Author Topic: Super Mario Galaxy 2 to Feature Traditional World Map  (Read 11240 times)

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
Super Mario Galaxy 2 to Feature Traditional World Map
« on: March 22, 2010, 03:08:48 PM »
The sequel to Super Mario Galaxy drops the hub world in favor of a more traditional map.
 http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/newsArt.cfm?artid=22788

Shigeru Miyamoto has confirmed that Super Mario Galaxy 2 will feature a traditional world map instead of a 3D hub world. The concept of the hub world was first introduced in Super Mario 64, with Peach's Castle serving as the hub. In Super Mario Galaxy, Rosalina's Station was the hub world to many of its levels.    

When asked about why Super Mario Galaxy 2 now features a traditional world map, Miyamoto explained that, "We want players to focus on the joy of the action instead of getting to each game course. We wanted to make it as accessible as possible and as easy as possible for the players. Also because weÂ’re going to incorporate a number of different stars and conquering all the stars is going to be one of the most challenging missions for the player, we want them to understand as easy as possible where they should go next and which places they should go back to in order to get access to the remaining stars."    

Miyamoto then compared the world map to the recent New Super Mario Bros. Wii, saying that "You can think of it in terms of something similar to Super Mario World or New Super Mario Bros. Wii, where you will have a rather convenient map to navigate."

Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline rad.i.kal

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
    • Scribble People
Re: Super Mario Galaxy 2 to Feature Traditional World Map
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2010, 10:35:14 PM »
i quite like this idea. its cool how back to basics nintendo is getting, yet they still have a very relevant product

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2010, 11:00:32 PM »
I'm sure they will do a good job, but I like the hubs (even though the one in Super Mario Galaxy was not as big as Super Mario 64).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2010, 11:04:18 PM »
Galaxy's hub was one of its few flaws.  I'm very happy to see this change.  Galaxy 2 seems to focus on interesting level designs, so a map makes it much quicker to get to the point.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2010, 11:23:23 PM »
It's going to feel a little sad to not have a pseudo-home in the game, but I do appreciate the quicker access to levels.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2010, 11:30:09 PM »
I don't mind it at all. Mario games are supposed to be platformers and having a central hub or overworld or whatever makes it feel more like an adventure game. I don't really feel a game of this type should have much in the way of exploration, the challenge is about getting things done, not figuring things out. This game seems even more to strive for pure platforming than Super Mario Galaxy did, and as far as I'm concerned, that can only be a good thing.

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2010, 11:32:58 PM »
They're going to simplify it for dumb people and make the game harder at the same time?

Why can't they use the Super Guide to tell the player what to do next?

« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 11:43:49 PM by Zap »
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2010, 11:40:18 PM »
If Nintendo isn't going to do a better job of designing these hubs and making them fun to explore, then I guess a simple map is preferable. However, the maps in both NSMB games are pretty bad themselves. You can either do a clean, fast menu or create an integrated world, but these compromises in-between don't work for me.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Guitar Smasher

• Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2010, 12:27:41 AM »
They're going to simplify it for dumb people and make the game harder at the same time?
It's not just for dumb people.  It lets you jump right into the action, rather than climbing through the station to get to the observatories, to get to the level you want to play.

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2010, 01:14:28 AM »
I never, NEVER liked the hub worlds in the 3-D Mario games. While they are fun to dick around with (if you crack the game code that is... which I can't do), I preferred the traditional Mario platforming.

I love this news so much.

[quote author=Jonnyboy117 link=topic=30916.msg595120#msg595120 date=1269315618 However, the maps in both NSMB games are pretty bad themselves. You can either do a clean, fast menu or create an integrated world, but these compromises in-between don't work for me.
Menus are boring. NSMBWii brought back nostalgia with it's world map, and I love it.
Peachy got himself a 360 Slim. ...Yahoo?

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2010, 01:44:04 AM »
I prefer the traditional map too. The hub aspect of Super Mario Galaxy is actually one of the things keeping me back from finishing it. Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Sunshine pull it off nicely, but all the extra hoops to get to where you want to go in SMG make it actually kind of annoying.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2010, 04:06:07 AM »
I actually liked the hub worlds...
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2010, 05:31:09 AM »
So, are the nodes on that map individual levels (er, stars) or whole areas (like the galaxies in SMG)? In the former case it replaces the buffet style level selection of 3D Mario with the more linear structure of 2D Mario, in the latter, not so much. The former would be preferable because it makes you do specific levels instead of picking different ones until you've completed a set number. No need to worry about what level would be a good choice, just select the next level and fight until you beat it.

Offline Michael8983

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
N/A
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2010, 07:01:58 AM »
N/A
« Last Edit: January 28, 2022, 04:07:08 AM by Michael8983 »

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2010, 07:04:07 AM »
This is a win to me. I'll take the classic Mario style world-maps over the hubs any day.
It's good to know that the massive success of New Super Mario Bros Wii has inspired Nintendo to reintroduce some more traditional elements to its other Mario titles. Now if only the game featured true multi-player - I'd even be happy with Mario and Luigi playing in turns.

I always wondered why Nintendo dropped the 2-player turn taking with Mario 64. True, turns could take a lot longer, but it would have been nice to have the option.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Michael8983

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2010, 08:05:33 AM »
I always wondered why Nintendo dropped the 2-player turn taking with Mario 64. True, turns could take a lot longer, but it would have been nice to have the option.

We still know very little about SMG2 so it might still be a possibility.
The Galaxy titles are more linear and platform-based than Mario's other 3D adventures so the turn-taking would be more appropriate. The other player could take on cursor-duties and collect stars while waiting. There could even be the option to swap characters at will

Ok here's a tantalizing possibility. Could Galaxy 2 feature the Koopa Kids now that they've been reintroduced in NSMBWii?
How amazing would it be if each Koopa Kid had his/her own planet to lord over.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2010, 11:56:51 AM »
I enjoyed Sunshines hub world the best, but in the end, it becomes a distraction to the game.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline D_Average

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2010, 12:04:21 PM »
The hub in 64 was perfection. The hubs in Sunshine and Galaxy were very interesting but ultimately too spread out, which made jumping from level to level a bit tiresome. I'd prefer a well thought out hub by I guess it's not that big of a deal. It should certainely make collecting all thestars more effecient.
Don't hate me, hate the money I see, clothes that I buy
Ice that I wear, clothes that I try....

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2010, 12:06:48 PM »
meh if it wasn't for how I felt the first time playing 64's hub world, I don't think I would remember it so fondly (although paintings as levels is still fucking genius). One of the best parts of that hub was looking up towards to Sun Mural and instantly being dropped into the sky, but that would only work occasionally. Why I like Sunshine's world so much is because I could water ski endlessly!
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2010, 12:07:36 PM »
I kind of like the idea of hub-world for the 3D games and world map for the 2D ones.  It's no big loss but I liked that as a distinction between the two types.

Miyamoto's explanation though comes across as a polite way of saying "we're dumbing it down for stupid rubes who can't figure out what to do next."  If you honestly get lost in a 3D Mario game I'm surprised you can find the room where you keep your TV and Wii in the first place.  Nintendo really does give people way too little credit.  Non-gamers are not nearly as helpless as they think they are.  We live in the age of electronics.  You can't survive if you're that stunned.

Offline Rize

• Disgruntled
  • Score: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2010, 12:47:25 PM »
This is a good idea.  For a game Metroid Prime, a good hub is essential for maintaining continuity and immersion (the gunship worked as well), but Mario games don't need that kind of immersion.  Miyamoto is always full of great ideas.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2010, 01:49:33 PM »
The hub world was the best map in Mario Sunshine.

I liked Rosalina's floating place in Galaxy too.

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2010, 01:52:29 PM »
The hub world was the best map in Mario Sunshine.

I liked Rosalina's floating place in Galaxy too.
Both were good design wise, but they really broke up the flow.
Peachy got himself a 360 Slim. ...Yahoo?

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2010, 03:01:49 PM »
Not really. The hubs gave a sense of continuity to the game and were interesting to explore.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2010, 03:23:21 PM »
The last 2 hubs weren't interesting to explore.  Lots of "neener-neener, this ___ is locked so you can't go there yet despite being in plain view" with nothing out of the ordinary too find.  Castle64 actually had the joy of discovering new paintings/stages and pathways, but that was a lead-in to 3D Zelda.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.