Author Topic: Switchmas Eve Rumors and Speculations Thread  (Read 663962 times)

Online NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
Re: NX Rumors and Speculation Thread (Your guess is as good as mine EDITION)
« Reply #675 on: February 05, 2016, 12:19:48 AM »
I wasn't arguing that it sold based on the name, just that the name clearly didn't have any negative effect on sales. Also they said DS stood for Developer's System as well as Dual Screen, and never referred to it as either in any kind of marketing or really anywhere outside very gamer focused settings like E3 roundtables and such.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

« Reply #676 on: February 05, 2016, 12:36:25 AM »
Well sure, but there was something out there for gamers to reference. All I said was the name is kind of lame, gave my reasons why I felt that way and you replied with DS was a code name, the same old example people point to but DS did have dual meaning, we have nothing official on what the hidden meaning behind NX is, is it NExt Generation, Nintendo Extra, N Cross, it could be anything we don't know. It is really odd they are taking this long to talk about it though, no news at all on this, or any official word on new games. What about QoL are they still working on that if so when do they start talking about it?
You can call me Mikey if my username is too long.
My favorite games are: Minecraft, Star Wars, Mario, DK, Zelda, Ninja Turtles, and Call of Duty,
I own Wii U, PS4, PS3, and PC.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #677 on: February 05, 2016, 10:39:06 AM »
Nintendo: Dual Significance.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: February 05, 2016, 01:36:57 PM »
"Xbox" sounds sillier without the history behind it. The console was originally pitched as the "DirectX Box," named after Microsoft's API.
Ah, I'm sure I probably heard about that back in 2001, but wouldn't remember it now. The name makes more sense with that history, but I still think it sounds stupid. But that's my point, it doesn't matter if a name sounds stupid, as long as it isn't confusingly stupid.

Of course, when it comes to sequentiality, they need to come up with a decent enough name in the first place. And if a company has a system that isn't very successful, I could see wanting to move away from that branding and trying something new. Wii U 2 won't work for both those reasons, as well as possibly getting themselves into legal trouble with the band U2. Then again, being associated with U2 may also make the system more popular... But yeah, in the past most systems got new names even when the predecessor was successful; I don't see what would be wrong with NES 2, Genesis 2, etc. Though Super NES wasn't bad.

Also, as dumb as it sounds, I do think they shouldn't use the letter X in the name because of the Xbox. Microsoft sort of "own" the letter as part of a name for a game system, so you never know what kind of perception that would lead to. And why risk it?

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: February 05, 2016, 02:29:47 PM »
Here are some personal anecdotes related to Nintendo names.  My brother didn't know the Wii U even existed until last year when I started expressing interest in trying to find a cheap Wii U for Mario Maker and Xenoblade.  He sure as hell knew about the Wii but had no knowledge of the Wii U and had to clarify with me what the difference between it and the Wii was.

Although the DS was very successful I always have to explain to my parents what the hell it or the 3DS is if I mention it in conversation.  I usually say "eh... Game Boy" and they're like "Oh yeah I know what a Game Boy is".  I think for their age group a short acronym comes across as too technical and thus too complicated.  "Game Boy" consists of clear words that they already know so it's easier to remember and put into context.  Hell my parents just hear "DEE-ESS" and have no idea what weird made-up word I just said.  The DS brand is over ten years old and yet every time my parents see me playing it and ask what it is and I respond "DS" they get this confused stare like they don't understand my answer.  And there is no point explaining the difference between a Wii and Wii U.  One made up word now appended with another one that sounds like the English words "we" and "you" but arranged in a way that makes them gibberish?  The **** they were ever going to understand that.  Names like PlayStation, Xbox and even Gamecube are actually pretty good because they just combine words that everyone of any age knows.  Sony has it best.  PlayStation is an easy word for all ages to grasp, gives an indication that it is at least entertainment based and the whole 1,2,3,4 naming convention is really intuitive.  PlayStation 4?  Hmmmm, must have been released after the PlayStation 3.

« Reply #680 on: February 05, 2016, 03:19:09 PM »
I got tired of explaining to people Wii U was a whole new console so I stopped calling it Wii U and just say the new Nintendo system. My parents had a Wii they loved it, when I got the Wii U they asked me to hook it up to their Wii. I still can't get them to understand it is not a attachment for Wii. Doesn't help that it plays Wii games and I happen to have a few of those too. Mom wanted me to get Mario Maker for her Wii and I had to once again explain how it won't work on hers, and she wanted me to get her a tablet for her Wii.

I know anecdotal but naming wise Wii U was a mistake. Hell I just had the cable guy at my house and was telling him I am a gamer, I have a PS3, a PS4 and a Wii U and he said I have a Wii too, its great and I showed him mine he was confused why mine was bigger than his and I said it was a Wii U not a Wii and he asked whats the difference.

To be fair not everyone is going to get it though, my dad used to tell people I had an Xbox back when I had a Game Cube and I always corrected him and he would invite people over to play games and they would show up expecting Halo and I pulled out a GC, we would play some Smash Bros or some Mario Kart.
My favorite games are: Minecraft, Star Wars, Mario, DK, Zelda, Ninja Turtles, and Call of Duty,

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #681 on: February 05, 2016, 11:01:25 PM »
Honestly, at this point, I wonder how many people would reply, "What's that?" or "Nintendo still makes videogame systems?" if Nintendo didn't reuse the 'Wii' name.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: February 05, 2016, 11:29:48 PM »
I don't see why Reggie can't be like "that's a stupid name!" and not get fired.

I'm in favor of naming systems after things that are cool; like animals.

It works with cars

Mustang Jaguar Cobra Sable Viper Beetle Impala Ram Bronco Gremlin Firebird Thunderbird

Nintendo Ninja, Nintendo Neptune, Nintendo Nirvana,

Nintendo NX sounds cool too
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: February 05, 2016, 11:56:49 PM »
I was Amiibo shopping around Christmas and over heard a mom confused about Wii and Wii U. I couldn't believe it was still happening.

I like the NX code name but I understand the idea that it could be troublesome with the Xbox brand floating around. I like Nintendo Cross as well but would religious freaks really get up in arms about it and have it result in something meaningful?

Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: February 06, 2016, 10:03:37 AM »
Nintendo has the awkward situation of inserting the name of the company into their product names, but they don't have to say that the 'N' in NX stands for Nintendo. But anyway, michaelbaysuperfan616, your argument has no merit. They can call it the Nintendo NX, and everyone else will just call it the NX. No one talks about their Microsoft Xbox One, or their SONY PlayStation 4, they call them Xbox One (or just Xbox, or Xbone) and PS4. DS does not officially stand for anyting - some people assume that it means "Dual Screen" but Nintendo used the acronym as shorthand for "Developer's System" - and if it did mean the former, then 3DS means "3 Dual Screen" - which makes no sense. They never said what the 'i' in "DSi" meant either, but one rep said it means "individual."

My point: quit whining. If they call it "Nintendo NX", or just "NX," then that's what they call it. If they call it something else, then that's what they call it. NX is not any worse than DS. No one is going to confuse it with Xbox. Seriously. You see two consoles in the store and think they're the same thing? You don't have internet? Maybe some grandmothers might buy the wrong game for their grandson on his birthday, but the grandson will realize the difference before he opens the game and exchange it at the store, or online, or whatever. Wii U and Wii - those are stupid, and potentially confusing, names - largely due to the "non-gamers" that bought so many Wii consoles.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: February 06, 2016, 11:56:57 AM »
Ah, I'm sure I probably heard about that back in 2001, but wouldn't remember it now. The name makes more sense with that history, but I still think it sounds stupid. But that's my point, it doesn't matter if a name sounds stupid, as long as it isn't confusingly stupid.
Absolutely. When I think about it, "Xbox" is a stupid name, but when I talk about it in regular conversation, I don't think about the name being stupid. It's just "Xbox." Even if DirectX Box stuck, people likely would have just called it "Xbox" anyway because it's easier which was probably the entire reason behind truncating it. The branding isn't as important as the message. Give people something they want, and it doesn't matter what the thing is called. We'll all get used to it.
DS does not officially stand for anyting - some people assume that it means "Dual Screen" but Nintendo used the acronym as shorthand for "Developer's System"
It does on both counts. The explanation is on Nintendo's website: "To our developers, it stands for 'Developers' System,' since we believe it gives game creators brand new tools which will lead to more innovative games for the world's players. It can also stand for 'Dual Screen.'" I'm only bringing this up because:
Nintendo has the awkward situation of inserting the name of the company into their product names, but they don't have to say that the 'N' in NX stands for Nintendo... They can call it the Nintendo NX, and everyone else will just call it the NX...

If they call it "Nintendo NX", or just "NX," then that's what they call it. If they call it something else, then that's what they call it. NX is not any worse than DS. No one is going to confuse it with Xbox.
Agreed. I would like to add that even if Nintendo insists on an explanation for the name, it stops being a thing because most people won't remember it if they were even privy to that information in the first place. Outside of these meager forum discussions, no one ever talks about why Nintendo called its handheld "Nintendo DS" or its console "Wii." They're just what we call them now.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: February 06, 2016, 08:16:21 PM »
also, don't forget the x in Xbox also means X as in unknown variable. When people used to discuss consoles made by companies other than Nintendo, Sony, or Sega we would call it an X box. We didn't know who would make the xbox ultimately and we didn't know what they would call it.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: February 07, 2016, 09:24:55 AM »
It does on both counts. The explanation is on Nintendo's website: "To our developers, it stands for 'Developers' System,' since we believe it gives game creators brand new tools which will lead to more innovative games for the world's players. It can also stand for 'Dual Screen.'" I'm only bringing this up because:
That's kind of my point (and maybe you're agreeing with me?) - yes, to Nintendo, internally, and among developers, it means "Developer's System" but the system itself, its packaging, or its marketing, has never explained what it stands for. It's just "DS" and "3DS" and people buy it because of what it is, without regard to what it's supposed to mean.
Give people something they want, and it doesn't matter what the thing is called. We'll all get used to it.
Exactly.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #688 on: February 07, 2016, 09:28:27 PM »
Xbox and Playstation don't need the company names in them because they're brands.  I think Nintendo was trying to make "Wii" to a brand (not just a name).

Personally, I think Nintendo is best off throwing their name back into the title of the system, but giving it a strong enough name to carry itself and be iterated upon (if desired).

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
Re: NX Rumors and Speculation Thread (The rumor well is drying up! EDITION)
« Reply #689 on: February 08, 2016, 12:50:02 AM »
I don't see why Reggie can't be like "that's a stupid name!" and not get fired.

I'm in favor of naming systems after things that are cool; like animals.

Nintendo Thundercougarfalconbird?
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

« Reply #690 on: February 08, 2016, 10:22:56 AM »
They could just call it "The Nintendo" or even "Nintendo X" and it would be OK.
I don't think the name matters at all in terms of sales either, never said it does, but it does matter in consumer confusion and the last thing Nintendo needs is any excuse for customers to not get excited for the machine. Instead of taking the approach of just make a machine that fits Nintendo's definition of a console and throw it out there quirks and all, they desperately need to make something that checks ever box and gets everyone excited without any major hold up that causes them to think twice. The name is trivial but it can affect perception which can be hard to overcome. Say what you will about Wii sales, it DID NOT have good perception it sold well despite that, mostly, no entirely on the strength of Wii Sports. Everything else was the same old Nintendo we have been dealing with 1996. 20 years of crap Nintendo coming off barely 10 years of Great Nintendo, no wonder Nostalgia isn't enough to keep them a strong force anymore, they are running out of good will when it comes to that nostalgia.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #691 on: February 08, 2016, 12:04:11 PM »
If you have consumer confusion, you have a sales problem.  One can cause the other.  The name is a factor in that.  Yeah, yeah; marketing, news coverage; blah, blah, blah.

« Reply #692 on: February 08, 2016, 03:33:24 PM »
It could lead to some loss of sales but not really, it then falls on the sales rep to explain the difference. With Wii and Wii U yes it can be confusing, but with a brand new console, unless they name it the Nintendo Power Station or the Nintendo Box there isn't going to be confusion between their machine and their competitions machine.

Damn you Nintendo gives us SOMETHING so we can stop bickering over what the name is or isn't going to not be.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: February 09, 2016, 04:02:32 PM »
There will always be at least some confusion over new products, be it from indifference, ignorance, or whatever else. They can still try to choose a name that would result in less of it than some others might, and I personally feel they can do better than NX. Sure, they could also do a lot worse, but still.

Offline sudoshuff

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: February 09, 2016, 09:12:06 PM »
I would actually be OK "The Nintendo", or some variation of their name, with some really cool Kanji in the logo.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: February 21, 2016, 12:16:12 AM »
NintenGen is run by this dude who posts on neogaf as Trevelyan9999 (he also goes by SuperMetalDave64 on The Youtube). He posted two interesting NX stories recently. The first is a rumor that both Final Fantasy VII Remake and Final Fantasy XV are being ported to NX. He doesn't claim this as anything but a rumor. His source has supposedly been right about things in the past. The second is a bit juicier as he's passing it off as news rather than rumor: NX is definitely launching in 2016 and Zelda Wii U is a launch window game. He claims to have received this information from a verified source within Nintendo.

Is there any reason to believe him?

Well, he has something to lose. He runs his own website and a Youtube channel that would immediately lose traffic if he's a fraud. He also faces being perma-banned from neogaf. My understanding of neogaf is that if you claim to have sources or actually be an insider, they make you prove it via private message to the moderators. He sent his proof earlier today and is pending approval. In fact, he's been pretty adamant about wanting to get this done which is the exact opposite behavior of someone dicking around.

I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. He didn't have to start posting on neogaf again where his credibility would immediately be called into question. Sources reaching out to Youtubers isn't a new thing either. Liam Robertson/Tamaki/Unseen64 started by doing his own investigative work on cancelled games and slowely built contacts over the years. Robertson was a guest on a podcast I listened recently, and he detailed how he got started. Sometimes developers reach out to him because they like his channel and his work.

Neither of these NX bits are that surprising. Cloud appearing in Super Smash Bros. made an NX port of the Remake seem like something that could actually happen. If Nintendo drops optical media, it would be so fitting for Nintendo to not only get the game but get it on a cartridge/card. I'm not that excited about the Remake; I just want that to happen. I would definitely buy it if all the episodes were on a single card.

NX launching in 2016 with a port of Zelda Wii U at or around launch isn't particularly sexy news. I figured both would happen once NX was announced last year. I'm not bragging; it just seems like common sense.

Anyway, here's an idea I've been noodling around for a few days: what if NX-Handheld supported Google Chromecast? I feel like that's the closest to a hybrid device that one can hope for. This begs the question: if the console and handheld have a largely shared library, why would anyone bother with the console? Because the handheld is still just the handheld. It'd be stretching the picture, and it's definitely not HD. That will be good enough for some people, not everyone. I think Nintendo knows that.

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: February 21, 2016, 12:45:28 AM »
I'm only buying Zelda Wii U for one console.

If Final Fantasy XV comes to the system, that would be neat, but not if its a year-and-a-half late bloomer like some Wii U ports were. The Final Fantasy VII remake is going to suck so there's no reason to be excited for that.

It's weird- if the NX ends up being a handheld, I'll be really excited, but honestly, if it's a console, there's no way I'm picking it up close to launch. The Wii U has been such a sore spot and I don't really think I can get myself all excited for a new console just yet. It needs to have a bit of promise.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: February 21, 2016, 09:29:42 AM »
Chromecast (at least the first generation) has a little lag if you cast a game to it (though it isn't *horrible* - at least not for games where maybe 50ms lag is acceptible - a 2D Mario game would be unplayable though), at least with my Nvidia Shield Portable. Could be be cause it only supports 2.4Ghz WiFi, the newer model does ac.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 09:33:38 AM by Brandogg »

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: February 21, 2016, 10:13:08 AM »
The Final Fantasy VII remake is going to suck so there's no reason to be excited for that.
Why do you think it going to suck? I'm not going to argue; I'm just curious.
Chromecast (at least the first generation) has a little lag if you cast a game to it (though it isn't *horrible* - at least not for games where maybe 50ms lag is acceptible - a 2D Mario game would be unplayable though), at least with my Nvidia Shield Portable. Could be be cause it only supports 2.4Ghz WiFi, the newer model does ac.
I was trying to come up with some "brand-new concept" ideas. With Nintendo embracing mobile, it'd be a good for NX to support different technologies. Nintendo could always make its own streaming dongle, but the point was to keep cost down as in this could be an extra thing the handheld could do if you already had a Chromecast or wanted one. The handheld and streaming dongle would close the price gap with the console. I suppose this wouldn't be a terrible thing since if you want a console, you'd get the console, and the dongle would still be optional.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: February 21, 2016, 12:44:53 PM »
Has Nintendo unveiled a console/handheld and then released it in the same calendar year?
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV