Author Topic: Switchmas Eve Rumors and Speculations Thread  (Read 663712 times)

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
Re: NX hot scoops straight from Google!
« Reply #1825 on: August 17, 2016, 11:26:28 PM »
"EA respects non-disclosure agreement" doesn't bring in TEH CLICKZ.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #1826 on: August 18, 2016, 12:21:41 AM »
But I think the overall question is pretty valid.  Does Nintendo need EA anymore?  What else of notable quality are they making outside their sport sims? 

I know EA gets a bad wrap from just about anyone that isn't a sports gaming enthusiast... (and even then they still get a hard time), but Support from a BIG producer like EA is just as important to Nintendo as hopefully the install base supporting games from big producers like EA, as it only draws in more install base and more support from other BIG fish.

so while I'm sure Nintendo can afford to survive w/o large 3rd party support, and therefore don't "need" EA, they sure could use the boost large support and success from EA would give to all the rest of the big players looking to drop major IP on yet another platform.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #1827 on: August 18, 2016, 01:04:54 AM »
FIFA? fifa....
You like FIFA? The Game EA vomits out each year?
You my friend is what's wrong with the gaming industry.

Yeah...probably. I also don't buy games unless they're about two years old; my only caveat are major Nintendo and Sony releases like Zelda or Uncharted. And I never buy a system day one. Case in point, I just picked up a 3DS.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1828 on: August 18, 2016, 01:45:19 AM »
FIFA is a pretty renown series. Saying EA "vomits" them out is a disservice.  They've even taken the time to start including women's teams recently.

But I think the overall question is pretty valid.  Does Nintendo need EA anymore?  What else of notable quality are they making outside their sport sims? 

EA makes Mass Effect so that's enough of a justification for me to want them on a Nintendo console.  I'm going to likely buy some videogame system for the new Mass Effect so does Nintendo want it to be Sony's or Microsoft's?

Does Nintendo need EA anymore?  Nintendo needs EVERYONE.  We saw what Nintendo on their own results in - a commercial disaster.  No third party publisher of any note should be considered expendable to Nintendo.  I don't care for EA and Mass Effect is literally all I care about from them but EA matters.  Their sports games alone can make their absence a dealbreaker.  Nintendo pretty much has no sports presence at all aside from Mario sports games.  There are people where their annual Madden is a key videogame purchase and there is only one NFL game in town these days.  This comes from a more Canadian perspective but I know people that buy the annual NHL game and a console without it is of no use to them.

You have to not think in terms of Nintendo games and the people that are primarily interested in them.  Those people are a niche group, you're probably part of them, and their numbers are as small as the Wii U userbase.  For most people Nintendo games matter no more than any other publisher's games.  One console has effectively just Nintendo and the other ones have everything else.  Everything else wins by a landslide if Nintendo is just some random dev to you.  So Nintendo absolutely needs EA and Ubisoft and Take Two and Activision and everyone else you've ever heard of.  It's strictly a numbers game.  The Wii is literally the only console in videogame history to sell the best for its generation while not winning the numbers game.  The less devs supporting the NX, the worse it will sell.  EA support is mandatory.

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #1829 on: August 18, 2016, 02:25:14 AM »
Anyone who doesn't think the NX would benefit from having games like Battlefield, Titanfall and Battlefront on the system is kidding themselves.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 02:29:46 AM by Dasmos »
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #1830 on: August 18, 2016, 05:52:32 AM »
In other news I bought Mass Effect 3 for 8 dollars and want my money back. I didn't like the gameplay. EA have done things I like in the past though.

I'm more concerned about Ubisoft. There are Ubisoft game series that I like. Prince of Persia, Assassin's Creed, I enjoyed BG&E and never beat it. I'm kinda disappointed  Killer Freaks from Outer Space turned into ZombiU.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Wah

• Social Worker who's hip with the kids
  • Score: -44
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #1831 on: August 18, 2016, 06:21:25 AM »
3 sucks.
Made you look ****.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #1832 on: August 18, 2016, 09:29:04 AM »
FIFA is a pretty renown series. Saying EA "vomits" them out is a disservice.  They've even taken the time to start including women's teams recently.

I have several acquaintances that wouldn't buy a console if you couldn't get NFL, MLB, or FIFA sports games.  Is that Nintendo's core fanbase?  No, but I think this console generation has shown that Nintendo can't support its video game business with just its core fanbase.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #1833 on: August 18, 2016, 03:41:17 PM »
I have several acquaintances that wouldn't buy a console if you couldn't get NFL, MLB, or FIFA sports games.  Is that Nintendo's core fanbase?  No, but I think this console generation has shown that Nintendo can't support its video game business with just its core fanbase.

Do these people already own consoles to play these games?  Would they buy other games for the NX?  Do they need/want multiple systems with these games?

EA makes Mass Effect so that's enough of a justification for me to want them on a Nintendo console.  I'm going to likely buy some videogame system for the new Mass Effect so does Nintendo want it to be Sony's or Microsoft's?

I mean, they made Mass Effect.  Is that series still going?  Honestly, haven't been following it.

To everyone's point that the NX benefits from EA support: I mean yeah, duh.  Is there any 3rd party support that would be detrimental?  Or even neutral?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 03:42:53 PM by nickmitch »
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #1834 on: August 18, 2016, 03:50:25 PM »

I mean, they made Mass Effect.  Is that series still going?  Honestly, haven't been following it.

A new game in the series, Mass Effect: Andromeda, is coming out in March of next year, just like a certain piece of hardware.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #1835 on: August 18, 2016, 04:14:43 PM »
Oh, snap!

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #1836 on: August 18, 2016, 04:22:06 PM »

Do these people already own consoles to play these games?  Would they buy other games for the NX?  Do they need/want multiple systems with these games?

What I'm getting at is these people only bother to own one console, and if Nintendo wants to be something other than the niche console, they need people to decide their console is compelling enough to be THE console. 

Perhaps some of them already have PS4/Xbone, but I had more than a few friends that were intrigued at the idea of Wii U's off-TV play for sports games, then suddenly saw EA backpedaling away from Wii U as quickly as possible turn them off.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #1837 on: August 18, 2016, 04:39:33 PM »
Bummer. A dumbed-down port of Madden was my most-anticipated NX game.

Offline rygar

• NWR's #1 soccer fan!
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1838 on: August 18, 2016, 05:33:03 PM »

My favorite game genres are WRPGs and FPSs. I also like sports games, but not as much as those. I only own a 3DS because it is portable and on-tv play isn't viable for me anymore. I bought it on a whim, but I would have gotten one sooner if it meant being able to play Bethesda or Bioware games. I love it, so I don’t regret the purchase, but I probably won’t be in a rush to upgrade to the NX if it doesn’t expand Nintendo’s catalog of franchises. I’d probably be content playing out my 3DS backlog for at least another year. However, if the NX is going to have games like Mass Effect: Andromeda (and it’s portable), I’d probably purchase it close to launch. I know you were responding to a post specifically about sports and not western genres in general, and I don't know if sports games alone would justify the upgrade, but I'd at least be more likely to consider it.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #1839 on: August 18, 2016, 07:21:54 PM »
What I'm getting at is these people only bother to own one console, and if Nintendo wants to be something other than the niche console, they need people to decide their console is compelling enough to be THE console. 

Perhaps some of them already have PS4/Xbone, but I had more than a few friends that were intrigued at the idea of Wii U's off-TV play for sports games, then suddenly saw EA backpedaling away from Wii U as quickly as possible turn them off.

Seems like the gimmick has to hook them in and then make them choose the NX as their dedicated Madden machine.

My favorite game genres are WRPGs and FPSs. I also like sports games, but not as much as those. I only own a 3DS because it is portable and on-tv play isn't viable for me anymore. I bought it on a whim, but I would have gotten one sooner if it meant being able to play Bethesda or Bioware games. I love it, so I don’t regret the purchase, but I probably won’t be in a rush to upgrade to the NX if it doesn’t expand Nintendo’s catalog of franchises. I’d probably be content playing out my 3DS backlog for at least another year. However, if the NX is going to have games like Mass Effect: Andromeda (and it’s portable), I’d probably purchase it close to launch. I know you were responding to a post specifically about sports and not western genres in general, and I don't know if sports games alone would justify the upgrade, but I'd at least be more likely to consider it.

If those genres are your faves, then Nintendo has been under-serving you for years.  But you're right, Nintendo's console needs to serve a wider market with the software lineup.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #1841 on: August 18, 2016, 08:13:41 PM »
Hrm. On the one hand, I would love it (and Nintendo would probably help with marketing it). On the other hand, we're lucky to be getting that game in the West at all (digital only on its lead platform).

Still, if that's true, I hope it's announced soon so I can use the PSN credit I'm saving on something else.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline rygar

• NWR's #1 soccer fan!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1842 on: August 18, 2016, 09:01:42 PM »

If those genres are your faves, then Nintendo has been under-serving you for years.  But you're right, Nintendo's console needs to serve a wider market with the software lineup.

In retrospect, it was partly a matter of perception. Everybody I knew in elementary school (whose parents could afford them) had a NES. Only a small percentage bought new systems, and those that did, got Sega specifically for Madden. I needed a PC for school, so I just played games on that until my roommate bought an xbox. My wife and a friend briefly owned Wii, but they only had games like Wii sport. I literally thought/assumed Nintendo was for children.

Now that I own a 3DS and have been exposed to Nintendo's post-NES work, I definitely enjoy it. I imagine I will eventually get a NX even if they don't expand their software catalog. But, I've already bought enough games to last me through 2017, so I could just clean out whats left of what I want on the 3DS estore, and put the NX money towards a gaming computer. I would much rather go low cost on a computer, and buy a NX that has WRPGs and the latest Zelda, Pokemon, et al.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #1843 on: August 18, 2016, 09:52:28 PM »
Oh, wow.  That's an interesting background!  What made you get the 3DS?

And Nintendo's family friendly image does hurt them sometimes.  It's easy to see them as being "for kids", but I like to think of them as having broad appeal.  Like, there's nothing offensive about Splatoon, but that doesn't make it for kids.

Offline rygar

• NWR's #1 soccer fan!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1844 on: August 18, 2016, 11:15:53 PM »
Thanks! I had stopped gaming around 2007. TV play stopped being feasible and I had a laptop priced for word processing/internet browsing. I think I got a smart phone around 2009 or 2010 and started playing games on it. I liked it well enough, but I hated both tying up my phone and interrupting my games.

I was going on a long road trip two years ago and found the Retronauts podcast. That reminded me of how much I liked gaming when I was younger, and I started craving a more substantial experience. I tried downloading higher quality games on mobile, but I hated the controls. I was going on a different vacation the following summer, and decided to grab a handheld for the flight. I had a vague sense that the vita had a bad reputation, so I went with the 3DS.

I'm glad I did and I'm also really happy I found RFN soon after. Listening to it has increased my enjoyment of Nintendo, and the more I play Nintendo, the more I enjoy the podcast and the rest of NWR.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #1845 on: August 19, 2016, 11:40:58 AM »
Wow, you are literally the market Nintendo is after for the NX.  And from the recent sales news, they seem to be pulling you guys in!

Offline sudoshuff

• View Profile
« Reply #1846 on: August 20, 2016, 08:47:15 AM »
I tried downloading higher quality games on mobile, but I hated the controls.

For me it was the controls and the lack of depth.  Strangely, as graphics got prettier and the swiping got fancier, it just made want a game I could really sink my teeth into.  It was playing the Secret of Mana port on iOS that convinced me I just needed to go out and buy a 3DS.  I think the market of lapsed gamers or gamers who want something a little more than mobile can offer shouldn't be underestimated.  The NX has a real opportunity there.

Offline rygar

• NWR's #1 soccer fan!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1847 on: August 20, 2016, 02:57:14 PM »
Good call on the depth too and I think that tracks quality. I probably regret 75% of my mobile spending, lol. But I don't regret any of my Nintendo purchases even though I'm unlikely to play a significant number of them. The games are of sufficient intrinsic quality to make just having access to them worth it.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1848 on: August 20, 2016, 04:46:37 PM »
It is those complaints that have always kept me away from a lot of the mobile gaming market. I finally warmed up to playing certain specific games as a form of time killing when out and about, especially since it was more convenient to just carry a phone instead of a phone and a 3DS.

I have spent a few Google Play free credits on mobile games, and the Amazon free app of the day program introduced me to a few I would have been willing to buy because I liked them so much.

But I don't regret any of my Nintendo purchases even though I'm unlikely to play a significant number of them. The games are of sufficient intrinsic quality to make just having access to them worth it.

The nice thing about those games is that you know for the most part you can still dive into it years later and get near full enjoyment out of them. Its how I justify growing my backlog: having the promise of one day sitting down and enjoying a random gem I never cracked open. With phone games so much is tied to servers and IAPs that there is little promise of the game even running properly a year or two later.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #1849 on: August 21, 2016, 12:45:52 PM »
Yeah, that's why I prioritise the games on my backlogue which have online features, since who knows how long those will last. I still ended up missing out on a few goodies on Wii and DS when the NWFC was shut down. :(