Author Topic: Phantasy Star Online: XBOX Version.  (Read 10230 times)

Offline nitsu niflheim

• Eye-Candy Andy
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
Phantasy Star Online: XBOX Version.
« on: January 31, 2003, 05:05:36 PM »
Really liking the new forum.

To play this game on the Xbox, offline or online you will have to have a valid Xbox Live account.
Another thing of note: players in North American using the NA version will not be able to connect to players from other regions. The game will sell for a discounted price of $39.99, come with 60 days of free online play. After the 60 day trial period, players wanting to play the game over Xbox Live will have to pay 8.95 a month.

• gamespot.com

• Currently Reading:  Odd Apocalypse ~ Dean Koontz
    Currently Watching:  ?

Offline Matt

• Score: 0
      • View Profile
    « Reply #1 on: January 31, 2003, 06:58:52 PM »
    The 60 day period seems pretty good, 2x as long as GCN.

But 8.95 a month and you need Live too?

What's with that, I think the cost of Live alone should be enough.
    Matt
    Contact Info in Profile

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
      Senior Editor
    • Score: 2
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: January 31, 2003, 07:09:24 PM »
    I hate to say it, but that's going to be pretty standard for MMORPGs on Xbox Live.  Live is your key to the service, and most games let you play peer-to-peer (using one Xbox as the "server").  MMORPGs, however, need a huge mass of central servers, and they need to keep those servers running.  That's what the extra fees are for.

Now, if they can just roll that into what you're paying for Live when Live goes monthly, that would be more convenient.  I don't think that will happen, though.
    :: Rob "Rick Powers" Stevens
    :: Senior Editor Emeritus
    :: Personal Blog
    :: Wii Number: 7294 0910 3012 6153

Offline baberg

• View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: January 31, 2003, 07:27:50 PM »
    About the only drawback to the pricing of PSO is that, even if you plan to never play it online, an Xbox Live subscription is still necessary.  I realize why they did this - Microsoft is probably picking up part of the cost of PSO in order to make it look more appealing on the Xbox than the Gamecube.  And, to make up the difference, Live is being used.  Not a terrible business strategy, as most of the Xbox owners are already on Xbox Live.

But there's plenty of fun to be had offline...  I couldn't find anything about Xbox offline multiplayer.  Does the Xbox version let 4 people play split-screen?  
    Name: Barry
    Town: Hyrule

Offline LMSx

• View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: January 31, 2003, 11:06:46 PM »
    All about the options. But being required to buy Xbox Live? Ouch. If you don't already have it, the game costs 80 dollars.
    Born to run-but prefers a brisk walk.....

Offline Mingesium

• View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: February 01, 2003, 11:10:42 AM »
    "Xbox Live subscription is still necessary"

I don't have a XBox so how does that work? Can a person just pop in the game and play it offline?

Offline nitsu niflheim

• Eye-Candy Andy
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: February 01, 2003, 11:19:54 AM »

Can a person just pop in the game and play it offline?

No.

If you have a XBox and want to play PSO, regardless of whether you want to play online or offline, you need to subscribe to XBox Live, right now offered for 49.99.  PSO on the XBox is retailing for 39.99, 10.00 less than GCN, but with the GCN version you can play it offline for just the cost of the game, nothing extra is needed, except maybe a memory card.  >The GCN version doesn't require any subscription that I am aware of to play it offline.  PSO was offered with the XBox Live in Japan so it was a requirement to subscribe to play.  MS just didn't take the option out for America.

Currently Reading:  Odd Apocalypse ~ Dean Koontz

Offline Mingesium

• View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: February 01, 2003, 11:35:58 AM »

If you have a XBox and want to play PSO, regardless of whether you want to play online or offline, you need to subscribe to XBox Live, right now offered for 49.99

I guess that I should have ask how does XBox Live work? it seems to me that I could go to the store and buy the game for $39.99. Pop in the game in and play it. If you pop in the game, what happens? Does it say, "You are not on XBox live?". That is what I'm trying to ask.

Offline Matt

• View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: February 01, 2003, 04:58:55 PM »
    First off, for the Xbox, you really should get Live! so you can play other games and stuff.
    Matt
    Contact Info in Profile

Offline nitsu niflheim

• Eye-Candy Andy
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: February 02, 2003, 05:46:44 AM »
    Well it would be pointless for me since I can't get broadband in my area without paying more than 60.00 a month.  And therefore this game would be pointless too.  I'm not going to spend 50 dollars for an online service that would only be used to play a game offline that can be played offline for the single cost of the game on another system.  I can play PSO for 49.99 offline, but I would have to pay 89.98 to play it on the XBOX.  Not worth it.  
    Currently Reading:  Odd Apocalypse ~ Dean Koontz