Author Topic: Switchmas Eve Rumors and Speculations Thread  (Read 663775 times)

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
Re: NX Rumors and Speculation Thread (Unprecedented partnership with Square Enix?)
« Reply #250 on: September 03, 2015, 11:53:32 PM »
^ also on my years old PC rig ;p

Gotta love x86 architecture.

I think it's crucial NX to be one as well, otherwise at this point you can kiss third parties goodbye.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 11:55:19 PM by azeke »
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
Re: NX Rumors and Speculation Thread (Unprecedented partnership with Square Enix?)
« Reply #251 on: September 04, 2015, 03:59:21 AM »
That laundry list mostly has things that sound good and what is desired with very few potential **** ups (no disc drive, heavy focus on anti-piracy). Which means I think it is complete horseshit, because we all know there has to be at least one obvious **** up for it to be a Nintendo console.

But it is nice to dream.

The piece of evidence that damns this for me though is backwards compatibility, I would not be able to accept a reality in which Nintendo goes through the tremondous monolithic amount of effort and money to make the NX backwards compatible with Wii U, but you can only play your physical games through the use of an external optical disc drive. Hahahahahahah no.

That to me makes the most sense given Nintendo's goal of having evergreen titles. If they can't sell Wii Us, Nintendo will definitely try to sell Wii U games for backwards compatibility. Obviously, not in a way that makes sense to us, but I will be surprised if Super Mario Maker and Mario Kart 8 are unplayable on the NX Home. As for the external optical drive, Nintendo would love to sell accessories and would bundle a game/amiibo with that thing.

Lastly, the Wii U GamePad would have to be compatible somehow because of amiibo.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: September 04, 2015, 08:48:01 AM »
The rumor doesn't take any major leaps of faith which makes it sound believable, but I don't know, something feels off. It seems reactionary to recent news perhaps in an attempt to seem more legitimate.
If they can't sell Wii Us, Nintendo will definitely try to sell Wii U games for backwards compatibility. Obviously, not in a way that makes sense to us, but I will be surprised if Super Mario Maker and Mario Kart 8 are unplayable on the NX Home. As for the external optical drive, Nintendo would love to sell accessories and would bundle a game/amiibo with that thing.
Considering how many people haven't played some of Wii U's best titles, I wouldn't be shocked if Nintendo releases NX versions of at least Splatoon, Mario Kart 8, and Super Smash Bros. for Wii U with all DLC included and maybe some extras (like including Ice Climbers in SSB) for $40 or $50 at/around launch. I know I'd say, "Ugh, not you too, Nintendo," then just buy the games anyway.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: September 04, 2015, 01:28:10 PM »
When does Nintendo re-release Mario Kart and SSB games outside of the VC?  They just make a new one.  What the hell does Mario Kart 8 have that is so damn essential that Mario Kart 9 won't have.  When Nintendo did the NPC titles on the Wii they didn't have NPC SSB Melee or NPC Double Dash.

Splatoon I could see a re-release because it was something brand new for only the Wii U.  Super Mario Maker would make sense but doesn't it really need the Gamepad?  I can't see that being standard issue even if they include backwards compatibility.  Any Wii U game that gets a "remaster" would need to be something that works on a normal controller.  If you have to have the optional Gamepad to play it that's niche enough they might as well sell you the Wii U version.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: September 04, 2015, 02:43:43 PM »
Just because it hasn't happened doesn't mean it can't. It isn't unreasonable to think Nintendo would consider leveraging some of Wii U's big titles to give NX more games at or around launch. Mario Kart 9 is the only sequel I could see Nintendo being ready because it released the last round of DLC a while ago, but if not, re-releasing a quality game a lot of people didn't play isn't a bad move. Just making a new Super Smash Bros. like you suggested is much easier said than done. Keep in mind Nintendo admittedly almost re-released Melee on Wii with online support had Sakurai not returned for Brawl so Nintendo at least considered a re-release. Super Smash Bros. for Wii U was in development for over two and a half years, was released incomplete, and the team is still working on content. At this rate, the soonest Nintendo could get a new Super Smash Bros out is 2018 and that's assuming Sakurai finishes DLC for the current Super Smash Bros. and immediately moves on to a sequel. He left HAL Labs because he didn't want to do that.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 02:53:13 PM by Adrock »

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #255 on: September 04, 2015, 04:44:29 PM »
Just because it hasn't happened doesn't mean it can't. It isn't unreasonable to think Nintendo would consider leveraging some of Wii U's big titles to give NX more games at or around launch. Mario Kart 9 is the only sequel I could see Nintendo being ready because it released the last round of DLC a while ago, but if not, re-releasing a quality game a lot of people didn't play isn't a bad move. Just making a new Super Smash Bros. like you suggested is much easier said than done. Keep in mind Nintendo admittedly almost re-released Melee on Wii with online support had Sakurai not returned for Brawl so Nintendo at least considered a re-release. Super Smash Bros. for Wii U was in development for over two and a half years, was released incomplete, and the team is still working on content. At this rate, the soonest Nintendo could get a new Super Smash Bros out is 2018 and that's assuming Sakurai finishes DLC for the current Super Smash Bros. and immediately moves on to a sequel. He left HAL Labs because he didn't want to do that.

Yeah, it still could happen.  Though I suspect Nintendo hasn't done that sort of thing with Mario Kart and SSB because they figure having more than one title in those series on the same platform will dilute the series or hurt sales in some way.  And what could they even call a SSB port?  The game's name is literally Super Smash Bros. for Wii U!

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: September 04, 2015, 06:14:44 PM »

Yeah, it still could happen.  Though I suspect Nintendo hasn't done that sort of thing with Mario Kart and SSB because they figure having more than one title in those series on the same platform will dilute the series or hurt sales in some way.  And what could they even call a SSB port?  The game's name is literally Super Smash Bros. for Wii U!
They'll call it Super Smash Bros. For NX (or whatever the final name of the system becomes). 

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: September 04, 2015, 07:03:04 PM »
They could call it Super Smash Bros. for Wii U for NX.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #258 on: September 04, 2015, 07:08:14 PM »

They'll call it Super Smash Bros. For NX (or whatever the final name of the system becomes). 

That name is reserved for the SSB designed specifically for the NX.  Oh wait, no, they could just call that one New Super Smash Bros. for NX.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: September 04, 2015, 07:14:07 PM »

That name is reserved for the SSB designed specifically for the NX.  Oh wait, no, they could just call that one New Super Smash Bros. for NX.

Following the tradition of stupid Japanese names (seriously, you should see how much of their anime follows this format), "Super Smash Bros.: The NX"
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: September 04, 2015, 08:50:15 PM »
What if Super Smash Bros. For Wii U will be THE last Smash Bros, and they'll just port it to each new system updating modes and DLC characters, renaming it for the next platform?

I'm just screwing around.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Nile Boogie Returns

• Tropical Freeze
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: September 04, 2015, 09:04:46 PM »
Stop this madness ....besides we all know that "for Wii U" is just a pun on 4.

Behold SUPER SMASH BROTHERS 4NX!

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: September 04, 2015, 09:28:48 PM »
Stop this madness ....besides we all know that "for Wii U" is just a pun on 4.

Behold SUPER SMASH BROTHERS 4NX!

No, it's SUPER SMASH BROTHER5 :P
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: September 04, 2015, 09:44:24 PM »
Too Sm5sh Too 4urious

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: September 09, 2015, 12:12:07 PM »
Too Sm5sh Too 4urious

Ahahahaha! This guy!

Ever since the ballot was announced I figured we would be getting SUPER Super Smash Bros NX Turbo Alpha & Knuckles. These 2 games started work in March of 2012! 2012! Both games are released and work will not finish until early 2016 at the earliest! If the ballot ends in October and they haven't decided everyone they are choosing yet it will take at least 6 months to finish all that up. (Honestly I'm certain they knew exactly who they would add 2 months after the ballot opened)

Still that is a ton work for the both games but especially the HD version that probably didn't get nearly as much sales as it deserved.

Remember that Smash 6 jobs listing that listed before the games even released? I have a good feeling that was for the DLC right now as well as getting ready for the super short Wii U life cycle. The massive amount of work that went into this game will be ported over to the NX. It will be the deluxe edition. All stages from both versions, a few new stages, Ice Climbers, 5-10 brand new characters, a few new modes, some new music, and all the DLC we have now right out of the box.

I just feel like too much work went into these games(and has yet to finish) to move on to a brand new Smash within the next 2 or 3 years.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: September 09, 2015, 04:53:42 PM »
Still believe the NX is a portable system.  The 3DS lineup (2016) is pretty damn sparse (one paper Mario game, an Zelda port, and the late translation Fire Emblem) which usually means Nintendo's gearing up for a change. 

Specs, I would place an portable system close to the power of the PS3/WIIU and top res to be no more than 720P. What's going be new--GPS, and maybe a phone contract service plan. 

Price point, $250 with one game and 16GB card.

• Tropical Freeze
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: September 09, 2015, 10:46:14 PM »
Still believe the NX is a portable system.  The 3DS lineup (2016) is pretty damn sparse (one paper Mario game, an Zelda port, and the late translation Fire Emblem) which usually means Nintendo's gearing up for a change. 

Specs, I would place an portable system close to the power of the PS3/WIIU and top res to be no more than 720P. What's going be new--GPS, and maybe a phone contract service plan. 

Price point, $250 with one game and 16GB card.

It most definitely is a handheld and it will be released next year,  however what s becoming increasingly more obvious is NX is more Nintendo's iOS than the name of a console. I'm starting to think that the naming convention of both devices will be the same.  EX. Handheld = DSX,  Console =NEX

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #267 on: September 09, 2015, 10:56:40 PM »
Don't forget the 2016 Game of the Year and the inevitable anniversary Pokemon game, plus there's always a shock localization or two.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: September 10, 2015, 09:45:18 AM »
Localizing Rhythm Heaven The Best will not be a shock...I hope...
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #269 on: September 10, 2015, 01:05:04 PM »
Replacing the successful system first while leaving the unsuccessful one to fester for another year is stupid... so I'm starting to become convinced that that IS Nintendo's course of action.  The best way to predict Nintendo is to think of what you would very specifically NOT do if you were calling the shots.

What happens if their next handheld for whatever reason struggles?  Remember how the 3DS initially didn't do to well.  So imagine that occurring while the Wii U struggles for another year.  What kind of profits does Nintendo show for that year?

It seems clear that there is a unified strategy for both platforms this next time around.  If the first one fails they likely will need to rework the other one to avoid the same fate.  What if the NX concept has some key feature that is a complete disaster?  If the handheld introduces the concept first and it bombs then they don't have anything solid to fall back on.  If they did the console first and it bombed they could hang on with the 3DS for a bit while they rethink their strategy.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #270 on: September 10, 2015, 08:20:43 PM »
The rumor that it is a platform and not a console could mean that they could update firmware to make the Wii U compatible or the 3DS compatible.  Let's say they update the handheld first.  The new handheld is around as powerful as the Wii U, however, the screen is smaller and the OS is crazy efficient, so that the CPU and RAM usage is better.  Now imagine if Nintendo do this and then upgrade the Wii U allowing the new NX platform/OS to be installed on the current Wii U while making memory usage more efficient and adding the immediate benefit of cross platform compatibility using the new handheld has a secondary tablet controller, adding system wide voice chat in the OS so that it is compatible with all games and much more...while still being able to play Wii U games.  I believe all this is possible.  That would give Nintendo a chance to have another year with Wii U on the market with some final games being released on the system.  It gives Nintendo a year for the new handheld to be out, and for Nintendo to update and fix any unforeseen problems with the new OS before the big console release.  Then in 2017, Nintendo can release a new console...it will be affordable but powerful, capable of playing Wii U games, the new portable games, and finally the new console games.     

• Tropical Freeze
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: September 10, 2015, 08:50:20 PM »
The rumor that it is a platform and not a console could mean that they could update firmware to make the Wii U compatible or the 3DS compatible.  Let's say they update the handheld first.  The new handheld is around as powerful as the Wii U, however, the screen is smaller and the OS is crazy efficient, so that the CPU and RAM usage is better.  Now imagine if Nintendo do this and then upgrade the Wii U allowing the new NX platform/OS to be installed on the current Wii U while making memory usage more efficient and adding the immediate benefit of cross platform compatibility using the new handheld has a secondary tablet controller, adding system wide voice chat in the OS so that it is compatible with all games and much more...while still being able to play Wii U games.  I believe all this is possible.  That would give Nintendo a chance to have another year with Wii U on the market with some final games being released on the system.  It gives Nintendo a year for the new handheld to be out, and for Nintendo to update and fix any unforeseen problems with the new OS before the big console release.  Then in 2017, Nintendo can release a new console...it will be affordable but powerful, capable of playing Wii U games, the new portable games, and finally the new console games.   

Very solid. Introduce a Brand New OS that can be scaled to current working tech. Seems difficult but very plausible. Nintendo seems to believe in the "tech" of the Wii U (Maybe to a fault) and if this is indeed possible, it would be very "Apple" like. Including old hardware in new tech is a very "blue ocean" type strategy. Building the "NX" brand to include multiple devices is a dangerous but logical step,

• Tropical Freeze
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: September 10, 2015, 08:56:31 PM »
Also, if NX has a monthly streaming service that can be a Netflix meets the shop and that service is scalable to all NX devices...well, that will be an interesting day.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: September 10, 2015, 09:08:15 PM »
They have completely different hardware architecture, that would not work unless there was some (seriously performance degrading) CPU emulation going on. The OS doesn't matter. A program that runs on Red Hat on an x86 is not going to run Red Hat on a PS3 unless it's recompiled for the Cell processor. Even if this was possible, then the new OS would still have to be compatible with all preexisting games and apps on both systems (and the old DS). This would also be a terrible idea on its own in general. A new console family with a new OS and similar architecture would be great.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

• Tropical Freeze
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: September 10, 2015, 10:06:21 PM »
They have completely different hardware architecture, that would not work unless there was some (seriously performance degrading) CPU emulation going on.

What has different architecture? Wii U and 3DS, or the 2 NX platforms? I can understand discounting the 3DS in the NX equation, adding BC to the next handheld can be added through a different method. However I firmly believe the Wii U could be added to the  "NX" platform. Most rumors point to the console being a "4k WiiU" (not in terms of output but an extension of existing tech) It could absolutely be done.