Author Topic: AI War Fleet Command 4.0  (Read 1637 times)

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
AI War Fleet Command 4.0
« on: October 28, 2010, 01:59:33 PM »
AI War just hit version 4.0,the amount of changes is crazy. For starters they ported the game to the Unity engine (which also adds Mac support). Mind you, this is a free patch! There's also 147 new units and 200+ pages of changes! They also released a new expansion, Children of Neinzul which has all profits donated to Child's Play!
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/10/27/the-a-i-war-update-to-end-all-updates/

The game is somewhere between 4X, tower defense and regular RTS. You fight against an AI that controls the entire galaxy and you have to carve out your way, bit by bit until you can strike their central computer systems and destroy the AI once and for all but since you are hopelessly outnumbered you must make sure the AI does not consider you a big threat until it is too late. 
http://arcengames.com/aiwar_features.php
Try the demo if this confuses you.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
Re: AI War Fleet Command 4.0
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2010, 12:03:08 AM »
Just got this game myself for the Mac. Being a new port and everything it's got bugs so yeah, but the community is pretty good so by the time I run in to the bug, someone else has reported it. So all I have to do is wait.

My question is whether the expansions are worth the time right now seeing I am only an hour into the game so far and how prevalent they are.

Also if anyone out there want to organize a game, I am game.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2010, 04:51:04 AM »
Well, they're currently 50% off on Steam (the codes you get to unlock the full version work in both the Steam and non-Steam version, you can even use them to add AI War to your account) so it might be worth getting Zenith Remnant now and only activating it once you feel like it (you can disable expansions on a per-match basis). The expansion really adds a TON of new stuff that makes the game better and more planets important to your strategy (e.g. golems and various planetary booster devices). Children of Neinzul isn't as much of a must-have though I heard advanced players really love the new Hybrid Hives AI plot there.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2010, 05:43:06 AM »
Sounds good. Got the the Remnant for now.

I will have to wait a bit before I can really play though since there are a critical bug or two that needs to be squashed in the Mac version. Seeing how enthused the developers are compared to anybody else out there, I don't need faith to know that they will fix it.

Being only able to really play the first hour the AIs hasn't had the motivation to crush me yet. I have suffered some defeats from some offensives I have launched and taken on successfully the retaliatory strikes.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?