Author Topic: Nintendo Sued Over 3DS Screen Patent  (Read 2733 times)

Offline NWR_Karlie

• twitter.com/JonLindemann
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
Nintendo Sued Over 3DS Screen Patent
« on: July 07, 2011, 07:00:30 PM »

The latest lawsuit against Nintendo is for glasses-free 3D as seen on Nintendo 3DS.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/27143

Tomita Technologies USA LLC have filed suit against Nintendo for infringement of their patent for a stereoscopic (3D) system that displays images on screen for viewing with the naked eye.

The company, founded by a former Sony engineer, is saying that the Nintendo 3DS infringes on their patent for technologies relating to display of 3D images for viewing without the need for special glasses. The patent was filed in 2003 and issued in August 2008 and is titled “Stereoscopic Image Picking Up and Display System Based Upon Optical Axes Cross-Point Information.” 

The complaint does not say in detail how the 3DS infringes on the patent, though it does state that the method of displaying 3D by using two outer cameras would not be possible without willfully infringing on the patent.

Re: Nintendo Sued Over 3DS Screen Patent
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2011, 07:33:19 PM »
Lol it begins again.  Is there a video game company that has been sued more than Nintendo has over the last 25 years?

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2011, 07:36:25 PM »
Not to mention Nintendo shouldn't be the one liable for this.  Should be the screens manafacturer.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2011, 08:08:44 PM »
Iwata was mentioning in his letter to shareholders the litigious nature of these bullshit people
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2011, 08:28:00 PM »
Let me guess, another patent squatter who patents technologies and then sit on their asses until somebody actually comes up with the tech on their own and uses it, then sues the company to either get a settlement or royalties. A quick Google search shows nothing other than websites reporting this lawsuit, have they actually done anything?
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2011, 08:52:32 PM »
Good thing I got my patent for a time machine in early. Come 2050, I'm going to make BANK.

Offline KITT 10K

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2011, 08:54:14 PM »
Sounds like someone who's too damn lazy to get off their ass and do some REAL work. So they're trying this crap.

Offline Flipster

• Score: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2011, 11:18:56 PM »
Good thing I got my patent for a time machine in early. Come 2050, I'm going to make BANK.

Once the prototype of my Time Machine is completed I'm coming back to eliminate the events which lead to you getting that patent...

Anyways this whole lawsuit interests me, I wonder if it has any weight behind it and is a solid case at all?

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2011, 11:57:47 PM »
Tech and Software patents are given by idiots who don't know the industry.  Doubly linked lists got patented... Its the logical next step from Linked Lists.  Its obvious...
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline NeoThunder

• Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2011, 01:52:26 PM »
I'm gonna patent "thumb up my ass" technology.  So nobody infridge upon that cause i thought of it first
Wii# 4120-9638-2308-7614
<BR>
<BR>Mario Kart# 3178-8705-8094
<BR>
<BR>Faith is the complete surrender and acceptence of total control

Offline Munch

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2011, 03:32:47 PM »
There are always those idiots out there who try to piggyback on the success of others when they make it big. It's like money is the only thing that matters these days- people are too dang greedy, so they mooch off of others. Remember the Chili Finger 'Incident' at Wendy's? Or how many times Facebook has been sued? And even Nintendo. It's human nature- someone will ALWAYS get sued whenever new technology is invented. People are dumb like that.... :/

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2011, 04:49:10 AM »
Let me guess, another patent squatter who patents technologies and then sit on their asses until somebody actually comes up with the tech on their own and uses it, then sues the company to either get a settlement or royalties. A quick Google search shows nothing other than websites reporting this lawsuit, have they actually done anything?

I believe the technical term is patent troll.