Author Topic: Switchmas Eve Rumors and Speculations Thread  (Read 670471 times)

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
Re: NX hot scoops straight from Google!
« Reply #1900 on: August 29, 2016, 10:07:28 PM »
If the NX is Parker based than it's going to future proof itself, if not then it's going to be in the same position Wii U was.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #1901 on: August 29, 2016, 10:16:22 PM »
And it's gonna be 300-400 dollars for a handheld by a company who makes most of its profit from the parents of children and from a fanbase that generally prefers style over raw graphical power.

This is a really dumb idea.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #1902 on: August 29, 2016, 10:35:44 PM »
I think the Wii U is basically the same.  It was a good idea, but the technology was not affordably achievable.  However, if it could be affordable and truly support 4 player local play then it would be a pretty good system.  They just need to focus...no more Wii if this is the controller concept drop all other concepts...period. 

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #1903 on: August 30, 2016, 01:50:08 AM »
I was holding out hope that there was something else going on with the NX besides being a tablet with a TV dock, but at this point I think that's what we're getting. Sounds like you can remove the controller parts for local multiplayer, or to use the touch screen only, neither of which use case sounds like something I'll do. Nor am I into portable gaming outside of longer flights. So, realistically, the NX hardware is not going to light my world on fire, and rumors about a home console version seem to have evaporated for the near-term.

But the scuttlebutt is that it's coming in cheaper than you might expect. I will probably be down with dropping $250 at launch to play Zelda and leave the thing docked to the TV. Graphically it should be a noticeable jump from the WiiU, and it'll have dozens of Nintendo games. All in all it should be fine. Although I have never quite understood the mindset that gets so hungup on the particulars of the hardware. I had basically no issues with the WiiU as such.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1904 on: August 30, 2016, 02:08:58 AM »
I find that Tokyo Mirage Sessions uses the Gamepad very well.  You get text messages on them from the other characters in the game and it's immersive to bring your head down and check as if you yourself actually got a message on your phone.  It's a very clever and fun idea.  Plus the game does what a lot of 3DS RPGs do where at lot of the stats and such are on the second screen.  But would I pay extra for these ideas?  No.  Would the game suffer greatly if it couldn't do them like this?  Not really.

Some people swear by the off-TV feature of the Wii U.  I never use it but I can get why some people with families and limited TV availability would like it.  But how much of a killer app is it?  How important is it that it would sway your console purchase towards a product that supported it?

That's the big risk of basing a console around a feature.  Even if it has some cool uses and even if it proves to be a very useful feature for some people it has to be REALLY impressive to be a major selling factor.  I think both 3D and the Gamepad suffered from the fact that they're neat features but not that amazing.  They weren't like motion control where it was fulfilling some game design fantasy that people had had since Pong.  No one ever thought "boy I wish my console had a tablet for a controller" so the reaction was mostly going to be "oh, that's neat I guess".

I don't think the tech isn't ready, I just don't think it's such an amazing feature that it matters.  In some alternate fantasy land where Nintendo could release something like the Wii U at the same price point as the competition that matches everything and also has the Gamepad, I don't think the Gamepad would make the slightest difference in attracting customers towards Nintendo.  Truly amazing, system-selling features are incredibly rare so basing your business strategy around coming up with such concepts makes no sense.  You'll have way more weak or just unexceptional features than you'll have brilliant ones and you can't live through multiple failed generations while waiting for the truly exciting feature to come along.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #1905 on: August 30, 2016, 02:35:07 AM »
I will only have 1 TV in my house and right now, I can tell you that an off-TV mode would be a blessing.  If Nintendo could figure out multiple streaming...even if it needs to put two separate CPUs to do the streaming that could be huge.  Possibilities could include allowing 2 different kids to watch different TV shows/movies.  (Imagine this plugged into a smart car partnership.)  Multi-user Multitasking could be a big thing.

The detachable controllers could basically make a platform that would be compatible with almost anything Nintendo has done.  Virtual Console, DS, 3DS, Wii U, NX games...only Wii games won't be natively supported...but WHAT IF those controllers on the side WERE upgraded Wii Controllers!!!!  Then you would have 100% full Nintendo game support in one package.  That would be a selling point.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #1906 on: August 30, 2016, 05:33:04 AM »
One of the worst things about Wii U was that it was compatible with 37 different controllers. Unlike Wii U, no one already has these swappable parts. The more things you have, the more likely you are to lose something. What if you only misplace the left side? Can you buy that individually?

Playing Virtual Console games in a platform's original layout targets a very specific audience, one I'm not sure is worth basing a major component of NX on. I like options, but simplicity is the key here. Nintendo must have a clear message with NX. Despite being known for over-explaining things, Nintendo never had a clear answer of what it wanted Wii U to be. I don't like the idea of detachable controllers because it complicates what should be a straight forward device.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1907 on: August 30, 2016, 06:26:49 AM »
As far as the price goes, if they were to go Parker I can imagine them lowering the price a couple years down the line, as opposed to what happened with Wii U.  Plus 3ds+ wii U would still be more expensive.

Maybe if they have some solid titles at launch the higher price might be worth it. They can dwindle into casual fair as the price goes down, and then ramp back up in a long generation.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #1908 on: August 30, 2016, 09:54:30 PM »
Hot rumor swirling around today is NX has a 'split' dpad and a share button

http://letsplayvideogames.com/2016/08/report-nx-to-feature-ps4-style-split-d-pad-and-share-button/

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #1909 on: August 30, 2016, 10:41:25 PM »
How do we know they're not just looking at the new Play Station mobile gaming unit?
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #1910 on: August 30, 2016, 11:23:45 PM »
>implying Sony will ever develop another standalone gaming handheld
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1911 on: August 30, 2016, 11:47:04 PM »
CONFIRMED: The new gimmick is flipping the screen upside down....

NOBODY CARES...

Offline MysticGohan

• I have a large position in nVidia.
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #1912 on: August 31, 2016, 12:49:15 AM »
http://www.idigitaltimes.com/nintendo-nx-update-handheld-rumors-debunked-after-koei-tecmo-president-calls-nx-home-500211#.V8ZAXr0KWBI.twitter

Nintendo NX Update: Handheld Rumors Debunked After Koei Tecmo President Calls NX A ‘Home’ Console

Thought it was interesting. Never believed the NX was or would be a handheld/hybrid nonsense
Everytime you open your mouth you prove you're an idiot. ~Vegeta

Never argue with an idiot he'll bring you to his level and beat you with experience.

"I'm doing this because I'm PISSED! Why the hell didn't you ask for my help!?!?" `Roy Mustang  FMA

I could go into a Wendy's res

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1913 on: August 31, 2016, 01:00:42 AM »
how are they debunked? Like that didn't reveal anything about NX at all. Even more interesting it was in the context of VR.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #1914 on: August 31, 2016, 08:53:04 AM »
Koei Tecmo President and CEO Yoichi Erikawa seems certain the NX will indeed be a traditional home console.

Yup, that certainly seems like a rumor debunked. My eyes rolled so far back they fell off the edge of the level Donkey Kong Country style...
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1915 on: August 31, 2016, 12:40:02 PM »
Split d-pad?  Oh come on, Nintendo is going to rip off Sony's BAD ideas?  Hope that isn't true.  Nintendo's d-pads are the best.

Offline TOPHATANT123

• Wear a hat that's foil lined in case an alien's inclined to probe your butt or read your mind
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #1916 on: August 31, 2016, 01:58:54 PM »
What's wrong with split d-pads? I honestly can't tell the difference.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #1917 on: August 31, 2016, 02:07:09 PM »
D-Pads, ranked.

Nintendo>>>>Microsoft>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Sony.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #1918 on: August 31, 2016, 02:17:24 PM »
I've never had a problem with Sony's d pad.  I've never had a problem with most any d pads.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #1919 on: August 31, 2016, 02:34:01 PM »
D-Pads, ranked.

Nintendo>>>>Microsoft>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Sony.

I'm not a huge fan of Sony's d-pads (except the one on the Vita, which is great), but they're definitely better than Microsoft's.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline KeyBilly

• Donkey Kong is here!
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1920 on: August 31, 2016, 03:58:42 PM »
The rumors are falling into place so quickly now that there seems to be almost no reason for an unveiling.  Just tell us how much it costs and show us the games.  Although, the more specific rumors about dimensions and processors seem to be based on dev kits, which might be misleading in some ways.

The Sony D-pads are terrible, in my opinion.  A detached pad's main benefit is that it can also serve as buttons, similar to the C buttons on the N64.  Perhaps the purpose would be to make the layout more flexible in some cases, with a traditional Nintendo pad also being an option.  The controller rumors are just strange.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #1921 on: August 31, 2016, 05:46:32 PM »
Sony D-Pads are the best. You guys are crazy.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1922 on: August 31, 2016, 07:17:02 PM »
Via GoNintendo, More details from Letsplayvideogames

- detachable controllers
- split D-Pad, A, B, X, Y
- camera / share button
- size of dev kit is slightly thicker than the Nintendo 3DS XL when folded
- 25 mm, with a width of around 281 mm and a height of 92 mm with the controllers attached
- separated, the controllers have the same depth and height, and they both have a width of 38 mm
- console itself has a width of 205 mm
- TV port, headphone port, SD Card port, power button and cartridge port
- controllers connect to console via a hole in each side of the system ??
- button on the back of each controller that lowers the center spike that keeps it in place, making it eject from the system
- current NX development kits are region free
- those developing software for it have not heard anything about region locking being added before launch

http://letsplayvideogames.com/2016/08/report-nx-handheld-dimensions-layout-info-lack-of-region-lock/

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1923 on: August 31, 2016, 07:19:06 PM »
I wish we could get some more 'official' sources on this thing. Everything since Eurogamer seems to build off their rumor. I want to hear a slip from a developer or someone else respected.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #1924 on: August 31, 2016, 08:34:41 PM »
I wish we could get some more 'official' sources on this thing. Everything since Eurogamer seems to build off their rumor. I want to hear a slip from a developer or someone else respected.
Official sources likely won't happen until the big reveal.  I'm guessing most companies that really know what's going on have kept their mouths shut.