Author Topic: Episode 809: Skylofty Expectations  (Read 2751 times)

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
Episode 809: Skylofty Expectations
« on: February 12, 2023, 12:33:08 PM »

It's no worse a pun than "find your roll."

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rfn/62846/episode-809-skylofty-expectations

Hey y'all, did you know there was a Nintendo Direct? There was a Nintendo Direct.

We talk about it.

Tears of the Kingdom, Metroid Prime Remaster, Gameboy and Gameboy Advance to Switch online, and more. Not much to add to this, so send us questions here.

Also, if you struggled listening to RFN over the last week on your podcast player of choice, we should be all good now. Thanks to the NWR tech team for getting this sorted.

Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
Re: Episode 809: Skylofty Expectations
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2023, 02:42:51 AM »
New Mickey Mouse art style is not new and has been around for almost a decade now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCaxXQdkfPk

These series of shorts (and later a proper TV) are fantastic and highly recommended and are a great source of Ren Stimpy style face expressions characters do occasionally.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline Morningshark

• Xander Morningstar Animation Junkie
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Re: Episode 809: Skylofty Expectations
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2023, 02:17:27 AM »
Jon’s comments about stalking that person just a “little bit” reminds me of how there is a certain percentage of cow feces permitted per gallon of milk.

Very stoked for Pikmin 4. One thing I observed is that there is an opportunity for verticality to be explored that the series has seldom tried.  You could kind of go deeper in the water then in past games, but here we see full on climbing. And with the new tilted camera, I have to wonder if there are going to be more vertical based levels; perhaps you can only take Blue Pikmin into a deep underwater chasm? Or maybe you can only take Winged Pikmin into the high treetops?

I didn’t buy Splatoon 3; played the demo and that was it. My impression based on the precedent of Splatoon 2’s Final SplatFest “affecting” the story of Splatoon 3, is that the loser of that SplatFest (Team Order) is what the story of the DLC is about. Because I believe they went with an “anarchy” theme for Splatoon 3’s campaign, to match the fact that Team Chaos won. IMO, I think having a utopian, squeaky-clean, perfect society for Splatoon is a much more interesting back drop because it contrasts the punk style that Splatoon is known for. But who knows what it’ll be. Regardless, I likely won’t be buying it, just for the DLC.

Regarding Advance Wars I thought it was interesting that the commercial didn’t show gameplay, and instead relied on the (really pretty!) hand drawn animations. They even play up the “strategy” jargon, and minimize the “war” focus. Definitely a tough spot to be in.

Looking forward to the new Layton game! I skipped Katrielle… all the bad impressions and reviews were enough to keep me away. Crossing my fingers for this new one to be a hit!

Last thing, my instinct is telling me that the “shrines” in Tears of the Kingdom are the floating islands themselves. If you have a map as big as Hyrule from Breath of the Wild, you’re gonna need a lot to cover in the sky, so to me it makes sense that the places to explore in the sky (probably not all) will be the places where Link is puzzle-solving.
Xander Morningstar
NWR Associate Editor and Video Producer
http://www.xandermorningstar.com