  Gamecube Gamers use

definitely get the memory card 251 by nintendo
the wavebird controller is good, it uses radio waves to transmit the single so you dont have to point the controller at the system like the older wireless controllers..(old ones used infrared)
you can even play the gamecube behind a wall with it hehehehe

i would stick with the regular controllers by nintendo unless you have a large supply of batteries and you don't care if you get the rumble feature or not

there are memory cards for sale by other companies which usually hold much more data, however they save the data using a different process and this sometimes results in your saves being lost- aka deleted perminately

Offline RCTurner

• View Profile
RE:Are memory cards needed? I'm new to GC!
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2007, 11:34:33 PM »
Just bought a GC on ebay. I need to get a memory card.

I am a bit confused - is the WII memory card identical, ie can I buy a WII memory card and use it in my GC?

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE: Are memory cards needed? I'm new to GC!
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2007, 11:48:55 PM »
Yep! The Wii's memory card clips onto the GameCube's handle. It'll come with instructions on how to do that.  

Offline nitsu niflheim

• Eye-Candy Andy
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2007, 01:11:23 AM »
lol, the king as spoken!
Currently Reading:  Odd Apocalypse ~ Dean Koontz
Currently Watching:  ?

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2007, 01:30:18 AM »
/sigh

No, they aren't the same.  Get a regular Nintendo branded GameCube memory card.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline j_moose

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2007, 10:18:23 AM »
I would definately go with a WaveBird.  My Bird just may well be one of my favorite things ever, and if I had the money laying around I would buy 3 or 4 more.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2007, 10:28:44 AM »

Originally posted by: RCTurner
Just bought a GC on ebay. I need to get a memory card.

I am a bit confused - is the WII memory card identical, ie can I buy a WII memory card and use it in my GC?

Yeah, listen to Pale. A Wii memory card and a GameCube are incompatible. GC's only take GC memory cards, so you'll need to pick one of those up from a gamestore or somewhere online.

In fact, Wii memory cards aren't even Wii specific. Don't be fooled into paying more for a "Wii" brand memory card, because these cards are identical to the SD memory cards that they sell for digital cameras. Oftentimes stores will sell an SD card as a Wii memory card, or include them into bundles, for 20, 30, or even 40 more than the go-ing rate for an SD card that doesn't have the words Wii on them.

Originally posted by: j_moose
I would definately go with a WaveBird.  My Bird just may well be one of my favorite things ever, and if I had the money laying around I would buy 3 or 4 more.

Hmm... I've always wanted rumble, so wavebirds never caught on with me...
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2007, 12:45:43 PM »
You don't need a memory card for the Wii since it has some internal storage, but you might want to pick some up anyway. SD cards are relatively cheap, but as Kairon said, you probably don't want to get one marketed specifically for the Wii.
is your sanity...

Offline Cap

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2007, 03:28:16 PM »
i was going to start a new thread, but since someone brought this 4 year old one back from the dead, i might as well use it. does anyone know where i can purchase a new wavebird online? i would prefer a canadian retailer, but it doesnt really matter, and i dont really want to order through ebay. any help anyone could give me would be appreciated. i would like to find one or two before it is too late.

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2007, 03:39:08 PM »
That's a tough one. It may be already too late to find one at a reasonable price - Amazon has it at $90 CDN.

Though I remember not too long ago I saw some at Superstore - you might want to look around for some at a brick and mortar store.
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline Cap

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2007, 03:51:39 PM »
yeah i saw the one on amazon, but i was hoping to find one a little cheaper. i might buy it if i can find any others though. stupid nintendo... make the wii backwards compatible and stop making all gc accesories.  

Offline NeoThunder

• Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2007, 04:24:47 PM »
I prefer the mem 1019......30 bucks but you will never run out of space, even with 70 games like i have
Wii# 4120-9638-2308-7614
<BR>
<BR>Mario Kart# 3178-8705-8094
<BR>
<BR>Faith is the complete surrender and acceptence of total control