Author Topic: Backlaugust 2021: Round 2: Electric Boogaloo  (Read 28309 times)

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
Re: Backlaugust 2021: Round 2: Electric Boogaloo
« Reply #75 on: September 01, 2021, 01:47:44 AM »
Well, I do have a couple buzzer beaters to add to my total.

Hello Kitty Roller Rescue for GameCube has been beaten and Rayman Raving Rabbids for the Wii has also been beat. Not sure it was worth pushing myself to focus on this the past four days as I've let all kinds of things pile up now like dishes, laundry, harassing my internet provider to give me a better deal.

In a little bit of hilarity, I also booted up Super Bomberman R for Switch to see if I could possibly get it done tonight also. I started the game on August 31st last year and got through the first couple planets. Here I am returning to it a year later but I won't be able to get it done. Perhaps next year will finally be the time I can complete it. Too bad. Perhaps I should have gotten to it instead of Metroid Prime 3 this month.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 01, 2021, 12:17:47 PM »
Here's where the month currently stands:

7 Games Beat Club

Khushrenada - Skyward Sword Wii, Edge 3DS, Super Mario Party, Jenny LeClue Detectivu, Clubhouse Games 51 Worldwide Classics, Rayman Raving Rabbids, Hello Kitty: Roller Rescue

6 Games Beat Club

RABicle - Burnout Paradise Remastered, Fire Emblem Heroes, Orwell, The Longing, New Pokemon Snap, FAR: Lone Sails

5 Games Beat Club

Mr. Bungle - Mega Man Zero, Maze Walker, Mighty Switch Force 2, Splatoon 2, Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams

4 Games Beat Club

Broodwars - Katamari Damacy Reroll, Yakuza: Like a Dragon, Panzer Paladin, Tormented Souls

2 Games Beat Club

Luigi Dude - Cosmic Star Heroine, Onimusha Remastered
TOPHATANT123 - Astral Chain, Suikoden

1 Game Beat Club

GK - Horizon Chase Turbo
Insanolord - Metroid: Samus Returns
Pokepal148 - Chibi-Robo Clean Sweep

Total Games so far: 29

If anyone else on the forums has some games they beat for August to add to the total then please try and post about them in the next couple days. By end of Friday, I'm moving on. Four games away from the 30 mark. You'd think we'd have had other users beat a game or two that they could get added to this list.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2021, 10:13:40 AM by Khushrenada »

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 01, 2021, 03:51:05 PM »
For those curious, here's what I've played for Backlaugust:

Anodyne
I bought this when it was on sale for 99 cents because it appeared to be inspired by The Legend of Zelda games. The 8-bit style feels more in line with Game Boy games than NES for a few reasons, including that characters are made up of few pixels and the tile grids are fairly small, sometimes causing rooms to feel a little cramped. The adventure is more bite-sized too, as throughout it the boy only ever gains two tools, leaving most progression gated by keys and switches. There's some decent exploration as the game opens up, but combat and puzzles usually remain pretty simple. The story and world lean towards the more drab and abstract side. I know there's symbolism in here, but as far as I can figure out, there's no cohesive whole or meaning to the plot else than what's already implied by the game's title: a drug-induced trip, fighting manifestations of the kid's issues, thoughts, and feelings.

Overall, simple isn't bad, so it was decent enough for the price. I noticed there's a sequel though, and I'm not sure I'd play it unless it offers more variety.
Scored: 6.5/10

Bouncy Bob
I'm pretty sure I got this for 1 cent, and it shows. It's like a terrible version of Joust, and Joust is already not very good. I'm guessing it's a port of a mobile game, as the control is simply using the A button to jump. Holding it not only jumps farther, but brings up an arrow that tilts back and fourth as its means of moving left or right, making for an annoyingly little amount of control. It's a high-score game where the goal is to defeat as many enemies as possible in one life, and achieving a certain score will unlock the next awful arena, each one likely inspired by someone's vision of purgatory. Unfortunately, it was the final game I played so I rounded out Backlaugust with a real stinker that's easily the worst of the bunch, but c'est la vie.
Scored: 2/10

EQQO
Ummmm this might be another freebie or maybe it was a few cents. It's a short little point-'n-click style adventure game about a blind boy and a god egg, as told by his mother who can (as the player's perspective) direct him and interact with the environment. The puzzles mainly involve hitting switches and figuring how to get the boy carrying the egg to the next area / room, but they remain pretty simple throughout and never get very challenging. There are sometimes shadow creatures that try to swipe the egg during the times when the boy needs to slip through gates by himself to open the path forward, providing a bit of tension to more quickly get the switches in order and throwing things at them to delay them. The story itself is decent and the voice acting of the narration is well done. Overall, not a bad little game, but not particularly satisfying as a point-'n-click goes.
Scored: 6.5/10

Journey of the Broken Circle
I'm pretty sure I got this one for free from owning one of the publisher's other games. It's a simple little platformer about a circle searching for its missing piece, which as you've probably guessed, is an obvious allegory for relationships. The characters met along the way are placed into the slot and have an ability, which helps add some variety to the levels, but it's never very challenging else when the physics get a bit wonky. The story it tells is decent and is probably relatable to a lot of people, but I felt the writing is a bit too matter-of-fact and didn't have enough subtlety. The graphics are too minimalistic for my tastes. It isn't a bad game, but not really my kinda thing.
Scored: 5/10

Trine
I got the collection on Switch back in a holiday sale, but never got around to them until now. We tackled it in 3-player co-op, which appears to be the way these games are meant to be played. It's certainly a hoot in that setting, figuring out the best ways to cooperate which often just means not getting into each other's way. As a physics-based platformer there's plenty of ways for things to go hilariously wrong, though I could see this game being a bit of a pain in single player with some of the (unintended?) weird physics quirks. The abilities and level design feel largely rudimentary, so my hope is that the sequels expanded on these aspects. The graphics are pretty good and nicely-detailed, though it feels a little drab for an enchanted magical fantasy. We may play through one or more of the other games before the end of August, as well.
Scored: 7.5/10

Tumblestone
I remember being interested in this when I heard about it way back on the Wii U, but never pulled the trigger until it hit $1.99 on Switch. Unlike most match-3 puzzlers, this one isn't action-based, with instead having the goal of clearing the play field of all blocks; it's a nice change of pace. The story mode is surprising lengthy, I wonder if too much, though it does introduce a new obstacle or gameplay wrinkle in each world to shake things up and try to keep them fresh. The story itself is simple and mostly nonsensical, but was sometimes worth a laugh just from being incredibly stupid. I noticed that the Wii U version had online play, but the Switch one doesn't; seems like an odd exclusion, but I doubt I would have tried it anyway.
Scored: 8/10

The Way Remastered
This is made as an homage to PC side-scrolling adventure games of the 90s. With the "remastered" in the title, I actually wondered if it were an old PC game brought back until I looked it up after finishing it, which I s'pose is high praise for what they attempted to achieve. It takes a while for the protagonist to gain some abilities, but once the game reaches that point it provides some nice puzzle challenges. I felt like it ended right before everything came together for one last elaborate puzzle that utilized all abilities to their fullest, though. The platforming sections can quickly be a pain due to the stiff controls and the man's weak knees, being unable to survive more than a five foot drop, but fortunately there are frequent checkpoints. The story is simple but decent. Overall, it seems like a good throwback, but probably not really my kind of thing.
Scored: 6/10

Yoku's Island Express
Its mix of platforming and pinball mechanics works pretty well, and I like that it focuses mainly on exploration and discovery without having to worry about survival. The world feels thoughtfully designed and there's some wonderful and varied artwork in the various different sections of the island. With that said, the game shows some cracks at times during backtracking, since certain sections can be a pain to go through multiple times. Playing out the main adventure was definitely the best experience, while tracking down all collectibles wasn't always fun, and I ended with looking up how to nab the last few goodies. Overall, I enjoyed the game, but I can't help but wonder if I would have preferred it as a linear level-based platformer...
Scored: 8.5/10

Yooka-Laylee
This was one of the first games I had started playing on Xbox Game Pass, so it was before I was familiar with the way it handles games leaving the service. I had collected around half of the game's goodies, and luckily it was in this month's second batch of Gold games, so I decided to pick up where I left off and bring it home.

With all of the complaints and negative reactions I'd seen for this title, I went into it with pretty low expectations, which probably ended up working out for me. Overall, I ended up enjoying the game as a throwback N64 platformer, and while I probably wouldn't argue against the first world being the best and most-realised, I felt the second and third ones were quite good as well. The fourth and fifth start to fall apart a bit, particularly the fifth where it's tough to keep track of everything without notable landmarks, but they still have their moments. There's a nice variety of activities throughout the worlds to keep things interesting, utilising many of the duo's moves in one form or another. The best part was when first starting out in a world, as I could explore it in any direction and there was lots to discover and see. Things did start to feel a bit of a pain when it came down to there being only a few collectibles left in a huge world, with no real indication of where to look; the first world is the only one I completed on me own, the rest I looked up a video to locate the last few goodies. However, I can't think of a solution to this problem which doesn't ruin the spirit of the game.

With that said, I don't think the game lives up to the Banjo-Kazooie pedigree, and it wasn't unrealistic for people to expect as much given it's many of the same people. It feels more like an evolution of Banjo-Tooie, which I personally loved but I know most BK fans didn't, which I actually find kind of surprising. I would have thought the devs would also know what fans like about the original over the sequel, and instead of these huge sprawling worlds of YL, they'd design smaller compact worlds like those in BK. The game doesn't have the same charm either; there aren't enough unique visual landmarks in most worlds and characters are very stiff and non-expressive. I guess this is the problem with the devs not continuing to make platformers in the years between BK and now, and didn't hone their craft.

I s'pose that leaves me with some mixed feelings; I feel it failed as a Banjo-Kazooie successor, but still succeeds as an N64 throwback platformer in general. Since I knew it was going to do the former, I could still enjoy it as the latter.
Scored: 8.5/10

I was thinking about it, and perhaps I'll also count Quake as a completed game as well. Technically I've played a version of this game on the Nintendo 64, but I've never played the PC version, which is the newest release. We not only played the main game in co-op, but also the included expansions as well, though I won't be counting those as separate games. What a wild 'n crazy game, these classic shooters are certainly something else!
Scored: 9/10

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 01, 2021, 04:48:41 PM »
Wait, just a minute here!! There's something very suspicious about this list!

Myself, I'm lenient and pretty much accept anything that wasn't released / bought during August regardless of any other circumstance.

I was thinking about it, and perhaps I'll also count Quake as a completed game as well. Technically I've played a version of this game on the Nintendo 64, but I've never played the PC version, which is the newest release. We not only played the main game in co-op, but also the included expansions as well, though I won't be counting those as separate games. What a wild 'n crazy game, these classic shooters are certainly something else!
Scored: 9/10

The Quake Remaster/Rerelease just happened in the later half of August! Look how quickly the "rules" are abandoned when those in charge want to inflate their game count for the month. Oh, the humanity hypocrisy!  ;D  ;)

Congrats on reaching double digits and getting through ten games. Now that the month is over, I'm regretting that I let the opportunity to get to ten and double digits slip away myself. If I hadn't taken my time with Skyward Sword and a bunch of evenings where I didn't do any gaming in the first half of the month then I think can think of a few more titles I could have probably squeezed in time for. I got more serious about it over the last couple weeks and started wondering if I could pull off the feat of hitting that mark before Sept. 1 but I run out of time. If I didn't have the mindset of thinking I was only going to have one or two games for the month because of Zelda then maybe I wouldn't have been so lackadaisical during the first half of the month in my gaming. I shall remember this for next year.

Although for next year, maybe it should Negative World vs Nintendo World Report vs Pietriots because RAB and I are currently responsible for half the games beat this year and we were responsible for like 60% of last year's total. PIETRIOTS are the true MVP's of Backlaugust.  8)  ;)
« Last Edit: September 01, 2021, 04:50:15 PM by Khushrenada »

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 01, 2021, 05:53:53 PM »
You're right, I should have worded it as "first release" since re-releases are allowed. But it's too late, now it looks like backpedaling! Oops!

Perhaps you, RABicle, and me should form our own super team next year, just majorly crush all these schlubs. Maybe see if we can get Luigi Dude going again too, then we'd really be nigh unbeatable!

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 01, 2021, 06:46:05 PM »
You're right, I should have worded it as "first release" since re-releases are allowed. But it's too late, now it looks like backpedaling! Oops!

It's a good thing I'm even less of a stickler and say a person should be able to count any game and any version so long as they haven't played it yet before. So, if you bought a game in July or August 31 and beat it before the month was over, I say it can still count because you are keeping it out of your backlog instead of adding to it. Likewise, if a person beat Kirby's DreamLand 3 on their Super Nintendo years ago but then beat KDL3 for the first time in something like Kirby's 25th Anniversary Collection for Wii during August then I say that counts as well.  8)  Basically, I'm cool with you counting Quake for your month's totals if you want to. I just like to take the Waluigi Defense and claim that "everyone's cheating" if I'm not number one.  ;D

Perhaps you, RABicle, and me should form our own super team next year, just majorly crush all these schlubs. Maybe see if we can get Luigi Dude going again too, then we'd really be nigh unbeatable!

Hahaha, YES! We'll take on the whole internet and win!!!!

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 01, 2021, 07:46:33 PM »
Even if we don't count Quake, you'd still have to come up with excuses to disqualify two other games, and even then, that'd just be a tie!

Yeah, people have made that same argument before to count August new releases, and it does make a certain amount of sense. But I don't make the rules, I just, uh... something... with them.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 01, 2021, 09:08:35 PM »

It's a good thing I'm even less of a stickler and say a person should be able to count any game and any version so long as they haven't played it yet before. So, if you bought a game in July or August 31 and beat it before the month was over, I say it can still count because you are keeping it out of your backlog instead of adding to it. Likewise, if a person beat Kirby's DreamLand 3 on their Super Nintendo years ago but then beat KDL3 for the first time in something like Kirby's 25th Anniversary Collection for Wii during August then I say that counts as well.  8)  Basically, I'm cool with you counting Quake for your month's totals if you want to. I just like to take the Waluigi Defense and claim that "everyone's cheating" if I'm not number one.  ;D

Well, if that's how you want to roll, then add Tormented Souls to my count, a game that came out last Friday and I beat over the weekend. :P

I actually started playing Deadly Premonition 2 in the final few days of August, but there was no way in hell I was going to wrap that by the end of August. Likewise, I put a few days' worth of progress into the PS5 version of Hades in August, but I haven't had a successful run yet.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2021, 09:14:41 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 01, 2021, 11:53:37 PM »
I'm just waiting for Luigi Dude to show up in the next day or two and post about how he's completed a whole bunch of older games like the Mega Man series via anniversary collections.

I actually played both Mega Man Classic Collections back in April, of course they wouldn't have counted anyway since I've already beaten all 10 of those games.  But your predictions isn't too far from what I tried to do.  My plan was to play R-Type 1+2 on the R-Type Dimensions for Switch and then play all the Gradius game on the Konami Arcade Collection.  R-Type 1 in particular I've been trying to beat since I first played the TurboGrafx version on the Wii Virtual Console back in 2007 but I not been able too.

Sadly, I've spent the last 2 weeks on just R-Type 1 and still haven't been able to beat it.  Now I could just the Infinite setting on Dimensions which would respawn my ship after I die so I could just brute force my way, but that's the easy way out.  I need to beat it on the Classic setting for me to finally be satisfied.  Now yesterday I almost came close, but made a stupid mistake on the second to last level and was too tired to continue.

For the entire month I did complete two games earlier in it that were on my Switch backlog.

Cosmic Star Heroine

Was a fun indie RPG that's a nice call back to 16-bit games like Chrono Trigger and Phantasy Star.  The battle system was pretty engaging and I liked the setting.  The story was pretty generic and the character not very deep, but for an RPG that took less then 20 hours to 100%, I didn't mind.  Of course I think the developers ran out money toward the end since the last planet you visit is noticeably shorter then the previous ones.  The gameplay also kind of falls about since they give you 2 ridiculously over powered characters, and the main characters gains some abilities that are completely broken around this time as well.  Outside of the optional Hard dungeon, (which I really enjoyed since it was fun figuring out how to make the most overpowered attacks I could to beat the super strong enemies), the rest was a cakewalk after this point.  Still, as a throwback to older RPG's, the overall game was pretty fun.

Onimusha Remastered

I remember back in High School a friend of mine telling me this series was like Resident Evil except with Demons, and now I see why.  I tried to like the old school Resident Evil games back then but just couldn't because of the tank controls.  That's one of the reasons I loved Resident Evil 4 so much because the changes to the controls finally made the series playable to me.  The first Onimusha for the PS2 had those pre-RE4 tank controls, which I didn't like but the Remaster that I played on Switch does let you use analog controls so the game was instantly more playable.  Of course the problem is the analog controls completely broke the difficulty so the overall game ended up being pretty easy.  Still I enjoyed the setting and atmosphere so it was an overall enjoyable experience.

Of course what the **** was up with that water puzzle?  The remaster could have at least put a checkpoint right before that, or at the very least give the ability to skip cutscenes.  Almost stopped playing because of how BS that part of the game was.

So overall not a lot of backlog cleared, but part of that is because I was playing Blaster Master Zero 3 at the beginning of the month which was a new game, and my Captain Ahab obsession with finally completely R-Type 1 and total failure to do so during these last 2 weeks.  Of course trying to beat R-Type 1 has caused me to finally change my sleep cycle to get more sleep at night since anything less then 8 hours and I can't even get halfway through since my reaction time is so dulled.  Hopefully if I can make myself physically healthier, I'll finally beat this game and will be able to beat other harder games a lot quicker as well.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 02, 2021, 10:17:09 AM »
I've added Luigi Dude and Broodwar's games to the list. (Although I'm actually not the one running this so I guess pokepal148 can still make the call of whether he thinks Broodwar's last entry of Tormented Souls counts.  :-\ )

One away from 30! (Although if we include Mop it up's ten games then we are 1 away from 40. This whole thing can be very confusing. :o )

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 02, 2021, 10:19:52 AM »
Of course trying to beat R-Type 1 has caused me to finally change my sleep cycle to get more sleep at night since anything less then 8 hours and I can't even get halfway through since my reaction time is so dulled.  Hopefully if I can make myself physically healthier, I'll finally beat this game and will be able to beat other harder games a lot quicker as well.

Looks like Pokemon Sleep missed its opportunity and R-Type 1 has taken its place for helping gamers get the sleep they need. Thanks for nothing, Game Freak! Hope you have sweet dreams IN HELL, Pikachu!  >:(

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 02, 2021, 05:03:14 PM »
Wow, congrats to everyone, that's a huge pile beaten in one month!
Got nothing to contribute myself, all I wound up doing this month is downloading the WarioWare demo and not playing it.

Tumblestone
I remember being interested in this when I heard about it way back on the Wii U, but never pulled the trigger until it hit $1.99 on Switch. Unlike most match-3 puzzlers, this one isn't action-based, with instead having the goal of clearing the play field of all blocks; it's a nice change of pace. The story mode is surprising lengthy, I wonder if too much, though it does introduce a new obstacle or gameplay wrinkle in each world to shake things up and try to keep them fresh. The story itself is simple and mostly nonsensical, but was sometimes worth a laugh just from being incredibly stupid. I noticed that the Wii U version had online play, but the Switch one doesn't; seems like an odd exclusion, but I doubt I would have tried it anyway.
Scored: 8/10

This is a pretty good game, yeah! I never finished it because it went on way too long like you say. Personally I found the writing deeply grating too, but the core gameplay is very solid. At a price like that I'd recommend it, it was like $25 on Wii U back in the day.

Offline M.K.Ultra

• is late to the party
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
    • Games I'm Playing
« Reply #87 on: September 02, 2021, 07:43:22 PM »
This is a pretty good game, yeah! I never finished it because it went on way too long like you say. Personally I found the writing deeply grating too, but the core gameplay is very solid. At a price like that I'd recommend it, it was like $25 on Wii U back in the day.

Sadly I paid $25 for it. It came out in the middle of one of those famous Wii U droughts. I liked the gameplay and story mode but hit a wall about halfway through. I just couldn't see how to solve the puzzles without going through move by move and then reversing everything, which just wasn't fun. Maybe I just not smrt enough.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 08, 2021, 03:02:28 PM »
I guess we're going to stay one short of 30 (or 40 with Mop it up's playing of both sides). So close yet so far. Anyways, spent last weekend clearing up a couple things. Used a guide to quickly get the final pictures needed to complete the gallery in Jenny LeClue. I got 100% on the story mode for Rayman Raving Rabbids. There is the score mode but not worth it and it is broken anyways. Found out that Ubisoft programmed it so that you can't actually complete it or unlock all the bonuses. Such high quality Wii efforts from 3rd parties. Got a few outfits and videos to still unlock in Hello Kitty: Roller Rescue. Need to get an S rank on all the levels for one outfit. Might not normally bother with it but they don't seem to be that difficult to get since this is pretty much a game for young kids. :P  ;D  When Backlaugust ends then it is Sweep-up September as I try and wrap up a few objectives I set to the side in order to just beat a game.

However, the big one that didn't even count in Backlaugust is still Metroid Prime 3. Booted up MP3 Monday to try and finally finish it. First, you gotta go through a bunch of rooms on the planet Phaaze to get to the boss. Then I fought Dark Samus around 5 or 6 times and learned the patterns, took it down. Next up the Aurora Unit. Hadn't faced it in years and forgot it's patterns and attack. Ended up losing to it. Not a big deal, I figure. I'll just have to restart facing it and have good health again. Nope. I have to get through Dark Samus again.
Ugh.

Part of the difficulty in Hypermode is making you start over from the Dark Samus fight. Anyways, I do take down Dark Samus again. In fact, it felt easier. Then I take down the Aurora Unit but that's just it's first form. I then have to fight it's floating head and lose to that. Back to the Dark Samus fight.

At that point, my hands are starting to ache. Gripping the Wiimote and nunchuck too tight, I guess. Take a moment to stretch and give them a rest. Look up a video of the Head boss fight on YouTube to remind myself of what to do and what its attacks are. Unpause the game and go at it. Once again, take down Dark Samus. That boss no longer seems challenging. Not sure if the difficulty is lessoned on refacing it after beating it once but get through it again pretty quickly. Take my time with the Aurora Unit to get healing items from it that can be gained during the fight. Take it down. Back to the floating head. Have about 75% of my health still available. Pause to stretch my hands again. Go through its pattern of attacks in my head to be ready for when I get back at it. Resume game. Proceed to choke bad as I get hit constantly by a bunch of its attacks and lose again. Not today, I guess.

Shut off the game which I was hesitant to do since this will mean going through the planet Phaaze again. I think it had already been around two and a half hours and my hands were feeling it. (Don't really have that issue with most games. Last I can think of is MK7 on 3DS for longer sessions.) Heaven forbid a player could save just almost before the boss fight like the first two Prime games. So close to wrapping that thing up but thanks for making such a long three stage boss Retro! Great fun. Hate being right there at the bloody end and so close to ending it but having to redo things all over again. At least I've been making progress each time I've been playing it so I'm sure it's doable. I just hate the amount of time it's taking.