Author Topic: Switchmas Eve Rumors and Speculations Thread  (Read 670146 times)

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
Re: NX hot scoops straight from Google!
« Reply #1875 on: August 26, 2016, 12:43:40 AM »
Reggie is a politician. He says a lot of words and says nothing at the same time.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1876 on: August 26, 2016, 01:35:24 AM »
"We believe we’ve got a strong concept for NX" - this sort of line just cracks me up.  What, did Nintendo not think the Wii U had a strong concept?  It would seem pretty stupid for them to regard it as a weak concept and release it anyway.  I don't think Nintendo would release a product they didn't have confidence in.  Nintendo thought a tablet controller would sell the Wii U and it didn't so just because THEY believe they have a strong concept doesn't mean it is.

I personally don't care about a game system "concept" anyway.  The best consoles just have a great lineup of games and are sold at a price point the buying public is willing to pay.  There's a "strong concept".  Build a console that allows for that and you've got a chance.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #1877 on: August 26, 2016, 07:48:17 AM »
I wanna see the receipts.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #1878 on: August 26, 2016, 10:13:22 AM »

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #1879 on: August 26, 2016, 11:44:31 AM »
One problem I see with the detachable controllers is that Nintendo handhelds have traditionally been sturdy.  Aside from the stylus my 3DS doesn't really have removable parts.  I fear that if your handheld has this big section that routinely disconnects from it that over time whatever holds them together will wear out and the thing will separate in your pocket.  We've never had any issues like that or have had essential parts of a handheld that can get separated or lost from the rest of it.  The worst was losing the easily replaceable stylus or the battery "door" on the old Gameboys.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #1880 on: August 26, 2016, 11:48:14 AM »
One problem I see with the detachable controllers is that Nintendo handhelds have traditionally been sturdy.  Aside from the stylus my 3DS doesn't really have removable parts.  I fear that if your handheld has this big section that routinely disconnects from it that over time whatever holds them together will wear out and the thing will separate in your pocket.  We've never had any issues like that or have had essential parts of a handheld that can get separated or lost from the rest of it.  The worst was losing the easily replaceable stylus or the battery "door" on the old Gameboys.

That's why the latest patent about detachable controller's that don't use electronics, but only an IR camera into the controller itself is interesting.

The best consoles just have a great lineup of games and are sold at a price point the buying public is willing to pay.  There's a "strong concept".  Build a console that allows for that and you've got a chance.

I agree. I'm not too hung up on how you get there, just find a way!
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline MysticGohan

• I have a large position in nVidia.
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #1881 on: August 26, 2016, 12:40:43 PM »
Polaris reference in the DMP/Khrornos/Samsung/Xenco presentation might be a coincidence...but very interesting ;) https://t.co/sC5kuRXwu7

Seems interesting and more inline of what Nintendo will use.

I think he's on to something.
Everytime you open your mouth you prove you're an idiot. ~Vegeta

Never argue with an idiot he'll bring you to his level and beat you with experience.

"I'm doing this because I'm PISSED! Why the hell didn't you ask for my help!?!?" `Roy Mustang  FMA

I could go into a Wendy's res

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #1882 on: August 26, 2016, 04:08:12 PM »
Rumors from Emily Rogers. Not facts. Just rumors. Secondhand reports. Rumors. Things she heard. Not facts. The opposite of facts. Rumours. Fleetwood Mac.

- This article about NX's detachable controllers supporting force feedback and motion controls has truth. http://letsplayvideogames.com/2016/08/report-detatchable-nx-controllers-support-motion-control-and-force-feedback/
- NX prototype had a 6.2 inch 720p multi-touch touchscreen. Unknown if final product's screen size will be larger/smaller than prototype.
- Prototype for dock station has USB ports. I heard 2 usb ports, but I don't know if this number will change in the final product.
- MCV's report about GameFreak being involved with NX has some truth to it.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #1883 on: August 26, 2016, 04:26:50 PM »
Tiers for potential GF involvement:
C: Tembo the Badass Elephant port
B: Giga Wrecker (currently in Steam Early Access) is PC/NX
A: Upgraded Solatiba
Jesus F**k: Pokemon game
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #1884 on: August 26, 2016, 04:38:33 PM »
Not facts. The opposite of facts. Rumours. Fleetwood Mac.

So, Dreams then.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #1885 on: August 26, 2016, 05:01:28 PM »
My issue with the detachable controllers is that it seems like the wrong thing to detach. If you take the controllers off to plug the main unit into the dock, you can't use the touchscreen anymore. By far the best use of the touchscreen on Wii U was Super Mario Maker. Would you only be able to create stages in portable mode? That would be weird.

What if the SOC and cartridge slot were in a cartridge of sorts itself that you placed in the dock at home or controller when mobile? That way, you could still use the touchscreen if needed when docked. The shell without the main processors would essentially be a Wii U GamePad. Just an idea. That would add some extra weight to the thing though. If this thing is rocking a 6.2 inch screen, it's already going to be pretty unweildy for longer play sessions.

Anyway, I don't think 720p is something Nintendo would have considered if its console and handheld were separate. It's more of a battery drain. It'd be cool if that "brothers in a family of systems" led to a pro/elite version with a 1080p display. Let's go nuts. Throw a glass OLED screen in there and it can retail for 599 US dollars.

Offline Oedo

• This title is an insult!
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #1886 on: August 26, 2016, 05:05:07 PM »
I wouldn't be too bothered by this detachable controllers and force feedback stuff if games on the NX were still largely designed to be played using traditional controls. They'd have their work cut out for themselves marketing it though. It's definitely going to be a concern for a lot of parents.

Everything about that screen sounds too good to be true. I would be elated if that ends up being true. I know some will question the size given that it's meant to be a portable, but I don't think it's that out there. Nintendo would have to give people a compelling reason to take it with them when they leave the house, but the same is true of handhelds in general. The 3DS XL isn't exactly something you can comfortably stick in your pocket, so they've already crossed this bridge to a certain extent. I'd still take the under on the Nintendo's next handheld having a screen that big though.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #1887 on: August 26, 2016, 05:35:56 PM »
I think the DS and 3DS already show that two screens can be a good, viable concept if applied in the right ways. One of the main reasons why I think it works on the 3/DS and doesn't work on Wii U is that the screens are separate on Wii U, which makes it a lot more difficult to switch looking at them or to see both at the same time.

Offline MysticGohan

• View Profile
« Reply #1888 on: August 26, 2016, 06:14:31 PM »
Investors in Japan speculating NX handheld DMP chip based on yesterday's presentation. Interesting. https://t.co/RuMsWDYra9

Dave has come up with something interesting via happynintendofan.

Never argue with an idiot he'll bring you to his level and beat you with experience.

"I'm doing this because I'm PISSED! Why the hell didn't you ask for my help!?!?" `Roy Mustang  FMA

Offline MysticGohan

• View Profile
« Reply #1889 on: August 27, 2016, 02:26:24 AM »
https://youtu.be/We7VpbAkDBc

This sums up how I feel about emily's rumors.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #1890 on: August 27, 2016, 11:50:34 PM »
I think the DS and 3DS already show that two screens can be a good, viable concept if applied in the right ways. One of the main reasons why I think it works on the 3/DS and doesn't work on Wii U is that the screens are separate on Wii U, which makes it a lot more difficult to switch looking at them or to see both at the same time.

Yeah the DS and 3DS are more like one big tall screen that you can sort of take in all at once and switch between the screens with eye movement instead of cranking your head like the Wii U.  It's also a clever way to work around the limited screen real estate that a small portable device is going to have.  How do you make a bigger screen without making the device itself huge?  Split the screen in two and use a hinge to "unfold" it.  Screen real estate is not really an issue on a console when you've got a whole TV to work with, particularly now that we're in the HD era.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #1891 on: August 29, 2016, 03:26:04 AM »
Did you guys see this mock-up?

I think it looks pretty good. cool concept. could be very interesting.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #1892 on: August 29, 2016, 11:56:00 AM »
I'm hoping with that mock up that the controller parts can attach to the tablet in a horizontal orientation as well.  It would be way too restrictive otherwise and too different from everything else, which is a classic formula for weak third party support.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #1893 on: August 29, 2016, 12:59:54 PM »
*swipes left*
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #1894 on: August 29, 2016, 06:52:07 PM »
So, assuming that the NX uses an Nvidia Tegra chip (X1/X2), here's, at the very least, what you can expect visually. This is Shadowgun Legends running on the Nvidia Shield Android TV (Tegra X1, 3GB RAM).

I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Wah

• Social Worker who's hip with the kids
  • Score: -44
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #1895 on: August 29, 2016, 06:53:44 PM »
So what these theory's come down to is, that the NX is going to be a glorified Tablet.
Made you look ****.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #1896 on: August 29, 2016, 07:03:11 PM »
So what these theory's come down to is, that the NX is going to be a glorified Tablet.

Pretty much. And it wouldn't surprise me.

I really hope the hybrid idea is a environment to share the same games and not actually a handheld/console system.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #1897 on: August 29, 2016, 07:38:18 PM »
If that Controller Mock Up is real.  I agree with Ian Sane that it needs to be in the Landscape position as default.  Or at least be able to do Landscape connectability.

I understand Horizontal allows for easy porting of DS and Perhaps 3DS games to the system which would be a huge plus.  But that isn't enough.  Landscape is just more functional for gaming in general. 

If this is the direction they take I can see Nintendo doubling or quadrupling down on the Wii U idea actually.  The limitation of the Wii U was that you only had one tablet.  Personally I hope that with built in processors in the controller to allow it to be a mobile system as well...that means all controllers can have the WiiU tablet functionality.  If you could get fit a slightly upgraded 3DS into the controller that could be amazing...Sure the controllers might need to be expensive for an additional controller but they could break the price into 2 purchases to make it appear less.  $70.00 for the tablet that can play Nintendo's Cell Phone App games and connect to the internet then $30.00 for the controller shells?  It could be possible.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #1898 on: August 29, 2016, 07:51:21 PM »
Doubling down on the failed Wii U concept as if it was a great concept that just didn't work because of marketing or timing or a weak yen or whatever excuse Nintendo would come up would be such a Nintendo thing to do that it comes across as a satirical joke strategy someone would make up to mock them.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #1899 on: August 29, 2016, 09:50:34 PM »
Doubling down on the failed Wii U concept as if it was a great concept that just didn't work because of marketing or timing or a weak yen or whatever excuse Nintendo would come up would be such a Nintendo thing to do that it comes across as a satirical joke strategy someone would make up to mock them.

Perhaps...but honestly Nintendo always does this.  They have a great idea and try to implement it before the technology is fully ready or can be done affordably.  The Wii was a great example, but the controller tech should have been developed more and fully ready at the Wii Motion + level control or higher.  If Nintendo had waited and moved the motion control movement to this generation and Nintendo pushed hard into the HD generation last generation Nintendo would look much better with this movement into Virtual Reality coming into play.