Author Topic: The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D Impressions  (Read 8658 times)

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D Impressions
« on: May 11, 2011, 08:00:00 PM »

A fixed Water Temple, mirrored Master Quest, boss challenge, and more await.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/impressions/26282

Following up after my previous playtime, Nintendo invited me back to check out the new additions to their Ocarina of Time remake, coming out June 19 in North America.

The primary location I played was the infamous Water Temple. Traversing the labyrinthine level originally required repeated trips to the pause menu to equip and remove the Iron Boots. Now the boots can be assigned to a button, making switching easy, and the whole experience is no longer an exercise in tedium. The ocarina song menu is now touch-based as well, and songs can be played while the menu is open. Additionally, the walls in the Water Temple have been color-coded to help players keep their bearings.

I also had a chance to return to Jabu-Jabu's Belly -- in the Master Quest mode, mysterious cow heads and all. The Master Quest is unlocked after beating the game. A new option appears after the title screen, and the Master Quest includes its own set of three save slots separate from the regular version's three. While including the dungeons from the GameCube version's Master Quest, the entire world is also mirrored. And like the Wii version of Twilight Princess, even Link is mirrored, a point explicitly made as a 3D model right-handed Link with Master Sword in hand greets players who enter the mode. Enemies also do double damage, making the quest much more challenging.

There are a few other additions to the game. For instance, Link can now "talk" to his bed in Kokiri Forest. Here, he can take a nap to replenish health. He can also enter the boss challenge mode, where he can fight any boss he has previously defeated. The best times are saved for each boss, and once they are all defeated, the ultimate challenge, a boss gauntlet mode appears, where Link must defeat all of the bosses in sequence.

Finally, new colored Gossip Stones called Sheikah Stones are scattered throughout the world and channel "visions" to Link. Specifically, they act as a hint system, showing short pre-recorded movie clips providing varying levels of hints as to what Link needs to do in certain situations. The system isn't as in depth as the Super Guide, instead intended to jog players' memories and provide subtle hints.

Primarily through the touch screen additions, the Zelda experience is more streamlined, though I still have some reservations with the mostly unimproved camera system. Coupled with the graphical enhancements and extra modes, the game is more enjoyable and treads closer to the original vision for the game as seen through its artwork, while keeping the essence of the game the same. Ocarina of Time 3D launches worldwide in June.

Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline AV

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
Re: The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D Impressions
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2011, 08:39:01 PM »
I hate to encourage Nintendo and rebuy this......

Offline TurdFurgy

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2011, 08:40:23 PM »
I don't care what anybody says, I'm as giddy as a school girl about this game.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2011, 09:21:20 PM »
Is the graphical discrepancies in the earlier builds still in here?  Is it Pretty Link and Friends and everyone else N64?
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline TalesOfFan

• "This is no Zaku boy, no Zaku!"
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2011, 10:31:37 PM »
This will finally make my 3DS purchase worthwhile. This will be my first time playing OoT, I cannot wait.
James Dawson
Staff Writer, Nintendo World Report

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2011, 10:43:37 PM »
I didn't find the Water Temple difficult or annoying. Believe me, I'm not bragging considering I got stuck on the Forest Temple for about a month because I missed the eye switch that untwisted the hallway. An entire month... Adrock for the loss.....

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2011, 10:43:59 PM »
Is the graphical discrepancies in the earlier builds still in here?  Is it Pretty Link and Friends and everyone else N64?
Everyone else is better than N64, not just model-wise, but also with added things like animations. However, I do feel they could have done better.

I didn't find the Water Temple difficult or annoying. Believe me, I'm not bragging considering I got stuck on the Forest Temple for about a month because I missed the eye switch that untwisted the hallway. An entire month... Adrock for the loss.....
It was particularly a problem on the GC port due to the delay in bringing up the pause menu.
Aaron Kaluszka

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2011, 10:53:50 PM »
It was particularly a problem on the GC port due to the delay in bringing up the pause menu.
Well, that's because you're playing it on the wrong system, sir. Get N or get out.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2011, 01:50:57 AM »
Constantly going to the sub-screen was an issue even on N64. However, I always thought it was even worse in Majora's Mask, for the long vertical climb preceding the Stone Temple. It requires playing the statue-creating song in each of Link's multiple forms, and the whole process is incredibly tedious thanks to the mask-switching and repetitive song input.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline SilverQuilava

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2011, 08:35:54 AM »
Wow, Nintendo didn't disappoint. I was hoping for a Boss Challenge mode! ...Too bad Cave Story couldn't get it completely right.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2011, 09:23:31 AM »
This will finally make my 3DS purchase worthwhile. This will be my first time playing OoT, I cannot wait.
You're in for a treat if you never played it before.  Its one of those games everyone should play at least once.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline Killer_Man_Jaro

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2011, 11:14:47 AM »
I already own this game three different ways (N64 cartridge, Master Quest disc and Collection disc), so I think I'm okay with skipping the 3DS remake. Maybe a while down the road when I can get it for £10 or something.

The Sheikah Stone visions feature is intriguing. I remember when Miyamoto first mentioned trying to integrate the Super Guide idea into Zelda games and everybody freaked out. This actually seems like quite an elegant solution - it doesn't do anything for you or even tell you outright what to do, but rather it just gives hints. Presumably, Skyward Sword will be adopting something similar.
Tom Malina
UK Correspondent
-----------------------------
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2011, 12:14:21 PM »
In A Link to the Past the fortune teller acts as a hint system.  The key thing is that it costs money and the hints are subtle.  I know they were trying to shoehorn a hint system here into a game that never had it but I like a subtle "fortune" way of doing it versus blantantly hitting you over the head and telling you what to do.

The Super Guide is something that can only be done in a game but the irony is that games are more and more dumbed down regarding puzzles when we're in the age of Gamefaqs.  Anybody can easily look up the answer if they are stuck without the answer being put in the game itself.  Hint systems are completely unnecessary in this day and age.  Meanwhile back when games were often ridiculously obtuse there was no internet to look up the answer.

I think the sweet spot was in the 16 bit era where game puzzles had become logical enough that one could be expected to figure them out on their own while at the same time they were not yet telling you blantantly how to solve it.  We've overcompensated, going from obtuse puzzles that make so sense at all to essentially not having puzzles at all since the answer is given to you.  I guess you could say the same thing about difficulty as well.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2011, 12:17:48 PM »
In A Link to the Past the fortune teller acts as a hint system.  The key thing is that it costs money and the hints are subtle.  I know they were trying to shoehorn a hint system here into a game that never had it but I like a subtle "fortune" way of doing it versus blantantly hitting you over the head and telling you what to do.

The Super Guide is something that can only be done in a game but the irony is that games are more and more dumbed down regarding puzzles when we're in the age of Gamefaqs.  Anybody can easily look up the answer if they are stuck without the answer being put in the game itself.  Hint systems are completely unnecessary in this day and age.  Meanwhile back when games were often ridiculously obtuse there was no internet to look up the answer.

I think the sweet spot was in the 16 bit era where game puzzles had become logical enough that one could be expected to figure them out on their own while at the same time they were not yet telling you blantantly how to solve it.  We've overcompensated, going from obtuse puzzles that make so sense at all to essentially not having puzzles at all since the answer is given to you.  I guess you could say the same thing about difficulty as well.
Play Portal 2 and give me your thoughts on how it does puzzles.

Offline Bman87301

• AtGames Defender
  • Score: -10
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2011, 02:16:27 PM »
I know they were trying to shoehorn a hint system here into a game that never had it but I like a subtle "fortune" way of doing it versus blantantly hitting you over the head and telling you what to do.

A game that never had it? Um, OoT actually had two hint systems (Navi and Saria). Both functioned in the same manner as ALttP's fortune teller except they were free.

Since adding a third seems like overkill, perhaps Navi's unsolicited hinting (which was always a major complaint among players) will be removed and these new Gossip Stones are to replace it since so many found it so annoying.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 02:46:53 PM by Bman87301 »

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2011, 05:38:46 PM »
A game that never had it? Um, OoT actually had two hint systems (Navi and Saria). Both functioned in the same manner as ALttP's fortune teller except they were free.

How the hell did I forget about Navi?  Maybe it's like a suppressed memory - too traumatic to remember. ;)

Well this is totally overkill then.  Navi pretty much grabs the player every five minutes and says "YOU DO THIS NOW!" and tells you exactly where to go next.  If you can't figure out what Navi hints at you to do, you should never bother with the Zelda series.

What I found sucky about Navi is that she seemed utterly counterintuitive to Zelda gameplay.  Hey Nintendo, if I haven't gone to the next dungeon yet it isn't because I'm too stupid to figure it out.  It's a Zelda game so I'm doing all the non-linear exploration I can before I have no choice but to go to the next dungeon.  That's how Zelda rolls.  You get a new item that opens up new areas and secrets so you check them out.  If you're fucking around the overworld and taking your sweet time to get on with the quest, you are playing Zelda RIGHT!  That's the whole fucking point!  Same with Metroid.

I often wonder if how we play Nintendo games and how Nintendo wishes we play their games are totally different.  So Metroid and Zelda become more straighforward and linear and the open world gameplay we all loved was an accident and not at all what Nintendo envisioned.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2011, 05:41:24 PM »
This is the kind of thing that the visions would be helpful with.
Aaron Kaluszka

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2011, 05:45:17 PM »
Wait... Why in the Youtube is it showing WW Japanese Box?

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2011, 05:47:03 PM »
It was explaining that Master Quest was originally included on the Ocarina of Time bonus disc that came from pre-ordering Wind Waker.
Aaron Kaluszka

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2011, 10:53:32 PM »
It was explaining that Master Quest was originally included on the Ocarina of Time bonus disc that came from pre-ordering Wind Waker.
Ok.  That WW box was very busy.

« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2011, 06:33:55 PM »
Colored-coded walls in the Water Temple?  I don't know if I like the sound of that.  I didn't have as much trouble with the Water Temple as a lot of people apparently did, having beaten OOT six times.  It was a tough temple, but not that tough I didn't think.  Anyway, this game is a no-brainer buy for me whenever I end up getting a 3DS.  Woot woot!

Offline Nemo

• View Profile
    • Game Sprite Archives
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2011, 01:47:18 AM »
The first time I played through Ocarina of Time, I got stuck on the water temple. I spent lots of time trying to figure out what to do next and couldn't figure it out. I eventually assumed I must have opened up the wrong locked door or something... something that made the water temple unbeatable. So I restarted the game. Once I got back to the water temple, I found the key I couldn't find before. (I think it was in the "shaft" middle section of the temple, if you follow the area I'm trying to describe.)

Anyway, I don't think colored walls would have helped me any.

Also, this is why it was awesome how the first game let you buy extra keys at shops (or use keys from one dungeon in another).
-the Game Sprite Archives-
http://www.gsarchives.net

Offline NintendoFanboy

• Score: -15
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2011, 10:14:49 AM »
Nintendo power said they gave the ocarina its own touch screen button so u dont
have to equip it to use it. Just hit the touch button, little improvements like that will make
this great game greater.
Have mine preordered, for months now.