Author Topic: Official Star Wars The Force Awakens SPOILER DISCUSSION thread...  (Read 44250 times)

Offline Wah

• Social Worker who's hip with the kids
  • Score: -44
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
Re: Official Star Wars The Force Awakens SPOILER DISCUSSION thread...
« Reply #50 on: January 09, 2016, 01:19:13 AM »
Didn't Star Wars come out first?
Made you look ****.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 09, 2016, 06:15:48 AM »
As a Star Trek fan, I am also a little pissed that the Jedi mind trick thing turned into the Vulcan mind meld.  I get the sense that Abrams was like "hey, remember that cool mind meld we did in Star Trek? Well,....I bet Jedi could totally do that too!"  But, whatever.

Funny you mentioned that, did you notice that the lightspeed shot of the Falcon is almost identical to the Enterprise in both of his Star Trek movies?

Offline sudoshuff

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 09, 2016, 07:50:20 AM »
Didn't Star Wars come out first?

It did not. Star Trek came out in the 60's.  Star Wars came out in the late 70's.

Offline Nile Boogie Returns

• Tropical Freeze
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 09, 2016, 10:28:24 AM »
I don't think it was JJ Abrams who choose this super safe direction. I remember rumors of JJ being off the project a few years ago due to creative differences but then everything worked itself out. Star Trek 09 and MI:3 don'r feel safe while still building on the "bones of the past".

Moving forward, andI know this is pretty much impossible but I would like George Lucus to at least consult on the 5 future movies coming out over the years.

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 09, 2016, 02:02:47 PM »
Something to note- Han says one of Luke's apprentices turned against him and messed the whole thing up. He says nothing about Ben killing Luke's apprentices, and it's quite clear that the Knights of Ren are a thing (we even get a glimpse at them in Rey's past/future vision, one has a pretty badass giant broadsword looking weapon). Ben could have convinced some of Luke's other apprentices to turn on him as well, leading to the Knights of Ren.

Anyway, the movie is still really safe and has a bad second act, though Maz Kanata has grown on me quite a bit. I hope she returns in the future.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 09, 2016, 08:46:31 PM »
I just watched the movie this morning. 11am IMAX 3D showing.... practically SOLD OUT. there was maybe 20 random single seats open.

Movie was pretty good, but I can see why the interwebs was calling it a remake (of ROTJ?), as the only thing missing was a hand getting chopped off... and that almost happened several times. Hell they even made the comparison themselves when they compared the DeathPlanet to the Deathstar.

My one gripe throughout this series though, is that Rey had a speeder that just hovers there, even when not in use. but when she needs to haul her load over to her camp, she has to drag it through the sand. Do they not have a little hoverbarrel to cart things around in? a hover satchel that she can tow behind her....? anything? they seem so advanced in certain areas to no apply them to other logical areas as well.

Can't believe HS won't be making it to the sequel though. Good thing he got his payday on the 1st movie. and why wasn't Chewie a little greyer? do they not age?

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 09, 2016, 10:32:44 PM »
I just watched the movie this morning. 11am IMAX 3D showing.... practically SOLD OUT. there was maybe 20 random single seats open.
I wanted to watch in IMAX for my second viewing. Getting tickets seems impossible for the time being.
Movie was pretty good, but I can see why the interwebs was calling it a remake (of ROTJ?)
Of A New Hope. There are certainly similarities. Hitting familiar story beats isn't even really new to Star Wars. The endings of The Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones, for example, were intentionally meant to mimic the endings of A New Hope and The Empire Strikes Back.
My one gripe throughout this series though, is that Rey had a speeder that just hovers there, even when not in use. but when she needs to haul her load over to her camp, she has to drag it through the sand. Do they not have a little hoverbarrel to cart things around in? a hover satchel that she can tow behind her....? anything? they seem so advanced in certain areas to no apply them to other logical areas as well.
Rey is a scavenger. She barely gets by with what she can find which, as shown in the movie, is slowly losing value based on the amount of portions she is given in exchange for the junk she scrounges up. It's surprising she even owns a speeder though we're supposed to surmise that she probably fixed up a junker. It's a necessity, a hoverbarrel or something similar is not.
Can't believe HS won't be making it to the sequel though. Good thing he got his payday on the 1st movie. and why wasn't Chewie a little greyer? do they not age?
George Lucas seemed to go a little overboard with fanservice after The Phantom Menace by reintroducing characters like Boba Fett and Chewbacca (ultimately not understanding how to successfully and subtly do fanservice). Anyway, Chewbacca looked exactly the same in Revenge of the Sith as he does roughly 18 years later in A New Hope, implying that Wookies age slower than humans.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 09, 2016, 11:43:48 PM »
Movie was pretty good, but I can see why the interwebs was calling it a remake (of ROTJ?)
Of A New Hope. There are certainly similarities. Hitting familiar story beats isn't even really new to Star Wars. The endings of The Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones, for example, were intentionally meant to mimic the endings of A New Hope and The Empire Strikes Back.

I like to think of it as History keeps repeating itself.

Rey is a scavenger. She barely gets by with what she can find which, as shown in the movie, is slowly losing value based on the amount of portions she is given in exchange for the junk she scrounges up. It's surprising she even owns a speeder though we're supposed to surmise that she probably fixed up a junker. It's a necessity, a hoverbarrel or something similar is not.

I didn't really mean her specifically, just in general. the tech just seems so common, that you expect to see it utilized even at the lowest levels of poverty. like cell phones, cars, TV.
I just expect a hover everything to be so common place, that you could just build hover stuff with do it yourself home kits using scraps from out in the desert wreckage.

George Lucas seemed to go a little overboard with fanservice after The Phantom Menace by reintroducing characters like Boba Fett and Chewbacca (ultimately not understanding how to successfully and subtly do fanservice). Anyway, Chewbacca looked exactly the same in Revenge of the Sith as he does roughly 18 years later in A New Hope, implying that Wookies age slower than humans.

i wouldn't have hurt to give him a few grey strands up top somewhere.
although it would have been hilarious if he was actually a little bald on top.

But overall I really enjoyed it. Not sure about the additional cost of 3D though. it really only stood out in a few scenes, but I know it really pops for more people than it ever has for me.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 10, 2016, 12:47:18 AM »
Rey only uses the speeder in that one scene though, and it isn't shown at her AT-AT "house" so maybe it was just borrowed from Unkar Plutt so she could go scavenge the Star Destroyer.

And the light speed shot of the Milennium Falcon is used in the previous movies too.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 12:49:04 AM by Brandogg »
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Wah

• Social Worker who's hip with the kids
  • Score: -44
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #59 on: January 10, 2016, 01:23:37 AM »
wookies use steroids its confirmed
Made you look ****.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 10, 2016, 09:40:25 AM »
Like I said before, its possible that wookies do not go gray when they age, they aren't human (or earthly at all) after all.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #61 on: January 10, 2016, 02:36:07 PM »
I've never owned a dog.  Do dogs go grey when they get old?  I always thought Wookies were like dogs.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

« Reply #62 on: January 10, 2016, 05:47:31 PM »
I've never owned a dog.  Do dogs go grey when they get old?  I always thought Wookies were like dogs.

I don't think grey but my black dog got a lot of white in his hair just before he died at about 18 years of age.
You can call me Mikey if my username is too long.
My favorite games are: Minecraft, Star Wars, Mario, DK, Zelda, Ninja Turtles, and Call of Duty,
I own Wii U, PS4, PS3, and PC.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 10, 2016, 08:56:50 PM »
Yes they do (quite a bit, depending on the breed, color, etc.), but again, not from Earth.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 10, 2016, 09:09:20 PM »
Wookies do grey with age if you believe the Star Wars Holiday Special! ;)

Chewbacca was about 205 years old in A New Hope/OT time.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

« Reply #65 on: January 11, 2016, 04:53:40 PM »
I think Chewie is considered middle-aged in Wookie years by now, he was late teens maybe early twenties in A New Hope.

Rumor floating around Snoke is Vader. Anyone think it could work or is just stupid?
You can call me Mikey if my username is too long.
My favorite games are: Minecraft, Star Wars, Mario, DK, Zelda, Ninja Turtles, and Call of Duty,
I own Wii U, PS4, PS3, and PC.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 11, 2016, 06:08:08 PM »
Why would Kylo be carrying around Vader's charred helmet and idolizing it? Vader died and a resurrection of him would require someone like Plagueis, who has the ability to overcome death.
My Game Collection

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 11, 2016, 06:13:23 PM »
Rumor floating around Snoke is Vader. Anyone think it could work or is just stupid?

If Vader somehow survived being burned on a funeral pyre how does it explain his ghost appearing at the end of Return of the Jedi?  That idea just makes no sense.  Plus part of the whole story is that Luke proves there is still good in Anakin so they would just undo all of that?  Retcon the iconic original trilogy for something that doesn't even make sense in the first place?  That would be like franchise suicide.

To make it work would take dumb comic book level **** where like Darth Vader made some clone of himself and THAT was who died in Jedi and it was all his secret evil plan to kill the Emperor so he could take over later on.  And then the ghost was just a Sith mind trick on his part.  Or Darth Vader's good and evil sides take on two separate entities and when he "dies" his good part went to "Jedi Heaven" to join Yoda and Obi-Wan but his evil part remained in his body and survived the cremation somehow and that's who Snoke is.

God I feel sick writing such an idiotic explanation.  It's a stupid idea that makes no sense.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 11, 2016, 09:07:18 PM »
Yeah that's really stupid.

And Chewbacca fought in the Clone Wars in Episode 3...so unless he was an infant, then he wasn't a teenager or in his twenties in a New Hope.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 11, 2016, 09:10:52 PM »
I think he meant the teen comparison as an "in dog years" type of comparison.

According to the Wookiepedia, Wookies live up to about 400 years.

"Wookiees had a long lifespan, appearing not to age over a span of fifty years.[13] One Wookiee, Lohgarra, lived healthily for centuries—the only distinction being her white fur.[9] "

So I guess it does make sense to not see much aging in Chewbacca.
My Game Collection

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 11, 2016, 10:14:42 PM »
Well, I thought this was funny and Star Wars related:

It's Always Sunny in Tatooine

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 11, 2016, 10:43:51 PM »
My friend just sent me a link to that video. It's a perfect "Sunny" intro segment.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 12, 2016, 12:25:47 AM »
Rumor has it that Snoke is Darth Plageuis.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 12, 2016, 12:38:15 AM »
rumor has it Kylo Ren is future Snoke

and there is time travel in the next movie.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 12, 2016, 12:52:15 AM »
Rumor has it that Kylo Ren is Luke Skywalker.