Author Topic: Hockey Discussion: The Leafs Would Like To Borrow Taylor Hall's Horseshoe  (Read 184881 times)

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Hockey Discussion
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2011, 12:13:11 PM »
As of this moment the Vancouver Canucks are in first place of the entire league.  This franchise does not exactly have a tradition of excellence so I am going to enjoy this moment while I can.

Unfortunately I have not watched too many of their games.  Football season has kind of distracted me.  I get a little more into hockey after the Superbowl, when it can have my undivided attention.  It is not surprising though that the Canucks are doing well.  They often go on a tear if I'm not watching and then turn into lazy bums once I do. ;)

If things keep going this well I think they should make some trade deadline deal to put us over the top.  When you're a real contender you have to go for it.  The team should be focused on winning the cup this year.  Since Mike Gillis became GM every trade deadline has come and gone with the Canucks not doing anything.  Then the team loses in the second round.  We're not a rebuilding team thinking about the future.  The future is now and Gillis should be thinking about what extra piece could send us all the way.

Offline Armak88

• Score: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2011, 05:46:22 PM »
It's okay, they're still going to blow it in the playoffs.
"I'm not going to ban you yet just in case you really are a huge fan of bean bag chairs..." - Pale

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2011, 05:56:39 PM »
My team needs to fire its coach yesterday. And they don't even have a first rounder to work with. :(
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2011, 06:11:52 PM »
  It's okay, they're still going to blow it in the playoffs.

Oh probably.  But this year let's at least get to the conference finals.

Offline Armak88

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2011, 06:27:27 PM »
Haha I typically pull for the canucks in the playoffs because I'm a leafs fan and they won't be there so I'd just like to see a Canadian team (not including the sens) take the cup. I think that as long as the Canucks keep coming up against the Flyers they will keep getting knocked out. The Flyers play fast physical hockey and I think the Canucks are just too fragile to survive a long series against them. If the Canucks are going to make a serious playoff run then they need Luongo to be at the top of his game every game, which he has yet to do.

Edit: I can't believe I forgot to mention the Canada vs USA world junior game. Going for the gold baby.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 06:43:51 PM by Armak88 »
"I'm not going to ban you yet just in case you really are a huge fan of bean bag chairs..." - Pale

Offline Shaymin

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2011, 10:20:50 PM »
The third period of the gold medal game - that was a dream, right? We didn't just get served by the Cardiac Comrades?
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2011, 12:10:35 PM »
Armak, did you mean the Blackhawks instead of the Flyers?  That's the team we have lost to in the second round two years in a row.  The Flyers play in a different conference so to the only way to face them is in the finals.  If there is a Canucks/Flyers series, well, then Vancouver has shown they can make a serious playoff run.

On that note, even though the Flyers are kind of like the villian franchise of hockey, I find myself often rooting for them because they're usually such a good team and contend almost every year.  If you look at their history, since their cup wins in the 70's they consistently get back to the finals or conference finals every so many years but never win the big one.  That must drive their fans absolutely nuts.

Losing gold in the world juniors doesn't matter that much to me because Canada wins gold all the time.  For each year we lose we win like three.  It's more the Olympics that affect me since a loss there means waiting four more years to get another chance.

Offline Armak88

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2011, 11:40:51 PM »
Yes I did mean blackhawks I don't know how I got that screwed up. I was pretty disappointed that we didn't win gold only because they showed that they had what it took to win and then gave it up. Otherwise I think along the same lines as you, we win so often that history is stacked in our favour no matter what. Also when you could make almost an entire team of junior eligible players who don't play because they are in the NHL I'm not too broken up about it.

Offline RABicle

• Used to be The Finisher
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2011, 01:59:20 AM »
I keep meaning to troll this thread by talking about the Murdoch University hockey team and our drunken adventures at the Uni Games.
Pietriots  - Post ironic gaming log.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2011, 02:10:50 PM »
Feel free to do so; as I said in the opening post, this thread is open to hockey discussion on any level, not just the NHL, mainly so I would have a place to brag when my college's women's hockey team wins the national championship.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline apdude

• Not Robin
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2011, 03:31:53 PM »
Well in order to stop the sharks downward sprial on the Western Confrence standings they picked up Wellwood and Eager off Waivers.  I have doubts that this will do much of anything, however their last two games give me a glimmer of hope but it looks like just making the playoffs is about the best they can do.  Tonight against Vancouver should be a good test if they are going to compete or not.

Offline Shaymin

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2011, 05:14:49 PM »
Well in order to stop the sharks downward sprial on the Western Confrence standings they picked up Wellwood and Eager off Waivers.  I have doubts that this will do much of anything

It'll cause the pressbox to collapse.
Tutorial box out.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2011, 05:22:45 PM »
So here we are a month later.  The Canucks are still in first which is pretty damn cool.  But things aren't all wine and roses.

Edler, Ballard, Hamhuis, Alberts and Bieksa are all injured.  That is five of our top six defencemen.  Are you kidding me?  The only one of the top six still active is Salo, the glass man who could injure himself sleeping, who had been out all season until now.  I figure it's only a matter of time before he's out again.  These last few weeks have been like dominoes.  Each game some d-man gets injured.  Here at work we were at first joking about it but as it has compounded no one is making light of it anymore.

The most frustrating thing is that the defence was largely considered the missing piece in making this team a contender.  We clearly had the forwards and goaltenders but our lack of defence kept us trapped in the second round.  So this year our GM makes the moves to improve the defence.  And the team is number one!  The move is paying dividends.  But with our entire defence out injured are we not now vulnerable to the same weakness as before?

Now it's only February and the general feeling is that we realistically can get most, if not all, of these guys back by the playoffs.  And with the lead we have missing the playoffs just isn't a real threat.  But, man, you feel like the hockey gods are out to get you when you specifically address your previous shortcomings only to have that negated due to incredibly bad luck.

That dreaded "this is when it all fucks up" feeling is creeping in.  Any fan of an underachieving team knows that feeling and only recent championships can cure it.

Offline Shaymin

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2011, 05:37:05 PM »
If you combine the Penguins forward lines and the Canucks defense, I'm not sure that team would finish above .500 in the ECHL.

So Toronto went from 0 first rounders in June to 2 inside of a week, unfortunately they're probably going to be late first rounders (21-30) in a draft that is extremely top heavy. This is where Burke makes his money, though.
Tutorial box out.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2011, 06:04:00 PM »
One things Leafs fans can feel good about is that Burke is admitting his original strategy didn't work and is doing things the right way now.  The timing isn't so hot though considering this draft is not supposed to be very deep.  Ottaw is also rebuilding and has been collecting draft picks but if it's a lame draft year will that do much good?  The funny thing with draft picks is unless they're like top five they aren't gimmes.  You have to know what you're doing or they're worthless.  I find it funny when you see trades for second or third round picks.  "This will prove useful in a our rebuilding process!"  Unless you have good scouts what good are draft picks that late?  It's like trading for a lottery ticket.

Offline apdude

• Not Robin
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2011, 07:24:27 PM »
Well the sharks added some help on the blue line by aquiring Ian White.  Haven't seen him play much since he's been in the east this year but seeing as how he's been on two teams already this year I don't think he will be the missing piece that can get the sharks back into top contender status.  But I'm feeling better about there chances of just making it to the playoffs which was in serious doubt about a month ago.

As for 2nd and 3rd round picks, they are probably more useful than you think and it's better than losing the player at the end of the season for nothing.  The draft is kind of a crap shoot even drafting in the first round so the more picks the better the chances someone can develop in the juniors and become a decent NHL player. 

Offline brain

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 26, 2011, 04:30:33 AM »
Hockey this game is very interesting?

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 22, 2011, 06:55:07 PM »
I'm really pissed at the NHL right now. Tuesdays are the longest and most strenuous day of the week for me this term, and I've been looking forward to watching the Flyers-Capitals game all day, only to find out when I got back to my apartment that it's on Versus, which isn't on the campus cable package. I pay good money for GameCenter Live, but it's blacked out because it's nationally televised.

Putting the NHL on Versus because ESPN wasn't willing to pay as much was really stupid and shortsighted. Hockey is a great sport that doesn't get the attention it deserves, and it's not going to get it on Versus. Being on ESPN would give the league a lot more exposure, both by more people getting it and by ESPN having to not ignore the sport completely like they currently do. I never saw ESPN mention NASCAR until they started airing races, and I'd bet they'd pay a lot more attention to the NHL (read: any real attention at all) if they were broadcasting games. Also, they'd get to bring back the awesome, awesome National Hockey Night theme music.

J.P. Corbran

Offline apdude

• Not Robin
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 22, 2011, 07:11:23 PM »
Versus is the most BS channel ever.  The coverage of the games is horrible.  I mean for god sakes they used to add in the horn sound when the visiting team scored.  Do they really think that that will get more people to watch or help casual hockey viewers appreciate the game more?  Plus they give that analysts Pierre McGuire more air time than he should ever get (more than 5sec).  Every question or comment he makes has something to do with Sidney Crosby, and the rest of the time the VS coverage discusses Ovechkin.  Granted they are great players but come on... we get it already, I mean ESPN would at least occasionally talk about teams other than Detroit and New York.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 23, 2011, 12:31:38 PM »
It really feels like hockey became irrelevant in America once they stopped showing it on ESPN.  It's not uncommon to get this attitude from American sports fans that are only three big sports instead of four.  I never noticed that until the NHL went to Versus.

ESPN is a big part of sports culture.  If you see them covering a sport you don't assume that it's because there is some broadcasting deal, you assume it's because the sport matters.  And the reverse of it is true.  No one assumes that the NHL isn't on ESPN because they couldn't get a deal done.  The natural assumption is that hockey doesn't matter so ESPN doesn't waste time covering it.  If you didn't follow hockey regularly you would think "boy the NHL must be a pretty small time league now if even ESPN doesn't cover it.  They cover every sport.  They're the sports network."

Of course here in Canada I get to watch hockey on CBC, Sportsnet and TSN.  The only time I've ever seen Versus is the occasional game where they lose the Canadian feed for whatever reason and temporarily switch the American one.

When is the stupid Versus deal done?  You would assume the NHL would jump at the chance to go back to ESPN.  But the NHL does not like admitting mistakes, thus they take on the Phoenix Coyotes and bend over backwards to keep them in a market that really doesn't seem interested in them.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 23, 2011, 12:38:03 PM »
From what I understand, the Versus deal isn't exclusive, so the NHL could put games on ESPN in addition to the ones on Versus.

J.P. Corbran

Offline apdude

• Not Robin
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 23, 2011, 12:54:57 PM »
Occasionally our local comcast station broadcasts games from other markets using their local broadcasters which is far and away better than the "national" coverage because you get more indepth coverage of the teams that are actually playing.  I hope Comcast does this more often instead of putting them on VS.

As for the game last night I could only watch the 2nd period, but the Flyers came back to force OT after giving up 3 early goals.  I know you'd like 2pt every night but thats a pretty good sign of there resiliency and will come in handy during the playoffs as it did last year against Boston.  As long as they win their division they should be in good shape for at least the first round match up, and no one is going to catch Van for the presidents trophy.  The West is still wide open (except for Van).  As much as I hate Ana and Dal, it would be something to see all 5 pacific division teams make it.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 23, 2011, 05:37:54 PM »
no one is going to catch Van for the presidents trophy.

It's pretty damn cool to read that.  :D

Of course that brings about a very unfamiliar scenario in the playoffs.  The idea of the Canucks winning the Cup has always been a "wouldn't it be nice" sort of thing.  Aside from the delusional fans that think every year is "the year" there has never truly been any expectations of winning the Cup here in Vancouver.  The desire has always been there but never the expectation.  Even when we made it to the finals in 82 and 94 it was a nice surprise.  No rational person expected them to go that far when the playoffs started.

This season if we don't win it will be considered not just a disappointment but an outright failure and a chokejob.  As a Canucks fan I've never encountered this sort of situation.  The Senators recently had to go through this and they failed.  The Sharks and Capitals are going through it now.  If we don't win we become one of THOSE teams where every season the "will team X get over the hump" story comes up.  If the Canucks don't win this year then that will become the future story.

I suppose it's the interesting dilemma in life.  The closer you are to success the disappointment of failure also increases.  Every winner has had to face the prospect of a devastating loss.  Of course after 40 years its about time this franchise took that step for good or bad.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 23, 2011, 07:35:39 PM »
Vancouver's not going to win the cup; the Flyers are going to get out of the funk they've been in recently and get Pronger back in time to get hot going into the playoffs and win it all.

J.P. Corbran

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 24, 2011, 02:57:03 PM »
I just did some random youtubing (testing out the HTML trial I joined 5 seconds ago) and ran across this video from 3/22

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CP72FLS4s4&feature=

How is that possible? the puck changed directions on it's own.