Author Topic: 3D Classics Kirby's Adventure Review  (Read 3523 times)

Offline King Bowser Koopa

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 7
    • View Profile
3D Classics Kirby's Adventure Review
« on: November 22, 2011, 11:39:19 AM »

This may be the first must buy 3D Classics game!

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/review/28505

The original Kirby's Adventure was a simple and fun title, expanding the first game, Kirby's Dream Land, into a franchise and unleashing unto the world one of the most unique and adorable video game heroes in existence.

It was much, much longer than its predecessor, featuring hidden switches to unlock new areas of the world maps, branching paths throughout some stages, trickier bosses than ever before and, most importantly, the introduction of Kirby's copy ability, allowing him to steal enemies' powers and weapons and use them for himself. The game received almost unanimous praise in its increased length and difficulty over the original, as well as the whimsical design and execution.

Despite all the love though, it was bogged down by a few small problems of glitchy backgrounds and screen borders, and frequent slow-down during action-packed levels. You usually couldn't use Kirby's Crash attack without a small amount of lag before the animation and sound kicked in.

Fortunately, these shortcomings are completely eradicated in Arika's 3D revamp of the NES title. One of the first things to note about the game is how incredibly clean it looks, with nary a glitch to be seen. In fact, on the smaller screen of the 3DS the old 8-bit graphics compress tightly together into a rich, colorful world full of charm.

The 3D does wonders for the presentation of the game. Platforms and walls crop out in front of the backdrop, while doorways recede away into the back, inviting you to see what lies beyond. Backgrounds have multiple layers of depth as well, making for some gorgeous cloud effects. For a 2D platformer eternally locked into a side perspective, the amount of contrast is very impressive. Suffice to say, 3D really does improve on the original game, making you look at the levels in ways you never have before.

Being an enhanced port rather than a remake, there's not much to mention besides the graphical changes. It's the same game as always, with no new content to discover besides a recorded high score in the game's boot menu.

If you already own the NES version on Wii's Virtual Console, the visual additions may not justify the comparably large price, but Kirby fans are urged to check this out. If you loved the original game, get ready to love it all over again. All of the performance problems of the original game are gone and the surprisingly captivating 3D makeover stomps any other signs of aging firmly into the dirt. It was fun then, it's still fun now, and if this is a taste of what's to come in future 3D Classics titles then I'm greatly looking forward to them.

Andrew Brown - NWR Australia Correspondent

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
Re: 3D Classics Kirby's Adventure Review
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2011, 12:45:28 PM »
Anyone else kind of disappointed with this release? It seems like they knew the game was good enough to sell, so the developers put the least possible effort into the upgraded version. Compare this to the effort that was put into making Urban Champion more appealing and it's a clear let down. As someone who does own the Virtual Console version, there is no incentive for me to rebuy at a higher price.

On the other hand, Kirby's Adventure has always been a fun (if short and easy) game. Getting a portable version with a cool graphical upgrade really isn't that bad.
NNID: ejamer

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2011, 09:42:25 PM »
I thought that NWR review policy forbids putting the price of the title into consideration in a review....
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2011, 01:19:27 AM »
There's much more gameplay in Kirby's Adventure. The other 3D Classics are on par with it in terms of upgrades. Urban Champion is an exception because the game is so simple that changing the camera angle to showcase the 3D was relatively easy.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2011, 10:35:37 AM »
I thought that NWR review policy forbids putting the price of the title into consideration in a review....
Last I heard it explained is that it isn't forbidden its just strongly discouraged and should only be used in making a clear point.

Take Skylanders for example.  Neal wouldn't dock points for its high price point and let it be a major factor in the review.

Now take Cave Story.  You can get at there core the exact same game for WiiWare, DSiWare, and 3DS Cart.  Here price becomes a factor simply because there are already multiple versions of the game that can give a comparable experience and the justification to get the newest one is on the additional content and in the case of Cave Story the upgraded visuals.  Here paying what is an extra $30 for essentially the same game you can get on the system is a big factor.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline King Bowser Koopa

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2011, 11:47:31 AM »
As a Kirby fan I'm not disappointed that I purchased two copies of the same game, as the 3D adds enough variation to make such an old game feel new. It's such a small graphical change, but it feels more like a feature than a gimmick. If I ever want to play it on a bigger screen or with the old glitchy graphics for nostalgia factor, I'll just boot it up on my Wii.
I'd love to see them work on Super Mario 3 or Castlevania, and what new perspective the 3D capabilities can add to the table. Who knows - if Arika eventually expand into SNES games we may see some of the already spectacular games like Super Mario RPG or the Donkey Kong Country games in a whole new light.
Andrew Brown - NWR Australia Correspondent

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2011, 12:57:58 PM »
I really like to see Super Mario Bros 3.  I also wouldn't mind seeing Super Metroid.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline greybrick

• Up the Irons!
  • Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2011, 10:35:02 PM »
I blew through the purchase menu for this one and freaked out after I realized that I had just paid $6.99 for an NES game. Fortunately, it is great. I've only played Dreamland 1 & 2, so this is a great nostalgia trip while still feeling a little fresh.
Bless you, my child.
Please turn the power OFF.

And Jonny, you don't ride the giant Cheep-Cheep

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2011, 11:32:34 PM »
I don't recall the original game having any performance issues.