Author Topic: February = RPG heaven  (Read 4463 times)

Offline DrForester

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
February = RPG heaven
« on: February 02, 2003, 01:27:17 PM »
As I look at the month, i see a lot of RPG's comming out.

We already had Skies on the GC last week, and a lot more are planned this month.

We've got .hack//Infection comming out next week, as well as Breath of Fire 5, and Dark Cloud 2 for the PS2.  Week after that we have the Zelda Bonus disk (Well it's not really an RPG, but close enough).  Then the last week of the month, we have the "Xbox Live Screwing" Phantasy Star Online, and the long awaited Xenosaga.

.hack, Xenosaga, Zelda and Dark Cloud 2 are the ones i'm going to try to get this month  
"I see you've decided to go psycho.....godspeed"

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
February = RPG heaven
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2003, 01:56:05 PM »
I've been a Nintendo fan all my life, but it really kills me that I am not going to have much of a chance to play Xenosaga.  I might rent a PS2 and have a 72 hour marathon when Xenosaga comes out though.  I want the game a lot.

But Skies of Arcadia comes first.  As soon as it arrives in my area, I will be sure to pick up a copy.
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline nitsu niflheim

• Eye-Candy Andy
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
February = RPG heaven
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2003, 02:37:21 PM »
I only played Breath of Fire 1 & 2 on the SNES when they orginally came out.  I passed on  BoF 3 & 4 because I really didn't like BoF 2.  And Breath of Fire: Dragon's Quarter doesn't even sound good to me, the whole thing that if you die you have to start over from the beginning of the underground world where they live.  Yes you keep everything, but the idea of having to backtrack like that, if this is even true, turns me off.  Besides i am getting Xenosaga to keep me busy, I have Final Fantasy Origins to keep me busy, and Skies of Arcadia to keep me busy until the Zelda Bonus come sin in February, then The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker to keep me busy too.

I didn't like Dark Cloud all that much, really felt like I wasted my money so I won't even bother getting Dark Cloud 2 at full price, maybe when it's less than 20.00.
Currently Reading:  Odd Apocalypse ~ Dean Koontz
Currently Watching:  ?

Offline "Sky"

• View Profile
February = RPG heaven
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2003, 11:26:02 AM »
I really wish they didn't change the name of Dark Chronicles to "Dark Cloud 2" for North America... really would hate to associate Dark Chronicles with Dark Cloud... ah well...
Trust me though, Dark Cloud 2 is a much different game than Dark Cloud. They have similar elements, but Dark Cloud 2 is worlds better (maybe a bit of an exaggeration there but hey, it's still quite a bit better).

Zelda= Adventure

Anyways... not going to go into that debate here... the 2 RPGs I anticipate most right now are Star Ocean: Till the End of Time (greatest battle system in an RPG EVAR! Well... at least that was the case with Star Ocean: The Second Story so I'm looking at this one to be just as good, if not better) and Star Wars Galaxies.

I also anticipate Xenosaga, Dark Cloud 2, and I want Skies of Arcadia. But Star Ocean: Till the End of Time is way on the top of my list as far as console RPGs go.
Breath of Fire isn't really a great series IMO. The first one was decent but not really deserving of high praise. The second one was quite bad. I never played 4 though and only a little of 3.
.hack I'll wait and see, it's an interesting game but I think this game is more of a style over substance type of game. I'll probably buy it in the end though as I do with any game I anticipate whether they turn out great, good, decent, flawed, and so on and so forth. Only difference is that how it turns out determines whether I wait for the prices to drop or not

Offline yrrab436

• View Profile
February = RPG heaven
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2003, 06:15:09 PM »
RPG Heaven indeed.  I'm currently basking in the greatness that is Skies of Arcadia Legends.  I haven't played Ocarina of Time since a few months after it came out, so even though I got everything I don't remember it too well.

SOA, then the Zelda bonus disc, then Xenosaga, and then Wind Waker!  Then, it seems there's a breif gap in the games I want (the most) so I can recover funds.

Edit:
About the whole Zelda=adventure thing, I agree it's not worth debating.  I don't think there is any reasonable definition that clearly defines the difference between and adventure and RPG.

Offline EggyToast

• View Profile
February = RPG heaven
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2003, 09:57:35 AM »
Especially for console games.  Games like Planescape:Torment, which are certainly much more "RPG" than something like final fantasy, are still ultimately linear games where you play a character, rather than take on a role.  It used to be that RPG meant turn-based and adventure meant live action fighting (like the difference between ChronoTrigger and Secret of Mana), but even that's not very applicable nowadays.

Offline SilverBack1138

• View Profile
February = RPG heaven
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2003, 08:29:52 PM »
I already have Skies of Arcadia Legends.  I have some bills to pay like my credit card for the last batch of games that I bought and also since I have to pay for next quarters classes and books.  I already have Zelda paid off and I definitely plan to buy .hack and Xenosaga after these bills are paid off.  I really shouldn't be buy so many games since I also have to pay for college, and I don't have as much time as I used to since I just got a full time job, but I love gaming so much.  I should probably wait til summer arrives because I do any more game buying.  I have enough games to keep me busy during my gaming time.
Professional soldiers are predictable, but the world is full of amateurs.