Which game will you buy at launch?

Super Mario 3D World
23 (56.1%)
The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
15 (36.6%)
Mario Party: Island Tour. No, really!
3 (7.3%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Author Topic: If you're going to choose just one game on November 22nd...  (Read 15066 times)

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
If you're going to choose just one game on November 22nd...
« on: October 22, 2013, 08:59:20 PM »
It's a bit of a bummer that two big games are going to release on the same day...

Offline jarodea

• A man of the world, so suave and discrete, he trips over the women piled up at his feet
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
Re: If you're going to choose just one game on November 22nd...
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2013, 09:16:04 PM »
100% for Zelda atm, sweetness.  Well I'm leaving on the high note.
Anyhoo, I didn't just go with Zelda since I don't have a Wii U, I did so because it's a remake/sequel/whatever to my favorite game of all time.  I don't expect it to surpass that, but if it comes reasonably close and I'll be very very happy this holiday season.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2013, 09:19:53 PM »
I have the two relevant games on preorder. However, I'll probably play 3D World first.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2013, 02:14:48 AM »
Since I usually like to look at the discussions going on with games, Zelda first just so I don't have to worry about spoilers for too long.  Since the story lines in Mario platformers are non existent there's nothing shocking to be spoiled.  While with Zelda, there's an actual story that even if it isn't the greatest thing in the world, I'd still like to experience it brand new.  And since this is the internet, there's always going to be some douchebag who blurts out something major without warning, so it's best to play Zelda as soon as possible to lower the risk of having whatever major twist spoiled.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline MetalMario2

• Score: -9
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2013, 02:57:53 AM »
The Internet is the douchebag's natural habitat. Al Gore created it specially for people just like him.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2013, 10:19:26 AM »
Man, I've come to realize that if Donkey Kong : TF was an option, that would have been my number 1 choice easy. As it stands, I'd have to say Zelda simply because in the past year, I've played NSMB Wii, Super Mario Galaxy, NSMB 2 and Super Mario 3D Land. Whereas, I haven't played a Zelda title in over a year despite downloading Oracle of Seasons and Ages. Plus, I still have yet to crack open Skyward Sword. So, right now, it would be the fresher experience.

Heck, I might have been more tempted with Mario Party if there was some kind of Online mode but as it stands, I have no local friends with a 3DS and I get along fine with the older versions to play instead if we want to play such a game.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2013, 12:19:41 PM »
Zelda.
No, Mario.
No, Zelda.
Gah! I can't decide!

On the one hand, we're all into Zelda at my house. On the other hand, we can't play this Zelda "together" (like we do all crowded around Windwaker at the moment) and I have also been playing a lot of 2D Zelda recently.
On the other hand, we're all into the Mario at my house too and you can play this one together.

So, probably Mario first, but probably for Christmas.
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2013, 02:08:58 PM »
Maybe a late purchase of Deus Ex?

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2013, 02:19:27 PM »

Zelda games usually take me years to finish (i wish i was exagerating: for example i am finishing Link's Awakening only now and i started playing it on 3DS the day it was made available -- more than two years ago). I am in no hurry to start yet another one.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2013, 04:01:47 PM »
I look forward to playing Zelda, but the last trailer I saw for Mario 3D World really whet my appetite for a 3D Mario game, and made it a lot more fresh/exciting looking than it probably deserves to be.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2013, 04:23:40 PM »
Super Mario 3D World. I never really got into Mario Party. Between 3D World and A Link Between Worlds, 3D World just looks like the better game. It's the sequel to one of my favorite games ever AND I get to play as Peach. No contest. I think I'd be more excited about Zelda if I didn't dislike the art direction so much. I'll still get Zelda eventually, probably in December when I'm finished with Mario.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2013, 06:27:14 PM »
I agree 100% about the art direction. When I read things about the game or consider the concept, I'm really hyped to play it and whenever I see videos of it, the enthusasim starts to drain because of the way characters look. It's like they took the old Link pictures from early game manuals and made that the style and added a bit more Keebler Elf to it for that sweet spot of always seeming a bit off.

Hmm. Maybe I should check the E-shop and see if it looks better in 3D than in the 2d videos I've seen so far.

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2013, 12:13:29 PM »
It's like they took the old Link pictures from early game manuals and made that the style and added a bit more Keebler Elf to it for that sweet spot of always seeming a bit off
Damn you, Khush, you just made me snort coffee up my nosse and onto my computer screen. That is some accurate and funny ****.
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2013, 12:41:42 PM »
Gotta go with Mario first. I'll download Zelda just before I take my holiday trip to the in laws.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2013, 04:39:15 PM »
It's like they took the old Link pictures from early game manuals and made that the style and added a bit more Keebler Elf to it for that sweet spot of always seeming a bit off
Damn you, Khush, you just made me snort coffee up my nosse and onto my computer screen. That is some accurate and funny ****.

Heh. Hey, I just call 'em like I see 'em.

Offline alegoicoe

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2013, 06:20:52 PM »
I've been saving for both :cool;
Nintendo Network ID: LivByDCreed
Switch Friend Code: SW-4906-9561-1308

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2013, 06:53:34 PM »
Zelda may be the last 3DS game I buy this year. Though I may get Rune Factory 4 instead. Depends on my craving for a new handheld Zelda adventure.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2013, 08:36:08 PM »
Myself, I'll be getting Super Mario 3D World first, because my sister is very interested in playing it. It's very rare for her to get excited about a game, and so I kind of can't wait to buy it or else that enthusiasm could fade. I might not get it on launch day though, and instead see if there are any deals on it over Black Friday and the weekend.

Offline jvgsjeff

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
    • JVGS
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2013, 02:32:36 PM »
Yeah, it's crazy that we get a new Mario game and a new Zelda game on the same day. If I had to choose just one, I'd go with Super Mario 3D World. But if the store has Zelda in-stock too, I may pick them both up at the same time.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2013, 03:16:42 PM »
After watching that video from Azeke in the other thread I know I would buy 3D World hands down on day one if I had a Wii U. This would be a great holiday title to play with family.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2013, 05:47:11 PM »
Since I usually like to look at the discussions going on with games, Zelda first just so I don't have to worry about spoilers for too long.
Mario may not have story spoilers, but what about gameplay spoilers? I think that the gimmicks of each Mario level are more fun if I don't know what they are going into things, so I don't want to see or hear about a bunch of Mario levels before playing a game.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2013, 06:07:08 PM »
Truth. That was one thing I disliked about Nintendo Power. They would have pictures and talk about all the great surprises and moments in the latest Mario games. When I then later played the game, I was bugged that I already seen a bunch of those moments already and was just sort of waiting / expecting them.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2013, 05:44:04 AM »
Mario may not have story spoilers, but what about gameplay spoilers? I think that the gimmicks of each Mario level are more fun if I don't know what they are going into things, so I don't want to see or hear about a bunch of Mario levels before playing a game.

The thing is gameplay spoilers are much easier to avoid.  Unless you go on Youtube to watch people play or look at a guide, people aren't usually showing these things unmarked.  Unlike story spoilers where major twist are being blurted out without warning, even in threads that had nothing to do with the game these twist are for.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2013, 08:25:21 AM »
You're overreacting. Sephiroth kills Aerith. Most people have the sense not to talk about plot spoilers in other threads. Sheik is Zelda. Even if they do, a spoiler tag is almost always used. The player is Revan all along. It just sounds like you're making a big deal over nothing. Paul Luther is killed by the Black Guardian before the boss fight, is slow, boring. I'm more worried about gameplay spoilers since that's the entire reason I'm playing the game.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2013, 05:33:04 PM »
You're overreacting. Sephiroth kills Aerith. Most people have the sense not to talk about plot spoilers in other threads. Sheik is Zelda. Even if they do, a spoiler tag is almost always used. The player is Revan all along. It just sounds like you're making a big deal over nothing. Paul Luther is killed by the Black Guardian before the boss fight, is slow, boring. I'm more worried about gameplay spoilers since that's the entire reason I'm playing the game.

The hell is your problem?  All I said was it's easier to avoid gameplay spoilers then story spoilers.  Not sure how that's considered overreacting now.  Yeah on this website people use spoiler tags but have you been to the rest of the internet?  And I'm not talking about decade old spoilers like you used that everyone knows about.  I'm talking about actual recent games that get major things spoiled that aren't even a week old yet. 

That's like saying someone's overreacting because they don't want to know the ending to a film that was just released last Friday, but then saying Darth Vader is Luke Skywalkers father is a reason spoilers don't matter and they shouldn't care if the recent film is spoiled to them.  There's a big difference between spoilers to classic games and movies most people have seen compared to recent ones that not everyone has been able to experience yet. 

Nintendo World Report isn't the only message board I visit and on some of the others, unmarked story spoilers do happen quite frequent.  Hence the reason I'd prefer to play Link Between Worlds first so I can visit these sites again much sooner.