Author Topic: Splatoon!! WELCOME - TO DYE!  (Read 131700 times)

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
Re: Splatoon!! WELCOME - TO DYE!
« Reply #175 on: May 10, 2015, 11:54:11 AM »
Played the last session against two people who were clearing using some cell phones to talk with one other, also most likely part of the QA testing team sense they seem to know "tricks" on the maps a tad to well.  In the Warehouse map there's a 2 story block that can't be painted but they were able to get on it by having one of them near it (far side of it from their spawn location) and having the other squid-jump from base.  The guy up top with a charged shot while the other guy was a roller. 

The spotter/sniper stayed up high while the roller guy painted like mad, get behind the roller guy and his buddy will shout out to him your location.  Played two rounds with these guys and they did the same thing both matches so it wasn't just random luck on their part.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: May 10, 2015, 05:58:56 PM »
I did get to a high point and start squirting the paths of the rollers later on. One issue due to the voice chat lacking was we weren't a team. We just did our own thing. Theres no guarantee what the other player is going to do in combination to what you do will lead to a specific outcome.

I could be the best team member, but if the other team are able to pull it together because my team mates are doing silly stuff then the chances of me winning are low.

Non team play would be kind of interesting. Where as you have individual players, a longer time period, and then you have several colors.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Nile Boogie Returns

• Tropical Freeze
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: May 11, 2015, 11:48:49 AM »
So its good?

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: May 11, 2015, 11:54:48 AM »
If you like a squad based shooter with no voice chat, yeah.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: May 11, 2015, 12:20:40 PM »
I really don't think the lack of voice chat hurts the game in a substantive way. It would almost never be used in a productive way, but it should be there just because it's the industry standard.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: May 11, 2015, 02:31:38 PM »
I only got on for about 5 minutes during an early morning window (it's all the time I had) but I enjoyed what I saw and did. The game is certainly lovely to look at. Like others, the default aiming was a struggle. With time, it could be better, or maybe just doing dual analogue will be the way to go. I also hope Wiimote and Nunchuk is an option at some point.
I want to play more. Soon, I will!
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: May 11, 2015, 03:49:08 PM »
I really don't think the lack of voice chat hurts the game in a substantive way. It would almost never be used in a productive way, but it should be there just because it's the industry standard.

The game is still fun, despite the lack of voice chat, but there were times I wish we could communicate objectives to allies. Honestly, I never really used voice chat in any games. There was a time I used to play Deathmatch on a team in Half-Life and I used to tie a cordless phone to my head. I think what Nintendo should do is allow voicechat to run on the system in the background, not as fed in by the game, like an extension of the video chat that is already there. You would just voice chat with your friends. Of course we would have to wait for Nintendo to think of this themselves.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: May 11, 2015, 08:47:47 PM »
Maybe it's just because I always turn off voice chat in Call of Duty games, but I didn't feel like this game suffered without it. The different weapons seem to have their roles to fill, so as long as people figure that out and can handle playing that style, it should be fine.

That said, I noticed that the D-pad had two shoutouts on it, "C'mon" and "Booyah!" If they made it so you could set up four custom shouts on the D-pad, just having things like "Over here!" and "Split up!" seems like it'd cover most sort of team strategy for the game.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: May 11, 2015, 08:59:32 PM »
You could work out a form of Morse code with those signals and get some pretty advanced communications going.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: May 11, 2015, 11:26:40 PM »
I wonder if you could rig something up...

Type a message into a separate keyboard.
Keyboard translates message into C'mons and Boo-Yahs.
Sends codes through Wii U to other side.
Keyboard on other side "hears" the messages.
Translates them to text that appears on the screen of the second keyboard.

I'm off to Kickstarter!
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: May 14, 2015, 11:22:48 PM »
Very impressive stuff:
Y button to recenter the camera was weird, but it actually has a lot of neat uses.

That's almost like God Hand stuff with quick turn arounds and multiple type of cancels stuff.

Mashing right trigger has tighter spread than just holding it. And shift canceled shooting has even tighter spread.

Very impressive depth for a multiplayer shooter. Not sure how useful it will be though with chaotic nature of online battles.

For this kind of gameplay depth to shine you need a long and challenging singleplayer that will force players to master these kind of tricks. As of now it looks a bit wasted for what it is.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline Ymeegod

• View Profile
« Reply #186 on: May 14, 2015, 11:42:40 PM »
Wonder has anyone read anything about idle players?  During the test fire it didn't seem to kick them and can you even join a match in progress?

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: May 19, 2015, 07:21:30 AM »
Nintendo Co. Ltd. has posted an unlisted video of good play with the Splattershot with paint balloons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzoypKcAmsU&feature=youtu.be

Also, it looks like the SplatoonJP twitter account has posted an image of most, if not all, of the perks for the clothing.

https://twitter.com/SplatoonJP/status/600600863636230144

Offline Enner

• View Profile
« Reply #188 on: May 20, 2015, 11:10:12 PM »
http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/wiiu/splatoon/0/0

Reading from the Iwata Asks, the conceptual phase began around August of 2013 (08/2013) while the game was 10% complete at E3 2014 (06/2014). Splatoon has been made on a shorter time frame than I expected.

Offline Ymeegod

• View Profile

Offline Ymeegod

• View Profile
« Reply #190 on: May 21, 2015, 01:06:13 PM »
Not sure if I like the idea of weapon upgrades/leveling in a casual shooter, especially given some of these upgrades like 2x fire rate is going be an extreme advantage against "newbies". 

Also there's a point sensor that will help a great deal IMO.  No more "roller" riding my arsehole :).

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: May 21, 2015, 01:24:23 PM »
Not sure if I like the idea of weapon upgrades/leveling in a casual shooter, especially given some of these upgrades like 2x fire rate is going be an extreme advantage against "newbies". 
Leveling and weapon upgrades are what made the most casual shooter (CoD) the most popular.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline Ymeegod

• View Profile
« Reply #192 on: May 21, 2015, 01:35:12 PM »
COD/TF2 you couldn't adjust your basic stats though, Splatoon is more like Destiny where high level guys have a clear advantage.  2x fire rate, increase damage output, and defence boost and you'll see my point.  There's a difference between the two.   

Offline Ymeegod

• View Profile
« Reply #193 on: May 21, 2015, 01:39:00 PM »
Other game for example, PvZ2 you have custom gear that clearly gives you the advantage but there's modes that disable them (welcome mat) but I'm not sure if Splatoon has something like that--it really should IMO.

Offline Enner

• View Profile
« Reply #194 on: May 21, 2015, 03:54:46 PM »
As I suspected, Splatoon is making the rookie mistake of having many of its perks be very obvious and simple attribute upgrades. Battlefield: Bad Company 2 had a perk that boosted damage and there was never a good reason not to use it.

We'll have to see how the game plays out in the months ahead to see if any of the perks are truly unbalanced. Hopefully the EAD team will be quick to balance the game as well as maybe introducing new abilities.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: May 21, 2015, 08:10:14 PM »
Really consider how they balance it.  I know personally since the game is mostly about covering territory that Damage upgrades would increase damage but reduce the amount of paint splattered on death.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #196 on: May 21, 2015, 10:36:48 PM »
My Splatoon kid is going to rock a varsity jacket because that's classic cool!  :)
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: May 22, 2015, 04:25:40 AM »
Yeah, since Splatoon isn't necessarily about dealing damage, I can't see the skill being all that useful except for keeping players from running around the map. It seems like there's different perks that might help more too.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: May 23, 2015, 06:20:32 PM »
played one game and then couldnt find tames, now it wont connect

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: May 23, 2015, 06:23:26 PM »
now it says server has reached its connection limit.