Author Topic: Xbox original  (Read 11183 times)

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
Re: Xbox original
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2018, 11:29:46 AM »
I just saw a video from Modern Vintage Gamer (previously know as Lantus, who ported a ton of emulators and stuff to Xbox back in the day) and he had the same suggestion. His was leaking and he removed it in the video. I'm sure there's no harm in doing it, but if you haven't used your Xbox in 15 years it's probably fine for now. Capacitors only leak from use, unless iltheyre physically damage or something.

Having said that, the clock resetting every time you power off can be incredibly annoying, especially if you're using the default Xbox dashboard, or a modified version of the original.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 11:32:21 AM by BranDonk Kong »
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
Re: Xbox original capacitor leaks?
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2018, 07:31:23 PM »
Bump.

Has anyone heard of the Xbox original's clock (super)capacitor leaking? I recently stumbled upon a few youtube videos and threads about removing them:
Neogaf: Attention Original Xbox owners - Remove the Time Capacitor before it's too late!
Xbox v1.1 clock cap leakage nightmare
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cdR8Ryn4wE

I'm trying to decide whether to remove it or not. Mine doesn't seem to be leaking, at least not yet....

Yeah I saw this too, and just took mine out pre-emptively last year. It's pretty easy really, you need two different types of screwbits. Torx I think? They're very cheap and sold everywhere.
Turn over the Xbox, get the big screws out, take the lid off, disconnect harddrive and disc drive carefully, lift up some plastic, and then I just carefully broke off the clock capacitor with my hands.

I used white vinegar to clean the area (leaking wasn't bad yet), but have read that isn't the best idea? Anyway everything works fine though. If you launch to the 'desktop' screen (no disc inside when you turn it on) then it usually asks to reset the date, especially once you've unplugged it for a while. That's just 3 easy presses of A though, nothing major.

Would recommend everyone to do this, it took maybe 30 minutes and I included time to clean it out with compressed air and triple-checking the YouTube tutorial to see if I wasn't doing any damage (had never opened up a PC or console before this!).

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2018, 09:13:10 PM »
Isn't the acidic vinegar there to neutralize the alkaline capacitor leak?

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2018, 11:18:02 AM »
Isn't the acidic vinegar there to neutralize the alkaline capacitor leak?

Yeah that's why I used it, but since then I discovered there's also people who are firmly in the "never try that!" camp. Anyway I'm not a chemist so I don't know whether vinegar was a good or bad idea -- but my Xbox runs silky smooth for hours so I'm sure it's fine. Recently beat Panzer Dragoon Orta on it which was just... *chef's kiss* perfect.

Offline segagamersteph

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2018, 06:47:35 PM »
Check your games to see which ones are 360 compatible, there could be a chance you can just migrate them over to that? I know that's not ideal for everyone but it's looking like these old CD consoles don't last forever.