Author Topic: Switchmas Eve Rumors and Speculations Thread  (Read 663856 times)

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
Re: NeoGaf Repost Thread (May also contain NX rumors)
« Reply #1775 on: August 08, 2016, 09:02:04 PM »
It’s definitely something we will look at; and our philosophy is that we will put our games out on any format that supports the games as we envisage and make them.

Given that they make their games with more bugs at launch than the body count of the National Brotherhood of Exterminators...
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #1776 on: August 09, 2016, 02:24:04 PM »
AMD didn't even need to announce those design wins either. It did most likely because it's something positive to tell its shareholders when it's repeatedly getting stomped by Nvidia.
And Intel.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #1777 on: August 09, 2016, 09:22:00 PM »
AMD didn't even need to announce those design wins either. It did most likely because it's something positive to tell its shareholders when it's repeatedly getting stomped by Nvidia.
And Intel.

Maybe Intel is doing the CPU and GPU for the NX...

Offline MysticGohan

• I have a large position in nVidia.
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #1778 on: August 09, 2016, 10:28:21 PM »
Apparently HappyNintendoFan has tweeted: Sources Close 2 Retro Studios; "2 Consoles will be revealed at Nintendo Event, 1 Handheld based on ARM, 1 Home Console, x86 AMD Polaris" #NX

Apparently Retro has been working on an original game due to release for NX in 2017.

Then he shows an image https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CpdjLNJW8AAe-K5.jpg

Also claims to have proof four verification via neogaf and reddit.

Hope this event is true, seeing Sony has announced Sept. 7th for Neo's announcement, I wonder will we see space world? Though seems unlikely as it typically takes place in late august, or used to. But who knows how nintendo will show this off.
Everytime you open your mouth you prove you're an idiot. ~Vegeta

Never argue with an idiot he'll bring you to his level and beat you with experience.

"I'm doing this because I'm PISSED! Why the hell didn't you ask for my help!?!?" `Roy Mustang  FMA

I could go into a Wendy's res

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1779 on: August 10, 2016, 12:25:23 AM »
Interesting. Emily Rogers also had a rumor that Retro Studios had a new game that wasn't Donkey Kong or Metroid...

Offline MysticGohan

• View Profile
« Reply #1780 on: August 10, 2016, 01:00:11 AM »
Interesting. Emily Rogers also had a rumor that Retro Studios had a new game that wasn't Donkey Kong or Metroid...

We knew Retro was working on something, but what? Who knows. Though I heard it's an original IP, maybe Raven Blade lives? Or could it be Metroid? Retro is big enough to handle two projects. Hopefully we'll hear something during the NX unveiling.

Never argue with an idiot he'll bring you to his level and beat you with experience.

"I'm doing this because I'm PISSED! Why the hell didn't you ask for my help!?!?" `Roy Mustang  FMA

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #1781 on: August 10, 2016, 03:54:31 AM »
Apparently HappyNintendoFan has tweeted: Sources Close 2 Retro Studios; "2 Consoles will be revealed at Nintendo Event, 1 Handheld based on ARM, 1 Home Console, x86 AMD Polaris" #NX

You know, back when I posting about the very low number of upcoming games from Nintendo for both the handheld and console front and mentioned that it could be seen as proof that the NX is a hybrid, I was trying to deduce in my mind what other possibilities this could point to. The only other explanation I could come up with is that maybe Nintendo is launching a new handheld and console at the same time. With two separate consoles, it could explain why there seems to be conflicting rumours as to what the NX is. People are getting different information about either the handheld or the console.

However, I then dismissed the possibility because it just didn't seem feasible. Would Nintendo bundle both things together? What would be the cost of that unit then? On the other hand, would they launch two pieces of hardware close to each other and basically have them compete with each other for sales and users? I don't see Nintendo viewing that as a business strategy they'd employ. Then there is the recent claim of Nintendo expecting to beef up game production and keep the NX from experiencing draughts. Not that us jaded long time fans put much faith in that and just see it as expected promotional speak. If Nintendo did launch two pieces of hardware close to each other, do they really expect to keep both from experiencing draughts when they have to launch and create a game library for two units?

Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #1782 on: August 10, 2016, 03:55:04 AM »
Time to put the thinking cap on. The SNES had the GameBoy Player allowing handheld games to be played on consoles. With GameCube, Nintendo did its biggest experimentation with console/handheld connectivity. Not only was there the GBA player to play Advance games on the console, there were link cables to use the GBA as a controller for some games notable Pac-Man VS, 4 Swords Adventures and Final Fantasy Chronicles. There were other minor uses of it. One could look at Pac-Man Vs and draw a sort of parallel to the Wii U with its controller screen giving a different perspective or giving that player a different ability /role compared to the other Wiimote players in a room like in some NintendoLand games. With the Wii, Nintendo backed away from connectivity and the DS hardly had much interaction with the Wii console for anything. With the 3DS and Wii U, that non-connectivity approach has continued for the most part aside from a rare exception. The biggest thing would be using it as a controller in Smash Wii U. However, the Wii U Gamepad sort of acts like a handheld device connected to your console.

Iwata put the handheld and console hardware teams together to get them to work together better no doubt in part because of the software / menu architecture needed these days to allow for sending out patches, emulating games through the VC, and accounts like the e-Shop or Miiverse. I think we've started seeing the effects of some of this through Miiverse being incorporated on both systems, Amiibo and NFC and a couple cross-buy game attempts. However, it's not nearly at the integration fans would like with GBA games non-existent on the 3DS e-Shop or the length it took SNES games to be released not to mention better cross-buy support of being able to buy an SNES game on 3DS but also download it to your Wii U account if you want or vice-verse instead of paying twice for the same game. That problem, however, may come from the fact that handheld and console development teams were separate before and didn't confer with the other team about how they could or should approach development to make that programming worth with both systems. We are still waiting to see the first console and or handheld be released under this new directive. Was this combining part of a plan and idea already in place and beginning for what the Wii U successor would be? Or has it created a new plan and bold new direction to attempt? (Yes, the NEW 3DS has come out and is technically the first handheld released under this combined development team but it clearly is still tied to the original 3DS design and architecture to be truly new or be considered a successor.)

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #1783 on: August 10, 2016, 03:55:55 AM »
Going back to the Wii U, a lot of people expressed positivity to the off-screen play ability provided by the GamePad although there was a limit to how far away you could take the Gamepad from the console. It was like a handheld plugged into a wall. Is the NX the next step in Gamepad design? The Wii U never came up with or had a game that would use two Gamepads at once. That never happened despite the bone thrown to complainers that Gamepads would be sold separately and multiple pads could be used for future games. Would the NX allow for more connectivity with Gamepads? Would it allow you to talk the Gamepads further away effectively turning them into a type of handheld? Considering handheld dual screen gaming has now by Nintendo's handheld model for a decade, would the new gamepad controller also have two screens? Plus, some Wii U games did use the Gamepad for other things besides offscreen TV. Would having a second screen allow those Wii U games to function on offscreen gameplay?

This whole idea creates many interesting and crazy questions but I also can't see what they might be leading to or what kind of interesting console idea Nintendo could have from following in this direction.

Offline MysticGohan

• View Profile
« Reply #1784 on: August 10, 2016, 09:31:56 AM »
Khusrenada, what if you can play both portable and console games on the console?

Seeing that it's likely that both the handheld and console will be cartridge based, only thing is the handheld games can play on the console but not the other way around.

We know Iwata has expressed in the past that the NX will not be a hybrid, I would think that logic would continue today.

It just makes sense that all these rumors are off and are really two systems under the NX name.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #1785 on: August 10, 2016, 12:50:36 PM »
Khusrenada, what if you can play both portable and console games on the console?

Seeing that it's likely that both the handheld and console will be cartridge based, only thing is the handheld games can play on the console but not the other way around.

Well, considering that the SNES and GameCube had adapters to play handheld games, having the NX be able to play handheld games isn't exactly revolutionary. But with the DS system's method of inputs and controls, it has only been recently with the Gamepad that Nintendo has been able to port DS games to play on a console. Unless the next handheld is going to be a different kind of design or the NX continues the gamepad style, then the console being able to play handheld games might not happen.

In any case, it's hardly a revolutionary idea or one that would require so much secrecy since that's been done before.

We know Iwata has expressed in the past that the NX will not be a hybrid, I would think that logic would continue today.

It just makes sense that all these rumors are off and are really two systems under the NX name.

It makes sense in some ways but, like some of those questions I wondered about, it doesn't make sense in other ways.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #1786 on: August 10, 2016, 02:20:07 PM »
I'd like to point out that the PC Engine/Turbo Graphix 16 had a handheld counterpart that used the same game cards and played the same games, but on a handheld.  And near the end of the Genesis' life, Sega released the Nomad which was a portable Genesis.

Would Nintendo release two systems that play the exact same games?  I don't know.  I do like the idea of them being lower res on the handheld and scaling to look better on the console version if one bought both.  You could also play the same game together, one on the handheld and one on the console at the same time.  It would bring the Wii U's gamepad to the level. But with the Wii U being a failure, would they double down on that and risk destroying their handheld market?

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1787 on: August 11, 2016, 03:38:33 PM »
Hot Patent reveals from Polygon! Gestures! Attachable controllers! I got this from http://News.Google.com so CHANGE THE TITLE OF THE THREAD!

http://www.polygon.com/2016/8/11/12441972/nintendo-nx-detachable-controller-gesture-based

EDIT: Hot Pix for the skimmers

« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 07:41:57 PM by ShyGuy »

Offline Agent-X-

• I speak Gibberish
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1788 on: August 11, 2016, 05:30:51 PM »
As long as gesture-based controls do not impedge or are not expected to replace traditional control, I'm cool with it.

I'd love to be able to do hand-based gesture type controls for things like menu navigation and control of apps like Netflix.

Will this be Nintendo's thinking? I'd almost bet money not since they almost never give more than two seconds thought to what I mostly use my Wii U for (watching Netflix!!!).

"Hmm. What can we do to make our console truly cool and differentiate it from our competitors? I know, let's make it so all the games have to be different in order to work on our platform! This will ensure that our libraries almost never actually overlap, which should make our customers happy, right?"

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
Re: NX hot scoops straight from Google!
« Reply #1789 on: August 11, 2016, 05:44:10 PM »
Reminder that Sony has a patent for "blocking used games" that came out with the PS4, and Nintendo owns a patent for a horse bag.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #1790 on: August 11, 2016, 06:39:42 PM »
People keep mocking the horse bag patent. Laugh it up. It's coming, and it will be excellent.

Nintendo Horse Bag. Coming 2017. Powered by AMD.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #1791 on: August 11, 2016, 06:44:20 PM »
The attachable controllers that aren't electronic and just reflect back IR BLOWS MY MIND. That's a ridiculously innovative use of astoundingly ancient tech, and both reduces electrical use while making controls almost completely configurable/versatile with new "dumb" plastic shells.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #1792 on: August 11, 2016, 07:10:14 PM »
People keep mocking the horse bag patent. Laugh it up. It's coming, and it will be excellent.

Nintendo Horse Bag. Coming 2017. Powered by AMD.

Pocket Card Jockey 2! You ARE the horse!

Eat it up, Nintendo fans! Eat it from the bag.

You will say neigh!

Offline MysticGohan

• View Profile
« Reply #1793 on: August 11, 2016, 07:24:21 PM »
Nvidia has announced nothing, other than X2 being used in cars. If they were doing chips for Nintendo, they would've told investors today.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1794 on: August 11, 2016, 08:03:46 PM »
Gesture stuff is Kinect, right?  So Kinect's fad appeal dies so hard that Microsoft strips it out of their console and Nintendo then thinks "yeah, let's do that"?  The key thing that was missing from the Wii U was the Xbox One's failed feature?

I don't have much (or really any) confidence in Nintendo on this stuff anymore but ripping of Kinect would honestly shock me.  Like it's TOO stupid to be believable.  If that's the NX, it is going to make the Wii U's sales look like the PS2 in comparison.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #1795 on: August 11, 2016, 08:34:43 PM »
Nvidia has announced nothing, other than X2 being used in cars. If they were doing chips for Nintendo, they would've told investors today.
Here's 13 straight years of Steve Jobs not telling investors what Apple was planning until it was announced to the public:
In 2000, Jobs told Macworld attendees that he was no longer "Interim CEO." Investors didn't officially know who the CEO of the company was until pretty much the rest of the world did.

Apple didn't announce everything to investors when it was on the verge of bankruptcy, and it still doesn't do so today as one of most valuable companies in the world. Nvidia isn't Apple; different companies do different things. That's the point. Just because AMD announced design wins to investors doesn't mean Nvidia will or has to.

Investor calls are mostly fluff anyway. A couple years ago, a Nintendo investor said, "I do not understand video games," then went on to say he was angry that Nintendo, a company that has made video games for over three decades, keeps talking about "such childish topics as 'what the future of video games should be'" during its shareholders' meetings.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #1796 on: August 11, 2016, 09:09:31 PM »

Nintendo's shareholders know as much about the NX as we do.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #1797 on: August 11, 2016, 09:36:41 PM »

Nintendo's shareholders know as much about the NX as we do.

I'd go as far as to say the majority of them actually know less about it than we do.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #1798 on: August 11, 2016, 11:29:07 PM »
I'd go as far as to say the majority of them actually know less about it than we do.

Plot twist, Nintendo is not doing the NX. The Playstation NEO is actually Sony buying out Nintendo.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline MysticGohan

• View Profile
« Reply #1799 on: August 12, 2016, 03:16:42 AM »
Here's 13 straight years of Steve Jobs not telling investors what Apple was planning until it was announced to the public:
In 2000, Jobs told Macworld attendees that he was no longer "Interim CEO." Investors didn't officially know who the CEO of the company was until pretty much the rest of the world did.

Apple didn't announce everything to investors when it was on the verge of bankruptcy, and it still doesn't do so today as one of most valuable companies in the world. Nvidia isn't Apple; different companies do different things. That's the point. Just because AMD announced design wins to investors doesn't mean Nvidia will or has to.

Investor calls are mostly fluff anyway. A couple years ago, a Nintendo investor said, "I do not understand video games," then went on to say he was angry that Nintendo, a company that has made video games for over three decades, keeps talking about "such childish topics as 'what the future of video games should be'" during its shareholders' meetings.

Here's more fuel to the fire http://finance.yahoo.com/news/amd-revenues-hit-weakness-semi-130735686.html

Semi-custom business

AMD, which competes with Intel (INTC) and NVIDIA (NVDA) in the CPU (central processing unit) and GPU (graphics processing unit) market, dominates the gaming console market. It’s the sole supplier of semi-custom processors for Japan-based (EWJ) Sony’s (SNE) PlayStation 4 and Microsoft’s (MSFT) Xbox. It has also won an order for Nintendo’s upcoming console, codenamed “NX.â€