Author Topic: Spring needs players!  (Read 1187 times)

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
Spring needs players!
« on: April 20, 2007, 08:51:08 AM »
Well, some people say Spring's playerbase is receeding so I thought I should tell some people about it.

Spring is a nice opensource RTS engine that can run several "mods" (not really mods since there's no base game). It's built to handle even large scale games with large, unrestricted armies and big maps. Kinda like Supreme Commander except it runs even on old PCs (I often encounter people with <2 GHz CPUs and I doubt those are Core2s).

You can get mods and maps from Unknown Files. There's a lot of Total Annihilation related material for Spring but that's not all there is, you should try a few different mods to see what suits you.

Since some say we should direct people to mods rather than just the engine I'll point out Kernel Panic which I did some work for, it's a VERY fast and simple mod, matches go maybe 5 minutes, if that.

CvC is "my first mod", though I improved it a bit since then. Yeah, it's ugly but it has some neat carnage so if you like huge armies and explosions everywhere you can give it a try.

The most serious mod I play these days is Gundam due to its unconventional combat (no real counters) and because I don't have to worry about expansion :P. There's a new version coming soon and the test versions (sorry, not public) are awesome.

Oh, did I mention all of that is free? There's no real Singleplayer, just some crappy AIs that crash all the time but there's online and you should give that a try. If you're unsure you can watch other people play or try to find some beginners to play against. You'll find that I listed none of the most popular mods here but I figured those really don't need advertisements.