Author Topic: No longer finding competitive online fun. Anyone else?  (Read 17509 times)

Offline NeoStar9X

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
No longer finding competitive online fun. Anyone else?
« on: September 25, 2011, 10:46:34 AM »
Came to a conclusion this weekend that caused me to cancel my pre-order for Battlefield 3. I simply no longer care about competitive online play. As far as action goes anyway. Racing against others still is fun and I think is the most fair out of all the genres that have competitive multiplayer. It's just as relaxing to me as single player play. So that might be the only exception.

I guess my focus on it in recent years was an attempt to be apart of the crowd. Connect with other gamers. Also it could be a general acceptance and attempt to deal with the direction the gaming industry was headed in. Being primarily a single player gamer for years (RPGs and Platformers) the focus on multiplayer was something I didn't care for until I got into MMORPGs. However that was cooperative primarily and I could ignore PvP if I didn't want to take part. I tired of compromising what I'm really interested in to be honest in the end. That's not to say I didn't enjoy myself when I play Call of Duty, etc. I just don't want to do it anymore going forward.

This thankfully will save me a LOT of money as I take a pass on some of these games and spend more time on MMO ($15 a month is cheaper then several $60 or less games a month or every other month). Or I could wait until some of these upcoming games are dirt cheap just so I can experience the single player game.

Anyone else find they are tired of the competitive scene? Adjusting around it? Cooperative > competitive?

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
Re: No longer finding competitive online fun. Anyone else?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2011, 10:57:19 AM »
Hmm I guess I have found as I aged that I don't find competitive play isn't really my thing anymore. I can find room for maybe one main competitive game with a smattering of co-op games and single player games but for the most part I find having online games which is just hanging out with others or playing cooperatively with each other is more my thing as far as online games go. 

I guess it depends on the type of competitive play we are talking about and what genre of game it is.  For the most part I think I have kinda grown out of competive online games.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2011, 10:58:49 AM »
Nope, no such worry for me. I don't enjoy most mainstream FPSes online though because I don't like the hide and seek balancing of e.g. Call of Duty. Something like Space Marine is fine.

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2011, 12:05:30 PM »
Came to a conclusion this weekend that caused me to cancel my pre-order for Battlefield 3. I simply no longer care about competitive online play.

Battlefield? There's your problem. You need a game that's fun to play instead. Go back and play Quake or Unreal. :P
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2011, 12:41:31 PM »
I haven't really cared for your typical "deathmatch" style of multiplayer probably since the N64 days with Perfect Dark.  I find it gets repetitive quickly and boils down to everyone using the same weapons in the same places at almost the same time every match.  It certainly doesn't help that since Modern Warfare released, all the weapons in online FPS games seem to be the same: a half-dozen variants on a submachine gun/assault rifle, 1 sniper rifle, and a rocket launcher.  It just gets dull fast.

That said, I have recently gotten into playing Resistance 3's multiplayer, which is severely unbalanced right now (the Atomizer and shotgun are pretty overpowered)  but very fun.  I think the key there is that you have a wide variety of weapons with these crazy alt-fires that change how you react to a given situation.  For instance, the Atomizer is basically a flamethrower when you get down to it that shoots electricity instead of fire...that has an alternate fire that releases a singularity that drags foes out of cover.  Then there's the Rossmore shotgun that can (when leveled-up) shoot fire and has an alt-fire that releases an incendiary grenade.  Then there's old standbys like the Auger, which allows you to shoot and see through walls like Perfect Dark's Farsight with an alt-fire that places a shield that repels incoming fire.  I could go on, but it all leads to a much more fun experience for me, despite the multiplayer being pretty standard FPS.

Incidentally, I thought Bioshock 2's multiplayer worked pretty well as well, since you had all these players with all these plasmids running around, and you could collect XP doing tasks other than shooting people.  Uncharted 2's co-op was really good, though it's Deathmatch modes were pretty "blah".

Oddly enough, the multiplayer I thought I really would enjoy in Killzone 3, because of the innovative "Warzone" and "Objective" modes?  Eh, all the weapons feel more or less the same and players on both teams more or less look the same, if you can see them at all.  Fun, but not spectacular.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 01:16:53 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2011, 02:23:53 PM »
I felt like Bioshock 2's multiplayer was fairly boring.

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2011, 04:03:47 PM »
I haven't really cared for your typical "deathmatch" style of multiplayer probably since the N64 days with Perfect Dark.  I find it gets repetitive quickly and boils down to everyone using the same weapons in the same places at almost the same time every match.
Did you know Perfect Dark has random weapon settings available? There's a group of us that play the XBLA version online all the time...

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2011, 04:22:27 PM »
I haven't really cared for your typical "deathmatch" style of multiplayer probably since the N64 days with Perfect Dark.  I find it gets repetitive quickly and boils down to everyone using the same weapons in the same places at almost the same time every match.
Did you know Perfect Dark has random weapon settings available? There's a group of us that play the XBLA version online all the time...

I don't have my 360 hooked up very often, but I appreciate the offer.  I just never feel like playing the games I have on my 360 enough to hook it up.  But I'll keep an eye out the next time I'm on my 360 (whenever that is).
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2011, 04:43:34 PM »
Just PM me or friend request me on XBL when you do and I'll invite you to our reindeer games. That goes for anyone else who is down for some PD. :3

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2011, 07:44:36 PM »
I've never really gotten into competitive online multiplayer with random people. I love playing against people I know, but I almost never feel like jumping in against strangers.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Kwolf

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2011, 06:05:16 AM »
I actually stopped playing these things about in 2004.   Voice chat was starting to become normal and I just found I didn't like hearing people get angry or mad all the time.  It wasn't even voice chat that killed it directly, but the attitude of most general gamers mixed in with it.

I just don't even want to try to deal with the elitism, whining, angry, or complaining that seems to fill those kinda games anymore.    (Kinda hypocritical since I am whining about it now :)    )

It's not like I am against online games, I love playing coop with friends and family.   I love occasionally running into new people to play with too through my friends.  I just like to play things coop now with people who want to talk and be friendly, than play with people who don't understand games are for fun.

So I guess the answer is I just got burned out on them, and now most of my online gaming comes to the rare occasions that I can play with more relaxed friends ,rather than trying to deal with public competitive games.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2011, 06:38:54 AM »
Sometimes its fun, but other times you run into assholes who think things like K/D ratio and all that crap are the only thing that matters in life and they cuss on the microphones and say you suck and this and that. These sorts of players only play the games to stroke their egos, and they kinda ruin it because I'd rather just play for fun.

The thing is, many of these games like COD are rated M, but most of the problem players and indeed most players on there in general are probably too young for the M rating and shouldn't even be playing it at all. Its too bad there is no way the ratings system can't be strictly enforced, and I'm not just saying in terms of age, I mean in maturity too... because just because someone is over 17 doesn't mean they are mature. It would be nice to be able to play a game without seeing avatars of swastikas, penises, or klansmen. These retards are exactly the sort of people the M rating should exclude.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 06:43:39 AM by Chozo Ghost »
is your sanity...

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2011, 07:46:18 AM »
Didn't Microsoft at one point try to split XBox Live in such a way that groups with similar habits would play together.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2011, 08:35:38 AM »
The only online multiplayer game I've played in years has been Team Fortress 2.  That's because it was basically free (until I paid 2.50) and I typically play classes that play very different from most fps.

I really hate that companies are focusing so much on not just competitive online but the very tip top of the players.  Starcraft 2 was designed around the competitive scene.  The way battlenet locks you in so they can control tv in Korea to how they released only one race in single player. DOTA2 is Valve's next big game and they had a million dollar tournament BEFORE THE BETA was even released to the public.  I already despise the amount of "watch me play" videos but this was ridiculous because unless it was an exact copy of the first one you wouldn't even know if they did something right or wrong much less the fact that the pool of players was obviously ridiculously small for an expensive tournament.

The more ubercompetitive a game gets the less fun I have.  The classic example is Smash Bros (final destination, etc) but I see it in other games now too like Team Fortess 2.  Competive involves no random critical hits quite often as well as strict weapon and player limits despite the fact that I wouldn't play with so few players unless there was nothing else available.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2011, 09:28:01 AM »
The only online multiplayer game I've played in years has been Team Fortress 2.  That's because it was basically free (until I paid 2.50) and I typically play classes that play very different from most fps.

I really hate that companies are focusing so much on not just competitive online but the very tip top of the players.  Starcraft 2 was designed around the competitive scene.  The way battlenet locks you in so they can control tv in Korea to how they released only one race in single player. DOTA2 is Valve's next big game and they had a million dollar tournament BEFORE THE BETA was even released to the public.  I already despise the amount of "watch me play" videos but this was ridiculous because unless it was an exact copy of the first one you wouldn't even know if they did something right or wrong much less the fact that the pool of players was obviously ridiculously small for an expensive tournament.

The more ubercompetitive a game gets the less fun I have.  The classic example is Smash Bros (final destination, etc) but I see it in other games now too like Team Fortess 2.  Competive involves no random critical hits quite often as well as strict weapon and player limits despite the fact that I wouldn't play with so few players unless there was nothing else available.
I'm going to say your being unfair to Starcraft 2 a little.  There is a lot more Single Player content then warranted by how Blizzards been making money off of the Starcraft brand for soooo many years, multiplayer.  It might only be one race but it has a lot of features that the multiplayer do not and enough content to be a satisfying game on its own.  Just as much as the original SC and Broodwars.

Now Warcraft 3 I would say yeah that criticism would be warranted.  You couldn't even get every unit in Single player. (whereas in SC2 it has units you can't get in Multiplayer like the Walkers whose names escape me but they can shoot Land and Air at the same time for relatively cheap.  A swarm of them with a Research ship can be devastating.)
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2011, 11:53:43 AM »
I've never really gotten into competitive online multiplayer with random people. I love playing against people I know, but I almost never feel like jumping in against strangers.

Strongly agree, with the caveat that I usually enjoy playing with people that I "know" from online forums. It  helps when the game isn't straight competitive though - either cooperative or team-based are more interesting for me.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 12:06:18 PM by ejamer »
NNID: ejamer

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2011, 03:55:50 PM »

This.  I always liked playing with my real life friends, but they've all either grown up too much or don't have enough time.

Also, my Internet connection was too crappy for online gaming most of the time for a long time.  It's improved dramatically since a couple of months ago.  I should probably try again.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2011, 06:53:54 PM »
I think it's the type of games you guys play. I really really love 'Gun Game' in Black Ops. It's fast and frantic, yet requires strategy on how best to use your next gun. And ending with the ballistic knife, a knife I actually own and love, is the best thing ever.

I can only see it getting better if instead of facing 5 other people, I faced 5 of my friends. I just don't have that many friends who have free time when I have free time and want to gather and play video games. Usually, we gather and get drunk.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Morari

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2011, 07:15:50 PM »
Soldier of Fortune had a game mode almost identical to Gun Game. It was pretty fun.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2011, 08:19:13 PM »
I bet if you played Demon's Souls you'd find online play fun.

Offline NeoStar9X

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2011, 08:39:21 PM »
Sometimes I wonder if it really is the community or if it's just war game after war game.  Reason I was interested in Battlefield 3 was because the last FPS I really enjoyed playing and I mean a lot was Battlefield: Bad Company 2. Everything I've played after it (mainly Call of Duty games, Resistance 3, Killzone 3, and even the Conduits and Goldeneye) just hasn't provided that level of enjoyment even though they were fun. The biggest difference I can think of is BC2 was very cooperative to a large degree, especially since I mainly played the Medic and Engineer classes. I'd say it was equal on that front as it was competitive. You had to work as a team where everything else is really every man or woman for themselves.  So perhaps it is the game modes as suggested in the end and not simply a case of being stick of FPS in general. In CoD I enjoyed Domination (capture and hold three objectives) a LOT compared to team deathmatch but not many people played that mode. So when forced to play one mode mainly it takes it's toll.

This has caused BF3 to go back on the pre-order list. :( I keep trying to stay away, make a decision, but I guess I'm weak willed. That or nothing really else can fill the void no matter how much I look. Though it could be removed once again tomorrow with how things are going. Changed my mind about MMOs. Still to burnout after I tired FFXIV again. Thankfully I tried that without putting any extra money down.

I'd like to play mainly with real life friends but that hasn't been an option since freshman year of college. I recall we had a semi dorm wide game of Return to Castle Wolfenstein a few times. That was a LOT of fun.

Edit: Bah off the pre-order list again. Need to practice better self-control in gaming.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 12:01:58 AM by NeoStar9X »

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2011, 11:17:06 AM »
The epitome of Local Multiplayer is College Dorms.  If you desperately need that feeling again you'll have to go back to living in a College Dorm or equivalent (Some Frat houses work as well.)

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2011, 12:08:39 PM »
I don't play games competitively mostly due to the fact it sucks the fun out of it. When I mean competitive I mean starting with "Clans" and upwards from there. I have no problems playing competitive games, but once you get groups forming with the labels and internal politics, playing other clans for rankings, it brings the worse out of people and attracts the worse people.

Then there is the personal aspect where now there is something at stake real or imaginary so you want to win more leading to a feedback loop where you start putting in ever increasing amount of time and effort to get that enhanced winning high. The game becomes work as you go practice rather than playing the game. Then I have to personally deal with some of the most offensive people who have no filters of any kind which put the term Assburgers to shame. I don't mind if your crass with your jokes, but holy ****, some people have issues.

I have absolutely no problems playing/joining with social groups/clans though, as they play for fun and are quite happy to toss out the losers. I still want to win, but losing isn't an issue unless someone intentionally tanks the game.

I also play games that inherently cooperative like L4D2 and Urban Terror in CTF mode. I avoid the Mega shooters(COD, BF, CSS etc) like the plague as they have serious player base maturity issues coupled game design that encourage agression even with fellow teammates with things like rankings, promotions, achievements.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Morari

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2011, 12:14:01 PM »
Having a "clan" is about the only way to consistently play team-based games. Playing with random people generally results in poor cooperation and bad game experiences.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2011, 12:20:16 PM »
You can get good games with random people, but its a crap shoot. All it takes is just one retard on either team to drag the whole team down and ruin things.
is your sanity...