Author Topic: Nintendo Free Radio - Episode 2: Bust’n Beats On The Street  (Read 3756 times)

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Nintendo Free Radio - Episode 2: Bust’n Beats On The Street
« on: August 15, 2012, 09:08:50 PM »
This is how things get settled in our home towns.

Ryan is on vacation this week (wow, only 1 episode in and we’ve already killed our first editor!), but Stephen; Austen; and Donald are jazzed up to deliver this very musical encore performance.

In New Business, Donald appropriately kicks off the Prelude with tales of his “No deaths, SNES only, FINAL DESTINATION!” run through The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past.  Following a brief look at the GBA’s WarioWare, Inc.: Mega Microgames, “Impressions are…GOOOOO!” for the DS’s rhythmic Elite Beat Agents.  Afterwards, Austen continues the motif with an enthusiastic look at the recently-released PlayStation Vita/PS3 downloadable musical platformer Sound Shapes (a game with not one but TWO Platinum trophies, so of course he had to have it!).  Afterwards, strap yourself in for a lengthy Solo about how the writing and gameplay mechanics certainly aren’t the forte in the latest installment of the Kingdom Hearts series on 3DS.  Find out how the “Drop” system lived up to its name by encouraging him to drop the game after a few disappointingly painful hours.  Eventually, Austen wraps-up his New Business with an ironically-brief look at the PlayStation Network’s grind-heavy downloadable dungeon crawler Rainbow Moon.  Finally, Stephen brings the segment to a close with impressions of the perplexing (and apparently steamy) PC RPG The Witcher; some final thoughts on the 3DS’ Theatrhythm Final Fantasy; and his experience playing the mystical board game (Yes, Board Game!) The Magic Labyrinth with his son.

After the break, we begin our Second Movement going for the Gold by discussing what we’ve been watching lately, including the London 2012 Summer Olympic Games; the Secret World of Old Nickelodeon TV shows; and the anime Blu-Ray for the terrible, but aurally-pleasing, Escaflowne: The Movie!  Next-up, we have the long-awaited debut of Listener Mail, featuring a submission from beloved NWR listener Sarah from Iowa City asking why companies often release games from similar genres within the same time period!  We then conclude the show with our Grand Finale: “1Ups/Poison Mushrooms,” where we hand out praise and derision in equal measure to the best (and worst) things we’ve seen in the past 2 weeks.  Some topics include Japan’s fear of reverse importation, the 3DS’ “Download Later” feature, and the sudden trend of developers refusing to patch games on the Xbox 360.

The full crew should be back next time, but we’d love to hear your thoughts on this and past episodes, so feel free to drop us a comment in the Talkback thread or on our website.  Be sure to send in your Listener Mail as well, and (time permitting) we’ll read and discuss it on an upcoming show!  You’re also welcome to talk with us and other fine (and often eccentric) folks over at the Nintendo World Report Forums!  Finally, please don’t forget to rate us on iTunes.  We’ll see you in a few weeks, but until then we hope you enjoy the show!

MP3: Grooved to the Internet!
M4a: His Canned Heat is in his Heels!

Subscription Feed!
Subscribe with iTunes!  Its almost like the real thing...

This podcast was edited by Stephen Shook. Music for this episode is copyrighted to Yoko Kanno; her band, The Seatbelts; Victor Entertainment; and the band Canned Heat. This music is included under Fair Use protection.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 09:30:32 AM by Ceric »
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
Re: Nintendo Free Radio - Episode 2: Bust’n Beats On The Street
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2012, 09:20:41 PM »
Cool I will likely listen to this.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2012, 09:27:15 PM »
Cool I will likely listen to this.

You should.  You were indirectly mentioned in Now Foruming.   ;)
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2012, 09:32:34 PM »
Hmm really? Thanks for the shoutout!
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Lithium

• disparaging user title
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2012, 10:13:13 PM »
i really dislike podbean just because it forces me to sign up to have the privilege of getting the podcast RSS feed (or if not, all pod casts that use podbean just link to the sign up page instead of just giving us the URL)

since i signed up anyways: http://nintendofreeradio.podbean.com/feed/

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2012, 10:16:52 PM »
i really dislike podbean just because it forces me to sign up to have the privilege of getting the podcast RSS feed (or if not, all pod casts that use podbean just link to the sign up page instead of just giving us the URL)

Yeah, we had to go with Podbean in the end because they offered the best storage for our needs at the lowest price.  Thanks for the RSS link, though. I'll ask Ceric to put that link up on the page.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2012, 10:34:51 PM »

I actually haven't ran into that.  I'll have to keep an eye out for that happening.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 10:40:01 PM by Ceric »
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2012, 08:30:13 AM »
Escaflowne sounds intriguing, then you realize it's an anime.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2012, 08:34:36 AM »
Escaflowne sounds intriguing, then you realize it's an anime.

The original Vision of Escaflowne anime TV series is a masterpiece (from a FAR better anime era) and one of my All Time Top 3 Favorite anime. The movie? Not so much, though the soundtrack is still outstanding.  It's a Yoko Kanno OST so of course it's great, regardless of the quality of the show.

It's also notable that the TV show came out around the time of the original Evangelion TV series, and it's a fairly welcoming show with likeable characters.  The movie came out 5 years later in the post-Evangelion era, and it's extremely violent and moody with emo/suicidal characters.  Coincidence? I think not. Very little touched by the specter of Evangelion was ever better as a result, IMO.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 09:02:58 AM by broodwars »

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2012, 05:39:48 PM »
Hearing the conversation about game releases after everything got pushed to February was kind of hilarious in hindsight.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2012, 09:52:49 AM »
The AAC version is up and running now: Download

Also, there's a link to an RSS feed on the Podbean page that doesn't require sign-in, but it's at the bottom of the page (under Feeds).
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Lithium

• disparaging user title
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2012, 10:05:28 AM »
Extra Credits is awesome, glad there's a shout-out to it at the end there. I kind of like the now watching section as well, although i never got around to watching escalowne (it's been on my "to watch list" for ages)

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2012, 03:44:00 PM »
The AAC version is up and running now: Download

Also, there's a link to an RSS feed on the Podbean page that doesn't require sign-in, but it's at the bottom of the page (under Feeds).

You can also just click the Audio MP3 or Audio MP4 logo and those are direct links as well.
I got rid of that Download button to make it easier.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 03:47:16 PM by Ceric »