Author Topic: Second Circle Pad, Monster Hunter Coming to 3DS  (Read 27538 times)

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Second Circle Pad, Monster Hunter Coming to 3DS
« Reply #50 on: September 07, 2011, 12:59:37 PM »
I am shocked to see this thing is likely a real product.  Looks uncomfortable and ugly too, quite the opposite of what one used to expect from Nintendo.

Is 2011 going to be the year everyone points to regarding the fall of Nintendo?  The 3DS has been a fucking disaster and stuff like this and the price cut comes across as desperate moves.  Nintendo used to always come across as very calculated, even when things were falling apart around them.  They came across as out-of-touch a lot but it always seemed like at the very least they thought they knew what they were doing.  The 3DS feels like a mad scramble where they don't know what they're doing and are just doing these kneejerk reactions.

And in the same year they left the Wii, one of their biggest cashcows EVER, to rot with no games and they released the Wii U tablet controller to a big "huh?" at E3.  The most exciting thing about the Wii U is that it will have modern hardware.  The gimmick of it isn't generating any buzz at all.  It just seems like Nintendo's future is in doubt and last year it didn't seem that way.  2011 has just been a huge clunker.  They're no longer indestructible on handhelds and, as always, they have no momemtum on the console front.

Offline alegoicoe

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 07, 2011, 12:59:37 PM »
Nintendo has come up with some hideous add on, but this one is  just plain ugly and totally uncalled for, it makes the system look cheap and ugly, it reminds me of the old DS Fat.
Nintendo Network ID: LivByDCreed
Switch Friend Code: SW-4906-9561-1308

Offline Discostew

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 07, 2011, 01:21:18 PM »
As I mentioned on another website about this, I doubt any developers will require the use of the peripheral for their games, and that they'll still have to create control schemes that don't utilize this (as well as making those control schemes decent). It's just an option, nothing more.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 07, 2011, 01:25:33 PM »
I kind of predicted this in the rumor thread except I said Halo as the third party game, not Monster Hunter.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 07, 2011, 01:36:57 PM »
I can sympathize with what Ian is saying in that this should have been built into the hardware right from the get go so that the add in isn't necessary, but for whatever reason it wasn't. Is this add on ideal? No, absolutely not. But there is no other way another analog slider can be added. And this isn't just a great thing for Monster Hunter. It would be great for many other games as well, such as Luigi's Mansion for example, which is the game that I am thinking provoked Nintendo into developing the addon in the first place because the original Luigi's Mansion depended on the dual analog of the GC controller so it was kinda necessary. I think when development began on that game Miyamoto and his team instantly hit that problem and that's what set the addon in motion. That's my theory anyway.

People have said FPS games were never big on handhelds, well that's probably because handhelds never had dual analog before so it wasn't really possible to do FPS correctly. The Vita is going to have dual analog, so its necessary that the 3DS does also because if it don't then VITA will hog all the FPS support.

I don't get why anyone would be shocked, though. Rumors about this have been circulating for weeks. Its not like the appearance in Famitsu came spontaneously and without warning. Where there's smoke there's usually fire so when you start seeing rumors about something there's a good chance its real. No, not every rumor ends up being true, but you shouldn't just dismiss rumors just because you don't like them.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 02:44:34 PM by Chozo Ghost »
is your sanity...

Offline Dancing_Robot

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 07, 2011, 02:25:44 PM »
Honestly, this is going to be their excuse for a remodel of the system. They'll release this so people can make, play games with it, while they tinker with it until they figure out a model that has both sticks and doesnt compromise screen width. calling it

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 07, 2011, 03:08:47 PM »
3DSdsXL
(3DS dual slider XL)

I called it first.

Offline Dman15

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 07, 2011, 03:20:06 PM »
I am officially pissed of at Nintendo, and I'm never mad at them. I have the battery add on, so it probably wouldn't even work on my 3DS unless I switch batteries.  The only way I will ever get this is if there is HUGE support for it, not including FPS games.

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 07, 2011, 04:20:14 PM »
I still don't believe it, and I'm not just saying that in a Luke-Skywalker-looking-at-his-floating-X-Wing kind of way.  If this thing is real, it's probably something Capcom came up with instead of Nintendo.

Offline NeoStar9X

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 07, 2011, 04:54:39 PM »
Nintendo........ :-\

I thought they wouldn't do this but it's here. Not sure how I feel about it. It just seems that there was clearly no communication at all with third parties when this system was designed. Which paints a increasingly negative impression to me that there is and was no communication between Nintendo and third parties when it comes to the Wii U regardless of what Nintendo is trying to spin.

I will most likely get Monster Hunter and if it comes packaged with the game I will get the bundle. Monster Hunter is a expansive enough game that it would warrant the purchase. If other games use it that's great. However for those that aren't interested in MH seeing how Nintendo will sell it everyone else will be interesting. Maybe Kid Icarus will use it.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 07, 2011, 05:17:55 PM »
For everyone b!tching, lets take a little history tour at Nintendo peripherals.

Rumble Pack - Bundled with Star Fox 64.

Expansion Pack - Bundled with Donkey Kong 64

Bongo Drums - Bundled with Donkey Konga and Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat

Wii Speak - Bundled with Animal Crossing: City Folk

Motion + - Bundled with Wii Sports Restort, Flingsmash, Wii Play + and Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

Last time I checked, every peripheral Nintendo has released has come bundled with at least one of their games.  So it's not like Nintendo has ripped anyone off since any game they release that will require it will have it bundled in so everyone can play it.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

• Voice of Reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 07, 2011, 05:33:41 PM »
They ripped me off with the Expansion Pack, since I bought it for Rogue Squadron before DK64 was announced.  When I wrote a complaint letter to Nintendo, the rep told me that it wasn't really a raw deal because the Expansion Pack bundled with the game was free.  Idiot.  What could I do with an extra one, anyway?  It didn't weigh enough for a paper weight.  It wasn't long enough for a back scratcher.  It wasn't edible enough for a salad garnish.  I simply refused to buy DK64 instead.

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 07, 2011, 05:35:20 PM »
Wasn't DK64 a regularly priced game? The Expansion Pak *was* free. Remove the Expansion Pak and that game would still be the same price as every other new game.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 07, 2011, 05:54:26 PM »
The MSRP for Donkey Kong 64 was $79.99, but it may have gotten marked down at some point.

• Voice of Reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 07, 2011, 06:00:16 PM »
There was still the part where I'd already spent hard earned allowance money on one.  I was an Expansion Pack Ambassador, and yet all I got for it was the news that I'd been played.  If I'd bought DK64, Nintendo would have gotten more money from me than from anyone who didn't buy an Expansion Pack early.  It didn't matter that the second one would have been free; Ninty still would have double dipped in my wallet.  That rep did a very bad job of assuaging my anger back then, but I'm over it by now.  I just wanted to counter Luigi Dude's point.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 07, 2011, 06:05:51 PM »
They ripped me off with the Expansion Pack, since I bought it for Rogue Squadron before DK64 was announced.  When I wrote a complaint letter to Nintendo, the rep told me that it wasn't really a raw deal because the Expansion Pack bundled with the game was free.  Idiot.  What could I do with an extra one, anyway?  It didn't weigh enough for a paper weight.  It wasn't long enough for a back scratcher.  It wasn't edible enough for a salad garnish.  I simply refused to buy DK64 instead.

You could have sold it on ebay or gave it to someone you know who might be able to use it.

But with that said, you do make a good point. But I think that issue can be solved (and usually is solved) by not having every single copy of games be bundled with whatever the thing is we happen to be talking about. Take for example the Wii Speak thing. I know it came bundled with Endless Ocean, or at least certain SKUs of it. Yet there was also SKUs without so if you already had it you could just get the SKU that lacked it and you didn't end up with a peipheral you already had and don't need. I know that's also true with Red Steel 2 which had M+ bundled with some which is how I got it, but you could also buy the game without M+ if you happened to already have it.

So that's the way it could and should be done in my opinion. Plus you can always just buy games used anyway if you don't want the extra peripherals. Gamestop is notorious for throwing away cases and manuals, so I'm sure they would be happy to oblige you in throwing out bundled peripherals as well.
is your sanity...

Offline alegoicoe

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 07, 2011, 06:26:28 PM »
I am officially pissed of at Nintendo, and I'm never mad at them. I have the battery add on, so it probably wouldn't even work on my 3DS unless I switch batteries.  The only way I will ever get this is if there is HUGE support for it, not including FPS games.

Am with you on that, i have never been mad at nintendo, but this is a cheap shot.
Nintendo Network ID: LivByDCreed
Switch Friend Code: SW-4906-9561-1308

Offline Bman87301

• AtGames Defender
  • Score: -10
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 07, 2011, 06:40:37 PM »
Something just occurred to me... It's pretty guaranteed to include its own battery, otherwise how would the circle pad get power? Since you can clearly tell from the picture it doesn't use the SD slot, it definitely connects wirelessly. And if it's wireless it can't draw power from the system.

Offline Chocobo_Rider

• Embrace the status quo.
  • Score: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 07, 2011, 07:13:12 PM »
Something just occurred to me... It's pretty guaranteed to include its own battery, otherwise how would the circle pad get power? Since you can clearly tell from the picture it doesn't use the SD slot, it definitely connects wirelessly. And if it's wireless it can't draw power from the system.

meaning you'd have to keep track of a SEPARATE charge for the add-on? wowzers.  I am dying to play some upcoming 3DS games, but I'm waiting for the new model. that's for sure.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 07, 2011, 07:16:44 PM »
For everyone b!tching, lets take a little history tour at Nintendo peripherals.

Last time I checked, every peripheral Nintendo has released has come bundled with at least one of their games.  So it's not like Nintendo has ripped anyone off since any game they release that will require it will have it bundled in so everyone can play it.
Besides the slide pad add-on looking like ass, I'm not one of the people bitching about this. Like I said in another post, I'm okay with it existing even if I don't plan on supporting it. I'm not salty as a current 3DS owner and eventually I plan on buying a redesign, 2nd slide pad or not 2nd slide pad. However, I can see why people don't like this and I'd like to offer a counterpoint. All of the things you mentioned are peripherals for home consoles. Add a toaster and a Guy Fawkes mask to the controller or console for extra fun and functionality but it's still generally meant to stay in people's homes. I believe a major point of contention for this thing is that it makes 3DS significantly less portable. It'd be like Apple offering a glove sized and shaped attachment for the iPhone 4 to get 4G. It's not necessary for the hardware to function but it's a desirable enough feature that's awkwardly implemented.

Offline Bman87301

• AtGames Defender
  • Score: -10
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 07, 2011, 07:36:23 PM »
meaning you'd have to keep track of a SEPARATE charge for the add-on? wowzers.  I am dying to play some upcoming 3DS games, but I'm waiting for the new model. that's for sure.

I think it's far more likely that the battery that comes with it will replace the current 3DS battery and will power BOTH.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 07:40:52 PM by Bman87301 »

Offline Discostew

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 07, 2011, 08:43:45 PM »
Supposedly, the peripheral shown in the magazine is only a prototype made by Nintendo that is being put to use by Capcom for developing MH3G.  If that is true, then we might see them redesign the addon (maybe making it a bit more pretty), considering MH3G won't go retail for months.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #72 on: September 07, 2011, 11:26:28 PM »
They almost have to redesign it. I don't think I've seen one positive opinion about the looks of that thing.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 07, 2011, 11:41:25 PM »
You could have sold it on ebay or gave it to someone you know who might be able to use it.

...I had to look to see if eBay was even around with DK64 was released... :D
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 08, 2011, 03:12:28 PM »
I think this add-on is strictly for Monster Hunter: so Capcom can release it multi-platorm, on 3DS and Vita.
MH is a huge seller for Capcom in Japan and Nintendo probably approached Capcom for some of that selling power, hoping that MH on 3DS will help to sell more 3DS units. So, it will be 3DS exclusive for awhile then ported to Vita. That's my prediction.
I don't think the peripheral will get any more traction than that and I certainly don't think a hardware redesign is around the corner for 3DS.

I also still think the peripheral story could be entirely fake.
Oui, Mon Gars!