Author Topic: SPOILER ALERT: MCU Thread (Quantum-Ant-Man-ia)  (Read 238482 times)

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
Re: SPOILER ALERT: MCU Thread (Avengers Infinity War)
« Reply #125 on: May 02, 2018, 02:11:25 AM »
The one thing that i have been thinking about is how the AOS Storyline conflicts with Infinity War. The season 5 plot suggests AOS has been stuck in a timeloop, and this has happened several times. If only SHIELD know about this then the Avengers won't (as they don't appear in the movie) and the events of Infinity War have looped several times already. Only by breaking the loop are the events of Avengers 4 allowed to happen and then stick.

It would all be explained that the Avengers are busy. I don't watch AOS, I did a bit, but there was a time with more alignment. Anything in Marvel could be explained with Alternate realities.

The Defenders only touches on MCU a bit too. I imagine Marvel is just waiting to collect enough money to buy out Sony's complete Marvel rights. Which is probably something like 4.5 billion dollars. I can only imagine how much Kevin Feige raged or scoffed when he saw the Venom trailer.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 02, 2018, 03:27:52 AM »
Seriously, don't think about it at all. Planet is going to blow up and they couldn't even keep Deathlock around. Call Pepper Potts, I am sure she has someone in her Rolodex even if RDJ is dead. Bloody call Ghost Rider. Even Aida would work as I doubt she wants the planet to explode if you can get her back from hell. Old Hydra wouldn't want the planet gone either or Hunter. How many heroes or villains don't want the planet to blow up especial with them standing on it.

This season disintegrates hard precisely because they upped the stakes far, far too high. The previous seasons were plausible that they don't send up the red flare. This season is not going to end well. I can't envision any payoff that will work within their means in show or outside. It has had some good episodes but I am watching a car crash happening.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 02, 2018, 10:30:03 AM »
I left the movie after the single post credit scene happened, but was there really an end credit song?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dG7GlmrHS78

Why do I not believe Marvel/Disney would actually put this at the end of the movie?
This has to be a joke right? can anyone confirm?

edit: There's a ton of good memes going around. So I 'm gonna sprinkle some here, and some there, so as to not spoil any other threads. LOL

:(
« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 12:11:41 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 03, 2018, 07:04:14 AM »
Yeah that song is not a real thing. The Chadwick Boseman-Hemsworth should have been a giveaway if the terrible song wasn't.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 03, 2018, 08:44:00 AM »

#InfinityWarSpoilersWithoutContext

Online Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: May 03, 2018, 12:04:14 PM »
GALACTUS IS COMING!!!
as pronounced by the herald Silver Surfer.

as a side thought.... what if the recreation of 50% of people turned into dust, isn't done perfectly and causes more than a few.... MUTATIONS? hmmmm.

Wouldn't that be Fantastic!? Or would the MCU just be DOOMed!?
I was actually thinking about The Beyonder instead.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: May 08, 2018, 11:07:27 PM »
I still think each movie or show should have its own spoiler thread. I've never seen AoS and only wanna talk about Infinity War...

I've been beating the drum to have a movie/tv forum to do just that. Give each show and movie it's own thread and post away. Then when we discussed forum change (a year ago) so many people seemed to poo-poo the idea of such a forum so blame the other users for this problem. (I'll just keep blaming Insanolord.)

I really liked how they built up Thanos. It worked and worked well. You understood his stance, but he was still wrong. He was absolutely the star of the film.

ehhh...

Don't get me wrong, I liked Thanos as the villian... but his motivation is so flimsy to me.

Finite resources in the universe.  Sure, with you so far.

Life cannot continue to expand uncontrolled and be substained on the finite resources.  Okay, I'll accept this premise.

Thanos plans to gather a source of limitless control over all time, space, reality, etc.  Makes sense.

Thanos then plans to kill half of all life... instead of using this reality warping device to, I dunno, create more resources?

Like, dude, you killed your daughter and it made you all weepy eyed.  Bring her back and alter reality so that life doesn't even need food to survive.  Look, I just cut down on the resources needed.

On my drive home after seeing this movie, I thought the same thing. Why not make resources more renewable or generate infinite spawning resources? I suppose you can argue that even then it could eventually lead to incredible overpopulation yet shouldn't an infinitely expanding universe allow for more land and space to be created to continuously allow for there to be room?

For that matter, when Scarlet Witch destroyed the Mind Stone and yet Thanos didn't seem that disappointed, I figured he could probably use the Time Stone to rewind time and get it and sure enough that's what happened. So why didn't Dr. Strange rewind time for a moment to keep Star Lord from snapping Thanos out of Mantis's spell to remove the glove? As someone else pointed out with Dr. Strange before he vanished is that allowing Thanos to succeed might be "the only way" to stop him but guess we'll see for sure in part 4.

I left the movie after the single post credit scene happened, but was there really an end credit song?

That's fake. In the time it took me to get up from my seat, walk down the aisle and then turn to leave the theater than that song would have started playing based on the time it starts in that video and it did not. Plus, the lyrics do not seem Disney approved.

Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: May 09, 2018, 12:18:23 AM »
For me, I do feel like Infinity War is definitely one of the best movies put out in this Marvel Universe but it's hard to recommend it on its own since much of its strength comes from all the movies and history from what has come before. So for those that don't get the Marvel universe or just watch some but not all of the movies here and there then it may not have that same impact. Part of me wonders how the Marvel universe may be received in a couple decades. The James Bond franchise has 24 canon films in it. Yet, aside from a couple, you can watch them in any order you want. Yeah, there will be differences between them based on the time it was made but that's the great thing about Bond flicks. You kind of know what you're going to get as it plays different variations on a theme so people can catch up on the series however they want. But with Marvel, I think it would be a weird and questionable experience to see these films in any order. You almost have to watch them in the order they were released to really enjoy movies that were in Phase 2 and then Phase 3. I wonder if that barrier of entry of time and planning to go through them all will affect newer generations and how they view the films. I was talking with my cousin who's around 23 and he's never seen Return of the Jedi to complete the original trilogy because the older effects in those films don't work for him and they're a different vibe from the newer prequel and Disney made ones though he's not really a huge fan of those either. Star Wars just isn't that appealing to him. Perhaps the same thing may happen to this cinematic universe especially since a lot of Phase 1 is a bit rough which makes going through those movies another barrier of entry due to the quality. (And then there is the similar story beats in a lot of the movies which can make them seem repetitious at times.)

Still, having mostly kept up with the universe, I knew what was going on. That said, I felt this movie almost needed a bit more backstory. Like what made Thanos decide now was the time to go after the stones? Was it the destruction of Asgard? It's not like Thanos went after the Tesseract first. He did attack Xandar which also seems like a big deal considering it's importance in GotG1 and the battle of Ronan. At the end of Avengers 2, Thanos has the gauntlet yet he destroyed that forge place to get it made so why didn't Thor and the Norse Gods realize this or get a signal about Thanos threatening it? Then we also got all these Thanos underlings which is odd since up to this point, we really didn't see much of an organization under Thanos and they were treated like they somehow mattered but ultimately didn't. From sitting in a chair on a rock in space to suddenly having a home planet with spaceships going to and fro, the sudden Thanos Empire was odd and felt like it could have been set-up more at some point prior to this.

I liked the Guardians presence in this massive team-up and they gave the movie a lot of its humor but it almost clashed a bit with the rest of the tone of the movie and the stakes in it plus they really screwed up a lot of things in Thanos favor. Teenage Groot was much better than Baby Groot so hopefully we get more of that in GotG3. Groot and Rocket were the only ones successfully doing things from that group. The (maybe) death of Loki (no one trusts a trickster villain to be dead after being such a big part of this universe and faking death before) and Idris Alba's character set the tone that this was going to be a movie with death and destruction so the only ones who are safe are characters getting sequels in Phase 4 (and even then the movie surprises with a lot of those characters dying yet obviously those deaths can't last). Apparently Thanos was the real Ragnarok.

For the most part, the characters were separated into groups with their own missions against Thanos. I was hoping for more co-mingling with the heroes but it would probably very difficult to schedule all those people together and allow them to play off each other and stand out. In some ways, it almost felt like an Avengers movie with part of a Guardians movie grafted on to it. After Thanos took Gamora, how did the other Guardians know or decide to go to Titan since Thanos had never been shown before in these movies of being there or mentioning it as a home base? Thinking about it, although the movie does have a few fights and action moments in the beginning, it's mostly a slower movie with a lot of moving pieces as Thanos collects the stones. I think the best fight is the one on Titan with Stark and Strange and the others. The battle at Wakanda has some great moments but the battle on Titan had a better gelling of the hero's strengths in combat against Thanos and his power. I found the Vision and Scarlet Witch parts the least interesting of the film and they seemed to drag the most for me.

The Stark/Parker relationship is pretty good. Tony asking Peter how he'd handle the situation like he's teaching Peter a lesson on how unprepared he is for this level of threat only to go along with the plan Peter comes up with was a nice touch. Then having to face some of the Guardians and attempt to lead them was another great moment. I came in thinking Iron Man and Cap would probably be casualties since I don't think they've got much contract obligations left after this Avengers team-up but was shocked that they're still going at the end of this one. Still, I think they may bite it yet in A4 then. But at least Iron Man is getting a bit more time to shine before he potentially goes out even if his tech is getting more ridiculous. I guess that's what happens when you have Wakanda pushing the bar even further into magic tech.

Just how powerful is Thor? Dude can withstand the blast of a sun/star and the temperatures of space. I guess he can't summon lightning in space since he never used that power in the beginning when confronted by Thanos. Why didn't he go for the head or chop of Thanos arm or cleave him in two with the axe? C'mon, Thor!

I appreciate that at least Thanos seemed to understand the powers he was accumulating with the Infinity Stones and was successfully using those powers all throughout the movie. Harder to fault him since he kept succeeding with what he did while the heroes made all the mistakes. I really hope Part 2 can come up with a satisfying solution to this current ending and I wonder how it's all going to get resolved. The Infinity Gauntlet on Thanos hand seemed a bit destroyed at the end after he made his wish but there seemed to be another potential Gauntlet with Dinklage's character. That said, the stones are still attached to Thanos' glove so maybe it is still viable. He at least still holds the stones so they'll have to be taken from him.

The end credits scene of Fury calling to Captain Marvel seems to set her up as an important piece in defeating Thanos (so lucky thing she survives the 50/50 chance of Infinity Death) and makes her upcoming movie more interesting to see just what she is all about and can bring to this fight but this movie doesn't do much to inspire interest in Ant-Man and the Wasp which just seems irrelevant now and I really didn't care much for the first one already.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: May 09, 2018, 09:44:03 AM »
The main reason why Infinity War works so well is the same reason why other studios trying to make their own universe of IP can't manage it:

1 - make a good movie first
2 - then add layers then payoff (sequels that tie into Avengers)
3 - then payoff the payoff (thus IW and Avengers 4)

Some movies have skipped to 2 (the mummy remake), then others went straight to 3 (justice league!). All have failed in some reason since then.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: May 09, 2018, 02:29:28 PM »
The key is has always been #1. If your movie is just that good, and I mean perfect, you can jump to #3. The problem is after that you have nowhere else to go.

The big, big problem facing superhero movies and one of the many things Star Wars suffers from is threat escalation. With each movie the problem has to get arbitrary bigger and stronger. You have more, stronger, powerful, op heroes.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #135 on: May 13, 2018, 11:22:00 PM »
LMAO

I knew it would be something that started with an "H"!!!

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: May 13, 2018, 11:29:43 PM »
The key is has always been #1. If your movie is just that good, and I mean perfect, you can jump to #3. The problem is after that you have nowhere else to go.

The big, big problem facing superhero movies and one of the many things Star Wars suffers from is threat escalation. With each movie the problem has to get arbitrary bigger and stronger. You have more, stronger, powerful, op heroes.

Head to 4. Phase 4 Fantastic 4.

Eventually head to Phase 7
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1568816/

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: May 13, 2018, 11:42:51 PM »
Head to 4. Phase 4 Fantastic 4.

Eventually head to Phase 7
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1568816/
lol: Inside a quarantined apartment building a man must protect his pregnant wife from his new neighbors.
Budget:ARS 2,500,000 (estimated)

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: May 14, 2018, 08:26:13 PM »
It might be my favorite Argentinian movie. My favorite of like 5 "stuck in an apartment quarantine" movies.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: May 16, 2018, 02:11:15 AM »
Dead men don't lie..... that is how the saying goes right?

https://twitter.com/Cade_Onder/status/996574880182231041

LOL. Fucking Mahvel!!!

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: May 16, 2018, 08:10:28 AM »
Lol, inside joke about Footloose.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: May 17, 2018, 03:34:05 PM »
Is this the partitioned area we can talk about Infinity War freely?  I just saw it a few days ago. 

Overall, I really enjoyed my time watching the movie, although it's definitely not as well put together as the first Avengers, and I agree with Unclebob that Thanos' motivations are a bit too much to swallow (I honestly would rather it be all over some unrequited love/obsession with death). 

For starters, Thanos feels oppressive through the entire movie, in a way that feels suffocating each time he's taking action on-screen.  This movie more than anything is about him, which I don't know if it's intentional or if it just feels that way because he's such a pivotal part of the story that he seemingly takes up more screen time than any of the other characters.  How early on he decimates Loki/Heimdall, brutalizes Hulk, and humbles Thor sets the tone from the beginning.  The scene with him and the guardians shows he's not just a brute, but also clever.  And the battle sequence on Titan has fantastic moments between the team effort to contain him, Spiderman's "magic punch" and "magic kick", and Iron-Man fighting so desperately for that "one drop of blood" before being completely overpowered.

I also loved Thor's arc, because his moments in the movie were where you could come up for air, get some levity (for the most part), and where the movie generally takes a bit slower pace and gives some breathing room.  Him, Groot, and Rocket have some great interactions, and allow both humor and some somber talk to happen that gives Thor more dimension than he usually gets a chance to have.

Dr. Strange/Spider-Man/Iron-Man worked great together as well.  The tension between Dr. Strange/Iron Man with the quips and quirkiness of Spider-Man struck a good balance, and 2/3 of the Guardians joining up with them mid-movie was a great layer on top of that. 

Where I think things felt a little flat to me were Captain America/Scarlet Witch/Vision/Black Panther segments.  Partly because Cap felt heavily stone-faced and lifeless, partly because I have no affinity for Scarlet Witch and Vision's characters or romance that was just introduced, and partly because they've done the "hordes of mindless monster enemies" so often that nothing about this sequence felt particularly special. 

The "snap of the finger" wasn't surprising to me only because I got spoiled the end of the movie, BUT, Peter Parker's moment with Tony was a bit gut wrenching for me only because they did such a good job capturing the likely thought process of a kid realizing how badly things have gone wrong, looking to a parent figure for help, realizing it's too late, and apologizing for not doing good enough.  I saw my oldest son a bit in that moment watching it, and it was just really tough to witness in that sense.  Fantastic dialogue and acting in that moment. 

I really do think this movie is going to be thought of by younger people similarly to how some of us might think of The Empire Strikes Back.  It isn't a perfect movie, and even if you assume all the "disappeared" characters are going to come back in the next one, I can appreciate Marvel at least leaned heavy into the end of this movie.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #142 on: May 17, 2018, 10:02:51 PM »
This was stated from the get-go to be Thanos' story. With Thor having the 2nd most story in this movie.

And considering AoS got renewed for a Half Season, that airs after Avengers 4.... this Friday's episode is probably gonna kick your screen in and start cutting onions right under your nose.
They know I hate it when they do that too....

Oh and regarding the survivors of IW, notice how it's the original Avengers all still standing.

also remember that Thanos had to break his own Heart to get the soul stone.
the theory of T.H.A.N.O.S. is complete. The only question now is how does Thanos snatch defeat from the jaws of victory?

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: May 17, 2018, 10:27:38 PM »
It may have been stated from the get-go that it's Thanos' story, but from the perspective of someone whose been deliberately not actively following the Marvel Cinematic universe lately, it was a pleasant surprise.

I dropped off of AoS after last season.  Not that I expected it to drop off in quality, but I just didn't know if I was interested in investing time into the show after Coulson ends up in spaaaaace.

Yep, definitely noticed besides Rocket and Blue robo girl that it was OG Avengers.  Not sure what the implication is there for storytelling, but makes me believe that at least for a few of them Avengers 4 will be their last movie.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: September 24, 2018, 10:20:00 AM »
So even if they reverse the Infinity Gauntlet, Heimdall, Loki, Gamora, and Vision are all still dead, right?

Am I the only one disappointed we didn't get to see Nova Corp vs Thanos?

Was that a dark elf from Thor 2 that Thanos had working for him?

What exactly does the mind stone do? Did Thanos know he was loaning it to Loki in the form of the staff in Avengers 1?

Is Thanos dead from Thor killing him?

edit: More questions

Where was Captain America's shield?

Red Skull must have unknowingly Tesseract'ed himself to some distant planet when the ship crashed, right?

Asgard getting destroyed was the signal for Thanos to make his move, right?
« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 10:24:25 AM by ShyGuy »

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #145 on: September 24, 2018, 10:33:29 AM »
Shyguy:

Where was Captain America's Shield:  He left it with Iron Man after their battle because Tony Stark said he didn't deserve the shield because His father (Tony's) made it.

Is Thanks Dead from Thor's attack?  Probably not, but that is left unknown.  Yes it was a lethal blow, but He still has the gauntlet and stones to change reality or some how heal himself.  Personally, I would love him to be dead...but the reality is he is probably very much alive. 

Red Skull, was transported to the distant planet with the Space Stone yes. 

Since the movie was already pretty long and Nova Corp sucked against Ronan I didn't need to see them suck against Thanos.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: September 24, 2018, 11:44:51 AM »
I see people on the Internet complaining about Starlord being an idiot who screwed everything up, but Hulk was the most infuriating hero in  the movie.

Offline lolmonade

• View Profile
« Reply #147 on: September 24, 2018, 03:25:13 PM »
I see people on the Internet complaining about Starlord being an idiot who screwed everything up, but Hulk was the most infuriating hero in  the movie.

Also, Starlord in MCU is a rash, impulsive idiot.  It is not out of character at all for him to act based on his emotions.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: September 24, 2018, 06:21:03 PM »
I think Asgard bring destroyed was the signal to Thanos that Loki would have the tesseract wherever it was, and unfortunately for half of the survivors, he was on Korg's ship.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #149 on: September 24, 2018, 07:34:05 PM »
Thanos knew that Gamora found the soul stone from Nebula, which meant he basically had the location of all the stones, meaning it was time for him to move.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.