Author Topic: Switchmas Eve Rumors and Speculations Thread  (Read 664140 times)

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
Nintendo should go private, honestly.

Pretty much, of course that's one of the reasons why Iwata spent like a billion dollars to buy most of Yamauchi's shares after he died from his family a few years ago.  Nintendo is at least aware how stupid many of their investors are and made the necessary steps to insure these idiots aren't able to gain even more power, because if they did the company would pretty much turn into Konami.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline rlse9

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
Wow, that's just ridiculous, does Apple's stock take a hit when rumors of the iPhone 7 mean that the iPhone 6 is going to take a hit in sales?  I wonder what the stock price would have done if they had announced that the NX wouldn't impact 3DS/Wii U sales.  "It's not really of interest to anyone buying the products we currently make, but it's ok because it won't impact their sales at all..."

Offline Parallax Scroll

• Score: 0
    • View Profile

This is interesting.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=191406998&postcount=614

Quote from: Kiddy Dong;191406998
For those of you hungry for some leaks, there's a guy on reddit who claims he has access to the NX's operating system. He says he's part of a group contracted by Nintendo to find exploits in the OS to run unsigned code (homebrew).

According to him, the OS build for NX compiles for ARM, and there's another build which compiles for PowerPC (likely for a Wii U OS update). There's also drivers for Google Fi, which he says lends credibility for a portable device. It also makes heavy use of Material Design in the OS.

https://np.reddit.com/r/NintendoNX/comments/3xuumg/rumor_nintendo_to_unveil_nx_in_january_at_ces/cyasp1u

Of course, this is the internet and you'd be a fool to not take this information with a grain of salt. But judging from his post history, he seems like he knows what he's talking about. It's certainly believable enough, and reads like it's relevant developer information as opposed to wild fan speculation. Take it or leave it, I guess.

The guy on reddit seems to have some believable, developer-centered (not fanboy-centered) information.

As always, take with a grain of salt.

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
I would just like to comment on a few statements made earlier in this thread, but first I would like to address the Wii U. Has anyone ever considered that it's stupid design and nature was an excuse to easily transition its products into handheld backwards compatibility? I mean, the clamshell design of the DS is comfortable (in my opinion), portable, and makes for great screen economy, so the Wii U being a more direct transition into NX as a handheld would justfiy a lot of its under-usage of gyro, emphasis on DS virtual console, and scaled back tech.

Eh, I'm tired. I'll tackle the other comments tomorrow.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
Splatoon didn't cater to nostalgia and yet it is one of the most important games Nintendo has released in years.

I would say Splatoon is one of the most important games Nintendo has released in years because it didn't cater to nostalgia.

Nintendo should go private, honestly.

Pretty much, of course that's one of the reasons why Iwata spent like a billion dollars to buy most of Yamauchi's shares after he died from his family a few years ago.  Nintendo is at least aware how stupid many of their investors are and made the necessary steps to insure these idiots aren't able to gain even more power, because if they did the company would pretty much turn into Konami.

Meh. Stock price doesn't really impact your financials.  Nintendo needed Yamauchi's shares to prevent them from hiring and firing management all willy-nilly. Market over reactions are always to be expected.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 02:21:06 PM by nickmitch »
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
As a counter argument, Splatoon caters to turn of the century Nickelodeon/Dreamcast Nostalgia.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
I don't know if you'd call it "nostalgia".  It doesn't invoke that "yearning" for an older time as much as it tries to invoke the same kinds of ideas.  The silly, messy, colorful fun doesn't make me think "Yeah, 90s stuff!" but I'd be lying if I said that bright orange paint doesn't make me think of Nickelodeon.  So, maybe it's the same.  Maybe it's just not invoking nostalgia in a way that isn't exploitative and repetitive though like those buzzfeed articles that are all, "Here's a bunch of .gifs from 90s shows!".

At one time all those games that inspire this nostalgia craze actually were cutting edge, original ideas. So what ever happened to the Nintendo that had more than ONE new franchise per generation? Is Splatoon really their only original idea for Wii U? If so then NX might be in trouble. Wii did both nostalgia and original very well, the problem was it did nostalgia too well and original wasn't always good.
You can call me Mikey if my username is too long.
My favorite games are: Minecraft, Star Wars, Mario, DK, Zelda, Ninja Turtles, and Call of Duty,
I own Wii U, PS4, PS3, and PC.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
Well, they bought original ideas from Platinum.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
Well, they bought original ideas from Platinum.

That's a fair point, Nintendo has a history of commissioning outside companies to produce new ideas for them.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
Yeah, it really speaks to how Nintendo is getting "too small" to maintain two consoles.  They really need to expand either organically (hiring) or inorganically (buying).  Personally, I'd like to see both.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
That's some of the logic in setting up so that at least some games are playable across both platforms. If one team can support both of them simultaneously that increases their reach without much more in the way of resources.

What I want to see though, is build a new studio from scratch, in the vein of EAD Tokyo, on a more regular basis. Nintendo built that team over a decade ago, and it's gone on to make some of the best games the company's put out in that span, but they haven't tried to do it again. They need to be putting together a team like that every 4 or 5 years, at least.

J.P. Corbran

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
That's some of the logic in setting up so that at least some games are playable across both platforms. If one team can support both of them simultaneously that increases their reach without much more in the way of resources.

See, I think that will only hurt the situation, if you currently own both platforms.  Just for the sake of argument, let's say Nintendo has capacity to make 10 games a year, 5 handheld, 5 console.  A platform that scales up/down still limits you to 10 games.  However, some of those handheld games will scale up, to some degree, meaning they need extra development time (whether that's HD graphics or a splitscreen mode).  That slows down the handheld releases.  So, you kind of end up in a situation where you get more Wii U games at the expense of 3DS games.  Now, if you just had a Wii U, then that's gravy.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
Something like the next New Super Mario Bros. game could be on both without much extra work. You'd need better art assets for the console version, but you could just start with those and scale them back when necessary. I don't think it'd be much of a hindrance.

J.P. Corbran

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
If NX is really just an updated Wii U, and not x86_64-based (or hell, even 64-bit ARM), then they might as well not even waste their time making the system.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
If Nintendo is listening to third parties even a tiny bit there's no way Hollywood and Broadway are staying in there another cycle. ARM makes a lot of sense for Nintendo's MO, with the DS and 3DS bot using it, as well as the mobile phone platforms they're starting to support. I honestly think that's more likely than them going x86 like PS4 and Xbox One.

J.P. Corbran

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
This is interesting.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=191406998&postcount=614
Quote from: Kiddy Dong;191406998
For those of you hungry for some leaks, there's a guy on reddit who claims he has access to the NX's operating system. He says he's part of a group contracted by Nintendo to find exploits in the OS to run unsigned code (homebrew).

According to him, the OS build for NX compiles for ARM, and there's another build which compiles for PowerPC (likely for a Wii U OS update). There's also drivers for Google Fi, which he says lends credibility for a portable device. It also makes heavy use of Material Design in the OS.

https://np.reddit.com/r/NintendoNX/comments/3xuumg/rumor_nintendo_to_unveil_nx_in_january_at_ces/cyasp1u

Of course, this is the internet and you'd be a fool to not take this information with a grain of salt. But judging from his post history, he seems like he knows what he's talking about. It's certainly believable enough, and reads like it's relevant developer information as opposed to wild fan speculation. Take it or leave it, I guess.

The guy on reddit seems to have some believable, developer-centered (not fanboy-centered) information.

As always, take with a grain of salt.

So what this "rumor" sounds like to me is that Nintendo is finally working closely with Google to get the base programming right, so they have a solid software foundation to Nintendofy across formats.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 09:12:14 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
Its not too much to ask for to have their new console be more powerful than xbox one and ps4.

They are already 2+ year old systems. Have at least the same clock speed, have more cores, higher amount of ram. AMD should give Nintendo a discount because they have been doing business with them for a long time, it seems like they had preference over Nintendo, and then suddenly Microsoft got the good ****.

Looking at the comparison between xboxone and ps4, i never knew they were that similar! Both have the same family of APU and GPU processors, the same amount of ram....jeez.

By now using an AMD Jaguar chip in a console must be pretty cheap. With a Radeon GCN.  So millions of these related chips have been selling in 2 consoles. The more of these chips they sell the cheaper they are by economy of trade.

Nintendo could re-use these chips, double the ram, and put in the wii u processors for backwards compatibility.

That would make sense...probably not happening.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
Its not too much to ask for to have their new console be more powerful than xbox one and ps4.

This is such a frustrating sentence.  11 years ago I would never feel like asking for a console to be more powerful than ones from two years before is something that needs to be worded in a delicate way.  We didn't ask, we assumed, because there was no other way to go about it.  Yet here I find that if Nintendo is even on-par that that would be worth celebrating.  Let's not mince words.  The NX is more powerful than the other consoles or it will flop.  Not a discussion.  That is the bare minimum requirement for a success.

Looking at the comparison between xboxone and ps4, i never knew they were that similar! Both have the same family of APU and GPU processors, the same amount of ram....jeez.

I think that just demonstrates how hard it will be for Nintendo to regain any third party support if they get cute and do too many things in a goofy Nintendo way.  The other consoles get largely the same games because it is so easy to port between the two of them.  The XB1 isn't even doing that well but if it's really easy and cheap to get your game on that platform as well, why not?  If you have to jump through hoops for a console that has a small market share?  That can limit the profit margin quite a lot if you have to put any serious development time into it.  You have your sales potential, which is limited by the userbase size, and you have the development costs.  If the development costs are too high you lose money.  Simple math, simple business logic.  The sales potential is going to be low on the NX for quite a while so the development cost needs to be cheap or no one will support it and it will make perfect business sense for them not to.

Easy ports or no third party support.  No third party support, no sales.

I was just going to say something similar to Ian, NX had better be more than just slightly more powerful than the other two. It needs to be DC vs. N64 at bare minimum in terms of step up, probably even higher than that. Right now the longer they wait the more my hype/hope for this machine winds down. I had been very optimistic before on the whole two consoles one OS or one machine that does both home and portable gaming, because it means more games faster. But having strong third party support also means more games faster too.
My favorite games are: Minecraft, Star Wars, Mario, DK, Zelda, Ninja Turtles, and Call of Duty,

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
3rd Party ports that the XBone and PS4 are getting won't save the console either.  People who want to play those games probably already have those systems.  Nintendo needs a system devs are willing to make exclusives for; good exclusives, not the crap we got on Wii.  It's gotta have a hook that makes people want to try it and that games can deliver on.

3rd Party ports that the XBone and PS4 are getting won't save the console either.  People who want to play those games probably already have those systems.  Nintendo needs a system devs are willing to make exclusives for; good exclusives, not the crap we got on Wii.  It's gotta have a hook that makes people want to try it and that games can deliver on.

That is a very narrow minded view, seriously. Nintendo NEEDS those games in addition to any true exclusives they can get or else they are not going to make it. Sure a lot of people already have those machines, but a console generation can last up to ten years, there is nothing that says every single person that is going to buy an Xbox One or a PS4 already has or that every single person planning on it won't change their mind if Nintendo actually offers a true, viable, alternative. Seriously your way of thinking is the utter nonsense that has gotten Nintendo into this mess of trying too hard to be too different.

Nintendo has not made a console truly on even footing with their competition and given it the support it needs since the SNES, there is nothing to say if they did it again they couldn't be that successful especially with a sea of people buying PS4 just because they know Nintendo won't do just that. Also coming a year or two behind won't be the end of the world especially if it is B/C because that gives it a little bit to tide some people over while they make the transition and a HUGE Zelda at launch could be just the game to sway people if the console is actually capable of running the exact same games, with enhancements in some cases hopefully, in addition to exclusives.

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
I don't know why we're arguing about power and ports when we all know the NX is a handheld.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!

That is a very narrow minded view, seriously. Nintendo NEEDS those games in addition to any true exclusives they can get or else they are not going to make it. Sure a lot of people already have those machines, but a console generation can last up to ten years, there is nothing that says every single person that is going to buy an Xbox One or a PS4 already has or that every single person planning on it won't change their mind if Nintendo actually offers a true, viable, alternative. Seriously your way of thinking is the utter nonsense that has gotten Nintendo into this mess of trying too hard to be too different.

Nintendo has not made a console truly on even footing with their competition and given it the support it needs since the SNES, there is nothing to say if they did it again they couldn't be that successful especially with a sea of people buying PS4 just because they know Nintendo won't do just that. Also coming a year or two behind won't be the end of the world especially if it is B/C because that gives it a little bit to tide some people over while they make the transition and a HUGE Zelda at launch could be just the game to sway people if the console is actually capable of running the exact same games, with enhancements in some cases hopefully, in addition to exclusives.

Nintendo doesn't have the mindshare that it used to.  It's past two consoles are looked at as a casual machine and a failure, respectively.  Buying a new Nintendo console is almost a risk to the consumer at this point.  I'm not saying Nintendo shouldn't get those ports, but those games coupled with another New Super Mario Bros, a barely iterative Mario Kart, and the mere promise of a new Zelda isn't going to win people over.  Especially if those games that really make the system (Splatoon, Smash, XCX) are few and far between.  Now, if Nintendo had a system where those ports could play or look better and sit alongside great Nintendo games, then they'd have something.

The console generation has already started and sales are slowing.  If you think tonnes of people will buy a Nintendo system just for the first party exclusives, then you're wrong.  The Wii U shows that.  If you think people who don't own an XBone or PS4 could be easily swayed, you'd also have another thing coming.  Those systems already have install bases, the NX would be starting from scratch.  Those systems will already have the 3rd party games (both released and in development).  Further, those systems are also going to be cheaper than a new-to-the-market console.  It's gotta have something that makes it stand out, whether it's a controller or just software design that addresses the short comings of the other consoles

The 3rd party ports are minimum requirement, sure. But I don't think Nintendo gets away with a by-the-books console on the same level as the PS4.  That console already exists.  It's the PS4. 

I don't know why we're arguing about power and ports when we all know the NX is a handheld.

Good point.