Author Topic: Switchmas Eve Rumors and Speculations Thread  (Read 663898 times)

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
Re: NX Rumors and Speculation Thread (Unprecedented partnership with Square Enix?)
« Reply #275 on: September 10, 2015, 10:33:28 PM »
I guess I misread what Spak-Spang was saying. I read it as a new OS for the 3DS *and* the Wii U as being what NX will be. But to answer the question, Wii U and 3DS have completely different architecture. Sure if they made a new console that had similar architecture as the Wii U, then they could do an OS upgrade on the Wii U (or just do the same OS with a different look on the new console) to make games compatible with both consoles, but that seems extremely unlikely. Sure that would be possible, but the new console would either have to be yet anther extension of the tired GameCube architecture, or again, CPU emulation on the new console. After all, that's basically what they did with the GameCube, Wii, and Wii U, as well as the DS and 3DS (same hardware architecture, not emulation).
« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 10:35:30 PM by Brandogg »
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
Re: NX Rumors and Speculation Thread (Unprecedented partnership with Square Enix?)
« Reply #276 on: September 11, 2015, 12:59:07 PM »
Well Nintendo can stick with the Cube architecture which benefits literally themselves alone and then the third party support can continue to be virtually non-existent or they can go with x86 architecture and stand a chance of getting including in multiplatform development.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: September 11, 2015, 01:02:33 PM »
That was my point. I imagine AMD is going to cut Nintendo off at this point though, unless they go with x86-64 in their next console. I think Nintendo would be wise to partner with Intel and/or Nvidia on their next console.

Offline Nile Boogie Returns

• Tropical Freeze
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: September 11, 2015, 08:43:27 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the Xbox360 based on the PowerPC and the Xbox One based on x86?

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: September 11, 2015, 10:11:19 PM »
Yes, and the original Xbox is x86, which is why there was originally no BC on the XBone, and very limited BC on the 360, and the reason there is no BC on the PS4 (PSX, PS2, PS3 are all PowerPC, PS4 is x86).
« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 10:13:15 PM by Brandogg »

• Tropical Freeze
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: September 11, 2015, 10:47:57 PM »
So if  Microsoft can have BC on 360 to ONE whats to say Nintendo can't have BC on Wii U to NX(HOME) even if they change to an x86 platform...which I agree they should really consider.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: September 13, 2015, 03:41:37 PM »
I didn't say they couldn't have it, it would just be difficult. The NX console would also have to either support the Wii U Gamepad, or have a gamepad nearly identical to it that uses the same protocols. It's probably not a very good idea to build upon the Wii U, after all, the userbase is pretty low, so limiting your system architecture, or spending the resources on allowing BC probably wouldn't be worth the effort. Wii U is a Nintendo-base user console, so they'll mostly be sold on the next console already.

• Tropical Freeze
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: September 13, 2015, 04:30:39 PM »
I didn't say they couldn't have it, it would just be difficult. The NX console would also have to either support the Wii U Gamepad, or have a gamepad nearly identical to it that uses the same protocols. It's probably not a very good idea to build upon the Wii U, after all, the userbase is pretty low, so limiting your system architecture, or spending the resources on allowing BC probably wouldn't be worth the effort. Wii U is a Nintendo-base user console, so they'll mostly be sold on the next console already.

Gotcha. I do think Nintendo will build on what they have with the Wii U, including the Gamepad. With that being said I think the NX will not require the Gamepad and also provide an improved HD option. The tech used in the GamePad isn't a problem as far as compatibly. I believe (as well as Nintendo) that the Wii U's failure was not due to tech for a either or standpoint (x86, AMD. PowerPc) but from a lack of robustness of that tech (lack of usable ram and OS) and software that shows the point

But for the sake of arguments, lets say Nintendo goes with IBM one more time, the benefits of that decision based merely on a technical standpoint and not looking at what the competition does could be quite nice. Graphically you could achieve similar results to the PS4/XBONE and even mid range alienware alpha with cheaper components and still keep your BC since the that chipset requires less robust RAM. (Still would require 4GB DDR5 dedicated to the CPU/GPU). Not sure about the NX Handheld and that makes me worry about how the 2 will interact

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: September 13, 2015, 04:41:20 PM »
The new system really needs to be x86 to have any hope of third party support. Whatever benefits there might be to sticking with the same architecture pale in comparison to what they'd stand to lose.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: September 13, 2015, 04:43:14 PM »
x86 is holding technology back as a whole.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #285 on: September 13, 2015, 04:48:27 PM »
That's true in some respects, but in terms of gaming that's the standard right now and developers aren't going to go out of their way to support Nintendo consoles given their historically weak third party sales, so they need to accommodate them.

J.P. Corbran

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: September 13, 2015, 07:44:50 PM »
Isn't there some emerging legal issue regarding the patents or somesuch behind x86 that's going to potentially cause a big shift away from it as a PC standard?

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: September 14, 2015, 02:52:28 AM »
Hey, who knows. Maybe the NX consoles will be powered by ARM architecture.

(DISTANT SCREAMING)

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: September 14, 2015, 03:22:45 AM »
Hey, who knows. Maybe the NX consoles will be powered by ARM architecture.

(DISTANT SCREAMING)

If they were going to insist on doing something other than x86 for some insane reason, that'd at least be a better choice than iterating on the GameCube a third time.

J.P. Corbran

• Tropical Freeze
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: September 14, 2015, 11:01:40 AM »

If they were going to insist on doing something other than x86 for some insane reason, that'd at least be a better choice than iterating on the GameCube a third time.

That is crazy  talk my friend. You want 3rd party support form the mobile void? Maybe NX Handheld but no way in hell for the Home Console!

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: September 14, 2015, 03:12:30 PM »
this is all crazy talk. The cpu type wont matter much in this upcoming generation. If NX can manage to have better graphics than ps3 and xboxone then it will be fine. If not, than no 3rd party support.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #291 on: September 14, 2015, 03:42:54 PM »
I think the real important thing is that some very specific effort is made to try to win third parties back.  They should be acknowledging that they have completely fucked that up over the last few generations and that it should be the top priority to fix that.  With the Wii U it comes across like they just designed the thing primarily for their own personal needs and if third parties could shoehorn in, great.  They stand a chance to improve it if they actually make some real effort to do so.

• Tropical Freeze
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: September 14, 2015, 04:06:50 PM »
With the Wii U it comes across like they just designed the thing primarily for their own personal needs and if third parties could shoehorn in, great. 

Yup. They built a "My first HD console." And this is coming from a staunch Wii U supporter. They took such a "good enough" approach that by the time they figured out the tech, It was already 3 years outta date. With that being said, IAN GO BUY A WII U NOW!

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: September 14, 2015, 04:42:30 PM »
Agreed. There are enough games on the system to justify the purchase. And since it is in a poor sales position a lot of the best games are heavily discounted if you look in the right places.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: September 15, 2015, 04:26:57 AM »
Maybe this is what NX is? NX could be basically a ps4 equivalent powered system with a mobile controller. The controller when away from the system can play games. The controller uses SD cards and games can be transferred from console to controller. When playing games on the controller the graphics are downgraded to about Ouya/WiiU quality. Price $500

Basically what would happen if you bought an upgraded DS and Wii U system, but they're just bundled together and the games work on both systems.

Also new advantages would be...multiscreen play, more co-op modes, no worry about reach for netflix. The thing has a wifi connection too.

this works into the nx operating thing because of scalable games.   NX home, NX mobile. They could sale the NX mobile separately to people who don't want the console.

Also gives Nintendo a chance to get into the mobile market(phones not this thing) and not feel guilty for abandoning its cash cow.

• Tropical Freeze
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: September 15, 2015, 08:55:00 AM »
Maybe this is what NX is? NX could be basically a ps4 equivalent powered system with a mobile controller. The controller when away from the system can play games. The controller uses SD cards and games can be transferred from console to controller. When playing games on the controller the graphics are downgraded to about Ouya/WiiU quality. Price $500

Basically what would happen if you bought an upgraded DS and Wii U system, but they're just bundled together and the games work on both systems.

Also new advantages would be...multiscreen play, more co-op modes, no worry about reach for netflix. The thing has a wifi connection too.

this works into the nx operating thing because of scalable games.   NX home, NX mobile. They could sale the NX mobile separately to people who don't want the console.

Also gives Nintendo a chance to get into the mobile market(phones not this thing) and not feel guilty for abandoning its cash cow.

Yup! Just add a switch on The NX II to switch from Handheld mode to controller mode and we're in business. (switch could be virtual)

Also, I am now expecting AR HD/4k from Nintendo.

Having  HD/4K AR is a lot more feasible since what ever device is rendering the frame doesn't have to do an entire 1980 x 1080p screen.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #296 on: September 15, 2015, 01:24:22 PM »
Perm, that is an awesome idea!  The only problem I see is the price might be too high.  Essentially they're forcing someone to buy both the handheld and console at the same time when they might just want one.  I think some ability to buy just the handheld needs to be available for parents wanting to buy their kids an inexpensive handheld for Pokémon.  The idea needs good marketing too to really make people aware of how the one system serves as a handheld and console.

Of course Nintendo is totally not going to do this.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: September 15, 2015, 04:10:50 PM »
but what if they stumbled upon it on accident? I can imagine the R&D people being like just screwing around with the WiiU remote and throwing some power in it and then being like...hey?!!

As far as the price...that's how much Xbox one cost when it came out. I don't like the price, but if I were predicting Nintendo's systems have been continually going up since Wii. They could sell the system separately for $300, but it would only come with a WiiU pro controller.

• Tropical Freeze
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: September 17, 2015, 05:25:55 PM »
New Rumor:

New Nintendo patent reveals shoulder button that also scroll on GamePad lite type controller.

Offline TOPHATANT123

• Wear a hat that's foil lined in case an alien's inclined to probe your butt or read your mind
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: September 17, 2015, 05:59:47 PM »
I don't think that resembles the NX controller, It seems like it 's just a generic controller they slapped together that uses very simple geometry to get the point across. Patent illustrations are never exactly works of art and the Wii U gamepad is just very easy to draw compared to something like a pro controller.

I see this as a cool feature they could easily include in the next device without adding much to the cost, not every game would use it but it's an extra feature you can put on the box. It would integrate well with the next web browser, you could use it to zoom in and out with a camera, switch weapons quickly in a shooter and maybe even use it for Atari 2600 games for the virtual console.