Author Topic: Super Meat Boy (Wii U) Review  (Read 2373 times)

Offline Daan

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
Super Meat Boy (Wii U) Review
« on: May 24, 2016, 12:33:04 PM »

Nintendo fans finally get on the Meat Boy hype train. Choo choo!

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/review/42738/super-meat-boy-wii-u-review

Times have changed. Back during the WiiWare era, one of the titles that was scheduled to arrive was Super Meat Boy, a hard as nails platformer that would follow in the footsteps of its Flash original. Sadly, it fell apart due to the restrictions of WiiWare and Team Meat moved the title to the Xbox Live Arcade service. Six years after its initial release, Super Meat Boy finally arrives on a Nintendo system. Was it a little late? Of course, but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be on the Wii U.

Do you remember the days of hard platformers on the NES and SNES? That is the best way to describe Super Meat Boy. This 2D precision platformer requires you to deal with a large variety of obstacles and to reach he end. With objects like pits, spikes and blades that won't be an easy task. They are placed quite strategically, so thinking before you act is pretty much a requirement. Your challenge is to get through the level safe and sound and reach Bandage Girl, who has been taken away by Dr. Fetus.

The levels itself are short enough that you want to keep playing. There is a certain level of frustration when you are constantly failing, but you know that it can be done. Every time you try to dodge a new obstacle, you become smarter as a result and are ready for the next challenge to be even harder. Expert players will find themselves going through worlds with ease and going for the various trinkets on offer. There are secret characters like CommanderVideo, levels with a look of older systems and bandages that are put in sneaky places. Super Meat Boy is a rewarding game through and through.

The urge to replay will also help you get the hang of the controls. There is a slight floaty feel to the controls that feels odd at first, but nothing that some time and effort can't fix. The buttons and actions are responsive outside of it, so most players will know what to do after a while. One thing that I do need to add is that I mostly played with the Wii U Pro Controller. Considering you have to hit certain buttons within a time frame, it is nicer to have the buttons closer to one another. Players who do prefer the GamePad get the option to play without a television, which is standard fare for the system.

There aren't many changes in this version of Super Meat Boy, which is a bummer for those who would like to double dip. The only difference is the soundtrack, which is quite different from the original. The new tunes aren't bad and I bopped my head more than once while playing. The veterans will likely not escape the feeling that they are missing something however. The game looks nice enough on the Wii U and runs without a hitch, so there is at least that. It is a color spectacle that you should at least experience once.

Super Meat Boy remains a fun game, even after many years of waiting. The hard as nails platformer will provide hours of levels and secrets to uncover for those in the need of a challenge. While you can enjoy Off-TV Play on the Wii U GamePad, I found myself playing through the game with the Pro Controller. A lot of precision is needed, so having a controller with the buttons closer to one another is important. You won't beat the feeling that it is sort of floaty, but players will get the hang of it eventually. And when you do, it just comes together in a grand way.

Offline kokumaker

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Super Meat Boy (Wii U) Review
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2016, 07:48:15 PM »
And just in time for it to become a freebie on Xbox, too.

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2016, 12:06:33 AM »
One of the all time great platformers. I played through much of it again with the PS+ release some months back, and I honestly didn't notice anything about the music, but then again I'm not one of those video game track freaks.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 12:30:30 AM by MagicCow64 »

Offline buttle

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2016, 02:00:48 AM »
I've gone through most of this game with friends, but now I'm really getting to put some time into it since it came out on the Wii U.  This game is an absolute 10.  The level design, the control, the system of getting new characters with bandages along with finding and beating tough extra levels, the dark world, the replays. 

This whole thing just works.  Absolutely amazing game.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2016, 09:51:54 AM »
Meh. There's obviously a lot of care put into development, but I didn't find anything ground-breaking or particularly enjoyable about Super Meat Boy.

If you want a platformer with floaty (but consistent - so they can be mastered if you care enough) controls, an intentionally high level of difficulty and some trolling for good measure, then this is a fine choice.

Might have been better if it wasn't a relatively expensive port of a game released many years ago, or if there was some extra content. I struggle to see how it gets recommended on Wii U when it's available many other places cheaper - but I supposed some people don't have any other options.
NNID: ejamer

Offline Penguin_Of_Thyme

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2016, 06:25:43 PM »
I love Super Meat Boy. Have it on Xbox 360 and PC. I sadly have zero interest in playing the game with the new soundtrack. I thought the original music was perfect and playing the game without it just feels wrong. However, I think newcomers who didn't experience the original soundtrack will have a blast.

Jared Rosenberg
Video Producer, Nintendo World Report