Author Topic: Switchmas Eve Rumors and Speculations Thread  (Read 668726 times)

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
Re: NX Rumors and Speculation Thread (CSI:Sweden Zoom and Enhance! EDITION)
« Reply #825 on: March 23, 2016, 03:32:32 PM »
Another flaw with touchscreen buttons is what is the selling point?  Touchscreen buttons are popular with phones and tablets.  Core gamers stick with dedicated videogame systems partially because they feel they need buttons to have decent controls.  If Nintendo takes that away then why would we buy their product?  It is missing one of the key selling points of a dedicated videogame system.  If I'm okay with touchscreen controls my phone is right in my pocket.  What do I need an NX for?  Now a naïve corporate suit would think "Touchscreen buttons are popular!  Let's use them on our videogame system." but making a videogame system more similar to a phone is going to make it less of an essential purchase.  It needs to do the opposite and prove that it has a reason to exist by being different from a phone.

And let's be really optimistic and assume Nintendo somehow revolutionizes how touchscreen buttons work and that videogames can be done right with them.  So why doesn't Apple just copy that for the next iPhone/iPad and put Nintendo out of business?  These are devices people are already going to buy.  If you lower games to their level then people will just stick with phones and tablets.  If you make better gaming possible within the limitations of those platforms then people will just stick to them.  "You need buttons" is an important "fact" for Nintendo to promote because it demonstrates that phones and tablets aren't good enough.  You need to buy a real videogame system, preferably from Nintendo.

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: March 23, 2016, 03:46:13 PM »
Nintendo might be aiming for a sleeker, more portable and savvy look. A screen with no holes in it for buttons to protrude might fit that image. Also, relying less on buttons means that the iphone/ipad target audience might respond a it better to the device, so there's that.

For games, especially action-centric titles like- oh, I don't know, platformers, character action games, and many others- tactile feedback is much more rewarding and responsive. Unless these touch buttons come with some sort of haptic feedback that is centralized around a specific area(since "rumble" on the entire device for one button press would be stupid), it is a clear step back, and not one I'm remotely interested in toying around with.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: March 23, 2016, 03:50:44 PM »
I sure hope this isn't it.  I won't buy it.
Just like you didn't buy Wii U after spending years complaining about it? Understand that no one believes you.

Anyway, I'm holding out hope that thing isn't the controller or at least the only controller. I can't see it being even remotely useable for Super Smash Bros. in particular due to the precision required for fighting games. I guess I wouldn't mind it being an optional accessory for... things. I'm also on #TeamButtons. Without more information, it just seems weirdly shaped for the hell of it while also lacking all the benefits of the GamePad.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 09:35:25 PM by Adrock »

Offline Nile Boogie Returns

• Tropical Freeze
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #828 on: March 23, 2016, 04:14:15 PM »
This thing will be awesome. just enough control to standout from the iOS/Android crowd without abandoning the hardcore us. Nintendo hasn't had a single control scheme in over 15 years. They are not about to change that now. I'd wait a few weeks (maybe days) before the next Direct  and make a judgement after a bit more information.

Edit:

Expect this to to connect directly to the TV with via a HDMI dongle (chromcast like)
« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 04:23:57 PM by Nile Boogie Returns »

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #829 on: March 23, 2016, 04:37:50 PM »
relying less on buttons means that the iphone/ipad target audience might respond a it better to the device, so there's that.

See my point is that that strategy doesn't make sense.  Why would the iPhone/iPad audience give a ****?  "See now we're just like your phone... except without the ability to text and phone and run apps... uh...."  That audience already has a phone.  They will not NOT have a phone unless Nintendo themselves offer one.  So you buy a Nintendo device that plays games with crappy touchscreen controls when you already have a phone and/or tablet that can play games with crappy touchscreen controls?  Why would anyone do that?

If Nintendo still thinks the old Wii/DS blue ocean crowd is just around the corner ready to come back they're fools.  With so many options for casual games in mainstream electronic devices that everyone already owns the only audience that will buy dedicated videogame systems are hardcore gamers, who will soundly reject trading buttons for a touchscreen.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #830 on: March 23, 2016, 04:53:25 PM »
I am also #TeamButtons. They're what separate true gamers from the filthy mobile casuals.

Also, scroll wheel shoulder buttons? I thought we all realized that the GC had the right idea for shoulder buttons?
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: March 23, 2016, 06:51:39 PM »
I think it would be funny if Splatoon did a Splatfest, Buttons vs Touchscreen. The former would probably win popularity... or would it?

Anyways yeah, as someone who doesn't like the GamePad, this thing somehow manages to look even worse. Way worse. I'm already super skeptical of Nintendo's next system(s) due to how many disappointing products they've released in the past five years, and so anything that looks like Wii U all over again would mean the first Nintendo system I don't buy (at least not for years, who knows what I'd buy at heavy discounts).

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #832 on: March 23, 2016, 07:11:34 PM »
See my point is that that strategy doesn't make sense.  Why would the iPhone/iPad audience give a ****?  "See now we're just like your phone... except without the ability to text and phone and run apps... uh...."  That audience already has a phone.  They will not NOT have a phone unless Nintendo themselves offer one.  So you buy a Nintendo device that plays games with crappy touchscreen controls when you already have a phone and/or tablet that can play games with crappy touchscreen controls?  Why would anyone do that?

If Nintendo still thinks the old Wii/DS blue ocean crowd is just around the corner ready to come back they're fools.  With so many options for casual games in mainstream electronic devices that everyone already owns the only audience that will buy dedicated videogame systems are hardcore gamers, who will soundly reject trading buttons for a touchscreen.
Because Nintendo desperately believes that the blue ocean DOES exist. That was the key reason they were successful in the days of the Wii, that's likely the only way they'll gain a new audience, seeing as the older one is shrinking.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #833 on: March 23, 2016, 07:52:36 PM »
Magnetic buttons could work, but that is strange...do we have remove and configure the button layout with each new game?  If they were going to do this controller design I wish they would have put the analog sticks like Sony did off to the bottom. 

That could still just be a prototype design and the final controller could have more buttons.  ( I think shoulder buttons and trigger buttons could work.  )

But I am not feeling confident.  Maybe it at a force touch feature like the new Iphones?

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #834 on: March 23, 2016, 09:48:47 PM »
Is there any proof in these pics that this is a Nintendo device?

Offline Wah

• Social Worker who's hip with the kids
  • Score: -44
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #835 on: March 23, 2016, 10:09:52 PM »
I'm a bit sceptical too, Magnetic buttons that you could move to wherever you want, now THAT would be cool.
Made you look ****.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #836 on: March 23, 2016, 10:17:45 PM »
Is there any proof in these pics that this is a Nintendo device?
No. I suppose they were taken next to a Wii U GamePad to be cheeky. I'm not ready to believe this, and if it's fake, it's better than most due at least partially to not being taken on a flip phone from over 10 years ago. I read claims that this might be 3D printed. That sure would be a lot of trouble to go through.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #837 on: March 23, 2016, 10:32:51 PM »
I wonder if this is some weird Chinese electronic device that controls a bluetooth stereo or something. Maybe it is real though, who knows?

Reggie Knows

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #838 on: March 23, 2016, 11:04:20 PM »
Anyone wanna guess what that random switch on the front there is supposed to be?

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #839 on: March 23, 2016, 11:12:32 PM »
I think that's a camera. I wonder what that taped over part is.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #840 on: March 24, 2016, 12:03:27 AM »
It's the A button, obviously.

#TeamButtons wins!

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #841 on: March 24, 2016, 06:56:16 AM »
According to Liam Robertson per a friend at Nintendo of Europe (who is apparently "a public figure"), the controller images are fake. And since so few people actually have access to NX prototype hardware or even know what it is, any leaks should be taken with "a pinch of salt." Make of that what you will. A few things:

1. Robertson is known to have good sources.
2. He has been slipped bad or slightly off info in the past (e.g. Shovel Knight Amiibo was not for Super Smash Bros.)
3. This was not cross-verified, just something he posted on The Twitter.
4. He isn't digging for NX info. Nintendo is so secretive that most people won't even tell him what they think of NX for fear of getting traced back.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #843 on: March 24, 2016, 07:49:01 AM »
And since so few people actually have access to NX prototype hardware or even know what it is, any leaks should be taken with "a pinch of salt."

If this is true, it makes me a lot more worried than the controller images did. It's way too late in the game for Nintendo to be that secretive with developers. I get wanting to avoid leaks, but unless it's not launching until late 2017 (which would bring its own problems), they need dev kits and detailed info to be in the hands of as many developers as possible.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #844 on: March 24, 2016, 08:53:47 AM »
Nintendo absolutely should be more forthcoming with information if it hopes to launch this year. At the same time, that doesn't guarantee support. With Wii U, Nintendo got a bunch of third parties to go on record and talk about how excited they were about the platform. What it got was empty praise and late ports then nothing. This is largely Nintendo's fault for once again sending out development kits late and releasing a half-baked console.

I imagine the people Robertson spoke to are mostly in the West where Nintendo is in a weird position. The vast majority of those big publishers care less about the handheld market where Nintendo is strongest. It's an uphill battle. That doesn't mean Nintendo should do nothing. However, separate reports had Nintendo targeting Japanese publishers. They have apparently had development kits for quite some time now. I think it's conceivable that Nintendo is working closely with them to get content out at or around NX launch. It may end up being a situation in which Nintendo gets less but better support. Ideally, Nintendo could lock down a variety of good third party support, but as we've seen in the last 20 years, it hasn't been able to do that. If those select Japanese third party titles perform well, Nintendo can use that to appeal to Western third parties because right now, it has very little to bring to the table.

Of course, Western publishers could still argue that only Japanese titles sell on Nintendo platforms then the problem is that they just don't want to support Nintendo, and there's really no solution for that.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #845 on: March 24, 2016, 12:27:22 PM »
The only time I ever wanted to arrange the placement of buttons was when Nintendo arranged them in an unconventional way on the Cube.  So solution to a problem Nintendo created themselves?  Actually that's like the easiest way to make a Nintendo rumour believable.

And since so few people actually have access to NX prototype hardware or even know what it is, any leaks should be taken with "a pinch of salt."

If this is true, it makes me a lot more worried than the controller images did. It's way too late in the game for Nintendo to be that secretive with developers. I get wanting to avoid leaks, but unless it's not launching until late 2017 (which would bring its own problems), they need dev kits and detailed info to be in the hands of as many developers as possible.

Skeptic: I'm not buying it because of that controller.
Damage Control: Don't worry it's a fake.  Very few companies have dev kits to leak in the first place.
Skeptic: So I should not buy it because the third party support at launch will be crap and that will result in weak initial sales which will turn off the third parties that are on board and discourage the rest from signing up?
Damage Control: ...

The NX seems to have made a lateral move from "fucked" to "shittered".

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #846 on: March 24, 2016, 02:18:00 PM »
I'm confused. Who is damage control in that dialog? Liam Robertson doesn't work for Nintendo.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #847 on: March 24, 2016, 03:02:05 PM »
Obviously, he's a corrupt games journalist who's being secretly paid by Nintendo to dispel rumours under the guise of an outside source. D'uh.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline TOPHATANT123

• Wear a hat that's foil lined in case an alien's inclined to probe your butt or read your mind
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #848 on: March 24, 2016, 07:47:52 PM »
https://youtu.be/EpkA2MPgmAg

Well there it is, perhaps the greatest fake leak of our time. They even sent Ian into full rampage mode!

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #849 on: March 24, 2016, 07:52:32 PM »
I was about to post this. I'm glad that's over.