Author Topic: The Winter of 2cold4gamez! (community event)  (Read 79029 times)

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
The Winter of 2cold4gamez! (community event)
« on: February 17, 2021, 03:01:50 PM »
Beginning on Wednesday, Feburary 17th, I plan to stop buying new games for about a 40 day stretch which will end on Sunday, March 28th. This is an opportunity to focus on my backlog and appreciate the games I have instead of buying way too many games I'm never going to get around to as I often do. I would like to call upon others to do the same so we can make a fun community thing out of this.

I will not deny that this event is somewhat inspired by the Christian tradition of Lent, in which Christians embark on a symbolic 40 day journey through the desert by giving up something that's important to them. However, as many of you who are reading this know, religious discussion is banned on the Nintendo World Report forums. There is a time and a place for that kind of discussion and it is not in the Nintendo World Report Forums. If I did not believe that this could be a fun community event on it's own merits, than I wouldn't be proposing this idea.

How this works:

The idea is simple: Each person who signs up earns six points for the Nintendo World Report community. Any games purchased by someone who signed up for this between now and March 28th will cost the community three points. However, there is also a way to earn points. Should someone complete a game they already own, they will earn the community one point. I would like to turn this into an annual event so eventually we will have a sort of leaderboard to compare our current score to previous years and try to get new records and stuff like that. I think it'll be a fun time.

In the meantime, I'm going to set a preliminary goal for the community of 0 points. Let's see if we can hit that baseline.

Current sign ups:
Pokepal148
TOPHATANT123
Mr. Bungle
Lolmonade
Discord.RSS
« Last Edit: February 25, 2021, 09:04:16 PM by pokepal148 »

Offline TOPHATANT123

• Wear a hat that's foil lined in case an alien's inclined to probe your butt or read your mind
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
Re: The Winter of too cold for games! (community event)
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2021, 03:16:51 PM »
Love this idea, the wicked temptations of new games are a strong and powerful force.

I don't think I'm going to get the 6 pointer, but breaking even seems like a reasonable goal. Count me in.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2021, 05:32:08 PM »
I don't know. Nintendo of Europe announced this:

and I wouldn't be surprised if NA also has something like this occur after today's Direct. May want to start this next week.  ;)

As it stands, I can go long stretches without buying new games. Heck, last year I probably had 3 months+ of not buying any games. (So, give me all the points!) But as it stands right no, I've been thinking of buying some older titles off the used market this weekend so the timing period of this event will not work for me and I'll just be bringing things down to -21 if I sign up.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2021, 05:33:47 PM by Khushrenada »
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline M.K.Ultra

• is late to the party
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
    • Games I'm Playing
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2021, 10:32:57 PM »
I wanted to wait for the direct to make sure I could handle this and I think I can. Just to be clear I probably will buy a game or two but, I think I can cut back on my spending and definitely play more than three for every one I buy. With pre-orders should we count the date we pre-ordered it or the date it releases and we get charged?

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2021, 10:42:48 PM »
It's up to you. I did this without any prior notice so people preordering stuff ahead of time isn't a concern.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2021, 03:55:04 PM »
I've dubbed 2021 my year of the backlog, too.  In an effort to save $$ and feel less shame about buying games moving forward, I'm taking a sabbatical on buying anything new until 2022.

All that to say - I like your idea and i'm in.

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2021, 07:33:14 PM »
Interested to join in too if y'all don't mind having a boat anchor around. Fear my score will mostly bring everyone down, as I'm probably gonna nab that Capcom Arcade Collection while it has 2 free games on there. But hey maybe it'll motivate to at least actually play them!

Offline M.K.Ultra

• is late to the party
    • View Profile
    • Games I'm Playing
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2021, 12:05:00 AM »
Games Completed
  • Super Mario Galaxy - finished 2/22, 25 hours, 100% run, replay, played on Switch
  • Rhythm Heaven Fever - finished 3/8, 17 hours, 49/50 medals, first play, played on Wii
  • Mega Man 9 - finished 3/10, 3.3 hours, any%, re-play, played on Switch
  • The Last of Us Part II - finished 3/12, 29 hours, 33% of Trophies, first play, played on PS4
  • Mario & Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Olympic Games - finished 3/15, 14.5 hours, Gold Medal in all events and completed all other modes (153/248 Challenges), first play, played on Wii U
  • State of Decay 2 - finished 3/16, 32 hours, Main Campaign, first play, played on XB1
  • Light Fall - finished 3/19, 5-10 hours, 100% run, first play, played on Switch
  • Silver Falls Undertakers - finished 3/11, 4.5 hours, any%, first play, played on 3DS

Games Bought
  • Learn Japanese to Survive! Kanji Combat - purchased 2/24, $1, Steam
  • Quest of Dungeons - purchased 3/18, $2.69, Wii U
  • Metroid: Zero Mission - purchased 3/18, $7.99, Wii U
  • Mega Man Battle Network - purchased 3/18, $7.99, Wii U
« Last Edit: March 26, 2021, 01:05:49 PM by Mr. Bungle »

Offline TOPHATANT123

• Wear a hat that's foil lined in case an alien's inclined to probe your butt or read your mind
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2021, 08:54:50 PM »
Bought a couple of vouchers on the eShop for Bravely Default 2 and TBD, so that sets me back to 0 points.

However +1 point for finishing Yakuza 3 Remastered. I really enjoyed this. I'm playing the series in order and I would say this is my favourite game since Yakuza Zero, which is one of the best games of all time.

3 as a remastered PS3 game managed to exceed my expectations. Whereas 1 & 2 which were ground-up remakes, fell below expectations having been blown away with Zero. The game introduces some quirky new features, tons of side quests and the main story feels like the next big step in Kiryu's journey.

My main complaint would be all the hostess dating, which are required to finish all the substories. There's decent writing and some chuckle worthy jokes but why is there so much of it? Thousands and thousands of words, essentially a visual novel worth of text in this minigame. 84 trips to the hostess club and millions of yen later, I finally completed all the substories. Weirdly addictive but not very satisfying.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
Re: The Winter of 2 cold 4 games! (community event)
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2021, 08:57:50 PM »
I'm working through Xenoblade 2 myself. It'll be a massive timesink but I hope to work through it soon.

I downloaded the f2p multiplayer shooter Valorant for a multiplayer night that a streamer I follow did so once Monster Hunter Rise's preload goes through I'll be breaking even as well.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2021, 09:03:15 PM by pokepal148 »

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
    • View Profile
Re: The Winter of 2cold4gamez! (community event)
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2021, 11:54:50 AM »
All right time to lower the anchors!

Downloaded two games:
-3 points: Capcom Arcade Stadium: 1943 Battle for Midway
-3 points: Capcom Arcade Stadium: Ghosts 'n Goblins
Beat one of them:
+1 point: 1943 Battle for Midway
Total: -5

1943 Midway is not a very good game, just kinda loops 2 types of levels 16 times in a row with more of the same five enemy types everytime. Powerups aren't persistent either.
Also tried Ghosts 'n Goblins but lo & behold I'm again bad at this. Who would've thought after trying and being bad at the NES, and SNES versions?
Also don't love the whole Capcom Arcade Stadium wrapper. Everything seems to trigger a 3-8 page tutorial, and it's annoying the menu options change when you're playing a game or selecting one. The NSO NES/SNES apps are way less fancy, but also a lot easier to grasp at a glance.
So far this has been a rousing success.

Offline M.K.Ultra

• is late to the party
    • View Profile
    • Games I'm Playing
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2021, 12:47:05 PM »
Despite my efforts to stop buying games I did it without even realizing it :-[.  I have been learning Japanese and was recommended "Learn Japanese to Survive" on Steam. The cost was $1, it is educational, and it's on PC (which I don't really use for gaming) so I didn't even think I had bought a game, but technically I did. One the other side of things I saw the credits roll on Rhythm Heaven Fever. This happens after 35 levels and I think there are 50. I am going to keep playing and finish the other 15 but I wanted to get something else on the board to balance my purchase. I have a couple other games going now so I should be able to post a few more completions in the next couple weeks.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2021, 03:51:57 PM »

LOL. I had a suddenly had a vision of 30 or 40 people joining up for this event and then we all bought a bunch of games. We won't just torpedo the score past 0. We'll sink it so hard and fast to leave a crater on the ocean floor!!

I am going to keep playing and finish the other 15 but I wanted to get something else on the board to balance my purchase.

But if buying a game is -3 points and finishing a game is only 1 point then how is it balanced? You're still at -2. Pokepal is really out to punish you all if you buy a game!

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2021, 04:10:17 PM »

LOL. I had a suddenly had a vision of 30 or 40 people joining up for this event and then we all bought a bunch of games. We won't just torpedo the score past 0. We'll sink it so hard and fast to leave a crater on the ocean floor!!

I am going to keep playing and finish the other 15 but I wanted to get something else on the board to balance my purchase.

But if buying a game is -3 points and finishing a game is only 1 point then how is it balanced? You're still at -2. Pokepal is really out to punish you all if you buy a game!
It's balanced around not buying games, not so much completing them.

Downloaded two games:
-3 points: Capcom Arcade Stadium: 1943 Battle for Midway
-3 points: Capcom Arcade Stadium: Ghosts 'n Goblins
Beat one of them:
+1 point: 1943 Battle for Midway

1943 Midway is not a very good game, just kinda loops 2 types of levels 16 times in a row with more of the same five enemy types everytime. Powerups aren't persistent either.
Also tried Ghosts 'n Goblins but lo & behold I'm again bad at this. Who would've thought after trying and being bad at the NES, and SNES versions?
Also don't love the whole Capcom Arcade Stadium wrapper. Everything seems to trigger a 3-8 page tutorial, and it's annoying the menu options change when you're playing a game or selecting one. The NSO NES/SNES apps are way less fancy, but also a lot easier to grasp at a glance.

Technically each player starts at 6 points so you're still at +1.

Offline TOPHATANT123

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2021, 04:00:38 PM »
Now up to +2 for finishing Tell Me Why.

It's a story game so the less the said the better. This is a smaller shorter affair, so if you're new I would recommend starting with the Life is Strange series. These kind are games are incredibly fun in co-op pass the controller style. The stories are so engaging you can't help discussing every little choice, sharing theories and predictions.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2021, 07:03:11 PM »
For a variety of reasons I don't plan on buying very many games lately anyway, so this should be fine for me. Though I am going to get Monster Hunter Rise at the end of Match, but I'll still be in the positive with just that.

Offline M.K.Ultra

• is late to the party
    • View Profile
    • Games I'm Playing
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2021, 04:06:08 PM »
I finished Mega Man 9 today. It was technically a replay but the first time playing it on Switch. I had not played it since I got it on Wii years ago. I got stuck at the final boss and went to stage select to buy some e-tanks only to realize I had to replay all of Wily's castle, thus the long time it took.
With Rhythm Heaven Fever I am stuck at the last level, Remix 10. I currently have 49/50 medals but I just can't seem to get this last one. I did get the OK rating so I technically completed the level but I wanted to get that Superb medal on all levels. I have been playing this one level for about a week so I think it is time to give up.
Pretty close to finishing a few other games so more will be posted soon.

Offline TOPHATANT123

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2021, 05:00:00 PM »
Up to that sweet sweet +3 for finishing Doki Doki Literature Club. I had been meaning to play this for a while. Great writing and very much worth playing, plus it's free.

Offline M.K.Ultra

• is late to the party
    • View Profile
    • Games I'm Playing
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2021, 12:00:43 PM »
I played the most on-brand game possible for the Winter of 2cold4gamez! Mario & Sonic Winter Olympics. This was my first Mario & Sonic Olympics game. Though it only worked for smaller play sessions 1-2 hours, I thoroughly enjoyed it. Curling makes really good use of the Gamepad. The ice hockey offerings are the best Mario sports I have played on Wii U. Even the Question & Answer tour that was dismissed in the NWR review was a fun take on Mario Party. There was also something special about getting Mario and Sonic Characters together. Watching Donkey Kong play hockey with Dr. Robotnik, Waluigi figure skate with Blaze, or my mii in a Bobsled with Mario and Sonic is really fun stuff the first time you see it.

I also added The Last of Us Part II last week. I thought it was better than the original in almost every way. The sound quality is so good and supports customizable 7.1 surround sound which really helps when you are sneaking around.

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2021, 12:36:10 PM »
Punched the clock on Axiom Verge, was surprised to see Dr. Metts' name in the credits. Good game, maybe not great, but it's very impressive for a solo developer. Terrific music especially.
Also started Resi Revelaitons for the RetroActive.
+2 for now, hoping to add one more by month's end.

Offline M.K.Ultra

• is late to the party
    • View Profile
    • Games I'm Playing
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2021, 05:34:57 PM »
Punched the clock on Axiom Verge
What system did you play that on?

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2021, 05:56:01 PM »
I'm guessing Wii U. Discord.RSS runs best on it.

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2021, 07:24:23 PM »
Yes, of course! Between this and The Swapper it's nice to really get a feel for what exactly we could've had for a dual-screen sidescrolling Metroid on the platform.  >:(

(In all seriousness, I was slightly underwhelmed by the Gamepad support in Axiom Verge. You're shown a map and your weapons inventory on it, which are handy at a glance, but it retains the two-notes-per-area limit of the other versions. Would've been cool to write your own notes on it per room, or zoom in/out, see the entire map at once, etc.
But that would be a lot of extra work for an outsourced port of a one-man project, so I get it.)

There's a sequel to it slated for this year which I'm more interested in now, if only for more music and sound effects. Looks quite different too, with short-range attacks and perhaos less beam weapons, but increased mobility. If you can climb anywhere this might be the Metroid 2 of this series.

Offline M.K.Ultra

• is late to the party
    • View Profile
    • Games I'm Playing
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2021, 11:32:33 AM »
I have it on Wii U as well. I should be getting to it soon. I bumped the Winter Olympics game up the queue because of it was the time of the season.

Offline TOPHATANT123

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2021, 06:22:11 PM »
Back to square one at +0, for buying Telling Lies on PS4, needed something to fill the adventure game whole in my heart.